• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Do you have the Clever Rat's Ring? It can make killing the blue dragon go a lot more smoothly.

I have the Clever Rat, but the problem is I'm in soul form and using ring of herculean strength to carry around a whole bunch of shit.

I'm just gonna try the arrow to the face method tonight. I'll listen to a podcast or something while I do it so I don't get bored. hehe.

I put this disc in yesterday just on a whim and got sucked in for over an hour - coming back to Demon's after playing Dark Souls, the differences are quite apparent, I think the combat and movement was refined for the better, but the level design in Demon's is still amazing as ever - Boletaria Palace still gives me goosebumps, I love the design and layout of that whole area, especially the later parts.

Will probably have to play through, I can feel it sucking me in all over again!

neoemonk

Only 1-4 boss remains.

Well that, and the hardest demon of them all...

the work day.

Thinking about going for the platinum, but all of those runs for the gold trophies seem really time consuming.

zkylon

zkylewd
Only 1-4 boss remains.

Well that, and the hardest demon of them all...

the work day.

Thinking about going for the platinum, but all of those runs for the gold trophies seem really time consuming.
Use any of the exploits to dupe the souls. It's pretty easy (unless they patched it, I haven't played DS in a long time) and it saves you like 5 playthroughs...

neoemonk

Use any of the exploits to dupe the souls. It's pretty easy (unless they patched it, I haven't played DS in a long time) and it saves you like 5 playthroughs...

I thought about doing it on my first run but I want to see how bad NG+ is. I might do it on my second run though. The dupe trick still works and it can save a lot of time on farming stones for the upgrade trophies as well, but I don't know. It feels kind of cheap.

I also lost Ostrava somehow. He disappeared from the Nexus before I ever went into 1-3. All that means is that I have to kill him right away when I start my NG+ because I never got the Mausoleum Key.

zkylon

zkylewd
I thought about doing it on my first run but I want to see how bad NG+ is. I might do it on my second run though. The dupe trick still works and it can save a lot of time on farming stones for the upgrade trophies as well, but I don't know. It feels kind of cheap.

I also lost Ostrava somehow. He disappeared from the Nexus before I ever went into 1-3. All that means is that I have to kill him right away when I start my NG+ because I never got the Mausoleum Key.
I duped everything on NG+. I didn't abuse the souls, so it didn't cheapen my experience, but some people may have less willpower...

And yeah, Ostrava tends to disappear and die. Happened to me on NG, but managed to save him on NG+ :)

Apdiddy

I have a Trophy related question: I reset my PS3 (started to run out of space) but forgot to back up my saves (I know I'm going to get PS+ so I can backup my save data). I only have two trophies left (the miracles & spells trophies). Does the trophies reset as well or can I get the remaining spells/miracles with my new character?

neoemonk

Ran through 1-1 on NG+ and it was super tense because I was sitting on close to 180k souls and couldn't spend them. It ended up being really easy, especially Phalanx with Firestorm.

Killed Ostrava right away so I didn't have to miss out on the Mausoleum Key, and lost to the Old King a few times before I just backpedaled and used Homing Soul Arrow.

I want the platinum but don't really want to do another full run right now. I'll come back to this game soon.

I'm definitely going to get into Dark Souls, but I want to wait and see how the PC port turns out before I decide what version to buy.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ran through 1-1 on NG+ and it was super tense because I was sitting on close to 180k souls and couldn't spend them. It ended up being really easy, especially Phalanx with Firestorm.

Killed Ostrava right away so I didn't have to miss out on the Mausoleum Key, and lost to the Old King a few times before I just backpedaled and used Homing Soul Arrow.

I want the platinum but don't really want to do another full run right now. I'll come back to this game soon.

I'm definitely going to get into Dark Souls, but I want to wait and see how the PC port turns out before I decide what version to buy.
You bastard! Poor Ostrava :(

I love NG+. The fact that nothing really changes (except being noticeably hard/er) is amazing, because the game feels so different. You already know all the shortcuts and traps, so instead of being always the same (like in a roguelike), in which the experience is predictable, even if the "road" isn't, in DS the road is predictable, but the experience is very much different. It's sooo good.

Sullichin

Every boss is way too easy with firestorm. On NG+5, firestorm took off 90% of the first maneater's health in one cast. Crazy. Wound up just leaping off the ledge because it's more fun to fight them normally.

I'm just going back to this game after giving up on it a long time ago. Does the AI level up as you do? Or can I grind early on and become strong enough to where the rest of the game could be much easier? I'm very early on right now, I've only just finished boletarian palace and the Phalanx boss and I'm not quite sure what/where to go from here.

