• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Info Summary Thread: Trailers, Videos, Details, Screens, More

DrBo42

did you not read my post?

Yea, Bungie said their missions will be more cinematic by having more cutscenes and what not, but that's only part of it. It's the feeling of playing through a continuous movie that makes a Campaign feel like a Campaign to me, and that more than the absence of a story contributed to the first game's disjointed feeling. I would hope that D2 doesn't throw players back to the overworld after each mission to select their missions and bombard them with reward screens left right.

Fair point. At the very least returning to orbit after every activity is said to be gone so that's a step. Hopefully campaign is indeed seamless in that regard but with level requirements/suggestions maybe they still require player direction.

Alo0oy

Banned
The main purpose of the Hunters was always fashion, they make up for the hideous Titans and above average warlocks, you can't seriously do anything in Destiny without a Hunter there making your team look good.

Their functionality is mediocre outside of PvP.

Fair point. At the very least returning to orbit after every activity is said to be gone so that's a step. Hopefully campaign is indeed seamless in that regard but with level requirements/suggestions maybe they still require player direction.

Yea that's my main thing with the story. Made the whole thing feel too arcadey.

WinFonda

The changes made to subclasses are anything but "very slight" though. Removing Titan bubble and Warlock revive means we'll have a lot more variety in PVE/PVP rather than the cliche Defender for PVE and Striker/Sunbreaker for PVP. Now you can play whatever you want without gimping your fireteam.

This also allows them to balance encounters and future subclass additions without the fear of players just reverting back to Bubble/Revive cheese. It may look small on paper, but it means a lot in the long run.

Well sure, those kindsof changes are what I'd expect from a sequel. Removing things wholesale is fine by me.

I'm talking about Gunslinger and Striker looking to play exactly the same as D1. I played a shit ton of Gunslinger and it's honestly perplexing to see it returning with the same passives n shit.

Well sure, those kindsof changes are what I'd expect from a sequel. Removing things wholesale is fine by me.

I'm talking about Gunslinger and Striker looking to play exactly the same as D1. I played a shit ton of Gunslinger and it's honestly perplexing to see it returning with the same passives n shit.

Saying they play exactly the same is a bit disingenuous. First, a dodge for the Gunslinger is a big fucking deal, as it was the only class in Destiny 1 without any kind of defense mechanic. Like at all. That alone is going to change the playstyle for the class, and then you factor in the 3 additional shots and the passive that now reward precision gameplay. I think it'll be a far more rewarding and viable subclass than before, and that makes me excited as a diehard Gunslinger.

Strikers also see major changes with their super now being roaming. I have my concerns about the whole barrier thing, but that will also change the pace of combat for a Striker. Unfortunately skating seems to have been removed, so we could argue that they "dumbed it down" in favor of a passive mechanic. But at this point, we don't know how Bungie wanted the subclasses to play off of one another.

Sure the core of them aren't going to disappear, but why would anyone want it to? I'd be pissed if Gunslinger was something else entirely, and I don't see a reason for Bungie to throw out all of their previous subclasses for the sake of being new. It looks like they simply "unhid the fun" and made them more interesting.

People are also forgetting that this game will last at least 2 years. Not only have we not seen the other classes, but they'll probably add another subclass down the line. If it's simply a tweaked version of the ones they cut, that would be pretty stupid and I could understand uproar at that point.

Gunslinger changes:
6 shot
Dodges
Explosive knife
Bombs for bullseye
Gunslinger trance
Line em up

I guess the grenades could've changed to something, but there's a lot of changes just here. And we don't have enough info on damage etc.

WinFonda

Gunslinger changes:
6 shot
Dodges
Explosive knife
Bombs for bullseye
Gunslinger trance
Line em up

I guess the grenades could've changed to something, but there's a lot of changes just here. And we don't have enough info on damage etc.
Most of them seem like same thing with a different name, or a slight variant. I really don't see the difference other than the dodge mechanic.

I guess after 3 years of Destiny 1 I'm not exactly hyped for another 3 years of Golden Guns and Titan Smashes. Just seems lazy.

Spoo

Most of them seem like same thing with a different name, or a slight variant. I really don't see the difference other than the dodge mechanic.

I guess after 3 years of Destiny 1 I'm not exactly hyped for another 3 years of Golden Guns and Titan Smashes. Just seems lazy.

