• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC |OT| Electronic old men running the world. A new age.

Just picked this up today and confirmed there is a Dual Screen mode embedded in natively with PS3 version of Human Revolution
I'm still testing it right now but it looks like this is effectively the Wii U setup ported to Vita!

More impressions to follow and let me know if you want pics...

Why this wasn't advertised AT ALL is beyond me.

UPDATE:

So basically as stated before, this is an implementation of the Wii U pad, with more or less everything intact, sans things like Gyro aiming.
Posted the controller mapping below, so you can see how that works. There are no alternate control schemes. You actually launch remote play by starting it on the Vita, waiting for it to sync and then hitting start at the initial game splash screen, NOT the actual menu. In order to switch back to the DualShock3, you have to quit the game entirely, so no hot swapping.
The display on the Vita is obviously smaller so you sort of have to squint more, but the it looks like more or less the same as the Wii U's. Now during gameplay, the off-screen display ratio is stretched (Keypads, map, etc.), which is definitely a bummer because obviously it fits on the Wii U's, so they didn't bother to redo the art.
Response time between stick movement to reaction seems nearly 1:1, which is impressive all things considered.
All the pitch and zoom stuff is intact.

vsL6zBg.jpg

tRVjjeI.jpg

DHEjw9z.jpg

ffg1puZ.jpg

KoPu41M.jpg

fW0buuY.jpg

Ie4DpWE.jpg

CkYC73R.jpg

4eogX9J.jpg

LttQCU7.jpg

Now some technical observations from the port itself:

- Weapon sounds are now compressed, WTF!?
- Not a fan of the new lighting
- SSAO seems dialed back
- Framerate feels slightly worse, but I think this is when you're utilizing DualScreen mode

Hoping the developers read GAF and at least have a patch to fix the sound. Other than that, I'm pretty pumped to experience the game this way. The now default addition of two energy nodes changes the gameplay pretty quickly (less down time, more options) and actual in-game dev commentary ala Riddick or Half Life series is fucking awesome

CHC

So I just got a few minutes with the Director's Cut on PC. I'm an avid player of the original so I'm pretty confident in spotting differences and I have to say anyone who's hating on the new lighting is full of it. The game looks much crisper and cleaner and most importantly the neutrals (grey / black / white) are true and not yellow tinged. It feels much like it should have, the LIGHTING feels yellow / gold, but the tint of color covering the screen is now gone. Additionally it could just be my new monitor, but the compression on the cutscenes looks marginally less obvious and their gamma / brightness now matches that of the main game more seamlessly. That said they still leave a lot to be desired in terms of image quality.

Also, I am playing on a single GTX780 at 1600p and have experienced no FPS drops or stuttering. It also feels smoother because they seem to have gotten rid of the "granular" mouse (in the original the reticle moved in obvious "units" or "clicks" instead of at a pixel-by-pixel rate, and it was really quite distracting).

Easily worth $5 more....

So I just got a few minutes with the Director's Cut on PC. I'm an avid player of the original so I'm pretty confident in spotting differences and I have to say anyone who's hating on the new lighting is full of it. The game looks much crisper and cleaner and most importantly the neutrals (grey / black / white) are true and not yellow tinged. It feels much like it should have, the LIGHTING feels yellow / gold, but the tint of color covering the screen is now gone. Additionally it could just be my new monitor, but the compression on the cutscenes looks marginally less obvious and their gamma / brightness now matches that of the main game more seamlessly. That said they still leave a lot to be desired in terms of image quality.

Also, I am playing on a single GTX780 at 1600p and have experienced no FPS drops or stuttering. It also feels smoother because they seem to have gotten rid of the "granular" mouse (in the original the reticle moved in obvious "units" or "clicks" instead of at a pixel-by-pixel rate, and it was really quite distracting).

Easily worth $5 more....

Were your gunshots compressed now?

Cystm

Just picked this up today and confirmed there is a Dual Screen mode embedded in natively with PS3 version of Human Revolution
I'm still testing it right now but it looks like this is effectively the Wii U setup ported to Vita!

...Snip

I added a link to your thread in the OP. Thank you for sharing your findings,

sfried

Just wondering to the person who has the PS3 version: Does it still have the "Make and leave infologs like Demon Souls" feature or did they take that out? In the Wii U version, it uploads the logs to the MiiVerse, and in fact there's quite a lot of MiiVerse functionality integrated within the game too.

alf717

So on PS3 you can play on the whole game off-screen on Vita?

I'm really enjoying my PC upgrade. Just got to Hengsha. I haven't been bothered with the lighting. I think it looks nice. Game runs fine on my rig but does chug when loading up new areas or a quick save.

Just wondering to the person who has the PS3 version: Does it still have the "Make and leave infologs like Demon Souls" feature or did they take that out? In the Wii U version, it uploads the logs to the MiiVerse, and in fact there's quite a lot of MiiVerse functionality integrated within the game too.

I didn't spot this feature. Wouldn't be surprised it's Miiverse only

So on PS3 you can play on the whole game off-screen on Vita?

No, just the UI based enhancements.

Xellos

Been playing the Wii U version for a bit. Not too far, just past the introduction and halfway through the opening mission. The port seems really good; looks nice and holds 30fps most of the time, with some minor dips here and there. Gamepad integration is extensive and well implemented. Seems like a great job by Straight Right so far.

The Vita support is a bit "Eh" in some spots, namely the inventory and augmentations screen. Could do with some streamlining to make it feel more like other touchscreen based menus. Namely I'd love to move an item simply by dragging it. Instead I have to tap it, tap another button, tap the spot I want to move it to, and then tap another button.

Also, emails and ebooks can't use the touchscreen for some reason. Have to use the back-pad for those menus, which is a bit of a shame IMO. On the back-pad note, be careful, or you'll be like me and throw grenades accidentally.

PS: Hey, how do you detonate remote-explosives?

Ledsen

The OP is completely borked in neogaf mobile, I can't read it. This is why ot's that use pictures instead of text are a bad idea. Function over form please.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
OP doesn't work on mobile GAF (pics-based OTs are a baaaad idea my friend, functionality should always come on top), how do I go about upgrading my non-DC edition on Steam?
Is performance better than vanilla (DX11 was kinda borked)?

Cystm

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut Mobile friendly |OT| I never asked for this flip phone.

Listen to the soundtrack while viewing, if you like.
Be sure to check out Abunai's fantastic original DX:HR |OT|

Release date:
October 22, 2013

Platforms
  • Mac
  • Xbox 360
  • PlayStation 3
  • PlayStation Network (PS3)
  • PC
  • Wii U

Developers
  • Straight Right
  • Eidos Studios Montreal
  • Snowed In Studios

Publisher
Square Enix

Wii U Features
This version of the game has been significantly enhanced with system-specific features such as dedicated Miiverse Integration and a Neural Hub on the GamePad that allows for touchscreen-hacking, interactive map editing, augmented sniping and other GamePad interactions.

Online Features

Draw on the map or record audio notes to share via Miiverse.
Miiverse integration, aside from the standard screenshot and message board functions entails the ability to share either typed, hand drawn and/or audio notes (recorded via the GamePad microphone), so called Infologs that players can leave on the map, with their friends. It is essentially an enhanced version of bloodstains, first found in Demon's Souls. These Infologs can be shared via Miiverse and downloaded by friends who will then be able to look at, for example, a screenshot with a hand-written note and an audio clip inside it.

Gameplay Enhancements & New Content

On top of making use of the full breadth of Wii U's features, the game will also offer hours of developer commentaries, a New Game+ mode, achievements, a fully interactive in-game guide along with gameplay tweaks like improved A.I., overhauled boss fights, refined game balance and combat and visual improvements.

All DLC is Included

All previously available content has been brought together in one seamless package.
The "Missing Link," which was available as DLC for the original and Tong's rescue mission that shipped with the Augmented Edition have been seamlessly integrated into the narrative flow of the game. The Missing Link still has players lose their abilities at the beginning but they will be able to bring all the new augmentations and weapons into the regular game after the content is completed and their missing skill points will be awarded back to them.

New Game+ Mode & Achievements

The highly requested New Game+ mode has added to the Director's Cut, letting players carry over their augmentations and weapons from their first playthrough. All the achievements from the original game, including the Missing Link DLC achievements and new Director's Cut achievements are built into the game as well.

Boss Battles & A.I. Improvements

In terms of the revamped boss battles, all the maps have been reworked to include options for stealth and hacking, allowing players to solve the encounters without firing a single bullet (although the bosses still have to be killed in some way). Eidos Montreal had originally made tweaks to the A.I. for the Missing Link DLC that has now been applied to the entire game.

Another gameplay tweak is that now two energy cells recharge in all but the highest difficulties, allowing for more experimentation and use of augmentations.

Visual Augmentation

Cleaner visuals and better lighting from the DLC are now applied to the whole game.
The improvements in the visual department consist of smoother shadows, better lighting and anti-aliasing which are now part of the whole game. According to Eidos Montreal's Emile Pedneault, the Director's Cut on Wii U is even "sharper than the PC version," likely referring not to the actual sharpness of the resolution but to the graphical improvements originally found in the "Missing Link" DLC which were applied to the whole game while also being improved even further.

Exclusive Bonus Content

Also included in the Director's Cut are a 45-minute Making Of-documentary and around eight hours of developer commentary from Eidos Montreal in the vein of Valve games like Half Life 2 or Portal that have small icons appearing in the world that trigger the audio files which can then be played back even while the player continues to explore the level.

Additionally, five languages (German, English, Spanish, French, Italian) are available on the disc in both subtitle and audio form including the ability to mix and match. And finally, a left-handed control option has also been added with four preset layout variations.

PC Upgrade Plan

For the PC version of the Director's Cut, Square Enix announced an upgrade plan for those who already invested in the original game. This offer is limited to the Steam version.

New purchase (if you don’t already have the game): £12.99/€19.99/$19.99
Own the basic game (with no DLC): £6.99/€7.99/$9.99
Own the game and Missing Link DLC: £3.49/€3.99/$4.99

A slight correction: The PC version of the DC isn't an upgrade but rather its own game. It doesn't replace or otherwise interfere with the pre-existing library entries for DE:HR or The Missing Link.

Digital Distribution File Size:

About 14 gigs.

System Requirements

Minimum Recommended

Processor: 2 GHz dual core

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 or Intel Core 2 Quad or better

Memory: 2 GB RAM

Memory: 2 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8000 series or ATI Radeon HD 2000 series or better
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5850

DirectX: Version 9.0c

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 17 GB available space

Hard Drive: 17 GB available space

Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound device

Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound device

AgentOtaku takes us through using the Vita as a controller for the PS3:
"Um, did you know you can play Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC via VIta, Wii U pad style?"

Ledsen

Mobile version is just fine for me. Galaxy S3.

Sorry about your flip phone.

I'm on an iphone 4s. And although I realize you've put a lot of work into the ot and that's great, there's not one good reason to put text in pictures. The font is harder to read, you can't search or copy/paste, and it's annoying on mobile even when it does work (which it doesn't on iphone).

Edit: thank you kindly good sir!

Cystm

I'm on an iphone 4s. And although I realize you've put a lot of work into the ot and that's great, there's not one good reason to put text in pictures. The font is harder to read, you can't search or copy/paste, and it's annoying on mobile even when it does work (which it doesn't on iphone).

Edit: thank you kindly good sir!

I'll try to include a Mobile phone version for those unable to view the OP as intended.

Coldsun

Banned
OP doesn't work on mobile GAF (pics-based OTs are a baaaad idea my friend, functionality should always come on top), how do I go about upgrading my non-DC edition on Steam?
Is performance better than vanilla (DX11 was kinda borked)?

You buy the director's cut on the same account. It'll be 5 bucks.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You buy the director's cut on the same account. It'll be 5 bucks.

Yep, thanks, just read that in the new mobile-friendlyOP (props to Cystm :), glad I own TML DLC then.

Recommended specs don't mention DX11, hope that's not cause they dropped support for it from vanilla, but if they didn't then do you guys happen to know if that shit has been fixed? I'm still on the fence if I should do my playthrough on vanilla or DC (barely played it for a couple of hours a long time ago), leaning toward the latter but performance will be a pretty important factor... I hope the game is better optimized and that'll run better than vanilla on my pc, especially framerate-wise with all the stuttering and whatnot.

pahamrick

Yep, thanks, just read that in the new mobile-friendlyOP (props to Cystm :), glad I own TML DLC then.

Recommended specs don't mention DX11, hope that's not cause they dropped support for it from vanilla, but if they didn't then do you guys happen to know if that shit has been fixed? I'm still on the fence if I should do my playthrough on vanilla or DC (barely played it for a couple of hours a long time ago), leaning toward the latter but performance will be a pretty important factor... I hope the game is better optimized and that'll run better than vanilla on my pc, especially framerate-wise with all the stuttering and whatnot.

Unsure what your specs are, I'm running it with an i7-920 OC'd to 3.6 and Crossfired 5870s. Had to do some registry tweaks, but the game runs locked at 60fps with everything maxed for the most part. Still get the occasional stutter when first entering an area. DX11 still supported, basically the only difference between the DC and vanilla is the revamped lighting system and The Missing Link being fully integrated instead of separate as well as the new tweaked boss fights.

SpiderCrab

Neo Member
So basically as stated before, this is an implementation of the Wii U pad, with more or less everything intact

From your shot it seems like it uses the original radar rather than the combined radar/map/button UI, but apart from that, it looks pretty slick! Wonder if any loading-time improvements got pulled back.

sfried

From your shot it seems like it uses the original radar rather than the combined radar/map/button UI, but apart from that, it looks pretty slick! Wonder if any loading-time improvements got pulled back.

Actually its a bit misleading. The WiiU gamepad also features Infolog creation which you can leave in-game for other players of DX:HR players to come pick up (kinda like the messages in Demon Souls). I asked him if it was in that version, and he told me he it wasn't there. Also, there doesn't seem to be any gyro support (used for sniping?), along with the annotation features found on the Wii U version.

Plus Off-TV play.

Eusis

Probably already discussed but whats so great about this game? As a Wii U owner why would i want this game at any point?
FPS RPG-type game with dynamic approaches to reaching your goals and playing through the game in general.

An even bigger reason in a way is that there are not many of these games period, and this is one of the better designed ones. If the price tag doesn't scare you off then by all means play it, else at least try it out once it goes on sale to a low enough point you're willing to bite.

Actually its a bit misleading. The WiiU gamepad also features Infolog creation which you can leave in-game for other players of DX:HR players to come pick up (kinda like the messages in Demon Souls). I asked him if it was in that version, and he told me he it wasn't there. Also, there doesn't seem to be any gyro support (used for sniping?), along with the annotation features found on the Wii U version.

Plus Off-TV play.

Just woke up and yep, this covers it

Frodo

Downloading this for the Wii U. Glad they are not charging full price in Europe.

Never played this game. Let's see what it is all about.

I've posted on the Steam forums about this issue multiple times, but I am getting the dreaded stuttering problem (smooth framerate otherwise). This was completely fixed with the last patch that was released for DE:HR, but now it has returned. I've tried all the registry fixes, and playing vsync on and off (including adaptive vsync on or off in the NVidia control panel) to no avail.

Anyone else do something that got rid of their stutter?

Just bought two Wii U copies - its cheap here in the UK and my friend might appreciate one. Looking forward to it arriving tomorrow. Really hoping it does acceptably... I always like to reward the effort of good Wii U ports.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
When you guys are talking about "compressed weapon sounds", what do you mean?

I played it last night, and I noticed that when I fired the assault rifle, there was a delay between seeing the gun fire and hearing the gun fire. Anyone else notice this? This is on PC, BTW.

Can anyone tell me if this is worth buying if I already have the game and the missing link DLC?

It's only 5$ btw.

Yeah, it's a great game, and I'm loving the changes (especially having 2 batteries charge w/o any augments). If you've already played the game, the commentary is really nice too.

Yeah, it's a great game, and I'm loving the changes (especially having 2 batteries charge w/o any augments). If you've already played the game, the commentary is really nice too.

Yeah, if they patch the sound in the PS3 version, this will be the ddefinitive version for sure

This game runs like shit. In certain moments it doesn't even matter if you're running DX9 on lowest settings at 720p, the framerate on my hd6850 hits below 30fps. Hilarious, specially after playing Bioshock Infinite/Tomb Raider/Far Cry 3 at pretty high fidelity, at 900p..

Top Bottom