• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

rNilla

We did Iron Wafer last night and while Nilla kinda did save me a spot, I did ask to be included and was online. Many of the other guys I hadn't run with before or often and we had fun. We won most of the time but did have a couple scrubby rounds.

I know the conversations can be clique-y but there is nothing clique-y about DJ or RAWR or mehrmantrout saying

COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT THE CHECKPOINT

which is open to all. Hawkian's noobie raids are open to all. "I'm at the boss if you need NF join on _____" are open to all. Posts by Koro, Ned, Doge (weeping) saying "Hey 1st timers with no Mercury visits post here" are open albeit console specific.

Sometimes people ask for clannies or such for specific trophies but I think that deserves a pass. While our conversation can be inside jokes sometimes or whatever else I think we're pretty dang open, but we can always do better.

Hi, I'm Glenn, I'm bad at PvP and I do moderate to decent imitations in party. I try not to be a boat anchor but unfortunately it seems to be my lot in life on occasion. :p

I've always operated on a first come first serve basis with organizing groups. You and Nami asked to be included so I saved spots. Nami didn't show up so it was filled. Admittedly it can be hard to do sometimes because the thread can be fast and if you're on mobile it's almost impossible. Plus some people just join the fireteam or don't post a response in the thread.

I played with 4 people I hadn't played with before and it was spectacular. Then again, I hadn't played with anyone for 7 weeks.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Let's crack open the Vault of Glass and bring back some memories of how challenging it was, once upon a time. Let's get our worst armor and bring our level down, in true Vanilla fashion to a level 29 wipefest. Time: to be determined, but probably next week post Banana.

1. Ocean. The scrubbiest vet in the game.
2. Fig. Her back is strong, and she knows the Vault well...but the Vault knows her.
3. Hawk. This birdman will take a seat in the noob's seat for once and watch hobgoblins Sherpa his dead body into the darkness. A Hawkmoon might cry in the distance.
3. Rodiard. This man's insanity has been proven time and time again - Hawkifying, boarding hypenaughts, and using NLB.
4. Kalamari. I haven't played much with you, but bonds will be forged in the madness.
5. Nami. Your crazy needs no explanation.
6. Rayray. You won't steal my kills here, I won't allow it.

A few people were insane enough to show interest! EloquentM, Sentient - well 99% surely need alts with something "planned" this far in advance, so save your blues just in case.

Drizzay, we might need your calculator skills for minute details on under leveled Raid encounters. Stay tuned.

Nah, my Gjallarhorn suicide skills are unparalleled.

Advertising a closed activity with no room for anyone else serves no purpose in this thread. This is the kind of thing that you should handle through PM's or whatever else.

Namikaze1

Advertising a closed activity with no room for anyone else serves no purpose in this thread. This is the kind of thing that you should handle through PM's or whatever else.
It was not closed when he first posted it. He asked if there were anyone willing to do a #Forever29 raid earlier in the day. The spots filled up fast. Perhaps you missed it.

zewone

Exhibit 1a of the cliquey nature of this thread.

That's like 6 people and of those 6 people, maybe 3 or 4 would be considered "cliquey".

Just like any other MMO (since destiny is basically MMO-lite) people will have a "static" team for raids what just makes it easier to do them weekly without much trouble.

The beauty of Destiny unlike other MMOs I've played is that completing the raid doesn't lock you out for a week and you can help others.

I've seen plenty of people on that list raid and do other activities with people outside of their normal group.

This is the right approach. A Taken King OT (not numbered) should be in the Gaming side, for dedicated general discussion. That can exist concurrently with the Community threads. Just as there are new threads for new news, there's new threads for new content releases.

Eventually what will happen will be what always happens in these situations: discussion will die down in the Take King OT and discussion will reconsolidate here.

RG0BS1U.gif

alright folks, i wont derail the thread anymore.

I have a huge problem with this concept, and I wish you guys would be more specific. :-/

From my perspective in comparison to other communities I have been a part of (and this is a substantial list), this is rather seriously not a cliquey or exclusive community. People have certainly made friends and kept them here, which I don't yet see as a negative (though I could be missing something), but:

-It's too big to be cliquey in any meaningful, organized way. There are just too many damn people to be truly exclusionary. So I'm for the moment clinging to the hope that it just has to be happening on a small enough scale for me to be ignorant of it.
-We have numerous members who regularly go out of their way to assist others in various areas of the game, almost universally with the "first come first serve" approach... which is about as far away from a "clique" system as I can imagine.
-Seeing new players turned away from our community for not being "one of us" would be the worst and most important expression of this concept there could be. But I just... don't feel like I've ever seen this? On the contrary it seems like new players are near-universally welcomed and given pointers on advancement or offers of help.

