• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

v1perz53

Ugh I can't use an Assassin after all. Starting a battle hidden changes the order of abilities, so when I use Triangle to select last action, it selects the wrong thing. Sounds silly, but this is actually causing random battles to take 2-3x as long because I can't just hold Triangle at the start if the monsters are easy trash, but instead have to select my skills. Sucks, because I was really liking the idea of Assassin after reading about it, but it isn't worth it to me if it will make the trash battles (the least fun part of the game) take significantly longer.

Also, speaking of the difficulty, I am finding it kind of unfortunate. The last two bosses were incredibly easy, with
Venus
taking only 3 rounds and
Lulu
literally dying to one hit from raged Mars. And I would up the difficulty, but I still encounter random battles every now and again that can kill me/give me trouble. Like those big hands in the castle would randomly squish and instakill a party member. And then there are the battles that are like 4 rows of garbage monsters. And as I said, I find the random battles to be the least fun, so I don't really want to up the difficulty and make those harder, but I wouldn't mind the bosses being a little tougher like they were at the start of the game. Only a mild complaint though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The DLC the japanese global version re-release is getting looks cool, pity its highly unlikely we'll get it http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/26/demon-gaze-global-version-disgaea-cameos-another-crossover/

yep had talked about that earlier in the thread its the artwork from the manga that got released here its actually good asides from getting used to tge art style change personally if they had that writer on the game would have made for more if an interesting story i think

Maledict

I think I've missed something. I've beaten Neptune, and am now completely stuck on where to go next. I have a quest to investigate Lord Shark but no idea where I should go for that, and there's nothing obvious on any of the maps I can see.

Anyone any suggestions?

Lord Shark is part of the storyline. You can't miss him and the next part of it takes place in the Grimodar Castle itself. Just keep progressing like you would have.

v1perz53

I think I've missed something. I've beaten Neptune, and am now completely stuck on where to go next. I have a quest to investigate Lord Shark but no idea where I should go for that, and there's nothing obvious on any of the maps I can see.

Anyone any suggestions?

I remember being stuck after Neptune as well. If I recall correctly, you have to do all the side quests, including mimic and king's ring. And the way it works is a little funny, where you think you can do something but really can't until you talk to someone else. I can be more specific if you want, tried to avoid spoilers if possible.

Parakeetman

I'm not able to find the second instance of Hermes. I've looked all over StarCurtain to no avail. What am I missing?

use the map the op has linked im not at my pc so cant help you myself currently. most likely a hidden door somewhere

lots of folks got stuck there

v1perz53

One thing I find myself appreciating about this game is that some of the later dungeons are a bit shorter and more condensed. I like that when entering what seems to be the "home stretch" the dungeons have less circles and are quicker, gives it more of a climactic feel especially after the absolutely monstrous areas of Venus and Astro. Glad Uranus and Pluto are more condensed.

Though I will say, they did a terrible job balancing the passive abilities of the Demons. I feel like going anywhere at all without Chronos is a huge liability. The floor tiles don't do a ton of damage, but the fact that every time you take damage from one it interrupts auto walk is very annoying. It is just too useful an ability to give up. Similarly, Mars' bonus to damage makes battles so much faster that it is annoying not having her. None of the other demons have abilities that so heavily influence the time it takes to get through the game.

v1perz53

I've used maps for every dungeon while playing, really helpful and I don't feel bad about it at all. I don't feel any prouder of myself if I walk around with Comet and see the gear sign versus just knowing there is a door, and 9 times out of 10 a gazer memo will give it away anyway. Don't really think the hidden doors added much to be honest, but they weren't that much of a pain either.

I just got this last week and I'm having fun with it. My current party is my gazer, paladin, ranger and wizard. I just defeated Hermes for the first time and got to the night forest area...I forget the actual name, it's past the door the pixie opens up for you.

I found something....and fell....and pretty much got wiped out.

I think I may have to save that for later. I'm going to save up and make my fifth a healer.

My guys are only level 10 or so and I don't have a lot of buff/debuff spells.

I'm not one to get too particular with party builds. Is this a normal difficulty spike?

Uthred

I just got this last week and I'm having fun with it. My current party is my gazer, paladin, ranger and wizard. I just defeated Hermes for the first time and got to the night forest area...I forget the actual name, it's past the door the pixie opens up for you.

I think I may have to save that for later. I'm going to save up and make my fifth a healer.

I'm not one to get too particular with party builds. Is this a normal difficulty spike?

Ha, I died there too, thats not a difficulty spike, its an optional boss, you can safely leave it for now

v1perz53

Yea, assuming I understand correctly what part you are talking about, you were fighting the side quest boss that you don't actually need to fight until you have the first five demons. I did the same thing, fought it early and got annihilated. Don't worry about it for now. Though this game does have a habit of making you think it is all smooth sailing then wham, something incredibly difficult happens.

So I found my last missing skull so I guess back to platinuming this.

So, where's the best place to farm the S-rank weapons,
Black Cage or God's Eden

Still not liking how I have to go through such a distance to get to either dungeon too.

Dark Sol
is also causing me problems though it's mostly that I'm not dealing enough damage fast enough compared to the minions spawning and him healing himself :E

v1perz53

This game is such a tease. Just finishing the game leaves you like 4 trophies short of the platinum, seems like it is so attainable. Then you start farming for Muramasa and man, they couldn't have made it more annoying if they tried. Whats the point of not being able to save in
Quasar's area
if you can just go down a floor and save anyway? Just makes it so incredibly tedious to farm these dumb swords.

This game is such a tease. Just finishing the game leaves you like 4 trophies short of the platinum, seems like it is so attainable. Then you start farming for Muramasa and man, they couldn't have made it more annoying if they tried. Whats the point of not being able to save in
Quasar's area
if you can just go down a floor and save anyway? Just makes it so incredibly tedious to farm these dumb swords.

It actually gets pretty easy and cheap if you just cheese the fights by going to Cold difficulty. At that point, I was basically clearing each circle in less than 5 turns so the whole grinding through them wasn't that tedious.

Speaking of which I finally found the last sword I needed,
god all those Wedding Invites are such trolls
, so platinum get. Fun game, a little hampered by all the grinding in the end, but I enjoyed it.

Bo_TDLzCYAImIYy.jpg:large

Man, I've been enjoying the shit out of this game since I started it a week or two ago. I've never liked grid-based first person dungeon crawlers but this game is making me want to try some other ones.

I'm finally at the part where I'm supposed to go to the castle, and the naked lady is crushing my berries. Should I just grind some more, or is there a specific strategy I should be using?
Gazer, Paladin, Wizard, Healer and Ranger.

Verelios

Man, I've been enjoying the shit out of this game since I started it a week or two ago. I've never liked grid-based first person dungeon crawlers but this game is making me want to try some other ones.

I'm finally at the part where I'm supposed to go to the castle, and the naked lady is crushing my berries. Should I just grind some more, or is there a specific strategy I should be using?
Gazer, Paladin, Wizard, Healer and Ranger.
Definitely pick
Neptune for healing every turn. This is imperative. Maybe. Or if you're offense based, Demon rage Mars and go all out. All out. Hope one of you kills the other. If your gazer doesn't have Demon Rage, level him up to it. You don't have to, but it makes the fight less shitty.
Astarte was a huge ramp up in difficulty. My Gazer was 18, my healer 14, archer 12, paladin 16, Samurai . You're already ahead of me since you don't have a Samurai. Worst boss encounter member, ever.

v1perz53

Funny thing is by later in the game Astarte becomes a normal trash mob you fight with other mobs. Super annoying one too, if you are holding triangle and don't realize she cast veil!

