• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT21| Our House, in the Middle of the Reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought Destiny for Ps4 a week ago and I have a titan and warlock at 23 and 25. I should have 200 marks for each and vanguard level 2 by tomorrow. I should just save those marks for the new vendor gear that coming in HoW's right? I think it would be pointless to buy any other gear right now since the new stuff will out class it; even though I will be stuck running strikes until HoW since I'm too low of lvl to do anything else.

Yep just wait.

M3Rocket

I always look worse in a good group, pulling up the rear. I try to blame lag for my inadequacy (it is true), but everyone has lag, so I have no excuse.

I can almost guarantee that if I was on the team, I'd displace you.

Actually, playing with a group sometimes makes me play worse. Everyone stealing my damn kills. Assists up the wazoo. My best games I'm usually going solo. Also probably helps to stop it being so laggy.

The last hour or so has been an absolute lag fest.

I've found it easier going into Crucible solo. As broken as the matchmaking is, I stand a better chance of getting matched with players around my PvP ability. When I group up with good PVP players in my clan, we almost always end up playing much better players who basically have an easier time picking on the weakest players like myself.

And the better players on my team? Well, they might use me as bait to get their kills, both intentionally and unintentionally. Or simply because of their superior movement, map knowledge, et al. Their TTK is just so much faster because of experience and skill way beyond my own.

PvP Academy is a nice idea, but due to the matchmaking, I'm not sure there's really an effective way to run one. It's only going to get worse with ToO. None of the better PvP players will want to waste their time bringing along scrubs like myself. And I don't blame them.

haha this blink shotgun is stupid. I just started doing that junk today and it was hilarious.

blink + shotgun
blink + energy drain

so ridiculous how effective this is.

I'm gonna be posting some stats for the last 20 OTs over the next few weeks. first wave will be numerical stats like who has the most posts and all that. second wave will be content stuff (what percentage of each thread is LFG, etc.)

here's a snippet:

• OT1 lasted 8 days from September 2nd to September 9th
  • OT2 lasted 6 days from September 9th to September 14th
  • OT3 lasted 6 days from September 14th to September 19th
  • OT4 lasted 7 days from September 19th to September 25th
  • OT5 lasted 6 days from September 25th to September 30th
  • OT6 lasted 8 days from September 30th to October 7th
  • OT7 lasted 9 days from October 7th to October 15th
  • OT8 lasted 12 days from October 15th to October 26th
  • OT9 lasted 15 days from October 26th to November 9th
  • OT10 lasted 18 days from November 9th to November 26th
  • OT11 lasted 14 days from November 26th to December 9th
  • OT12 lasted 13 days from December 9th to December 21st
  • OT13 lasted 13 days from December 21st to January 2nd
  • OT14 lasted 12 days from January 2nd to January 13th
  • OT15 lasted 11 days from January 13th to January 23rd
  • OT16 lasted 12 days from January 23rd to February 3rd
  • OT17 lasted 21 days from February 3rd to February 23rd
  • OT18 lasted 21 days from February 23rd to March 15th
  • OT19 lasted 34 days from March 15th to April 17th
  • OT20 lasted 25 days from April 17th to May 11th

OT5 was the fastest
OT19 was the slowest
Destiny reached 20 OTs after 251 days

GutZ31

I bought Destiny for Ps4 a week ago and I have a titan and warlock at 23 and 25. I should have 200 marks for each and vanguard level 2 by tomorrow. I should just save those marks for the new vendor gear that coming in HoW's right? I think it would be pointless to buy any other gear right now since the new stuff will out class it; even though I will be stuck running strikes until HoW since I'm too low of lvl to do anything else.

Anything you get now will be able to hit that 365 attack value come HoW.
The question is now, do you find anything in the towers inventory to your liking, enough to warrant spending those marks?

To upgrade to 365, all legendary items will need etheric light, a new hard to come by material.

Exotics get off easy with only needing another exotic shard, which is easily bought at Xur on Friday~Saturday, or from breaking down an unwanted exotic.

ich00

i will never forget |OT20| - it's where i got my first g'horn, and achieved GLord status! :D

OT20 did have some good memories, mainly getting the Tuesday 9:30 crew going full steam, I'm just a little salty about missing one exotic for so long.

Maybe I'll try and do a hm crota kill or two tonight, nah f that.
unless a group wants to do hm crota, I'd be totally down!

I'm gonna be posting some stats for the last 20 OTs over the next few weeks. first wave will be numerical stats like who has the most posts and all that. second wave will be content stuff (what percentage of each thread is LFG, etc.)

here's a snippet:

• OT1 lasted 7 days from September 2nd to September 9th
  • OT2 lasted 5 days from September 9th to September 14th
  • OT3 lasted 5 days from September 14th to September 19th
  • OT4 lasted 6 days from September 19th to September 25th
  • OT5 lasted 5 days from September 25th to September 30th
  • OT6 lasted 7 days from September 30th to October 7th
  • OT7 lasted 8 days from October 7th to October 15th
  • OT8 lasted 11 days from October 15th to October 26th
  • OT9 lasted 14 days from October 26th to November 9th
  • OT10 lasted 17 days from November 9th to November 26th
  • OT11 lasted 13 days from November 26th to December 9th
  • OT12 lasted 12 days from December 9th to December 21st
  • OT13 lasted 12 days from December 21st to January 2nd
  • OT14 lasted 11 days from January 2nd to January 13th
  • OT15 lasted 10 days from January 13th to January 23rd
  • OT16 lasted 11 days from January 23rd to February 3rd
  • OT17 lasted 20 days from February 3rd to February 23rd
  • OT18 lasted 20 days from February 23rd to March 15th
  • OT19 lasted 33 days from March 15th to April 17th
  • OT20 lasted 24 days from April 17th to May 11th

OT5 was the fastest
OT19 was the slowest

Awesome data, but don't kill yourself with it. Also, doesn't spending time here tempt you to come back?

GhaleonEB

here's a snippet:

• OT1 lasted 7 days from September 2nd to September 9th
  • OT2 lasted 5 days from September 9th to September 14th
  • OT3 lasted 5 days from September 14th to September 19th
  • OT4 lasted 6 days from September 19th to September 25th
  • OT5 lasted 5 days from September 25th to September 30th
  • OT6 lasted 7 days from September 30th to October 7th
  • OT7 lasted 8 days from October 7th to October 15th
  • OT8 lasted 11 days from October 15th to October 26th
  • OT9 lasted 14 days from October 26th to November 9th
  • OT10 lasted 17 days from November 9th to November 26th
  • OT11 lasted 13 days from November 26th to December 9th
  • OT12 lasted 12 days from December 9th to December 21st
  • OT13 lasted 12 days from December 21st to January 2nd
  • OT14 lasted 11 days from January 2nd to January 13th
  • OT15 lasted 10 days from January 13th to January 23rd
  • OT16 lasted 11 days from January 23rd to February 3rd
  • OT17 lasted 20 days from February 3rd to February 23rd
  • OT18 lasted 20 days from February 23rd to March 15th
  • OT19 lasted 33 days from March 15th to April 17th
  • OT20 lasted 24 days from April 17th to May 11th

OT5 was the fastest
OT19 was the slowest
Very interesting, I was wondering about this but had not taken the time to look. Of note, Bloodborn came out early in OT19's run, which likely explains how long it was. People coming back to Destiny and the HoW reveals explain OT20 being shorter.

noomi

OT19 <3

So will the update tomorrow actually change anything or will it just just sitting on our hard drives waiting to unlock in the 19th?

GhaleonEB

OT19 <3

So will the update tomorrow actually change anything or will it just just sitting on our hard drives waiting to unlock in the 19th?

A lot of changes will go live, including all the updates to the Crucible rewards. Most changes will happen when HoW is turned on.

Deku Tree

Thanks for misleading us again IGN:

*Update 2* Bungie has clarified their original statement and it would appear that new exotics will not be dropping in old raids. They sent through the following statement. "I wanted to clarify the previously made comment about Exotic items and raids. With the launch of House of Wolves, VoG and Crota’s End will begin to drop old exotics at the new power levels from House of Wolves. VoG and CE will not be dropping any of the new exotics. Their loot tables haven’t changed just the power level of the items they can drop." They also confirmed that the difficulty level of the old Raids will not be changing with the expansions release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/08/destinys-new-exotics-will-drop-in-old-missions

PvP Academy is a nice idea, but due to the matchmaking, I'm not sure there's really an effective way to run one. It's only going to get worse with ToO. None of the better PvP players will want to waste their time bringing along scrubs like myself. And I don't blame them.

We could maybe try using that same "sweaty Skirmish" method with Gaf teams to group up 3v3 since you could have everyone in party chat, if people want to try it. Take things easy and talk about strats, approaches, positioning on each map etc. and then start playing kinda-sorta for real after a little while to get some "game speed" practice. Might be fun.

As for ToO, while I have a "set team" right now it's not set in stone by any means as the only people I'll play with during the event. Just means that we'll prioritize grouping up when we're all available but any time we can't all make it, I'd definitely want to play with anyone and everyone. Like I've always said, I'm no MLG-Pro but I've played a lot of matches and generally do well in a team that communicates, as do most players.

Also, we don't know how long it'll take to "clear" ToO content each week on 3 characters.

• How hard will it be to get a Lv34 armor set for each character and will that make a big difference in finishing ToO?
  • How hard are the passage coins to come by? I believe you need 9 to buy all 3 consumable items, and then you'd only have to win 7 matches before losing 4 times to max out your card at "9 wins."
  • Only 7 wins are needed to get the weekly armor and weapon, which might be all we really want each week.
  • We still don't know what happens with a maxed ToO card, or if you'd need to reach that each week on each character to maximize loot, etc.

LTWood12

We could maybe try using that same "sweaty Skirmish" method with Gaf teams to group up 3v3 since you could have everyone in party chat, if people want to try it. Take things easy and talk about strats, approaches, positioning on each map etc. and then start playing kinda-sorta for real after a little while to get some "game speed" practice. Might be fun.

