• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Invisible War = $9.99 @ ebgames.com

LukeSmith

I am just wrapping up the endgame of Invisible War. The combat throughout the game is awkward and wonky. The game is schizophrenic and loses its focus, it cannot decide whether it wants to be an RPG, an FPA an FPS. The problem being, it succeeds as none of those. The storyline in Deus Ex is compelling enough to keep me interested, however the technical issues marring the game (frame rate drops, hit detection) detract from the experience.
The lighting is great, the physics engine is overrated and unrealistic. Interacting with the environment as much as you can is nice, but some elements are a little too convienent (human sized grates to crawl through everywhere, et cetera).
All of that being said. Deus Ex: Invisible war is a fine game. At times it's great. The voice acting is good, the music is good, and fundamentally the game looks pretty decent. However, it could've used an additional couple of coats of polish from Warren Spector et al. This game is a disappointment, (not because of the first one, which I never played) but because of all of the things the game could've been.

Scoot said:
I am just wrapping up the endgame of Invisible War. The combat throughout the game is awkward and wonky. The game is schizophrenic and loses its focus, it cannot decide whether it wants to be an RPG, an FPA an FPS. The problem being, it succeeds as none of those.

Actually, it succeeded quite well at all three in the first game, but fails this time around due to excessive simplification and weak level design.

Without the character skills, item organization and larger biomod system, the RPG system has been weakened. Without the area targeting, body health system, or seperate ammo, the FPS system has been weakened. And with seemingly every level offering an air vent, "secret bases" having an average of six guards, and so many blatant ways to solve a puzzle, the FPA system is compromised too.

Make no mistake, this game is a lot more fun than Doom 3; but it's so clearly subpar compared to the first game to the point of frustration. It's almost as if Ion Storm was so busy playtesting that they wore down the core concept into a round nub.

The storyline in Deus Ex is compelling enough to keep me interested, however the technical issues marring the game (frame rate drops, hit detection) detract from the experience.

The storyline is more like a broken fanfic extension compared to the first title. If you turn off the smearing effect and use the latest patch, the frame rate is fine (or at least it is on my Doom 3 capable system). Hit detection is fine but doesn't matter a whole lot since the only weapon that can kill on a headshot is the zoomed in rifle.

[Insert here, for the millionth fucking time, why it's not funny that the new price is less than the preowned price when it's a temporary price drop.]

LukeSmith

Crazymoogle said:
Actually, it succeeded quite well at all three in the first game, but fails this time around due to excessive simplification and weak level design. Make no mistake, this game is a lot more fun than Doom 3; but it's so clearly subpar compared to the first game to the point of frustration. It's almost as if Ion Storm was so busy playtesting that they wore down the core concept into a round nub.
The storyline is more like a broken fanfic extension compared to the first title. If you turn off the smearing effect and use the latest patch, the frame rate is fine (or at least it is on my Doom 3 capable system). Hit detection is fine but doesn't matter a whole lot since the only weapon that can kill on a headshot is the zoomed in rifle.

It sounds like I will have to scoop up the first one.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thanks Eidos for ruining the sequel. If any of you are curious I'd highly suggest going through some personal post-mortem's on the game and also a lot of the Thief team's thought on the matter.

TekunoRobby said:
Thanks Eidos for ruining the sequel. If any of you are curious I'd highly suggest going through some personal post-mortem's on the game and also a lot of the Thief team's thought on the matter.

Links? Most of what I've seen has been 'pat on the back for a good job done' sort of things.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Crazymoogle said:
Links? Most of what I've seen has been 'pat on the back for a good job done' sort of things.
I'll see if I can find them, most of them were put on personal blogs and internal emails sent privately by the team, nothing that was posted publicly on the internet. A lot of it I found through privately owned message boards and also the game specific messageboards of Ion Storm. While these anonymous messages COULD BE fake, all of them were consistant and factual with regards of what occured and how the team dealt interacted with Eidos. Of course none of this has been confirmed publicy by any of the team members so take it with a grain of salt.

I think the easiest one to find was a post mortem posted by a member of the Thief team that explained how they viciously fought against Eidos to keep Thief: Deadly Shadows as close to the originals as possible and not to dumb it down for the console crowd. Loads of insight upon the Deus Ex situation.

Oh and Eidos was happy with the end result of Deus Ex, they didn't harrass the team at all, they just FORCED them to make it how they thought it should be designed.

SickBoy

What are the system requirements for the first Deus Ex? It chugged on my old system (Duron 800), but all I've changed is the processor and motherboard. I'm still using a rusty-ol' GeForce 2MX, but if that'll suffice with an Athlon 1800+, I'll have to pick the game up on the cheap...

-SB

SickBoy said:
What are the system requirements for the first Deus Ex? It chugged on my old system (Duron 800), but all I've changed is the processor and motherboard. I'm still using a rusty-ol' GeForce 2MX, but if that'll suffice with an Athlon 1800+, I'll have to pick the game up on the cheap...

Should be no problem. When DX came out I was running it at 640x480 (or 800x600) on a Celeron 450A with a Rage Fury (dualchip) card. With an Athlon 1800+ and G2MX you should get 800x600 smoothly, I would think.

TekunoRobby said:
I think the easiest one to find was a post mortem posted by a member of the Thief team that explained how they viciously fought against Eidos to keep Thief: Deadly Shadows as close to the originals as possible and not to dumb it down for the console crowd. Loads of insight upon the Deus Ex situation.

Fake or not, I'd love to see it. Obviously some shit went down, because Harvey, Warren, and apparently quite a few others all jumped ship (in one way or another) shortly after.

Are you talking about the Gamasutra postmortem for Thief3?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I apologize, I've scoured a few of my resources including TTLG forums (where I initially found the personal post mortem on Thief III, not the Gamasutra one) and I haven't been able to find the threads.

I'm firing off a few emails and see if anybody replies. :(

SickBoy said:

The problem with Deus Ex is that it was one of the earlier Unreal engined games that ran much better on 3dfx hardware (Glide) than DirectX (nVidia and others). Patches did improve on the really poor DirectX performance though. I don't know if the Geforce was around back when Deus Ex first came out (it might have still been TNT2 days), but the GF2MX should do fine.

Top Bottom