Syrinx

Quick question: am I supposed to be able to use Mars after sealing her, or do you get the key later on? I'm only asking because my character died during the fight with her and now I'm not sure if I've screwed up letting that happen and now I'm never getting her or that I can't use her immediately after getting her.

Oh also, I can't seem to figure out how to open the gate near the entrance in the Slave Grave. I suspect that's where the last circle I haven't found yet is. I already killed the vines.

Quick question: am I supposed to be able to use Mars after sealing her, or do you get the key later on? I'm only asking because my character died during the fight with her and now I'm not sure if I've screwed up letting that happen and now I'm never getting her or that I can't use her immediately after getting her.

Oh also, I can't seem to figure out how to open the gate near the entrance in the Slave Grave. I suspect that's where the last circle I haven't found yet is. I already killed the vines.

You should be able to use Mars as soon as you go back to Fran and do the quests she asks you to (talking to people mostly).

v1perz53

That gate doesn't open until way later. If you're ever missing a circle it is likely behind a hidden door where you need to kick a wall to get it to appear. I found it stupid wandering around with Comet looking for these so I just used a map to see where they were, there are links to maps in the OT. But if you want to do it "legit", have Comet as your active demon and walk around the entire edge of the map until you see that pink gear and kick there.

E: Actually there are several gates there, one actually goes to the area of one of the last demons, there might be another gate you're talking about. But it still comes down to kicking walls and finding the hidden door.

Parakeetman

That gate doesn't open until way later. If you're ever missing a circle it is likely behind a hidden door where you need to kick a wall to get it to appear. I found it stupid wandering around with Comet looking for these so I just used a map to see where they were, there are links to maps in the OT. But if you want to do it "legit", have Comet as your active demon and walk around the entire edge of the map until you see that pink gear and kick there.

E: Actually there are several gates there, one actually goes to the area of one of the last demons, there might be another gate you're talking about. But it still comes down to kicking walls and finding the hidden door.

Or you can just do what I do an kick every single fucking wall in the game.

everyone.gif

People should be thankful this isnt like another Wizardry game Ive played that had actually electrified walls. I think they even had a darkzone + electrified walls. Cant remember which game it was though... Thats most likely is a good thing.

Parakeetman

Why would you ever need to kick randomly? There are notes for everything.

Because I played the JP version and dont care about the online features? Its the same for Demons / Dark souls I turn off all the online shit since its about me vs the game. The last thing I need is a bunch of stupid bullshit written all over the place.

Im exactly the same in real life. Almost get killed by something, recover and train, make my way back just to give it the big fuck you all by myself. At least being in a hospital for over a week I got to play a lot of Tactics Ogre with all the funny equipment hooked up. Not fun when you got an IV needle shoved into the backside of your hand slightly above where the wrist bends though. I remember every time Id move my wrist slightly I could watch blood shoot back up into the tube. Was messing with that for a while till the nurse told me to cut it out when she came to check up on everything haha.

In my original save the one that got deleted by my own stupidity made finding the mushrooms and skulls pretty easy. Its not that hard to move around normally and kick everything too while you are opening up new areas. But there are pretty obvious kick here spots, I just chose to kick everything for the hell of it.

v1perz53

I actually hated the note system. Every time I saw a dead end with a note I was like "well, guess there's something there" and it totally ruined any chance at finding cool surprises on my own. I played the early levels with no notes and it was actually kind of cool when I saw a wall and was like "this seems suspicious" so I kicked it and got an early artifact gem, but notes totally ruin it. That and every third note is someone going "Hot load in Fran" or something dumb.

I totally prefer using a map to using the notes, because I can choose if I want to check a map or not, those notes are there no matter what I do giving away all the details whether I read them or not. I would have played the whole game without notes except for the fact that it asks you every damn time you load a level and eventually I accidentally hit yes. And once you have notes, there's no way to get rid of them that I have been able to find.

