• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deputies shoot unarmed black Florida man in his front yard, 17 shell casings found

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasimirobot

When I lived in Florida as a teenager, my sister called the police after the saw the front door was open to our house. I drive home and was in a hurry to grab something or another and ran outside to the car. I saw a blur of people rush behind the car and next thing I knew a gun was pointed at my face and a bunch of yelling. It was the cops, I seriously started to hallucinate or some kinda of panic attack because if how traumatic it was while it was happening.

Lucky I wasn't hurt, but pulling out guns first is an all around bad move.

Brofist

What I want to know is who are these fucking neighbors in all these similar stories who call the police at the drop of a hat. I mean is using common sense that far gone these days? Nah the guy rummaging through the car couldn't be the guy who lives there, that would be too damn simple of a conclusion to make.

Aaron

What I want to know is who are these fucking neighbors in all these similar stories who call the police at the drop of a hat. I mean is using common sense that far gone these days? Nah the guy rummaging through the car couldn't be the guy who lives there, that would be too damn simple of a conclusion to make.
Old people with too much time on their hands mostly. Had a neighbor like that, but he decided to devote himself to gardening instead.

Joni

What I want to know is who are these fucking neighbors in all these similar stories who call the police at the drop of a hat. I mean is using common sense that far gone these days?

It is the middle of the night (2:42 AM is night, right?) and someone is rummaging through a car. Calling the police is the right choice.

Joni

Do you live in Beirut or something?
No. But if I see something suspicious, I'm going to call the police. I'm sure my neighbour would just laugh at it when it is mistake. Police officers over here don't tend to shoot people for following orders though.

Is a window smashed? Is an alarm going off? If neither is true, go back to bed.
It is the middle of the night, you see someone in a car. You won't be able to see any dropped glass, and car alarms are only relevant in cars that have alarms.

Derwind

It is the middle of the night (2:42 AM is night, right?) and someone is rummaging through a car. Calling the police is the right choice.

Some people get ready for work pretty early, rummaging through a car at 3am isn't exactly odd. Now watching people at 3am is a little odd.

Cops should have a zero tolerance policy for fucking up like this.

Once, and you're done working as an officer of the law. This shit happens too often and they don't seem to fucking learn.

akira28

No. But if I see something suspicious, I'm going to call the police. I'm sure my neighbour would just laugh at it when it is mistake. Police officers over here don't tend to shoot people for following orders though.

It is the middle of the night, you see someone in a car. You won't be able to see any dropped glass, and car alarms are only relevant in cars that have alarms.

In America you could be signing someone's death warrant. So are you still so sure you want to send the law dogs to investigate your 'sumpin spicious'?

Petty property crimes are a horrible thing to lose one's life over. Especially when there's no crime and it's your own property.

"hmm..black man in a car. At 3am!? That never happens!" "hello 911?"

Around here, you aren't going to catch a car thief or a burglar breaking into a vehicle, because they will be gone in 60 seconds. You might catch the guy using his cell phone or sneaking a cigarette from the wife though.

Dead Man

I don't want to live anywhere near you. Sorry. I am a shift worker and often up and getting into or out of my car at those sorts of times.

Joni

Some people get ready for work pretty early, rummaging through a car at 3am isn't exactly odd.
Considering he was just there for a loose cigarette, I'd suppose this isn't exactly typical working hours.

I don't want to live anywhere near you. Sorry. I am a shift worker and often up and getting into or out of my car at those sorts of times.
But if I was your neighbour, I'd know that. But you wouldn't want a neighbour to call the police when he sees someone hanging out your car at a time you wouldn't typically be? 'Yeah, I saw someone around your car, but yeah, it might have been you so I didn't call the police. Funny that your car got stolen.'

In America you could be signing someone's death warrant.
So people should stop reporting crimes? Blaming the neighbour in this case is quite sad. The neighbour thought he saw a crime, he alerted the police. That is exactly what people should do. The worst thing that should have happened here is that the guy got out of his car, the police looked at his drivers license, they laughed and they left.

