• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT12| Play. Whine. Repeat.

I was thinking about the new leveling system. A lot of people I play with have been saying "I'm skipping the Vendor armor and going straight for Raid Armor". But Bungie noticed people were doing that with the VoG Armor and they don't want you to do that anymore and they designed a new system that makes that strategy a very bad one.

(1) Life as a 30 in the normal CE raid (not a real spoiler):
It's like going into the VoG as a 26.
(2) You need 84 Radiant Shards to level up your CE raid gear whenever you get a full set. Or you need 63 to level up 3 pieces + an exotic. That feels like it would take 6-8 weeks of raiding if you are only doing it on one character and if you do it every week and if you are lucky with your drops. So even if you get the good drops your going to be waiting a while (even if you want to get to 31 with one piece of CE Raid gear and one exotic it is still a long wait for the Radiant Shards).
(3) Bungie has made it really easy and very painless to level up your new Vendor armor if you have been playing the VoG and have a decent stack of Ascendant Shards. It doesn't even require you wasting any of your new and currently scarce Radiant shards that you will need to level up your future CE raid armor.

Message: If you are a raider it's not a good idea to "go straight for Raid Armor" you have to bite the bullet and level up to 31 with Vendor gear. You only need (1) VoG or IB piece of 30 light gear and (2) pieces of Vendor 33 light gear and (1) new post-DLC or upgraded exotic. Or four pieces of new Vendor Armor whichever you can get first IMO.

Agree, I have one character only and in my case I spent most of my resources getting to Level 30, all my Shards went to upgrading gear (including Exotics) prior to the Exotic Shard update and I spent all my marks on gear that I dismantled for shards. So I am a little bummed about having to re-up, but just gotta have patience now.

Shito

I can get behind a lot of criticisms made toward this DLC, but people complaining about those 3 bounties "without marker" and using reddit / a guide to complete them?
Hell no, those are awesome bounties to me!
Didn't those people read the description once they accepted them? The little "riddles" are nice, even if they are on the easy side: I really liked that the game actually challenged my knowledge of the cosmodrome.

It's a good step in the good direction, too bad some players decided they have to complete everything right away and did not give themselves a chance to figure them out...

adin75

I think that is the best idea if you just want to be most efficient in getting to the top.

That's what I was thinking, I'm swapping guns all the time anyway, why not add levelled up armour into the mix.

Playing the story 2 more times though, thats going to be the hard part.

Deku Tree

Agree, I have one character only and in my case I spent most of my resources getting to Level 30, all my Shards went to upgrading gear (including Exotics) prior to the Exotic Shard update and I spent all my marks on gear that I dismantled for shards. So I am a little bummed about having to re-up, but just gotta have patience now.

You'll get there soon I bet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Good post. I did not know you can get to 31 and still use one VOG/ Light 30 piece, thanks.

I was thinking about the new leveling system. A lot of people I play with have been saying "I'm skipping the Vendor armor and going straight for Raid Armor". But Bungie noticed people were doing that with the VoG Armor and they don't want you to do that anymore and they designed a new system that makes that strategy a very bad one.

(2) You need 84 Radiant Shards to level up your CE raid gear whenever you get a full set. Or you need 63 to level up 3 pieces + an exotic. That feels like it would take 6-8 weeks of raiding if you are only doing it on one character and if you do it every week and if you are lucky with your drops. So even if you get the good drops your going to be waiting a while (even if you want to get to 31 with one piece of CE Raid gear and one exotic it is still a long wait for the Radiant Shards).
(3) Bungie has made it really easy and very painless to level up your new Vendor armor if you have been playing the VoG and have a decent stack of Ascendant Shards. It doesn't even require you wasting any of your new and currently scarce Radiant shards that you will need to level up your future CE raid armor.

Message: If you are a raider it's not a good idea to "go straight for Raid Armor" you have to bite the bullet and level up to 31 with Vendor gear. You only need (1) VoG or IB piece of 30 light gear and (2) pieces of Vendor 33 light gear and (1) new post-DLC or upgraded exotic. Or four pieces of new Vendor Armor whichever you can get first IMO.
Yeah very good stuff here.

Just as there are a few avenues to hit 30 now, there are a few avenues to hit 31 as well. Depending on how quickly you need to do this, getting all four pieces of vendor gear is the quickest way- note that the gloves and boots do not require a commendation.

If you are okay playing a little more longitudinally and staying at 30 a little longer however- A combination of new raid, vendor, Iron Banner, upgraded/new exotic and old raid gear can also get you there. Having one 36 light exotic armor piece, especially a helm or chest, in your possession goes a long way- so please consider this when Xur shows up- if you're low on coins/etc, it is almost definitely worth it to upgrade an exotic helm or chest over any weapon.