In my original save the one that got deleted by my own stupidity made finding the mushrooms and skulls pretty easy. Its not that hard to move around normally and kick everything too while you are opening up new areas. But there are pretty obvious kick here spots, I just chose to kick everything for the hell of it.

My main problem with the Skull/Mushroom system is not only do you have to kick the right spot, but you have to have a specific demon with you, and I almost never had the right demon. Ain't no way in hell I'm walking around any of the early places without Chronos, and if I only have two demon slots it is almost guaranteed I don't have the right demon. And in the end with 8+ demons I don't feel like doing 3 laps around the map kicking every wall with every demon. Plus, you can accidentally sell the treasure maps, but they are unique so you can't ever get them back even if you did want to use their terribly unhelpful hints. Like, what the hell does "requires demon power" mean? How was I supposed to know it meant
Pluto
? Aren't they all demons?

Parakeetman

I actually hated the note system. Every time I saw a dead end with a note I was like "well, guess there's something there" and it totally ruined any chance at finding cool surprises on my own. I played the early levels with no notes and it was actually kind of cool when I saw a wall and was like "this seems suspicious" so I kicked it and got an early artifact gem, but notes totally ruin it. That and every third note is someone going "Hot load in Fran" or something dumb.

I totally prefer using a map to using the notes, because I can choose if I want to check a map or not, those notes are there no matter what I do giving away all the details whether I read them or not. I would have played the whole game without notes except for the fact that it asks you every damn time you load a level and eventually I accidentally hit yes. And once you have notes, there's no way to get rid of them that I have been able to find.

My main problem with the Skull/Mushroom system is not only do you have to kick the right spot, but you have to have a specific demon with you, and I almost never had the right demon. Ain't no way in hell I'm walking around any of the early places without Chronos, and if I only have two demon slots it is almost guaranteed I don't have the right demon. And in the end with 8+ demons I don't feel like doing 3 laps around the map kicking every wall with every demon. Plus, you can accidentally sell the treasure maps, but they are unique so you can't ever get them back even if you did want to use their terribly unhelpful hints. Like, what the hell does "requires demon power" mean? How was I supposed to know it meant
Pluto
? Aren't they all demons?

I kept all the maps I had in the vault. Never did try just writing down the coordinates from them. lol.

I think the devs went and used Demon Gaze as a testbed to experiment with some new features, some of which will be used in other games. Similar how they changed things up slightly from some features found in Students of the Round

Just bought the game yesterday, and man it looks fun. The dialogue so far is nice and having the japanese original voices is cool, because that english dub is cringe worthy sometimes. The drawings are beautiful even though some of then are moe-like.

I hope that the game is long,

Also, the eye thing instantly remembered me of her:

Loved this anime, btw.

Rolf NB

I got wiped by Mars :\
Is this a good time to expand my party to three? Thinking about a ranger. Already got a paladin.

e: If you wanted to talk me out of adding a ranger, you've failed.

I got wiped by Mars :\
Is this a good time to expand my party to three? Thinking about a ranger. Already got a paladin.

e: If you wanted to talk me out of adding a ranger, you've failed.

My first time meeting her I thought it would be easy, then she 2-shot me and I was like, wtf? Now I am grinding to get better gear.

Edit: I'm never reading those memo things again, I think I've been spoiled. Damn you trolls.

v1perz53

Quick tip, any of the "surprise" boss fights that come from a normal demon circle (like the first time Mars shows up) you can actually run from or use Comet's flash to escape. You can't run from the boss fights that you knowingly trigger with a special boss tile marker. Also, early on it helps to have your paladin in the front row and the rest in the back, even your gazer, for boss fights. Paladin has an ability to protect those in the back row, really helpful for letting it tank early on. Some of the bosses especially early on hit like mach trucks. Also, 1-2 more levels makes a huge difference in this game, really satisfying to come back 2 levels later and smash Mars.

And yea, don't read the memos. They either spoil plot, say things like "Hot Load in Fran" or just tell you where a secret is. You are better off in every way using an online map to find secrets if you're stuck, you avoid spoilers and 12 year old shenanigans that way.