I feel you, but this is kind of the price of doing business with sequels too -- there are things people really like that, if they go away, you're just going to have those groups saying it's a step back. Destiny 2 has to be an additive experience -- the only question is whether it added enough, which is a legitimate argument people can and are having.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing I do hope they change from the reveal is the size of the Scout Rifles on screen. A lot of the other weapon classes seem more minimal or at least the same but the Scouts, at least the one available in this build, was enormous.

I don't know why anyone expected Bungie to throw out all of the previous subclasses or completely redesign them. The only game I know that used to completely redesign everything was Halo and look how that community turned out. Nobody knows what the fuck Halo is anymore.

Personally, I would have preferred they added a slight charge time to Golden Gun instead of 3 additional shots, but again, without seeing the interplay between the other classes, it's hard to say at this point whether it's another 3 years of the exact same thing or if things have been offset enough. Small changes on paper aren't always small changes in practice.

Kyoufu

Maybe it's just me but I'm looking forward to actually being able to use Striker in PVE for once. Plus now I can run out and smash more things :D

Having said that, Captain America subclass does look pretty cool.

WinFonda

I feel you, but this is kind of the price of doing business with sequels too -- there are things people really like that, if they go away, you're just going to have those groups saying it's a step back. Destiny 2 has to be an additive experience -- the only question is whether it added enough, which is a legitimate argument people can and are having.
yeah I get that, I'm not one of those people though... I like big shake ups... I mean at some point you have to be willing to leave things behind regardless

oh well, i'll prob just... not play Gunslinger!

Lasty95

I just don't see dps from hunters this time around. Golden looks so weak.

Don't think Hunters are DPS as such but it does seem like Bungie are doubling down on making the classes more distinct from one another.

Take the new globals; Titan's shield and the Warlock's Blessings/Weapons bubble will become absolute staples for all game types.

Hunter's will be off in the corner twirling around doing thier own thing.

I really like it.

X-Frame

Maybe it's just me but I'm looking forward to actually being able to use Striker in PVE for once. Plus now I can run out and smash more things :D

Having said that, Captain America subclass does look pretty cool.

I think it was a genius idea for Bungie to create these sub-class neutral Class Abilities that can be used with each class (at least I think that is confirmed?). Now, a Warlock doesn't NEED to be a specific sub-class for PvE because any one of them should be able to throw down a Healing or Empowering Rift. Any Titan subclass should be able to throw down a Rally Barricade for portable cover and instant reloads, or Towering Barricade to just filter or block pathways.

As a Striker, their Juggernaut Attunement looks like it'll be very fun in PvE if there are a lot of enemies. Being able to get health back on every melee kill (not just Storm Fist) plus run around like the Juggernaut smashing everything is going to be awesome.

I'm very excited to see the subclass perks of the Sentinel and Sunbreaker too. I'm hoping that the Sentinel excels at Defense, the Striker at Offense, and the Sunbreaker at Utility/Support somehow.

Don't think Hunters are DPS as such but it does seem like Bungie are doubling down on making the classes more distinct from one another.

Take the new globals; Titan's shield and the Warlock's Blessings/Weapons bubble will become absolute staples for all game types.

Hunter's will be off in the corner twirling around doing thier own thing.

I really like it.

Maybe not necessarily DPS but Saboteurs? They seem like they'd be up in the fight regardless.

Kyoufu

Hunter's dodge ability instantly reloads their weapon so I imagine players will be using that to deal some heavy damage.

WinFonda

I don't know why anyone expected Bungie to throw out all of the previous subclasses or completely redesign them. The only game I know that used to completely redesign everything was Halo and look how that community turned out. Nobody knows what the fuck Halo is anymore.

Well for me it's like, I quit Destiny awhile back. Mostly because it just got old. So when I'm looking to jump back into the sequel and I see things like subclasses sticking around with a lot of the same mechanics; it deflates my hype. The degree to which things are being recycled is debatable but for me it's essentially content I'm not interested in.

Alo0oy

Banned
What I want to see is an auto-loadout system for PvP and PvE, the game should automatically switch between your pre-determined loadouts based on the mode you're playing, I'd like to seamlessly switch between the two modes without having to switch weapons, armor, subclass,subclass skills...etc.

Spoo

Well for me it's like, I quit Destiny awhile back. Mostly because it just got old. So when I'm looking to jump back into the sequel and I see things like subclasses sticking around with a lot of the same mechanics; it deflates my hype. The degree to which things are being recycled is debatable but for me it's essentially content I'm not interested in.

I'm personally hoping that the additional ability for all classes brings a bit of freshness to the experience. I think Titans are going to get *way* more mileage out of the deployable shield than many are thinking right now -- it's the only ability right now I can think of that not only has a chance of counter-playing supers, but also power ammo. A big plus in PvP especially.

The universal dodge for Hunters is interesting, but it's certainly more of a "hop" than the annoying dodge roll of shadestep; the side-effect of refilling ammo or melee energy is a nice addition, but you know, Titans seem to get their weapons reloaded too when dropping a shield, so that balances out the class choice. It will get a lot of usage in PvP, though.

Warlocks getting the big PvE buffs of the game sort of rubs me the wrong way, though. That is something I think should have stayed with the Defender class, a class I'm not super happy to see go the way of the dodo. In PvP this ability is also going to be *super* powerful, though Titans can counterplay it with a shield I guess, the ability to give your entire team a buff when team shots are looking more and more important feels like it's going to get *a Lot* of abuse.

I wish so much we had more details on the Arcstrider. Bladedancer was my favorite class for things like Blink and Skip grenades as well as the quickdraw perk, so I'm hoping those things make it back with a bit of a spin in the Arcstrider class. We'll see, I'm doubting it though; D2 seems to want to walk back on a lot of abiltiies that have to do with agility.

ZeoVGM

Banned
In my view...

PVE:
Warlock: Sunsinger or Stormcaller (for clean sometimes)
Titan: Defender
Hunter: All useless... maybe only Nightstalker for genrerate orbs

PVP:
Warlock: Voidwalker, Subsinger or Stormcaller (depend of gears and abilities)
Titan: Striker or Sunbreaker
Hunter: Bladedancer, Gunslinger or Nightstalker (all are good for PVP)

Nightstalker is one of the most useful subclasses in the entire game.

Not to downplay Defender but Nightstalker is a must in Raids.

I'm personally hoping that the additional ability for all classes brings a bit of freshness to the experience. I think Titans are going to get *way* more mileage out of the deployable shield than many are thinking right now -- it's the only ability right now I can think of that not only has a chance of counter-playing supers, but also power ammo. A big plus in PvP especially.

The universal dodge for Hunters is interesting, but it's certainly more of a "hop" than the annoying dodge roll of shadestep; the side-effect of refilling ammo or melee energy is a nice addition, but you know, Titans seem to get their weapons reloaded too when dropping a shield, so that balances out the class choice. It will get a lot of usage in PvP, though.

Warlocks getting the big PvE buffs of the game sort of rubs me the wrong way, though. That is something I think should have stayed with the Defender class, a class I'm not super happy to see go the way of the dodo. In PvP this ability is also going to be *super* powerful, though Titans can counterplay it with a shield I guess, the ability to give your entire team a buff when team shots are looking more and more important feels like it's going to get *a Lot* of abuse.

I wish so much we had more details on the Arcstrider. Bladedancer was my favorite class for things like Blink and Skip grenades as well as the quickdraw perk, so I'm hoping those things make it back with a bit of a spin in the Arcstrider class. We'll see, I'm doubting it though; D2 seems to want to walk back on a lot of abiltiies that have to do with agility.

Shadestep is still in. Shadestep near enemies reloads melee and the sidestep reloads weapons.

Spoo

is it confirmed that you cant use the same account on PC as on xbox/ps4?

It is confirmed that you can not. (edit: Read Matt's response below)

Also thanks for the info Twilight. Interesting how they chose that -- seeing as how shadestep is a far superior dodge, but recharging melee is probably less valuable in the moment (especially needing to be near an enemy), whereas killing a reload completely is a very powerful ability (whether you are near an enemy or not), but the hop is not nearly as useful a dodge.

Balanced well, I suppose, to make you really consider the options and scenarios.

is it confirmed that you cant use the same account on PC as on xbox/ps4?

"Will there be any kind of, like, for people who are on console now but want to move to PC, is there any way they can move their characters over?

We've heard about that a lot. We definitely have gotten strong feedback that people are interested in that. At this time, we don't have anything to announce. We think it's super interesting, we totally get it, but we don't have anything really to say about that topic today.

But it's something on the table? Is it at least under discussion? Because it's the difference between ”we've heard about it and ruled it out" and ”we've heard about it and we're still thinking about it".

I mean, we're thinking about—this is a marathon, not a sprint, right? We've already got a pretty sizable history with Destiny and we expect a long one in the future, so I would say there are lots of things we would say, today, we're not doing, but that are on the table. This is something, certainly, I personally think about quite a lot.

I would love a persistent account. Because I don't want to leave all my other friends behind! But I want to play on PC.

I understand. I'm with you."

It's not confirmed not but so far everything points to sadly you cant.

KZObsessed

Can't get excited for this until I know how the loot system works. Havn't seen any engram drop in the gameplay footage yet...

RemiLP

Thanks.

If i could change between ps4 and PC, i would buy both versions day 1.

I really liked the casual "feel" of playing destiny on PS4 to relax, but i just cant say no to playing this game on PC. The things i can do with a kbm is light years ahead of what i can with a controller :p

ZeoVGM

Banned
My favorite thing to do as a Defender?

Step 1: Drop a bubble on a control point in Crucible.
Step 2: Dance.
Step 3: Punch people when they walk in, killing them.
Step 4: Repeat, as no one ever seems to learn you should never go into the other team's bubble, causing my super meter to recharge over and over.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Here's a couple of screens to illustrate what I was talking about earlier. A comparison between pulse and scout rifle's in game profiles. In D1 they were about the same but in D2 the scout seems massive.

Scout:
33965915984_676dfcd5ab_h.jpg

Pulse:
34646435412_1e015fc356_h.jpg

There was a leak with all the correct reveal info In.

The heavy machine gun weapon class has gone now. I personally imagine this has been folded into the kinect category with some slower paced assault rifles and exotics like the primary chain gun exotic

Trials of osiris is now called Trials of the Nine

The special weapon slot includes, rocket launchers, swords, shotguns, snipers, fusion rifles and a "special new type" that's already been in a trailer.

Cels

for destiny 1 players:

how important was the PS4 exclusive content? from what i've read xbox one players are still missing some exclusive content related to rise of iron?

i'm thinking of buying on PC, which is already delayed, so you know i'm willing to wait, but i don't like the idea of PS4 having content for a whole year before i'm allowed to play it just because I use a different platform

Kyoufu

for destiny 1 players:

how important was the PS4 exclusive content? from what i've read xbox one players are still missing some exclusive content related to rise of iron?

i'm thinking of buying on PC, which is already delayed, so you know i'm willing to wait, but i don't like the idea of PS4 having content for a whole year before i'm allowed to play it just because I use a different platform

The exclusive content for the most part was really good for PS4 owners. Hawkmoon was one of the best weapons in the game and Exodus Blue was one of the best PVP maps in the game. Hawkmoon was nerfed when Xbox owners got it (lol).

Was just mentioning this in Discord but it looks like the level design has improved, at least on Midtown. I haven't noticed any superfluous cover or sloppy geometry. Granted, Midtown is a safe ass 3 lane map, but if it's any indication of what is to come, I think this game will have a solid map pool.

darthbob

for destiny 1 players:

Y1 Exclusive was three Exotic weapons, Hawkmoon and Monte Carlo, and Fourth Horseman. A PvP map, and a PvE Strike. Also some blue quality gear. No one cared about the blue gear and the map, Exodus Blue (this week's Trials map) wasn't well regarded back in Y1 to my recollection, it's not a bad map though. The Strike wasn't very fun in Y1, to me anyway. Only major thing players missed out on was the original Y1 Hawkmoon.

Y2 Exclusive was again, Exotic weapons, Zen Meteor and Jade Rabbit, a terrible PvP map (sector 618) and another strike (cant recall name, it's vex themed), as well as some Legendary quality gear sets (sublime engrams). Personally none of this content, aside from the Strike, really mattered much to myself. Zen Meteor is a meh sniper rifle and Jade Rabbit is a good scout rifle but doesn't really fit my playstyle.

In summary, none of the PS Exclusive content ever really mattered to myself aside from how good that Y1 Hawkmoon was. Everything else was pretty meh, but still, having the Y2 exclusives still be exclusive really blows.

There was a leak with all the correct reveal info In.

The heavy machine gun weapon class has gone now. I personally imagine this has been folded into the kinect category with some slower paced assault rifles and exotics like the primary chain gun exotic

Trials of osiris is now called Trials of the Nine

The special weapon slot includes, rocket launchers, swords, shotguns, snipers, fusion rifles and a "special new type" that's already been in a trailer.
Grenade launcher I'm assuming

Top Bottom