Rocwell

sp_0103_12_v6.jpg

Dead Man

Considering he was just there for a loose cigarette, I'd suppose this isn't exactly typical working hours.

But if I was your neighbour, I'd know that. But you wouldn't want a neighbour to call the police when he sees someone hanging out your car at a time you wouldn't typically be?

So people should stop reporting crimes? Blaming the neighbour in this case is quite sad. The neighbour thought he saw a crime, he alerted the police. That is exactly what people should do.

If you were my neighbour you wouldn't know that because I don't interact much with my neighbours because... I'm a shift worker. So unless you wait to see a pattern of behaviour, after I move in you will call the cops within the first week. I will get shot (well maybe not, I'm not black), and you will have a warm fuzzy feeling.

And no, you should report crimes. Definitely. Someone breaks a window, actually steals a car etc, report that. Otherwise, make a note of the time and the person, and wait and see if police ask for witnesses, then provide that description.

akira28

So people should stop reporting crimes? Blaming the neighbour in this case is quite sad. The neighbour thought he saw a crime, he alerted the police. That is exactly what people should do. The worst thing that should have happened here is that the guy got out of his car, the police looked at his drivers license, they laughed and they left.

But you live in the real world and you know what the real worst thing that happens is.

So are you at all willing to reexamine your original first impulse?

Joni

If you were my neighbour you wouldn't know that because I don't interact much with my neighbours because... I'm a shift worker. So unless you wait to see a pattern of behaviour, after I move in you will call the cops within the first week. I will get shot (well maybe not, I'm not black), and you will have a warm fuzzy feeling.
Or the police does their job and you don't get shot.

And no, you should report crimes. Definitely. Someone breaks a window, actually steals a car etc, report that. Otherwise, make a note of the time and the person, and wait and see if police ask for witnesses, then provide that description.
So just let the crime happen if it is a crime. That is strange to me. The damage could have already been done at that point. The neighbour only saw someone through hanging through a window of a car.

But you live in the real world and you know what the real worst thing that happens is.
So you're saying the police is incompetent so the police should never be called because the guy could be innocent and get shot despite being innocent. If that is the impulse, then something is wrong with the US. I don't live in a country where the police shoots and ask questions later. So no, I won't go blaming the neighbour who didn't do anything wrong.

commedieu

Banned

So just let the crime happen if it is a crime. That is strange to me. The damage could have already been done at that point. The neighbour only saw someone through hanging through a window of a car.

So you're saying the police is incompetent so the police should never be called because the guy could be innocent and get shot despite being innocent. If that is the impulse, then something is wrong with the US. I don't live in a country where the police shoots and ask questions later. So no, I won't go blaming the neighbour who didn't do anything wrong.

something is wrong in the US when black people look suspicious doing things that if they were white, wouldn't arise any suspicion.

I see someone looking in a car, I'd wait it out, to get the full story. But that seems to only resonate with me.

Joni

something is wrong in the US when black people look suspicious doing things that if they were white, wouldn't arise any suspicion.
Lounging through the window in the middle of the night underneath the driving wheel?

This is the call by the way. The neighbour didn't recognize the owner, and he/she (whose race is not mentionned, might be black too) thought the neighbours were asleep so this isn't some shift worker who gets up at this time.
http://www.pnj.com/article/20130729...script-burglary-call-before-man-shot-his-yard

I see someone looking in a car, I'd wait it out, to get the full story. But that seems to only resonate with me.
How do you get the full story?

I highly doubt the cops aren't lying or, at best, confused. A witness contradicts their statement, and there's no reason for a man to lunge out of his car and attack police officers on his own property.

akira28

the neighbor did something wrong. definitely did something wrong. Did the neighbor even try to identify if it was their neighbor? Or did they just see a dark sillhouette and didn't even possibly consider that it might have been his neighbor, and not a criminal.

The police acted as if the guy should have known that he was robbing his own car. Seems they came to the same conclusions as the neighbor. There is a level that they seem to be skipping here, unfortunately. And it ended up with someone almost being killed.

He was looking for a loose cigarette according to the article.