Each CE Raid piece or max-light Exotic can be thought of making any VoG piece as good as a new vendor piece in terms of hitting 31.

So one example of how to hit it would be:
1 upgraded exotic helm
1 VoG raid chest
1 New IB gloves (starting 16th)
1 vendor boots

and many other permutations obviously.

gdt

This Vanguard commendation business is terrible. It truly does artificially slow progress, making you grind rep to get somewhere you already where.

My friend busted her ass a bit to hit vanguard rank (she was doing dead orbit by mistake, didn't know what the cloak did) and buy the helmet she needed to hit 27 and up but she never hit 30. Now she's unlucky enough to never had the raid helmet so she needs to rank again to buy a helmet or chest piece. She already grinded this stuff. It's not earning it if she already hit that rank.

Edit: when she just called and asked me how you'll get a vanguard commendation and I told her she needs to rank, her reaction was -_- "im never gonna hit 30. I just finished hitting that rank a couple weeks ago and here we go again"

Dante316

Yeah very good stuff here.

Just are there are a few avenues to hit 30 now, there are a few avenues to hit 31 as well. Depending on how quickly you need to do this, getting all four pieces of vendor gear is the quickest way- note that the gloves and boots do not require a commendation.

If you are okay playing a little more longitudinally and staying at 30 a little longer however- A combination of new raid, vendor, Iron Banner, upgraded/new exotic and old raid gear can also get you there. Having one 36 light exotic armor piece, especially a helm or chest, in your possession goes a long way- so please consider this when Xur shows up- if you're low on coins/etc, it is almost definitely worth it to upgrade an exotic helm or chest over any weapon.

Each CE Raid piece or max-light Exotic can be thought of making any VoG piece as good as a new vendor piece in terms of hitting 31.

So one example of how to hit it would be:
1 upgraded exotic helm
1 VoG raid chest
1 New IB gloves (starting 16th)
1 vendor boots

and many other permutations obviously.

I don't think what he said is true. Vendor gives you 33 light, raid and exotic is 36 light. To reach 31 you need 132 light? To reach 32 you need 144 light. The VOG stuff cant get u to 31 unless you need 126 light instead of 132.

Ambitious

I'm going to play the raid first and then I'm going to buy one of the armor pieces I still need after this. Maybe two.

I probably won't hit 31 anytime soon. As I've been leveling my third alt, I don't have any shards left.
And I kinda don't even care anymore.

Getting my Hunter to 30 was exciting as hell. Same for my Warlock. And now I'm so close with my Titan too. I was so looking forward to it. But now with the DLC, even hitting 31 will take me forever. It's not fun anymore. It's so goddamn convoluted.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think what he said is true. Vendor gives you 33 light, raid and exotic is 36 light. To reach 31 you need 132 light? To reach 32 you need 144 light. The VOG stuff cant get u to 31 unless you need 126 light instead of 132.
So:

upgrade exotic: 36
VoG: 30
new IB: 33
vendor: 33

=132 exactly.

For the purposes of getting to 31, each CE Raid or new-tier Exotic you have makes it possible to wear one VoG piece.

Wallach

33 (vendor item) + 33 (vendor item) + 36 (maxed DB exotic) + 30 (VoG/IB item) = 132 Light.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't worry, I'm sure the next go around will have level 32 light and everybody will be pissed again.
it's already been annouced, this IB session's gear will get you to 31, I assume the second one that comes through will have two pieces of 32-quality gear and your other two will have to be raid/exotic, just as before.

Namikaze1

Now this is pissing me off. I go back to orbit only to get stuck in loading screen hell.

And now I got sent back to orbit from loading screen hell.

odd, i thought will of crota was quite quick and the boss room well-designed.

it's the exact opposite of these two things.

you spawn miles away and fight through wave after wave of adds tacked on top of areas you've already fought, and then one "event" happens before you descend into the new area.

the beginning of the jovian complex has a nice atmosphere, but that encounter comparatively lasts really short before you make your way to the boss.

the boss room itself is dark, cramped and visually noisy with awkward, unnatural sightlines and monster closets everywhere you'd expect you'd be able to stand in the room itself. If you stand right next to the wizard, your screen turns blue as you're bombarded with a shower of blue plasma from her and the million other adds flooding the room. the most effective way of doing this strike while minimizing exposure to the adds is to fight from the entrance - a tiny area with more awkward sightlines and a constant barrage of bullets hurled your way. simply opening the garage door at the top balcony and blocking the monster closet at the balcony on the other side would have opened up the gameplay. they instead went for the dull and shallow approach to prolong the encounter.

i wonder why bungie refuses to throw any of the mechanics from the story missions/raid into the strikes. they're squandering every opportunity to make these things interesting.

at least the initial spawn location is visually appealing.

ah got it, thanks. Getting that exotic is definitely key.

I'd focus on that exotic being in the helm slot as well, since as far as we know the Normal Raid for CE/TDB will not drop a Raid quality helm.

That way the push to 32 will focus on just swapping in Raid gear for the other three slots that you can get on Normal.

Trakan

you spawn miles away and fight through wave after wave of adds tacked on top of areas you've already fought, and then one "event" happens before you descend into the new area.

the boss room is dark, cramped and noisy with awkward, unnatural sightlines and monster closets everywhere you'd expect you'd be able to stand in the room itself. If you stand right next to the wizard, your screen turns blue as you're bombarded with a shower of blue plasma from her and the million other adds flooding the room. the most effective way of doing this strike while minimizing exposure to the adds is to fight from the entrance - a tiny area with more awkward sightlines and a constant barrage of bullets hurled your way. simply opening the garage door at the top balcony and blocking the monster closet at the balcony on the other side would have opened up the gameplay. they instead went for the dull and shallow approach to prolong the encounter.

i wonder why bungie refuses to throw any of the mechanics from the story missions/raid into the strikes. they're squandering every opportunity to make these things interesting.

They could have softened the blow by making the "chase" sequence with her result in her having lower health in the final room, but nah, let's just reset her health back to full.

The room was designed that way because Bungie is afraid of cheese. It's really clear with these two new strikes.

They could have softened the blow by making the "chase" sequence with her result in her having lower health in the final room, but nah, let's just reset her health back to full.

The room was designed that way because Bungie is afraid of cheese. It's really clear with these two new strikes.

you can at least move around in the undying mind strike. and just about every other strike in the game.

it's hard to believe crota's end and will of crota exist in the same game.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So no point in playing Iron banner next week unless you want exclusive stuff. I'm still exhausted from the previous one. Did all that grind just to have worthless gear and weapons from then.

Deku Tree

the beginning of the jovian complex has a nice atmosphere, but that encounter comparatively lasts really short before you make your way to the boss.

the boss room itself is dark, cramped and visually noisy with awkward, unnatural sightlines and monster closets everywhere you'd expect you'd be able to stand in the room itself. If you stand right next to the wizard, your screen turns blue as you're bombarded with a shower of blue plasma from her and the million other adds flooding the room. the most effective way of doing this strike while minimizing exposure to the adds is to fight from the entrance - a tiny area with more awkward sightlines and a constant barrage of bullets hurled your way. simply opening the garage door at the top balcony and blocking the monster closet at the balcony on the other side would have opened up the gameplay. they instead went for the dull and shallow approach to prolong the encounter.

And on top of that the Wizards and the boss are sometimes able to penetrate the balcony metal door with their blasts and do major damage to you. It was happening to me and Darryl and Math today.

you can at least move around in the undying mind strike. and just about every other strike in the game.

Bungie should promote Luke Smith from lead raid designer to lead raid and strike designer or something.

I was playing through it last night, fighting Omnigul from that lobby room shooting at an awkward angle to kill the boss. I kept saying to my fireteam, "There's no way this is how you do the encounter. I bet there's a good place to be if we go inside of the room."

No. Deathtrap.

also on the point of "cheese", it's natural for a player to seek out an advantageous position. This is usually high ground or an area with a chokepoint players can control if they watch them.

Most of the strikes don't cater to this. If there's a place the player might "camp", they put a monster closet behind them. If there's somewhere the players can lock down, the boss is never within line of sight.

They want people to run around like maniacs throwing bullets at a bunch of adds. It's no wonder they're hiding under staircases.

kiguel182

In my journey to try and get back to the game I just did the Dust Palace strike as part of the Tiger playlist.

We died like 2 times and I was getting frustrated as hell (we lasted a good while before dying) but in the final try we quickly dispatched the first two guys (I luckily sent one of them flying off the rails) and the strike ended with the three of us circling the last boss with no enemies in sight and we just shooting at him mercilessly.

It was such an amazing final moment, specially after our failed attempts. It just felt great. There's a lot of things to hate about this game but this just it delivers big time from time to time.

Of course then I realised I'll have to repeat this Strike a bunch and I looked at my Vanguard reputation and saw I still had a long way to go.

Top Bottom