Any suggestions?

I'm just going back to this game after giving up on it a long time ago. Does the AI level up as you do? Or can I grind early on and become strong enough to where the rest of the game could be much easier? I'm very early on right now, I've only just finished boletarian palace and the Phalanx boss and I'm not quite sure what/where to go from here.

Any suggestions?

The AI never levels up, only heath/damage after NG (and types depending on tendency).

You could definitely grind/upgrade your way to victory if you want, just be aware after you reach level 30-40 or so it gets quite tedious to farm. My suggestion is grind a bit on 1-1, get up to level 20 or so in your desired path, upgrade a weapon or two, and stock up on turpentine for the
Tower Knight
, and do 1-2. That's probably when the game will click for you, or not. At that archstone after you defeat the boss gets you a decent way to farm out a chunk of souls, for repairs or a few hundred to complete a level up package.

By then you'll be very accustomed to the controls and mechanics, and be able to handle yourself well enough on later levels. You'll just have a much better grasp on everything by then and be able to strategize and be tactical where necessary. Unless you're looking to do a pure magic build, which I have no suggestions, I'm always mainly melee.

Thanks man, great advice there. I'm going to grind a bit and then move on. The game has deffinitely grown on me since the last time I played it. Got frustrated and didn't understand what I was supposed to be doing so it went on my backlog for a long time and I told everhone how much I despised the game and how overrated it was lol. Hopefully I can get through it because I am having a ton of fun at the moment. Don't know why it didn't click for me a year ago but does now. Oh well.

cj_iwakura

Level 1 run clear. Me and a companion teamed up against Allant like a BOSS. Stick and move, stick and move.

That was fun stuff, but never again.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks man, great advice there. I'm going to grind a bit and then move on. The game has deffinitely grown on me since the last time I played it. Got frustrated and didn't understand what I was supposed to be doing so it went on my backlog for a long time and I told everhone how much I despised the game and how overrated it was lol. Hopefully I can get through it because I am having a ton of fun at the moment. Don't know why it didn't click for me a year ago but does now. Oh well.
DS has a way of working like that. I thought everyone was overreacting too, the first time I played it, but then I gave it another chance 6 months later and it just clicked, and now it's my favorite game on the PS3, and one of my favorites of all times.

I wouldn't suggest you grind too much, since it's usually more of a matter of memorizing patterns and traps and such. Grinding will help you a bit, but only do it in world
. I'm putting it on spoiler tags in case you want to find out the best grinding and farming places by yourself, since it's kind of the point of the game for me, a mix of finding things on your own and collaborating with the community if you're stuck.

Have this at hand by the way: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/. There's no shame in reading it, but I would stay away from strategies and exploits unless you're really stuck.

Killed that bastard Blue Dragon in 1-4, then took out Old King Doran. I got a glitch where Sage Freke wasn't in his cell, so I had to kill Doran another way. I used a combination of baiting him with arrows and back stabbing him when he was walking away using Thief and Clever Rat rings. Feels good.

DS has a way of working like that. I thought everyone was overreacting too, the first time I played it, but then I gave it another chance 6 months later and it just clicked, and now it's my favorite game on the PS3, and one of my favorites of all times.

I wouldn't suggest you grind too much, since it's usually more of a matter of memorizing patterns and traps and such. Grinding will help you a bit, but only do it in world
. I'm putting it on spoiler tags in case you want to find out the best grinding and farming places by yourself, since it's kind of the point of the game for me, a mix of finding things on your own and collaborating with the community if you're stuck.

Have this at hand by the way: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/. There's no shame in reading it, but I would stay away from strategies and exploits unless you're really stuck.
Thanks man. I don't think I'll grind much from now until I get to world 4 or unless I can't get past a part because I'm too weak. I'm soul level 15 now and I think I'll move on past 1-1 finally.

Actually before I do move on I want to kill that damn red eyed knight in 1-1. I made the mistake of thinking he was just like any other blue night and he charged at me and I foolishly blocked thinking it would protect me and I got shish-kebab'd lol. So I will not rest until I figure out a way to kill him. It's probably too early for me to go one on one with him so I've read a few strategies in the wiki and elsewhere to try and kill him. I'm going to try and make that dick fall off a high ledge and kill himself!

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks man. I don't think I'll grind much from now until I get to world 4 or unless I can't get past a part because I'm too weak. I'm soul level 15 now and I think I'll move on past 1-1 finally.

Actually before I do move on I want to kill that damn red eyed knight in 1-1. I made the mistake of thinking he was just like any other blue night and he charged at me and I foolishly blocked thinking it would protect me and I got shish-kebab'd lol. So I will not rest until I figure out a way to kill him. It's probably too early for me to go one on one with him so I've read a few strategies in the wiki and elsewhere to try and kill him. I'm going to try and make that dick fall off a high ledge and kill himself!
By the way, don't feel compelled to do the worlds and levels in order. You don't have to do 1-1-1, 1-2, 1-3, ... You don't even have to do 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, ... (though this order isn't so bad). My suggestion is play every level availeable to you, until you like one and do that one.

neoemonk

Magic makes Demon's Souls a lot more easier. I got skewered by the Red Eye Knight at first, but I eventually restarted the game as a Royal and was able to beat him quite handily.

I pretty much roll through the game with Firestorm and Homing Soul Arrow now, although occasionally I'll swap in Soul Ray or one of the cloud spells. At some point I might try a melee only run, but I'll be honest. It takes a hell of a lot more skill in my opinion.

cj_iwakura

Magic makes Demon's Souls a lot more easier. I got skewered by the Red Eye Knight at first, but I eventually restarted the game as a Royal and was able to beat him quite handily.

I pretty much roll through the game with Firestorm and Homing Soul Arrow now, although occasionally I'll swap in Soul Ray or one of the cloud spells. At some point I might try a melee only run, but I'll be honest. It takes a hell of a lot more skill in my opinion.

That's where the true Demon's Souls begins.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal with the arch demons from worlds 2 through 5? It's like From Software felt bad for all the punishment this game delivers and decided to make them super easy. Is it just me?

neoemonk

What's the deal with the arch demons from worlds 2 through 5? It's like From Software felt bad for all the punishment this game delivers and decided to make them super easy. Is it just me?

I think they were trying unique mechanics, and some of them worked better than others.

Dragon God smashed me quite a few times before I was able to finish him, and until I found the safe spot behind the broken house I died to Storm King a lot. That being said I might be the crappiest player to ever finish Demon's Souls.

Old Monk was pretty much a cake walk, but I was playing offline to manipulate world tendency, and Maiden Astrea is easy because Garl Vinland just kinds of stands there. Even his black phantom form isn't difficult. I could still appreciate them as I saw them as set pieces for the game.

That's where the true Demon's Souls begins.

Haha, very nice.

Yeah, some of the archdemons are more "set pieces" or gimmicks than actual tests of skill. Both Souls games tend to sometimes have fairly easy bosses after overly difficult dungeons. I probably found the
Storm King
to be the most fun and satisfying to figure out and play, aside from PvP 3-3.

I think they were trying unique mechanics, and some of them worked better than others.

Dragon God smashed me quite a few times before I was able to finish him, and until I found the safe spot behind the broken house I died to Storm King a lot. That being said I might be the crappiest player to ever finish Demon's Souls.

Old Monk was pretty much a cake walk, but I was playing offline to manipulate world tendency, and Maiden Astrea is easy because Garl Vinland just kinds of stands there. Even his black phantom form isn't difficult. I could still appreciate them as I saw them as set pieces for the game.

For me he was one of the easiest NPC BP's in the game, hardest (especially past NG+) was easily Satsuki and Scirvir.

zkylon

zkylewd
The toughest BP NPC after Satsuki is Selen IMO.

She runs away to heal, you fight her in a SWAMP, and she casts magic null!
Meat Cleaver BP was the hardest for me, and Selen's a close second (I also had trouble with the guy in 2-2 for some reason). Satsuki wasn't so bad for me, since he's right next to the archstone, so you can try again in no time. The fear of dying I got from the prospect of having to look around in the swamps again for the Meat Cleaver BP was unmatched...

neoemonk

Selen BP gets my vote, mostly because of that swamp. It's such a pain if she beats you to get back to her. My experience with her was a lot like Maneater. I died a whole bunch of times, but when I finally won it was a flawless performance, and it was over very fast.

In fact I think that's what makes the game so great. There were so many times I'd be in a hurry for some reason, and the game would just punish me over and over until I did thngs right, but when it all came together it felt awesome.

Boss Man

So I bought/played/beat/adored/beat again/beat again the Asian version of this game years ago, and have since sold and repurchased a PS3. I'm probably about to get the NA version of this and replay it- do we know anything about the servers beyond "we wanna keep them up"? If I go for a platinum trophy will I need the servers?

neoemonk

You don't need the servers up to get the platinum. In fact it's probably easier to get offline because of the world tendency stuff.

Croc

Banned
Finally got around to getting this today, along with Nier. Found a $25 gift card I didn't know I had and ended up paying $5 for both of them.

Anyways, I really hate having to choose a class before even starting a game. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to choose? I do usually like magic classes (or thieves) but I know next to nothing about this game so I have no idea if magic classes are weaker/stronger or whatnot, or if all of the classes are pretty balanced. I also have no idea what the differences are between classes except the starting stats.

Any tips would be appreciated!

zkylon

zkylewd
Finally got around to getting this today, along with Nier. Found a $25 gift card I didn't know I had and ended up paying $5 for both of them.

Anyways, I really hate having to choose a class before even starting a game. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to choose? I do usually like magic classes (or thieves) but I know next to nothing about this game so I have no idea if magic classes are weaker/stronger or whatnot, or if all of the classes are pretty balanced. I also have no idea what the differences are between classes except the starting stats.

Any tips would be appreciated!
Nice, you bought my two favorite PS3 games in one sweep.

You should have an easier time starting out as a Royal. He's got magic (Soul Arrow is amazing and you'll probably use it for all the game) from the get go, and comes with a great ring and headgear for that purpose.

Croc

Banned
Nice, you bought my two favorite PS3 games in one sweep.

You should have an easier time starting out as a Royal. He's got magic (Soul Arrow is amazing and you'll probably use it for all the game) from the get go, and comes with a great ring and headgear for that purpose.

Yeah I've heard amazing things about both (though I've heard Nier is pretty hit or miss). But Nier was only $12 so I just figured why not.

And thanks for the answer! Went with Royal, we'll see how things go...

Really wish I was more prepared going into that 2-1 spider dick face boss battle. Had no idea what I was doing. ~_~

Lost 900 souls. Going to cheapo bow kill him from a far. Don't judge me, GAF.

I'm playing as a knight btw. First time through.

Soulhouf

Really wish I was more prepared going into that 2-1 spider dick face boss battle. Had no idea what I was doing. ~_~

Lost 900 souls. Going to cheapo bow kill him from a far. Don't judge me, GAF.

I'm playing as a knight btw. First time through.

Use the purple flame shield. It's very helpful against that boss and the next one.

Sullichin

Use the purple flame shield. It's very helpful against that boss and the next one.

Am I the only one who finds armor spider to be way more frustrating than flamelurker? I almost never die to flamelurker, but I always hear about people having trouble with him. I don't enjoy the armor spider fight. I usually die a couple of times and it's kind of gimmicky. Dark Souls definitely has more 'real' bosses.

zkylon

zkylewd
Am I the only one who finds armor spider to be way more frustrating than flamelurker? I almost never die to flamelurker, but I always hear about people having trouble with him. I don't enjoy the armor spider fight. I usually die a couple of times and it's kind of gimmicky. Dark Souls definitely has more 'real' bosses.
Yeah, totally. Flamelurker is at least twice as hard. You can beat the spider with your bow and easily not get hit once.

Well I beat the spider pretty easily with about 40 arrows or so. I'll probably be cheap killing a lot of these bosses because I absolutely hate going trough a level again just to re-do a boss fight after I get slaughtered.

I wish all levels were like 1-1 in that once you reach the boss, there is a way to get back to him right away after dying and starting at the beginning of the level again. 2-1 spider boss I had to go a bit of distance to get back to him, not too bad. But I'm afraid there will be worlds coming up that I'll have to do an entire level again to get back to the boss.

Guess that's why this game is considered so hardcore.

I killed that red-eyed knight in 1-1 too. Was fun. :D

Oh, any suggestions on what I should be spending my souls on in regards to my soul level? Vitality, strength etc. I'm a knight and focus on Melee mostly and just now added a bit of the bow to the mix.

Sullichin

Yeah, totally. Flamelurker is at least twice as hard. You can beat the spider with your bow and easily not get hit once.
I never have a bow so maybe that's why. He's just annoying to get to melee.

Well I beat the spider pretty easily with about 40 arrows or so. I'll probably be cheap killing a lot of these bosses because I absolutely hate going trough a level again just to re-do a boss fight after I get slaughtered.

I wish all levels were like 1-1 in that once you reach the boss, there is a way to get back to him right away after dying and starting at the beginning of the level again. 2-1 spider boss I had to go a bit of distance to get back to him, not too bad. But I'm afraid there will be worlds coming up that I'll have to do an entire level again to get back to the boss.

Nice. Most of the bosses have shortcuts to get to them, but they are not always obvious. Even a two minute or so trek to the boss can seem arduous though if you keep dying. But it will be really satisfying when you beat a boss you're having trouble with. Also, the later levels in the archstones are almost all pretty much just bosses.

zkylon

zkylewd

Yeah, that's actually why I think the game is pretty hardcore. Dealing with losing the last half an hour of gameplay is a pretty emotional thing (not burst into tears emotional, but most games don't punish you that way for a reason), and learning to say to yourself "next time I'll do better" is pretty awesome.

You'll hate some of the trekking back to the boss part, but that's part of the game, and it's crucial for the tension and satisfaction you feel in DS.

Oh, any suggestions on what I should be spending my souls on in regards to my soul level? Vitality, strength etc. I'm a knight and focus on Melee mostly and just now added a bit of the bow to the mix.
Haven't played in a long time so can't really remember but endurance is always important for every type of character. You can also check which stats your weapons build off and raise them. Like the Crescent Falchion gets most of its damage off your Intelligence, so you should build that. Usually daggers and rapiers get boosted by Dexterity and axes and big swords use Strength.

I never have a bow so maybe that's why. He's just annoying to get to melee.
I use pretty much everything, bow, magic, melee :D

Sullichin

Look up the different icons in the weapon stat bonus screen to see what they represent (strength, dexterity, faith, magic). Like Zyklon said, some weapons scale their damage with these stats. It depends on the type of character you want to be. Even if you're mostly melee you have a ton of options. You can make a dex based character (katanas and such), strength (greatswords), or make a dragon weapon (which does fire damage and does not scale with stats). Dragon weapons are great because they will do a lot of damage, and you only need to meet the minimum stat requirements for a weapon, allowing you to spend your level upgrades on VIT and END instead. There's nothing stopping you from changing your mind down the line and addjing points elsewhere, except it becomes tedious to farm for souls after you level up at lot.

Soul level: 90

Endurance: 11

Hahaha. What can I say?

Lol. If you're mostly magic, this barely matters, you can still kill everything in the game in 1-2 hits with firestorm. If you use a lot of melee.. wat lol

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh wow, 11 lol. Endurance is really good for every kind of character. Who doesn't want to roll and block more? If you got that far without it, though, good job :)

Thanks all. Very good info. I'm starting up 3-1 next. I'm going in the order of 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 etc because it seems to be working for me right now. I ventured into 4-1 just to see if I could find the bow there (read a wiki that one was there and I needed one for 2-1 spider boss) but that big giant dude right after the first fog wall in the beginning scared the shit out of me so I retreated and instead got the bow from 1-2 on top of the second tower. lol

NOT looking forward to 4-1 after that. I do see now how that is the grinding spot of choice due to those skeletons giving a lot of souls and usually fairly easy to kill if approached properly.

This game is addicting!!

Croc

Banned
I've beaten I think 4 demons now and the game is really starting to grow on me. At first the difficulty was a little much for me. It wasn't anything I couldn't handle, but it just seemed more hassle than what it was worth.

But now after a bit of leveling up and getting to know the game better, it's definitely eased up a bit (while still being very difficult).

I'm still playing as a mage and I'm really liking it. Especially my first time through, being able to kill stuff from far away is very nice and relaxes me a bit. I walked into the boss of 1-2 on accident (didn't know it was the boss gate) and freaked out and luckily found there were places I could hide. Ended up just picking him off 20 hp at a time from up top :lol

3-1 was crazy complex though, too much for me. I ended up using a guide to get through that level because it was just too much for me to handle, especially being so dark and in the earlier parts all of it looking the same. Glad out of all the areas I've played I used a guide on that one cause of the trick with the boss. I would have been pissed off had I now known that.

neoemonk

Thanks all. Very good info. I'm starting up 3-1 next. I'm going in the order of 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 etc because it seems to be working for me right now. I ventured into 4-1 just to see if I could find the bow there (read a wiki that one was there and I needed one for 2-1 spider boss) but that big giant dude right after the first fog wall in the beginning scared the shit out of me so I retreated and instead got the bow from 1-2 on top of the second tower. lol

NOT looking forward to 4-1 after that. I do see now how that is the grinding spot of choice due to those skeletons giving a lot of souls and usually fairly easy to kill if approached properly.

This game is addicting!!

That's the intro boss from the very beginning and he's incredibly easy in 4-1.

Soulhouf

I feel the same way but I never died against Armor Spider or Flamelurker despite I always fight them pure melee.
The reason? Purple Flame shield. This thing make you feel awesome fighting these bosses surrounded by fire and shit and standing there without flinching regardless of all that.

Top Bottom