• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC |OT| Electronic old men running the world. A new age.

Do I really need to? Sounds like something they should be fixing with a patch post haste.

I wouldn't count on it. The original game STILL stutters for a ton of people without registry tweaks. I wouldn't be surprised if they never bother fixing it on the Director's Cut either.

sfried

I downloaded the Wii U version to an external drive. I haven't noticed any major framerate problems while in game, but the pre-rendered cut scenes are kinda choppy. Not sure if that is due to the hard drive streaming -- maybe the disc version doesn't suffer, and maybe it won't if it's preloaded to the 32 gig internal. But it reminds me of Zombi U in that regard. I don't get why simple videos like that would be an issue but I've seen that happen before.

Otherwise it seems to be playing quite well (please note I never played the original for comparison). Graphics are alright and the gamepad features appear to be quite useful actually.
I have the disk version from Amazon (which arrived surprisingly quicl for Super Saver Shipping. Saved $10 off the Wii U version in the end), and I have to report the same thing also happen with the video being choppy in some spots, but for you not to encounter any major frame dips means that the download version must be the superior version. One thing I really noticed, though, is how some of the textures look really good. It's too bad the animation isn't mo-capped, as its the only janky thing that looks off for the entire game.

Can anyone with this on PS3 describe how the Vita-based features work? Is it cross-controller based? Or will my Vita basically be sitting around on my desk serving as the minimap?

sfried

Any WiiU impressions, visually? That was Straight Right's priority for a while before the other ports were announced. Was wondering if that showed..;
From my experience so far, the texture work is pretty fantastic. You can see on my other post where you can see the fabric detail on Jensens clothes. That applies to all the other characters too. Also think that having a different lighting style definitely makes things look much sharper.

That said, I was hoping Stright Right would know how to handle WiiU optimization better. Don't get me wrong though: All the effects are in, and there aren't an huge choppy framedrops to speak off, but was hoping they could at least spent the time optimizing the code to make it buttery smooth. I find it odd that that Main Menu appears to have framedrops when there's no game running, but runs smoother when in a middle of a game. So far, I noticed this choppy video too in the Behind the Scenes film reel, but I dunno if it can be something that could be quickly patched.

Kainazzo

Thanks for posting this. Based on those pics I like the new lighting. The removal of the yellow filter is also a big plus in my book. Will reserve further judgement until I play the DC(knee deep in the Batman Arkham games right now).

I'm liking it better without the filter too. Funny you should say that with a New Vegas avatar; removing the yellow tint (and the green in FO3) were the first things I did :p

Edit: I'd forgotten how low-res some of these textures are, at least at 1200p 0_o

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Huh, I see someone on Miiverse saying the Wii U version still has achievements and posts them to your activity feed on Miiverse. Neat if so.

sfried

Huh, I see someone on Miiverse saying the Wii U version still has achievements and posts them to your activity feed on Miiverse. Neat if so.

Bob Page: "Yes"

It also posts on the MiiVerse for you automatically when you get an Achievement.

Already posted an infolog on the first mission, though have yet to encounter other people's infologs.

Almighty

I'm liking it better without the filter too. Funny you should say that with a New Vegas avatar; removing the yellow tint (and the green in FO3) were the first things I did :p

Removing the green tint in Fallout 3 was necessary in my book. I am pretty sure that was one of the first mods I got for 3. I don't remember New Vegas being as bad, but to be fair I modded the crap out of that game so it is possible one of the many graphics mods removed it or toned it down and I didn't know.

Schnozberry

Wii U digital version here. Download was 14GB. Game runs fairly smooth during gameplay on the big screen. I'd say 30fps pretty much all the time aside from a dip here and there during busier scenes. Off TV play is fantastic. Texture and Lighting work is nice, and I like the ease of access to information on the gamepad while playing on the television. This is my first run through the game. I like the world an nd the story thus far. Will dig into it more tomorrow.

SpiderCrab

Neo Member
That said, I was hoping Stright Right would know how to handle WiiU optimization better. Don't get me wrong though: All the effects are in, and there aren't an huge choppy framedrops to speak off, but was hoping they could at least spent the time optimizing the code to make it buttery smooth.

Its hard to tell just by looking at it, but WiiU version has had many man months of CPU optimisation put into it already. It generally holds its own, but those 3 cores are busting at the seams when there are tons of background streaming, decompression, entity processing, animation, AI, and new scaleform scenes popping up.

pa22word

Its hard to tell just by looking at it, but WiiU version has had many man months of CPU optimisation put into it already. It generally holds its own, but those 3 cores are busting at the seams when there are tons of background streaming, decompression, entity processing, animation, AI, and new scaleform scenes popping up.

Did you work on the project? If so, hats off to you. I can't even imagine how much of a pain in the ass it was trying to rejigger everything to work on the Wii U's CPU. Based on the dev commentary in HR the overall game sounds like it's held together with duct tape as is due to the engine they used throwing up roadblocks at virtually every stop.

Nemesis_

Did you work on the project? If so, hats off to you. I can't even imagine how much of a pain in the ass it was trying to rejigger everything to work on the Wii U's CPU. Based on the dev commentary in HR the overall game sounds like it's held together with duct tape as is due to the engine they used throwing up roadblocks at virtually every stop.

Yeah, I really enjoy how candid and upfront they are in the commentary.

sfried

Yeah, the part about the sanitation airlocks used as loading screens and how they didn't want to pull this kind of cheap trick. That said, I missed the commentary about the engine as I've only activated it towards the beginning of the first mission and not the very beginning.
I can somewhat tell. The Wii U version doesn't tone down any textures and whatnot, and on top of that there's a strategy guide also being rendered onto the second screen that seems to be its own app. I also noticed it's using the new Autodesk Gameware that recently got licensed for Wii U. Add on top of that the MiiVerse functionality and I can see they didn't skimp out on features.

Is there a proper AA solution this time?
Can't wait for the EU release.

No it uses the exact same AA solutions as before. Edge, low/medium/high FXAA, and MLAA. I'm hoping someone jumps in here and helps us with a control panel based solution that gives us real AA.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Has anybody tried ENB with the new build?

No it uses the exact same AA solutions as before. Edge, low/medium/high FXAA, and MLAA. I'm hoping someone jumps in here and helps us with a control panel based solution that gives us real AA.

If you play in DX9 mode you can use SGSSAA but as always it comes with a fairly big performance hit.

Miguel81

Yeah, the part about the sanitation airlocks used as loading screens and how they didn't want to pull this kind of cheap trick. That said, I missed the commentary about the engine as I've only activated it towards the beginning of the first mission and not the very beginning.

I can somewhat tell. The Wii U version doesn't tone down any textures and whatnot, and on top of that there's a strategy guide also being rendered onto the second screen that seems to be its own app. I also noticed it's using the new Autodesk Gameware that recently got licensed for Wii U. Add on top of that the MiiVerse functionality and I can see they didn't skimp out on features.

So, it's still pretty much the definitive version?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hmm, I'm really tempted to buy the Wii U version (it will be 29.99 on UK eshop) hearing these impressions.

It's really easy, you don't like it, don't buy it.

merrick97

Banned
I posted this another Deus Ex thread, but I intended to post it in this one.

A common question being asked is if you can re-earn achievements or trophies?

Here is the answer:

On the PS3 version you CAN get a whole new platinum even if you have gotten the platinum for the original version.

For the 360 version you CANNOT.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/719088-deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut/67577198

Just something to consider for trophy/achievements hunters.

Lunaniem

I posted this another Deus Ex thread, but I intended to post it in this one.

A common question being asked is if you can re-earn achievements or trophies?

Here is the answer:

On the PS3 version you CAN get a whole new platinum even if you have gotten the platinum for the original version.

For the 360 version you CANNOT.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/719088-deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut/67577198

Just something to consider for trophy/achievements hunters.

Weird how the 360 version is the only one without a separate achievement list.

sfried

So, it's still pretty much the definitive version?
Yeah, there's no denying it was built for the WiiU, and the experience is quite something. Just tinkering around, and having the eBooks and pocket secretaries on the pad which you can scroll with just your finger...and man, the hacking really feels alot more fun.

pahamrick

Was able to pick this up thanks to selling some cards. Quick impressions since I'm posting from my mobile.

Despite how the screenshots looked, I really like the new lighting system. Hated the piss filter but trying to use ENB on the original tanked my framerate. Speaking of framerate, after doing the registery fixes I'm getting a rock solid 60fps on DX11 with everything maxed at 1080p.

So far my only real negative are the prerendered scenes. They're still shit quality wise, and so jarring when you cut back and forth because you get the super dark yellow tinted prerendered scene then the more naturally lit game, causes a bit of a disconnect.

Miguel81

Yeah, there's no denying it was built for the WiiU, and the experience is quite something. Just tinkering around, and having the eBooks and pocket secretaries on the pad which you can scroll with just your finger...and man, the hacking really feels alot more fun.

That's good to know, it seems like the game is a natural fit for the WiiU gamepad. Are the pre-rendered cutscenes and audio of good quality?

sfried

That's good to know, it seems like the game is a natural fit for the WiiU gamepad. Are the pre-rendered cutscenes and audio of good quality?
With the exception of maybe the opening credits, the prerendered stuff is pretty hi-res. I was fooled once into thinking it was actually being rendered in real-time. The only giveaway was the lighting and the tint used in the custcenes.

dankir

So just to clarify, there's no version I can download for my copy of the original DX: HR on 360 that will just add the updates for a price of course?

I have to buy it new on the 360?

Cystm

Any footage of the vita functionality?

This is what is out there so far.

I was impressed to see the PS Vita and even an iPad wirelessly rocking out the game in much the same way that the Wii U’s Gamepad does. Using the PS Vita as a controller took some getting used to, but the game played exactly as expected and it’s a cool option for PS3 and Vita owners.

Nothing on the official DX websites other than logos. Nothing on any game review website other than, "Oh and it also functions with the Vita."

Cystm

Fuck this phone.

I'll use this DP to let you know I made a few more Steam grid view icons.

igWZLs6ZChWWQ.png
iCWFIaYyoqtuL.png
iS7fLQrpzhAHj.png

ikdTTcA7NxOgT.png
imIq5ynMgd95g.png
ibbWDofDOUYvM6.png

ijNbqVecI287x.png
iRBlIyeRFLYrR.png
iiaeDZi2nRl83.png

ibjiMGWtzTi2bD.png
ibkaDQPwETqVZm.png
iMUa4VSa8rb7B.png

ihxhi3AWpRJsC.png
iZ64VEg5xDegC.png
ihxhi3AWpRJsC.png

I don't NEED to use my ipad do I?

Sorry if this has been answered, having trouble browsing from my phone.

Also, I had originally planned on doing a hard run, then a run where I didn't kill anybody in the original release. Can I do the same here, but will it be easier with new game plus?

Since the achievements are the same, the saves aren't, are they? I know it's a long shot, but I have about 3 hours played in the original. I don't mind starting over but it would be dope if I didn't have to.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't NEED to use my ipad do I?

Sorry if this has been answered, having trouble browsing from my phone.

Also, I had originally planned on doing a hard run, then a run where I didn't kill anybody in the original release. Can I do the same here, but will it be easier with new game plus?

no

Glass Joe

What kind of hard drive do you have? Haven't noticed any issues with my cutscenes.

Toshiba 1TB I think? It was one of the first officially listed supported ones. Never really had issues with my other games, so I don't know if it's a streaming issue, game issue, or my Wii U. Some scenes are less obvious than others, but the camera pans are choppy especially in the intro cut scene.

I already own the original on my Mac and it runs with everything full there, but tbh I got to the first boss, died a bunch of times and never went back to it.

I'm wondering if it would be worth going back to; the U is my favourite system to game on, and the rebalances and new gimmicks might be enough to get me going again.

First poor thing to report about the PS3 version's port (unrelated to Vita)

The rifle shots are now super compressed. Like they didn't QA the shit. Needs to be patched :(

Top Bottom