Also, even if they had cause to shoot, why on earth would they shoot 17 rounds?

They were trying to avoid his eyes. They can dehumanize you with a glance, like a basilisk. Plus he wasn't going down, so he must have been one of the bulletproof ones.

Bundy

Banned
Man, I want to move to the USA sometimes in the near future (I hope) ..... but wtf about the wild west shootings lately? :-/

Derwind

The reasons for why he'd need to reach into his family car was not nor could not be taken into consideration by this nosy ass neighbour.

And its actually very common hours to get ready or prepare to head to work, unless you live in a bubble, not every work schedule is your ideal 9-5.

Edit; Also the idea that person is under some strict ass curfew over when they could go and rummage through thier own car for something they could have easily forgetton and wanted to retrieve, is morbidly stupid.

Again, not everyone is asleep or awake at a uniform time, assuming the worst almost always is a stupid thing to do.

Joni

the neighbor did something wrong. definitely did something wrong. Did the neighbor even try to identify if it was their neighbor? Or did they just see a dark sillhouette and didn't even possibly consider that it might have been his neighbor, and not a criminal.
In the 911 call he/she said the neighbours are asleep and he didn't recognize the guy in the car. Which isn't that strange when he is hanging head first into his car. At this point he can consider it is his neighbour and
- call the police who can help,
- approach the guy which is an awful idea if it isn't the neighbour
- do nothing which is an awful idea if if isn't the neighbour

The police acted as if the guy should have known that he was robbing his own car. Seems they came to the same conclusions as the neighbor. There is a level that they seem to be skipping here, unfortunately. And it ended up with someone almost being killed.
Indeed, the police made a mistake. When the guy left the car, they shouldn't have shot him. If they don't shoot him, everything gets resolved in a matter of the minutes.

The reasons for why he'd need to reach into his family car was not nor could not be taken into consideration by this nosy ass neighbour.

And its actually very common hours to get ready or prepare to head to work, unless you live in a bubble, not every work schedule is your ideal 9-5.

The reason means it isn't very common to him be there. And as the call shows, he was hanging in the car quite some time looking under the dash, again untypical behaviour in the middle of the night.

East Lake

This is pretty serious paranoia Joni. Anytime I send a friend to retrieve something from my car at night would be a potential suspect.

akira28

the 'to protect and serve' pact was broken long ago. if it ever truly existed. you don't just call the police for any old reason. It pays to think.

Joni keeps blaming the victim. :(

Dali

17 shots? I don't know if I'd feel more or less safe with cops that are such terrible shots. Actually I take that back I'd definitely feel more safe. I know that guy that only got one bullet in his ass agrees.

commedieu

Banned
Lounging through the window in the middle of the night underneath the driving wheel?

This is the call by the way. The neighbour didn't recognize the owner
http://www.pnj.com/article/20130729...script-burglary-call-before-man-shot-his-yard

Lounging through a window, yes. Again, its because the man is black that he is associated with crime. And people are too intimidated to get to know the owner of a house next to them, for whatever reasons. If I were to look out of the window, I would see if someone is looking as if they are trying to be sneaky, moving with haste, and looking around for police or anyone watching them. A 60 year old man, moves like a 60 year old man, generally. I wouldn't second guess betting against the fact that hes an ace criminal, busting an ignition of a car from the outside, instead of hiding from sight, like criminals do. These things wouldn't cross my mind, because he is in fact, a person not looking suspicious, looking through their car in the middle of the night. I've been there, many times, and many anecdotes are out there for people that do both. Sure, you consider it suspicious. But wait out the situation to make sure you're not going to ruin someones life. Yes, it is a statistic that the black community has to worry about, being shot while doing nothing in this country. So yes, your role in our society is to be aware of this fact.

I can't assume it will be common sense at this point. This is something to be aware of, for hell, any citizen.

In the 911 call he/she said the neighbours are asleep and he didn't recognize the guy in the car. Which isn't that strange when he is hanging head first into his car. At this point he can consider it is his neighbour and
- call the police who can help,
- approach the guy which is an awful idea if it isn't the neighbour
- do nothing which is an awful idea if if isn't the neighbour

Indeed, the police made a mistake. When the guy left the car, they shouldn't have shot him. If they don't shoot him, everything gets resolved in a matter of the minutes.

