• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

GutZ31

For sure, I hate DGAF. Get over yourself already, maaaaaaaan.
tumblr_m3qf6kq72e1qf2wdco1_500.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have to be blunt, I'm taken aback by this attitude and find it to be the Achilles' Heel of community threads. I do not see the community forum as a bubble separate from the gaming forum. The overall atmosphere may indeed be different, and I absolutely understand the desire to participate in a positive community; however, if we are going to continue to be positive community, it would be unwise to behave exclusively.
I'm not talking about behaving exclusively and I know it isn't a separate bubble as much as many who do set up camp here wish it were so. I understand all too well how intrinsically DestinyGAF and the Gaming forum at large are both just as much part of GAF the forum as the other, and this is my main, severe problem with the meme that "NeoGAF hates Destiny" because it evokes loud and even vitriolic reactions from many of its users when discussed if you pop open any given gaming side thread. NeoGAF loves Destiny, to the tune of the game taking the position of its #1 most active and largest community with a bullet. There are those, many of them, that dislike, dismiss or vehemently oppose the game within the same forum, and those individuals are not likely to participate in (or at least frequent for long) the community OTs associated with the game. Both regardless of and because of this factor, I disagree with your implication that any form of forced merging between this thread and gaming side would result in any sort of net positive for the community, and it's especially newcomers with many questions that I bear in mind.
I'm also disappointed that you'd be less inclined to help members unless they posted in this thread.
I didn't say that.

And in fact I've never adhered to such a policy at any point during my time with this game. I've sent somewhere on the order of 50+ private messages to individuals asking factual questions in Destiny threads on gaming side amid a deluge of negativity and unlikely to receive an answer within the thread directly. In such messages I will always, of course, additionally direct those individuals to these community threads where assistance and constructive discussion is altogether more likely.

I've never had any qualms about this approach, and rather than embroil myself with largely circular arguments in the threads themselves I opt not to participate- not to belabor the point, but again, in the threads themselves. That you interpret this as something to do with my inclination to help players of this game is a simple mistake.
If you value your personal time such that you are unable to spread your attention between two threads, I'll respect that.
I do value my personal time highly. I have devoted an enormous portion of it to this community and I think the facts would bear me out on this claim.

It is not for any reason of personal time management or a desire not to be bothered with extra effort that I would not participate in a large, official gaming side thread created for the Taken King. It's because I imagine any such thread to be nonconstructive, filled with noise and difficult to use either as a source of information or a collaborative tool for assisting new players.
Nevertheless, I find it contradictory to support the thread split and then promptly opt out any participation.
I do not support any thread split.

I thought I made it clear within that post that my favored position is to create no specific official thread on gaming side at all. My reasoning behind this cites the overwhelming awareness of TTK (and Destiny in general) that already exists among forumgoers, and the large and active community thread catering to all discussion, question-and-answer, grouping, news, and so on and so forth of the game in question.

These threads, by and large, have become pretty damn solid for a while now. They are welcoming and generally positive and constructive despite the enormous size of the community. I don't see any downside to directing newcomers here as frequently and confidently as possible.
That isn't to say anyone is obligated to post on the other forum - that is of course their own decision. The fact remains however that there will be new and returning members to the Destiny community on this site. The onus will always be on us to accommodate them, just as many members here once accommodated those who are now regulars.
It's troubling that your takeaway from this is that I'm somehow against the idea of accommodating new or returning players... that sort of thing is precisely how I spend a lot of my actual gaming time in Destiny.

In addition to the aforementioned practice of PMing members when I notice a question asked and unanswered, as well as advocating for the practice of

If gaming side threads are popping up complaining about DestinyGAF being "too cliquey" to find a group, then we have a problem.
In that event, we would indeed have a problem.

It's entirely possible that moving the thread over isn't realistic, to which I'd understand.
Don't have any idea about this, but I assume it can be done from a technical perspective.
It's also possible that a thread for the expansion is unnecessary to begin with.
This point, for this particular expansion, I would argue is in fact the case. I'd be very surprised if TTK is in need of an "awareness blitz" the way that lower profile games often do.

In fact, frankly if I were not a fan of the game but was a frequenter of the gaming side front page, I'd probably be a little sick of hearing about Destiny by this point. There have been new threads for minutiae that wouldn't register a radar blip in the online life of other titles.
[quote[It ultimately comes down to the awareness on the site and how we go about conveying the new information to players.[/quote]
And my position is simply that new players will be best served by coming here. I honestly .do my absolute best on a personal level, as often as I can, to ensure that this is the case. Whether it's reassuring players that a change will not be as disastrous or encompassing as it's made out to be, focusing on lower-level/less-optimized content that would not appeal to hardcore or regular players, or creating a progression or mode guide for basic foundational knowledge, I keep this kind of player in mind constantly.