As for ToO, while I have a "set team" right now it's not set in stone by any means as the only people I'll play with during the event. Just means that we'll prioritize grouping up when we're all available but any time we can't all make it, I'd definitely want to play with anyone and everyone. Like I've always said, I'm no MLG-Pro but I've played a lot of matches and generally do well in a team that communicates, as do most players.

Also, we don't know how long it'll take to "clear" ToO content each week on 3 characters.

• How hard will it be to get a Lv34 armor set for each character and will that make a big difference in finishing ToO?
  • How hard are the passage coins to come by? I believe you need 9 to buy all 3 consumable items, and then you'd only have to win 7 matches before losing 4 times to max out your card at "9 wins."
  • Only 7 wins are needed to get the weekly armor and weapon, which might be all we really want each week.
  • We still don't know what happens with a maxed ToO card, or if you'd need to reach that each week on each character to maximize loot, etc.

I just love that as a community this kind of thing is already being planned.

Ot 19 was abysmal. I stopped playinf for half that time becuase most of dgaf stopped playing around that time. But i also think we picked up some new players around that time

Edit. I said time way too much lol

Deku Tree

Based on everything we know everyone should be level 34 by week two if you do everything. People can be level 34 by week one, or day one at least on one character if you run multiple toons, if they go hog wild.

The problem is the passage coins are single use right? So you have to buy them each time you buy a new passage right?

ToO is going to be more competitive because it requires set teams, but I bet a lot of PvP regulars are gonna bang out their wins on their first passage and have everything pretty quickly each week.

Thanks for misleading us again IGN:

I always assumed they just meant power level when they said "new exotics" or w/e. Same as they eventually did with TDB. The only disappointing part is they kinda-sorta teased a more exciting update about new raid difficulty levels, which would have been a great idea. Oh well, 1 portal Atheon kills will be really silly now.

th3dude

Anyone up for running through the weeklies with a lowly 28 hunter that's trying to get back into the game?

PS4 th3dude119

GutZ31

The problem is the passage coins are single use right? So you have to buy them each time you buy a new passage right?

ToO is going to be more competitive because it requires set teams, but I bet a lot of PvP regulars are gonna bang out their wins on their first passage and have everything pretty quickly each week.

You lose 3 times in ToO and you get sent to orbit.
To re-enter ToO, you need to go back to the Reef and talk to Brother Vance to buy a coin to continue.
The coin he sells is 100 glimmer, and can be re-bought as many times as you need to.

also, i think it'd be neat to try out these builds with the new sidearms

universal remote, no land beyond
vestian dynasty

badger ccl, vision of confluence
dreg's promise

mida multi tool, fate of all fools
vestian dynasty

the third one in particular is basically a halo loadout

Deku Tree

You lose 3 times in ToO and you get sent to orbit.
To re-enter ToO, you need to go back to the Reef and talk to Brother Vance.
the coin he sells is 100 glimmer, and can be re-bought as many times as you need to.

Right but "passage coins" are separate and they allow you to "start with a win" and "forgive your first loss" and "your first win counts as two"... each of those benefits costs three "passage coins"... It is currently unclear how to get "passage coins" and how plentiful they are...

Getting the hang of Warlocks.
11165165_395166850690074_5317239396474964053_o.jpg

I just love that as a community this kind of thing is already being planned.

haha I'm really hoping, fingers crossed, that we'll be able to clear a maxed ToO invitation reasonably quickly on the first day. And then free up time to (hopefully) help other grousp if I can. Besides, I get fewer kills playing with Unstable, same as everyone else :p

Based on everything we know everyone should be level 34 by week two if you do everything. People can be level 34 by week one, or day one, if they go hog wild.

Yeah pretty sure the passage coins are used up just like strange coins. My impression is they will be added to the blue/Rare-level loot drops, same as Motes and SCs. In the ToO stream, a guy bought the level ~4 Blue package from the ToO vendor and it gave him at least one PC and maybe some Motes. I'm really hoping you can start getting PCs from any blue engram decryption, same as MoL and SCs.

Like you said, I'm hoping there are enough people playing ToO for gear to dilute the average team skill level. Normal Skirmish is hard to judge because most teams are quite bad, or you're matched with a 2-team+blueberry which can't happen in ToO. Only rarely have we gone against competitive teams that really push or even beat us, usually it's the opposite problem of steamrolling too easily.

GutZ31

rNilla

also, i think it'd be neat to try out these builds with the new sidearms

universal remote, no land beyond
vestian dynasty

badger ccl, vision of confluence
dreg's promise

mida multi tool, fate of all fools
vestian dynasty

the third one in particular is basically a halo loadout

NLB doesn't need a sidearm it just needs ammo. I'd trade the special slot entirely for more ammo.

GutZ31

Keep reading down the page of your own link:

boon-of-osiris.png

favor-of-osiris.png

mercy-of-osiris.png

my bad, just realized what you were trying to correct. I called it a coin just because it looks like one, but they call it a Trials Passage.
As for the info on how to get the Passage Coins, its in the link as well.

Passage Coins can be used to buy helpful ToO consumables. Earn Passage Coins by playing daily featured Crucible playlists or normal Crucible.

I hope you forgive my ramblings, I am on cold medicine and it might be a losing battle of sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom