• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC |OT| Electronic old men running the world. A new age.

So I had those stuttering issues and I got those fixed promptly. But now I'm getting flickering white dots on character models whenever I turn tesselation up. This never happened to me in the original release/missing link.

I'm not too pissed cause I got this cheap but I hope they get around to fixing it.

Shame about the Wii U price. Would've definitely been my first choice, steam sale for the PC version. Deus Ex seems perfect for the gamepad and I don't see it hitting Wii U again in the future. I'll get it when its cheap just to have a physical version of one of the best games of last generation.

So I had those stuttering issues and I got those fixed promptly. But now I'm getting flickering white dots on character models whenever I turn tesselation up. This never happened to me in the original release/missing link.

Those were a problem way back when the original was released, for a few weeks but it got fixed. I really wonder why it's regressed back to stuttering and a graphics bug that was fixed within the first few weeks of release...

Porcile

Not sure it looks worse, but the lighting is definitely softer overall which has it plus and negative points I guess.

After looking through the screenshots again, the only one I really see a major difference on is the Pritchard one -- which makes me think something else is up with that shot. Seems really odd.

I'm in for 5 on PC, this game is a classic for me. Dat Blade Runner feeling.

Not sure on the graphical comparison, it could be different settings.

televator

I hope it's just a matter of people overreacting. I traded in my original console copy in anticipation for this.

Also, I just realized... Am I gonna need a PS Vita to get the full experience on this?

Cystm

I hope it's just a matter of people overreacting. I traded in my original console copy in anticipation for this.

Also, I just realized... Am I gonna need a PS Vita to get the full experience on this?

Full experience? not really. you won't be getting the second screen features, but the game was originally designed without them and are sufficient without the second screen.

Kunohara

Any reason why my mouse just completely stops moving once I turn of Vsync in-game? It is the weirdest thing. It's almost like it is jumping around and when I try to move it, it just goes all erratic and whatnot. I was barely able to move it enough to turn it back on, and it was fine then.

Edit: Great, I found the reason why. Apparently if you update to Windows 8.1, it fucks up your mouse in alot of games. Awesome.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Director's Cut looks much worse. The new lighting engine must handle things differently that even if it's technically more complex it doesn't work as well in practice against the old build.

The most obvious sign of the Director's Cut is the rim lightning. Character models now have rim lighting relative to light sources. You can see it around Pritchard jeans, as well as those other comparison pics, particularly the dudes standing looking through the glass windows. They're flat lit in the original build, but there's a highlight in the director's cut.

All the colours and tones seem changed, otherwise, and for the worse :/.

pa22word

And it's completely consistent with the imgur gallery from a different poster who also said the top images were from the original version.

No it isn't, it's completely opposite of those shots as the shots you posted aligned a highlighted yellow filter in the DC shots vs no filter in the original shots, which is also completely opposite of what's actually in the game.

Edit: lol I actually just stumbled upon that scene in the game and the scene looks like that because of the yellow lights that are on his desk are actually giving off real light. It looks fine in game.
Director's Cut looks much worse. The new lighting engine must handle things differently that even if it's technically more complex it doesn't work as well in practice against the old build.

The most obvious sign of the Director's Cut is the rim lightning. Character models now have rim lighting relative to light sources. You can see it around Pritchard jeans, as well as those other comparison pics, particularly the dudes standing looking through the glass windows. They're flat lit in the original build, but there's a highlight in the director's cut.

All the colours and tones seem changed, otherwise, and for the worse :/.

I can't agree with this post at all. I think the game looks so much better than the original release I can't stand to even think about playing it with that nasty piss tint filter ever again. It's actually kind of shocking to see people say it's changed for the worse considering how much shit the game got on release because of how overbearing the filter was, originally.

ASIS

aww man I was gonna get this game and experience it for the first time. I suppose vanilla is the way to go?

aww man I was gonna get this game and experience it for the first time. I suppose vanilla is the way to go?

What makes you want to go vanilla? The graphics changes? Honestly, they look rather minor to me (although I seem to like the original better, based off those screenshots). However, that's said with the big disclaimer that I (and most of us in this thread) haven't actually tried the DC yet. If this is your first time playing the game, I still think DC will be the way to go, because of the improved boss fights, rebalanced energy system, integrated DLC, and NG+.

Edit: lol I actually just stumbled upon that scene in the game and the scene looks like that because of the yellow lights that are on his desk are actually giving off real light. It looks fine in game.

Yeah, I think most of us are overreacting from that one screenshot in Pritchard's office. Let's wait until more people actually try it out before we condemn how it looks in action. =\ All the videos I've seen of it have looked fine.

*will hopefully have time later tonight or tomorrow to start playing*

Shaanyboi

Banned
Any WiiU impressions, visually? That was Straight Right's priority for a while before the other ports were announced. Was wondering if that showed..;

The original Human Revolution was my game of the year for 2011, and I don't even like FPSes. I'd love to check this out on the Wii U, but I can't justify buying it again for as little as they've added to the overall package. Still, this game deserves to be played by as many people as possible and I'm sad that the Wii U version is going to be an inevitable sales disaster, because it deserves better.

Reese-015

No it isn't, it's completely opposite of those shots as the shots you posted aligned a highlighted yellow filter in the DC shots vs no filter in the original shots, which is also completely opposite of what's actually in the game.

No idea what you're seeing here, all the aspects like softer contrast, less strong yellows, more saturated blues and reds, more subtle lighting are all apparent in the Director's Cut shots posted as the bottom one in my original post, the Steam forums poster's original post and the imgur gallery, it is clear as day.

Well it is somewhat subjective, differences are subtle. However, a large part of the PC gaming audience that would be interested in a paid upgrade to a game would be very interested in how exactly the graphics are improved. If it's debatable whether the changes are improvements at all (and many are already complaining that they feel they aren't), that's a legitimate issue for the Director's Cut.

pa22word

No idea what you're seeing here, all the aspects like softer contrast, less strong yellows, more saturated blues and reds, more subtle lighting are all apparent in the Director's Cut shots posted as the bottom one in my original post, the Steam forums poster's original post and the imgur gallery, it is clear as day.

I edited my post, you know.

If it's debatable whether the changes are improvements at all (and many are already complaining that they feel they aren't), that's a legitimate issue for the Director's Cut

Well when the differences really boil down to a more accurate lighting system and no more overbearing yellow filter over virtually everything for the sake of it I find it really hard to sympathize with people who don't like how the game looks now. But I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing to implement an option to reimplement the yellow filter for the people who liked it.

Reese-015

I edited my post, you know.

Yeah I updated mine too. And even though I referred to the changes as 'subtle', keep in mind that that's subjective too and it's unlikely to be invisible when you see the game in action as you suggest. To me and to the type of person who loves to tweak and fine-tune things with for example SweetFX, these differences are pretty significant. I myself for example understand some people's gripes with the original's 'piss filter', but at the same time I really felt the original had a very fine-tuned look that is not easy to achieve and I actually saw this screw-up coming. Hearing about all the outsourcing of the porting and the supposed 'lighting system' overhauls, I wasn't too optimistic about whether the look was going to be improved. I hoped that perhaps it was going to be better shadowing and higher quality shaders but instead they altered the style of the visuals in a way that doesn't jive with me.

alf717

I upgraded for $5 and was thinking of gifting a copy and it gives me the $5 price tag. Is this a mistake?

ASIS

What makes you want to go vanilla? The graphics changes? Honestly, they look rather minor to me (although I seem to like the original better, based off those screenshots). However, that's said with the big disclaimer that I (and most of us in this thread) haven't actually tried the DC yet. If this is your first time playing the game, I still think DC will be the way to go, because of the improved boss fights, rebalanced energy system, integrated DLC, and NG+.

Not the graphics being worse, but the performance being worse, as in stuttering. I'm going to be shelling out either $30 or $50 depending on the version I'll get, and vanilla is much cheaper these days. I'm just not sure if this is right way to go.

I'll wait for more impressions before I decide, but i'm quite disappointed if these posts actually hold up.

Not the graphics being worse, but the performance being worse, as in stuttering. I'm going to be shelling out either $30 or $50 depending on the version I'll get, and vanilla is much cheaper these days. I'm just not sure if this is right way to go.

I'll wait for more impressions before I decide, but i'm quite disappointed if these posts actually hold up.
Going by the prices listed you're talking about the console version then? There aren't really impressions to speak of on that one as of yet.

pa22word

Yeah I updated mine too. And even though I referred to the changes as 'subtle', keep in mind that that's subjective too and it's unlikely to be invisible when you see the game in action as you suggest. To me and to the type of person who loves to tweak and fine-tune things with for example SweetFX, these differences are pretty significant. I myself for example understand some people's gripes with the original's 'piss filter', but at the same time I really felt the original had a very fine-tuned look that is not easy to achieve and I actually saw this screw-up coming. Hearing about all the outsourcing of the porting and the supposed 'lighting system' overhauls, I wasn't too optimistic about whether the look was going to be improved. I hoped that perhaps it was going to be better shadowing and higher quality shaders but instead they altered the style of the visuals in a way that doesn't jive with me.

I didn't say it was invisible, I said it looked fine as you can see as you move through the environment that the section looks like that because of the yellow light radiating from the 4 lamps in close proximity to Pritchard are illuminating him in a way that makes him look...yellowish. I've uploaded some shots that display what I'm talking about with the way the new lighting system works:

2048x1152.resizedimage

You can see how the lamp is acting as a light source in this shot because you can see the yellow light radiating from it bleeding through the red tinted window.

Here's the Pritchard shot from afar to demonstrate what I was talking about with the lamps:

2048x1152.resizedimage

And here's his room while standing at different spots, demonstrating how where you're standing in relation to a light source can impact the room's illumination, and thus how when you're looking at a still screen shot vs actually playing the game this can give a false impression that the game looks poor with the new lighting system:

2048x1152.resizedimage

2048x1152.resizedimage

Also, the ailasing in these shots look awful, but it's not nearly as bad when I'm playing it because I'm downsampling the shots from 2560x1440 to a 1920x1080 screen for ~1.75x SSAA. Also they look even worse because steam seems to be resizing them again to 2048x1152 for whatever reason. I tried ablod with FRAPS shots, but Ablod's hasn't been working for me lately at all so =\

Tesseract

Banned
yeah dude, that shit looks like monkey poop.

*edit* now i don't know what to believe. i'm just gonna throw down the 5 dollars and see for myself.

Reese-015

Whether or not yellow light sources are around or not isn't the point though, the light sources are there in the original as well and the original looks significantly better to me.

As someone said earlier, perhaps the lighting is 'better' in a technical sense, that doesn't mean it's applied in a way that fits the game's visual style better.

This combined with performance issues on day one... Man. It really does not make it a product I wanna buy. Not even for the $5. Improved graphics is the only thing that really interested me since PC hardware has evolved quite a bit and not only are those improvements arguably not improvements at all but performance also got worse.

pa22word

yeah dude, that shit looks like monkey poop.

Blame AMD for not properly implementing (S/O)GSSAA at the driver level yet...and steam screen shots for being so supercomressed. That's why the shots show up as 2560x1440 with loads of aliasing when I'm actually playing it with not so much aliasing. Also the reason I'm playing it this way is because I despise post processing AA, lol. But IQ isn't why you're looking at those shots, it's the demonstration of the the lighting system.

jmizzal

The original Human Revolution was my game of the year for 2011, and I don't even like FPSes. I'd love to check this out on the Wii U, but I can't justify buying it again for as little as they've added to the overall package. Still, this game deserves to be played by as many people as possible and I'm sad that the Wii U version is going to be an inevitable sales disaster, because it deserves better.

Same here but I will buy it later on WiiU

jediyoshi

Blame AMD for not properly implementing (S/O)GSSAA at the driver level yet...and steam screen shots for being so supercomressed. That's why the shots show up as 2560x1440 with loads of aliasing when I'm actually playing it with not so much aliasing. Also the reason I'm playing it this way is because I despise post processing AA, lol. But IQ isn't why you're looking at those shots, it's the demonstration of the the lighting system.

You can specify a directory for Steam to save uncompressed copies of screenshots to in its settings.

I have no idea what to think of the new lighting engine. Can't say if it looks better or worse, just different.
Reading about performance issues is also a bummer.

Don't know if I want this game now.

Alright, I took some comparison shots of the Sarif building and Detroit. Identical settings on both games, tessellation off but everything else maxed.

Vanilla is on the left, Director's Cut on the right.

I took a shot of that Final Fantasy poster because it's the one thing that stood out to me. In my mind's eye the game looks identical to how I remember it, obviously direct comparisons show that not to be the case; but I always remembered the lighting on the top right fold of that poster obscuring it like that, while it's not in the DC.

Schnozberry

I picked up the Wii U version since I had the extra cash. I'll be back with some impressions, but it'll be a new experience for me since I didn't play the original.

pa22word

Alright, I took some comparison shots of the Sarif building and Detroit. Identical settings on both games, tessellation off but everything else maxed.

Yeah, I don't see how people say the original is better as far as the lighting goes looking at these. In the original it just looks like they applied bloom to all the light sources where you would expect real light to come from + lit up select other places as well (you can see it on the FF poster as well as the Sarif sign in the OG version), while in the DC they're using real illumination on the light sources and cutting out the bloom.

Oublieux

I played an hour or so of this last night as it released in the afternoon for me. And, despite it being somewhat subtle, the first thing I noticed was that the lighting was less orange/yellow. I knew the new lighting engine was at play, but I have to say... I was a little dismayed and prefer the original stark contrasts and lit environments. I felt the orange/yellow tint lent the game a distinct science fiction vibe. It was purposely stylistic and a bit over the top, definitely, but it suited the game.

It's not barring me from playing the game though as it still retains its fun factor.

Thanks to all those who posted shots. Perhaps I just don't have an eye for that kind of thing, but for the most part I don't notice much of a difference at all (beyond one or two shots).

Dueck

Banned
A company decides to give the Wii U players a new game, but they jack up the price by $20. I could see if it was some massive leap forward, like the difference in versions between games that were on PS2 and PS3, but it's clearly not. I bought it for Xbox 360, so $30 is fine by me, I just can't help but feel the publisher is sabotaging itself here with the Wii U sales of its software though...

SparkTR

I played an hour or so of this last night as it released in the afternoon for me. And, despite it being somewhat subtle, the first thing I noticed was that the lighting was less orange/yellow. I knew the new lighting engine was at play, but I have to say... I was a little dismayed and prefer the original stark contrasts and lit environments. I felt the orange/yellow tint lent the game a distinct science fiction vibe. It was purposely stylistic and a bit over the top, definitely, but it suited the game.

It's not barring me from playing the game though as it still retains its fun factor.

I don't know, I'm kind of liking what I'm seeing without it, it reminds me more of Deus Ex 1 which never had any of those filters. It is a big stylistic change though, and it helped mask the bad visuals in a way, but the original is still there.

Reading through the comments, I'm noticed kind of a Wind Waker-esque cheflop going on here. When DXHR came out, all the comments were about the "piss filter", not that it's been adjusted everyone wants it back :\.

I'm DLing right now, hope I get decent performance. Nixxes did such a great port on the original, I could play at 1600x900 w/ most settings cranked up to high (no AA) and get almost constant 30fps on a radeonhd 5700m.

With the adjustments to the lighting in Missing Link, I need to crank the res down to 720 to get close to constant 30fps.

Worried I'm gonna have to lower even more settings in this version :(

SlickVic

Man the talk about the DC really has me interested in going back to this. I must've gotten about 60-65% through the game when it first came out before stopping. I enjoyed the game (and the atmosphere was amazing) but I think I was so obsessively trying to play the game as stealthily as possible that I wound up making the game too slow for myself and I just lost interest. Guess I've just lost patience for that sort of thing these days. I'm kinda interested in starting a fresh save now and perhaps playing through a bit less stealthily and seeing if I enjoy it more.

Seems like no matter what i turn on or off my game hovers around 50 fps. And the aliasing is terrible. The only options to fix it are the even worse blur AA options.

Tesseract

Banned

I took a shot of that Final Fantasy poster because it's the one thing that stood out to me. In my mind's eye the game looks identical to how I remember it, obviously direct comparisons show that not to be the case; but I always remembered the lighting on the top right fold of that poster obscuring it like that, while it's not in the DC.

thanks dude, here's a gif to complement your shots:

(click to open in new window)

Glass Joe

I downloaded the Wii U version to an external drive. I haven't noticed any major framerate problems while in game, but the pre-rendered cut scenes are kinda choppy. Not sure if that is due to the hard drive streaming -- maybe the disc version doesn't suffer, and maybe it won't if it's preloaded to the 32 gig internal. But it reminds me of Zombi U in that regard. I don't get why simple videos like that would be an issue but I've seen that happen before.

Otherwise it seems to be playing quite well (please note I never played the original for comparison). Graphics are alright and the gamepad features appear to be quite useful actually.

Schnozberry

I downloaded the Wii U version to an external drive. I haven't noticed any major framerate problems while in game, but the pre-rendered cut scenes are kinda choppy. Not sure if that is due to the hard drive streaming -- maybe the disc version doesn't suffer, and maybe it won't if it's preloaded to the 32 gig internal. But it reminds me of Zombi U in that regard. I don't get why simple videos like that would be an issue but I've seen that happen before.

Otherwise it seems to be playing quite well (please note I never played the original for comparison). Graphics are alright and the gamepad features appear to be quite useful actually.

What kind of hard drive do you have? Haven't noticed any issues with my cutscenes.

Initially, I thought I wouldn't like the new lighting, but I actually don't mind. This from a person who loved the original tinting.

Almighty

Thanks for posting this. Based on those pics I like the new lighting. The removal of the yellow filter is also a big plus in my book. Will reserve further judgement until I play the DC(knee deep in the Batman Arkham games right now).

Top Bottom