Rolf NB

My first time meeting her I thought it would be easy, then she 2-shot me and I was like, wtf? Now I am grinding to get better gear.

Edit: I'm never reading those memo things again, I think I've been spoiled. Damn you trolls.
The first time it prompted me if I wanted to activate networking features, the connection failed. No I always say "nope".
Also, after hearing the first couple of lines in the English VA, I exited the game and restarted with Japanese voices.

What I'm saying is, I'm playing the best possible version of the game. And noone can talk me out of it -_-

Quick tip, any of the "surprise" boss fights that come from a normal demon circle (like the first time Mars shows up) you can actually run from or use Comet's flash to escape. You can't run from the boss fights that you knowingly trigger with a special boss tile marker. Also, early on it helps to have your paladin in the front row and the rest in the back, even your gazer, for boss fights. Paladin has an ability to protect those in the back row, really helpful for letting it tank early on. Some of the bosses especially early on hit like mach trucks. Also, 1-2 more levels makes a huge difference in this game, really satisfying to come back 2 levels later and smash Mars.
We'll see. Mars still lives, but I just got wiped by Neptune for the first time. I think I have enough cash to go four, after selling some loot maybe even five members now. That'll learn 'em.

I think I'm just underleveled. Lvl 7 seems too low for the more interesting class skills. What's a tank if you can't even provoke+counter yet?

v1perz53

We'll see. Mars still lives, but I just got wiped by Neptune for the first time. I think I have enough cash to go four, after selling some loot maybe even five members now. That'll learn 'em.

I think I'm just underleveled. Lvl 7 seems too low for the more interesting class skills. What's a tank if you can't even provoke+counter yet?

Do you mean Chronos? I would definitely do all of Mars before Chronos, even though you can do either Mars is definitely a bit easier. And yea, things get a LOT better with more skills/levels. But as I said, Paladin in the front row everyone else in the back with bows/thrown weapons is a ghetto tank until you get provoke. Most bosses now can't reliably hit the back row, and your Paladin can soak some decent damage.

Rolf NB

Do you mean Chronos? I would definitely do all of Mars before Chronos, even though you can do either Mars is definitely a bit easier. And yea, things get a LOT better with more skills/levels. But as I said, Paladin in the front row everyone else in the back with bows/thrown weapons is a ghetto tank until you get provoke. Most bosses now can't reliably hit the back row, and your Paladin can soak some decent damage.
Eh ... yeah, Chronos. I just tried again at lvl 9. There is no way to survive this yet I think. My healer can't keep up with the damage output and Comet is too random to rely on her filling the gaps in healing.

Mars is history.

I'll probably have enough cash for a fifth member soon enough though (didn't realize earlier that the price is going up after each room...). And if my Gazer hits lvl10, if I'm reading things right, I'll be able to "equip" two demons and at least get the passive skill bonuses from both?

ZeroAKA

I decided to take a break from Soul Sacrifice Delta to get back into this game. Finally got those two annoying Muramasa trophies after about 20 resets. The rest should be easy.

Rolf NB

Ganked Chronos. Returned to the inn. Made it back out alive without reloading my game, but it was a close call. Explored all damage tiles and completed my maps for the first couple areas and
that other thing down as far as I could go (Chronos's Cell)
. Feels good.

Found a forest. Judging by the color of my danger indicator, I suppose I should do this before going farther east from the Unmarked Grave area.

ZeroAKA

Finally got the platinum!
Quasar
was a huge pain. Every other boss took at most 2 tries for me to take down, but that one took probably 10 tries. I just couldn't damage him enough before he healed and continued to sweep my party. I was starting to think about lowering the difficulty. >.<

Kerrinck

About artifact gems, do I use them straight away or hold them to use with those add +1/2 gems? Seems like they are rather scarce.

Top Bottom