I focus primarily in Destiny on things that hardcore players will likely never need explained or even give a second thought.
To reiterate a point I made earlier, a pre-release thread should have already been up and current to manage that information, thereby easing members into the community thread.

Hell, we may as well just do that. It worked for HoW and it works for other communities.
Don't understand what if any problem with this you're raising or why it hasn't been/can't be done.
By temporarily moving to the Gaming side, this does mainly 1 thing: attracts more people to take part in our community. There will always be haters/bashers of the game, but that seems to be getting less and less. Also, I don't think there will be a lot of people stopping in to do such a thing or the usual bans will get released.

By moving over to that side, we attract more people to join our awesome community. The hype is real and it's obvious there are a lot of new people within the past few weeks and months, people interested in starting once TTK starts, and people that are giving the game a 2nd (or more) chance with TTK.

Our community is great and we all love it here on this side, but there's nothing wrong with being over there and inviting all to join us. I think it opens that up more. Once we move back, I can see a lot of new regulars being with us and that'd be great.
There's nothing wrong with this argument so much as it's about the degree to which something which absolutely will happen will happen. Make no mistake, brand new players and longtime absent returning players will be here, in these threads, as the next few months progress, whether an OT appears on gaming side or not. If the majority of the community believes that it would be better to accelerate/amplify this effect by making this thread more visible, then that's what we should do regardless of how I feel about it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
People should just stop posting "looking to do (activity)" posts if they are only meant for their friends. Message your fucking friends, then. That would help the thread feel less cliquey.

That's a good suggestion. DGAF shouldn't be an advertisement board for your clique. If you post it here, it's open to anyone.

to be fair about the cliqueyness. we were treated like leppers on Neogaf for a good while.
Remember the post in Todds gaming side thread about HoPF. something along the lines of
"didn't we exile these guys to community so shit like this wouldn't happen"

just had each other for a long time. I welcome all our newcomers. buts it been a pretty tight nit family for a while. so forgive us for that, well try and do better

zewone

People should just stop posting "looking to do (activity)" posts if they are only meant for their friends. Message your fucking friends, then. That would help the thread feel less cliquey.

Hmm...I can't recall a specific scenario like that happening, but people do use this thread as their chat room for inside jokes and messaging.

For the most part, people posting in here looking to do activities are usually open to anyone who replies.

E92 M3

There was just a raid template posted by ocean a few pages ago. Half of it was prefilled out with dgaf veterans. A lot of them said they wouldn't even be able to make it. I PM'd and posted to ocean about the being included. Sure the thread moves fast but a pre made raid list could've just been PM'd. That's super clique mentality if I've ever seen it.

Some people just run together - no big deal. Maybe, I'm just not sensitive to this stuff, but generally everyone can get a group together.

erm, for the most part. yes.
others, well, not so much.

True; I shouldn't have been so absolute.

I feel like I've been around for DGAF since the real early days. I've been playing since the Alpha and I feel like I've played with most, if not all, the posters here at least once. However, if I ever need to run any sort of activity, I always end up going over to reddit to find peeps to play with. Everyone has their set groups that they want to run stuff with and everyone else just kind of works around that.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Well yeah I just posted about that as well. It kinda makes people feel left out.
im too sensitive for this shit

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Some people just run together - no big deal. Maybe, I'm just not sensitive to this stuff, but generally everyone can get a group together.

True; I shouldn't have been so absolute.
Then those people that run together should PM each other if only specific people are only allowed to play with them. I'm obviously new to dgaf but I really like you all. If I see posters I like talking about starting a fire team but that shit is exclusive it makes me and others feel left out. At that point the community isn't open at all

E92 M3

Then those people that run together should PM each other if only specific people are only allowed to play with them. I'm obviously new to dgaf but I really like you all. If I see posters I like talking about starting a fire team but that shit is exclusive it makes me and others feel left out. At that point the community isn't open at all

It's not exclusive. If an opening comes up just ask to join. I think you're making a big deal out of nothing here.

Kalamari

Let's crack open the Vault of Glass and bring back some memories of how challenging it was, once upon a time. Let's get our worst armor and bring our level down, in true Vanilla fashion to a level 29 wipefest. Time: to be determined, but probably next week post Banana.

1. Ocean. The scrubbiest vet in the game.
2. Fig. Her back is strong, and she knows the Vault well...but the Vault knows her.
3. Hawk. This birdman will take a seat in the noob's seat for once and watch hobgoblins Sherpa his dead body into the darkness. A Hawkmoon might cry in the distance.
3. Rodiard. This man's insanity has been proven time and time again - Hawkifying, boarding hypenaughts, and using NLB.
4. Kalamari. I haven't played much with you, but bonds will be forged in the madness.
5. Nami. Your crazy needs no explanation.
6. Rayray. You won't steal my kills here, I won't allow it.

A few people were insane enough to show interest! EloquentM, Sentient - well 99% surely need alts with something "planned" this far in advance, so save your blues just in case.

Drizzay, we might need your calculator skills for minute details on under leveled Raid encounters. Stay tuned.

Nah, my Gjallarhorn suicide skills are unparalleled.

I think I still have some unascended and unleveled VoG gear to get that 29. I should be available after 12 noon pdt on Saturday if that day is the best time frame for this endeavor.

Also, I think GalacticToast and AQ (biggy) have the same avatar picture.

Horror arrived in the mail...a jury summons for 9/14. Been really hoping if I do get stuck, the trial doesn't ruin my TTK launch day.

Think "Earth needs me to stop Oryx" will be a valid postponement excuse? Stupid social and civil responsibilities. What has it ever gotten me, other than a reasonably stable and pleasant country to live in?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's not exclusive. If an opening comes up just ask to join. I think you're making a big deal out of nothing here.
I suppose. Just expressing an observation, though now I see ocean edited his post to include me and one other as an alt so now I feel like a dick.

Horror arrived in the mail...a jury summons for 9/14. Been really hoping if I do get stuck, the trial doesn't ruin my TTK launch day.

Think "Earth needs me to stop Oryx" will be a valid postponement excuse? Stupid social and civil responsibilities. What has it ever gotten me, other than a reasonably stable and pleasant country to live in?

Tell them you are at another trial.

The trial of Oryx...

so as part of the DLC prep, i was planning on saving up the 100rep vanguard bounties, but, now that there's only legendary marks, doesn't that mean that 100rep crucible bounties will also yield me the same results?

zewone

The trick is to tell them you're prejudice against all races.

Let's crack open the Vault of Glass and bring back some memories of how challenging it was, once upon a time. Let's get our worst armor and bring our level down, in true Vanilla fashion to a level 29 wipefest. Time: to be determined, but probably next week post Banana.

1. Ocean. The scrubbiest vet in the game.
2. Fig. Her back is strong, and she knows the Vault well...but the Vault knows her.
3. Hawk. This birdman will take a seat in the noob's seat for once and watch hobgoblins Sherpa his dead body into the darkness. A Hawkmoon might cry in the distance.
3. Rodiard. This man's insanity has been proven time and time again - Hawkifying, boarding hypenaughts, and using NLB.
4. Kalamari. I haven't played much with you, but bonds will be forged in the madness.
5. Nami. Your crazy needs no explanation.
6. Rayray. You won't steal my kills here, I won't allow it.

A few people were insane enough to show interest! EloquentM, Sentient - well 99% surely need alts with something "planned" this far in advance, so save your blues just in case.

Drizzay, we might need your calculator skills for minute details on under leveled Raid encounters. Stay tuned.

Nah, my Gjallarhorn suicide skills are unparalleled.

Exhibit 1a of the cliquey nature of this thread.

Hedera

I think in all my time of decrypting I've only gotten God of War from Rahool. Arctic Proxy still eludes me as well.
Never got those two. I do have Substance though. I use it on my Hunter and actually like it. Maybe because I never see anyone use it so it kinda feels special ;p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
one could argue that we [DGaf] already do. :/
Let's be clear and honest, DGAF has been "too cliquey" for quite a while now.
I have a huge problem with this concept, and I wish you guys would be more specific. :-/

From my perspective in comparison to other communities I have been a part of (and this is a substantial list), this is rather seriously not a cliquey or exclusive community. People have certainly made friends and kept them here, which I don't yet see as a negative (though I could be missing something), but:

-It's too big to be cliquey in any meaningful, organized way. There are just too many damn people to be truly exclusionary. So I'm for the moment clinging to the hope that it just has to be happening on a small enough scale for me to be ignorant of it.
-We have numerous members who regularly go out of their way to assist others in various areas of the game, almost universally with the "first come first serve" approach... which is about as far away from a "clique" system as I can imagine.
-Seeing new players turned away from our community for not being "one of us" would be the worst and most important expression of this concept there could be. But I just... don't feel like I've ever seen this? On the contrary it seems like new players are near-universally welcomed and given pointers on advancement or offers of help.

So I'm not going to go so far as to deny it's a problem. It could be that I play with too broad a swath of the playerbase to notice underlying cliques that are causing problems for others. But I do need to know more about it and what I can do to help.
erm, for the most part. yes.
others, well, not so much.
Could you be specific? It seems like it would benefit everyone. I guess at least PM a mod about what you mean if you won't post it?

I appreciate the clarification. I misunderstood your perspective.

I'm just unsure of how to go about putting the relevant information out there without posting it a million times for everyone who asks. If it were me who was new to the game or returning after a break, I'd want a one-stop-shop for all my questions. Hopping into a community to ask would be intimidating to me - it's like asking a question in a classroom vs asking a question in a clubroom.

I suppose I'll give it a few days and see how much of a necessity there is to begin with.

When I make those posts I always play with the first people to respond to my post.

I had started making it a point to play with people I didn't know and will probably continue to do so.

actually if you tell them that, they might think your crazy and let you out because if that. id say go for it.

and tell them your racist against the hive

GhaleonEB

Here are my thoughts on the TTK thread. Most of all, I think it's important that it stays consolidated in a single thread. I remember back when there were 2 threads going, and it was just a mess and a hassle. Most people stayed in the main thread, even when trying to form groups for raids and pvp.

I think the best decision is to post the TTK thread (minus the OT number) in Gaming and use it as the primary discussion thread. If it becomes problematic with haters, then we can always move it back to Gaming Community early or something. But I think it is pretty important that the TTK thread goes in the gaming section, not because people think of gaming as more exclusive, but because the game deserves it and it gives the community a better chance of growing.

I am sure there are a lot of people who might've been burnt by the year 1 content and may decide to return if they have a glance at all the changes that are coming with TTK. If the thread stays in gaming community, I don't think it will have the same amount of visibility the game deserves.
This is the right approach. A Taken King OT (not numbered) should be in the Gaming side, for dedicated general discussion. That can exist concurrently with the Community threads. Just as there are new threads for new news, there's new threads for new content releases.

Eventually what will happen will be what always happens in these situations: discussion will die down in the Take King OT and discussion will reconsolidate here.

phen0m24

We did Iron Wafer last night and while Nilla kinda did save me a spot, I did ask to be included and was online. Many of the other guys I hadn't run with before or often and we had fun. We won most of the time but did have a couple scrubby rounds.

I know the conversations can be clique-y but there is nothing clique-y about DJ or RAWR or mehrmantrout saying

COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT THE CHECKPOINT

which is open to all. Hawkian's noobie raids are open to all. "I'm at the boss if you need NF join on _____" are open to all. Posts by Koro, Ned, Doge (weeping) saying "Hey 1st timers with no Mercury visits post here" are open albeit console specific.

Sometimes people ask for clannies or such for specific trophies but I think that deserves a pass. While our conversation can be inside jokes sometimes or whatever else I think we're pretty dang open, but we can always do better.

Hi, I'm Glenn, I'm bad at PvP and I do moderate to decent imitations in party. I try not to be a boat anchor but unfortunately it seems to be my lot in life on occasion. :p

Exhibit 1a of the cliquey nature of this thread.
While I generally agree there are an awful lot of "lets group" posts that should probably just be PMs, this isn't one of them. Ocean originally put out an open call for anyone interested in his VoG raid. The post you quoted came a few pages after, and the people listed are the ones who replied to his open call for players and signed up.

Edit: This is Ocean's original post.

VoG days were dark. 29 is a number that makes the community shudder. Clearing Confluxes without level 30s in the team *nightmare*

Which brings me to an idea. Would it be possible to get together 5 other crazy guardians for a Throwback VoG? As in, let's make it hard again. Let's try to run Heroic at level 29. The Crucible drops a bunch of 26 Light blue armor pieces so it wouldn't be too hard to drop down to the required level. 3 blues and an Exotic = level 30 exactly. Leave a bubble open on one of those blues and bam, level 29.

A loadout of 300 attack weapons just isn't feasible so we'll still be a little better off that we were back in the day with full 365s, not to mention top tier stuff like Gjallarhorn and Fatebringer being in everyone's backpack now. But still.

Let's do VoG as 29s soon! Who would be interested?

Top Bottom