So I'm not going to go so far as to deny it's a problem. It could be that I play with too broad a swath of the playerbase to notice underlying cliques that are causing problems for others. But I do need to know more about it and what I can do to help.

Could you be specific? It seems like it would benefit everyone. I guess at least PM a mod about what you mean if you won't post it?

Keeping in mind that this is the only Community I've been involved with on Gaf, I feel like the problem kind of comes from the most prominent posters all having their set group of friends. Not saying that they won't play with anyone else, but come TTK, a lot of them know who they are going in with.

Take myself, for example. I mentioned earlier that I've been playing since the Alpha. I've played with most people here on several occasions, including you a handful of times. (my PSN is cloud945076). Despite being here for the past 20-something OTs, I have no idea who I'm going to play TTK with. I'm going to have to post around, asking if anyone has room for one more because I'm not part of any particular circle. I personally, don't have a problem with it, but I can see how it can be pretty intimidating to anyone who is new.

I want to make sure that it's understood that I'm not saying anyone is purposefully exclusionary. However, from the outside in, in can seem a little "cliquey" as the individual posters who are more than willing to help out in the community can sometimes get drowned out.

Spoo

to be fair about the cliqueyness. we were treated like leppers on Neogaf for a good while.
Remember the post in Todds gaming side thread about HoPF. something along the lines of
"didn't we exile these guys to community so shit like this wouldn't happen"

just had each other for a long time. I welcome all our newcomers. buts it been a pretty tight nit family for a while. so forgive us for that, well try and do better

Just anecdotal, but in the few weeks since I've been reactivated and jumped into DGAF, I've made more friends on my friends list (about 3/4 of them I can actively rely on) than I have in the history of me being on PSN since PS3 days.

It might be cliquey, but the amount of people who have been willing to help a relative stranger has been pretty awesome, actually.

Someone remind me the URL for the twitch chat..I think I was invited to it back during E3, do I need to get another invite? If so my username is kreepmode. Thanks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I appreciate the clarification. I misunderstood your perspective.

I'm just unsure of how to go about putting the relevant information out there without posting it a million times for everyone who asks. If it were me who was new to the game or returning after a break, I'd want a one-stop-shop for all my questions. Hopping into a community to ask would be intimidating to me - it's like asking a question in a classroom vs asking a question in a clubroom.

I suppose I'll give it a few days and see how much of a necessity there is to begin with.
Well, as far as the ground-level information you're talking about, that sort of thing should be in the first post of an OT. With the way things are looking, that means both the Taken King OT and the OT here.

The idea that going into the community thread to ask for help would be more intimidating than what goes on in gaming side threads is where I get tripped up- I've been noticing behavior that paints the opposite picture since the single digit OT days.

But- setting the Taken King OT up as a "one-stop-shop for new and returning players" as you've suggested sounds like the best possible incarnation of such a thread to me. Necessary or not I think that would at least provide a tangible good.
This is the right approach. A Taken King OT (not numbered) should be in the Gaming side, for dedicated general discussion. That can exist concurrently with the Community threads. Just as there are new threads for new news, there's new threads for new content releases.

Eventually what will happen will be what always happens in these situations: discussion will die down in the Take King OT and discussion will reconsolidate here.
That's what I expected as the official forum position. Makes sense.

I really do hope that those who are staples here that do participate in the Taken King OT will put aside any imperfections our community/community threads may have and feel free to invite to these threads absolutely anyone taking an interest in playing the game on an ongoing basis.

If we don't feel that we can do that, then there is a large problem here that I was unaware of. And not for nothing but it also means that a huge amount of my own ongoing time and effort has been for nothing. :(

GutZ31

Uh, he posted without a full party, and edited as he filled the ranks.
The people that responded are now cliquey?

I am sure this could have been done through PSN, but I am failing to see the wrongdoing.

Tjamato88

Just anecdotal, but in the few weeks since I've been reactivated and jumped into DGAF, I've made more friends on my friends list (about 3/4 of them I can actively rely on) than I have in the history of me being on PSN since PS3 days.

It might be cliquey, but the amount of people who have been willing to help a relative stranger has been pretty awesome, actually.
Totally agreed.

I jumped in back in as a relatively new poster on GAF and I've been welcomed with open arms in the DGAF thread. No one has batted an eyelash at all my ridiculous n00b questions and people are always willing to jump into games and help me (thanks again Vict1m).

123rl

Scrub VoG sounds like fun. Make sure you record it.

Anyone on Xbox want to do a similar thing? Bring ourselves down to 32 and try and get through Crota

edit - 4:00 minute countdown!

ocean

Banned
Exhibit 1a of the cliquey nature of this thread.

I absolutely agree this thread can be too cliquey. I've been here since the pre-Alpha and have no regular groups for absolutely anything, and often feel like I'm outside looking in on much of the interactions.

You picked a terrible example though. I was not "advertising a closed activity" - I was LFG and put up a list with the first people who responded, and added the remaining ones as alts. The list started off blank and I edited people in as they answered.

I'm not saying this isn't an issue - it totally is. But don't try to frame me as the face of the vogue topic when, if anything, I'm in a better position than most of the old timers to understand how accidentally exclusionary many groups can be.

But as you wish...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Keeping in mind that this is the only Community I've been involved with on Gaf, I feel like the problem kind of comes from the most prominent posters all having their set group of friends. Not saying that they won't play with anyone else, but come TTK, a lot of them know who they are going in with. Take myself, for example. I mentioned earlier that I've been playing since the Alpha. I've played with most people here on several occasions, including you a handful of times. (my PSN is cloud945076). Despite being here for the past 20-something OTs, I have no idea who I'm going to play TTK with. I'm going to have to post around, asking if anyone has room for one more because I'm not part of any particular circle. I personally, don't have a problem with it, but I can see how it can be pretty intimidating to anyone who is new.
I don't, either, though... maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble perceiving the problem. :( Wanna play with me? I'm not part of any particular circle either!

I mean maybe my original raid group from the "let's try VoG Normal" days will get back together if the full group is accounted for... but even when I had such a group I was also playing with dozens of others, all the time...
Now this, I can't deny, pretty much makes my blood boil.

I didn't see anything- anything other than Ocean saying "let's do this, anyone in?" and then accepting all comers on a first come first serve basis and writing in funny descriptions about them after the fact.

How is this a "closed activity?" How would he have handled it through PMs before he knew who was attending?

Sometimes I feel like I'm on another planet when I read this stuff. :-/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I just want to thank you for this post and sharing your perspective. It has been a sobering and depressing afternoon.
Totally agreed.

I jumped in back in as a relatively new poster on GAF and I've been welcomed with open arms in the DGAF thread. No one has batted an eyelash at all my ridiculous n00b questions and people are always willing to jump into games and help me (thanks again Vict1m).
You too <3

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't, either, though... maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble perceiving the problem. :( Wanna play with me? I'm not part of any particular circle either!

I mean maybe my original raid group from the "let's try VoG Normal" days will get back together if the full group is accounted for... but even when I had such a group I was also playing with dozens of others, all the time...

Now this, I can't deny, pretty much makes my blood boil.

I didn't see anything- anything other than Ocean saying "let's do this, anyone in?" and then accepting all comers on a first come first serve basis and writing in funny descriptions about them after the fact.

How is this a "closed activity?" How would he have handled it through PMs before he knew who was attending?

Sometimes I feel like I'm on another planet when I read this stuff. :-/

The thread is moving fast and I missed his first post.

I absolutely agree this thread can be too cliquey. I've been here since the pre-Alpha and have no regular groups for absolutely anything, and often feel like I'm outside looking in on much of the interactions.

You picked a terrible example though. I was not "advertising a closed activity" - I was LFG and put up a list with the first people who responded, and added the remaining ones as alts. The list started off blank and I edited people in as they answered.

I'm not saying this isn't an issue - it totally is. But don't try to frame me as the face of the vogue topic when, if anything, I'm in a better position than most of the old timers to understand how accidentally exclusionary many groups can be.

But as you wish...

i think you put it really well right there, and it's not intentional, at least, i hope it's not, but some are more comfortable in company they know. *shrug*

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

But as you wish...

This thread is moving too fast and I missed your post, Ocean.

Top Bottom