Look, rummaging around in a car is not an indication of a crime. People keep different schedules than you and will go into their cars any hour of the day. If reporting it makes you feel good about yourself for "preventing a crime" go right ahead, but nine times out of ten you will just be causing a hassle for your neighbors if not actually endangering them.

Joni

the 'to protect and serve' pact was broken long ago. if it ever truly existed. you don't just call the police for any old reason. It pays to think.
Potential burglary is not some old reason.

This is pretty serious paranoia Joni. Anytime I send a friend to retrieve something from my car at night would be a potential suspect.
I'd hope your friend just uses the door and probably your lights would be on in your home. The neighbour saw something strange, he called the police to explain it. If it was overreacting, the officer on the line would have also said so. They are there to see if you're overreacting or not, that is why they ask so many questions. That is why they asked if the neighbours were at home for instance.

If reporting it makes you feel good about yourself for "preventing a crime" go right ahead, but nine times out of ten you will just be causing a hassle for your neighbors if not actually endangering them.
Are their real statistics on how many calls are actual crimes and how many aren't? And honestly, if the police force does good work, one call too many is better than one call too little.

But wait out the situation to make sure you're not going to ruin someones life. Yes, it is a statistic that the black community has to worry about, being shot while doing nothing in this country. So yes, your role in our society is to be aware of this fact.
I'm quite glad I don't live in your society because a society where I need to worry about how the police will react to someone's race is quite sad.

watershed

Banned
Thank god my neighbors aren't paranoid. I come and go at all hours of the night and sometimes I may well be rummaging thru my own stuff outside. In the darkness no one can see my face and yet my neighbors have never reported me!

Yagharek

Why not wait for actual burglary rather than potential burglary before attempting to murder them?

edit: I may have misread things. Thought you were referring to the police not the neighbour.

Joni

Why not wait for actual burglary rather than potential burglary before attempting to murder them?
How do you see the difference? You're going up to him and ask? I don't see how anyone could think that the neighbour is at fault here. I'm glad I don't live in your neighbourhoods, you'd see a crime and not try to report it.

Yagharek

How do you see the difference? You're going up to him and ask? I don't see how anyone could think that the neighbour is at fault here. I'm glad I don't live in your neighbourhoods.

Clarified above sorry, I thought you were referring to police.

Thank god my neighbors aren't paranoid. I come and go at all hours of the night and sometimes I may well be rummaging thru my own stuff outside. In the darkness no one can see my face and yet my neighbors have never reported me!

Same. And with all the stories of cops suddenly shooting people's pets because they were too rowdy and "threatening" I don't ever want cops showing up to my house without me having called them.

akira28

I'd hope your friend just uses the door and probably your lights would be on in your home. The neighbour saw something strange, he called the police to explain it. If it was overreacting, the officer on the line would have also said so. They are there to see if you're overreacting or not, that is why they ask so many questions. That is why they asked if the neighbours were at home for instance.

The answer is not "the law will sort it out." The answer is: be more sure of what you are doing and that your actions are helping and not hurting.

We can't even assume good intentions or if he was just trying to prevent "another one" from getting away..

East Lake

You've set up the dream situation for the neighbor which falls apart completely if they don't see the friend use the door.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That paid administrative leave will learn em'
This is the part that always pisses me off. Punish them by paying them. Is there at least some other punishment they have to put up with to make it less worth it?

Why is it every week there's more stories of police shooting totally against the training they most likely should have had?

Also, I'd hate to be that neighbor when he gets out of the hospital.

watershed

Banned
Same. And with all the stories of cops suddenly shooting people's pets because they were too rowdy and "threatening" I don't ever want cops showing up to my house without me having called them.
I was always taught to call the cops in the event of a crime but even then I wonder who these people are that call the cops on their own neighbors. Do they actually feel safer when cop cars fill the neighborhood and their street is sectioned off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom