• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denuvo reportedly costs 25k a month

Barakov

Crazy that devs are actually wasting money when a game with denuvo whether or not it is cracked. Especially when you factor in that there's a fair amount of people who wait for denuvo to be removed and then get the game on sale.

winjer

Gold Member
Good point lol. You have to wonder if a lot of these games that use this junk would lose less than 25k a month from piracy.

Considering there are studies, even from official governments, that claim that Piracy does not reduce sales, it's a guarantee that devs are losing a lot more money from Denuvo, than from Pirates.
Devs are getting robbed blind by Denuvo. And then they have the nerve to whine that games are too expensive to make, when they are wasting so much money.
Worse yet, Denuvo by causing performance issues, is reducing sales.

To me Denuvo seems like one of those unnecessary things that the company just shops around to various corporations until they find some executive who falls for their sales pitch. Some executive who has the power to spend money that isn't his fell for the pitch and then the games get stuck with this shit.

I don't know if there is still an active player-base who avoids all things Denuvo, but I am one of them. I am actually considering buying Civilization 7 on console at launch almost solely due to this.

Senua

Gold Member
Good guy dev turned into, sales are lighter than the $25k a month.
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

SNG32

No wonder Nintendo avoided putting that shit on there games.

Square complaining that they ain’t making money yet they paying 25,000 a month for ff16.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I remember when this was supposed to be the end of piracy. Didn't pan out so well, most releases are cracked pretty fast now.

That's also part of why devs remove it after a while - what they're protecting is the vital first few weeks and months of sales, after that it's going to be cracked anyways

Bojji

I remember when this was supposed to be the end of piracy. Didn't pan out so well, most releases are cracked pretty fast now.

That's also part of why devs remove it after a while - what they're protecting is the vital first few weeks and months of sales, after that it's going to be cracked anyways

Denuvo actually works. Most denuvo games aren't cracked until it is removed bu publisher.

I think 25k is not actual number, it's too low?

IFireflyl

Gold Member

I mean, Empress was the only one actively cracking Denuvo titles last I heard, and she (or he) is no longer doing that. As far as I know, Denuvo titles haven't been cracked in the last year-ish. Unless I am behind the times (which is very possible), that would indicate that Denuvo is effective. Now whether it is worth it is another question entirely.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I mean, Empress was the only one actively cracking Denuvo titles last I heard, and she (or he) is no longer doing that. As far as I know, Denuvo titles haven't been cracked in the last year-ish. Unless I am behind the times (which is very possible), that would indicate that Denuvo is effective. Now whether or not it is worth it is another question entirely.

Oh, it's probably me that's behind the times then. But then I guess it's more about this person retiring or wherever they went, Denuvo was at first hyped to be the end of piracy which it clearly wasn't.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
That is a lot of money wasted, just to make games run worse.
So the people that are actually stealing the devs is Denuvo. Not the Pirates.
They are so far up their own asses. Most people that pirate can't afford the shit anyway. They're screwing themselves.
Edit: And legit customers.

Last edited:

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm happy with the pricing model. At least it incentivizes publishers to remove the protection after a while, so fewer game preservation issues.

I haven't gamed on PC in like 2-3 years now but last I checked Denuvo games were not cracked "fast". I like to pirate games so I can get my free trial for as long as I want but the games with Denuvo didn't have that option. So I was forced to use Steams free 2 hours. That's when I realized people online like to make shit up about how Denuvo doesn't work because I even saw people on Steam forums making that claim and when I actually tried to pirate the games that's when I realized oh it does work.

Cheap cost for games that sell millions like COD, TLOU, etc.
Expensive cost for games that sell less especially for indie games. This also applies to AAA games that will at some point face decreased sales as time goes by.

Some companies removed Denuvo from their games after a year or so. I believe it was because of declining sales over Denuvo's cost.

MMaRsu

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Denuvo releases aren't being cracked by any sort of scène group.

So basically that means no one is cracking them at all.

Not to say I'm very much against Denuvo DRM. Its trash and great games sell well without intrusive drm.

Top Bottom