• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: The Fall (PC) |OT| iNever Asked For This

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EatChildren, any chance you will get an advance copy and do a review?

Not likely. I'll have to wait with the rest of the plebeians.

d00d3n

The game is not as good as The Missing Link (which was better designed than large portions of the main game), but the Deus Ex Human Revolution hooks are there. Stealth and instant takedowns were translated perfectly to touch screen controls. Anything with weapons and aiming was awful. Exploration was a bit gimped due to no jump button and smaller areas, but there were enough loot and gated passageways around to entertain you. I would single out the hotel map as a really successful deus ex human revolution style stealth/exploration experience. Story and conversations worked, but were nothing to write home about compared with the main game.

It will be interesting to see how they change this version on a detail level. Presumably, jumping will be in again, but I wonder if maps will be adjusted in any way for this. Will probably be weird if you can jump, but there is 0% utility of this skill throughout the game. I also wonder about the small level sizes ... It seems like the entire "hub area" should fit on the same map on pc, but I am not sure if this type of major change is what they are aiming for here.

Actually, after studying the key mappings, it seems the pc version will not have jumping after all. Jump button is replaced with context sensitive cover button on both 360 controller and keyboard mappings. Deus Ex thief(2014)-ified, now on PC too! I wonder if this will affect the real Human Revolution sequel also ... Would probably save them money on playtesting and the iOS and android $ is nice down the line. The Fall was unexpectedly good, but Eidos please don't gimp PC games like this

Actually, after studying the key mappings, it seems the pc version will not have jumping after all. Jump button is replaced with context sensitive cover button on both 360 controller and keyboard mappings. Deus Ex thief(2014)-ified, now on PC too! I wonder if this will affect the real Human Revolution sequel also ... Would probably save them money on playtesting and the iOS and android $ is nice down the line. The Fall was unexpectedly good, but Eidos please don't gimp PC games like this

A doubt a lack of jump in this PC port means any more DX games won't have jump. The levels were designed with a lack of jump in mind due to the control constraints of touch screens, so just adding jump back in would be fairly useless at the least, and complete break the maps at the worst.

dr_rus

Are you from Russia?
Yes.

Do you travel often between those countries and other countries? Otherwise I can't see it being a real problem, especially knowing all the problems with credit card theft and online keyshops
Yes, I travel often. But that's not the point - I refuse to pay any money for limitations of any kind. This is the real problem.

I'd blame the publisher
Providing local pricing and building a regional locking mechanics are Valve's doing.
Their inability to give us an option of buying an unlocked version for US/EU prices is Valve's problem.
Publishers are publishers. I expect nothing but bad decisions from them. Valve should be better than this.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So since I've played none of these yet which would be a good DE game to start with? I mostly went ahead and got this since it came with the original and I already have HR DC.

Do you travel often between those countries and other countries? Otherwise I can't see it being a real problem, especially knowing all the problems with credit card theft and online keyshops

Those who are in Russia that leave the country to travel can afford to travel often.

Last time I visited Russia, I decided to pop onto Steam. The prices were downright bonkers low, but I couldn't buy it.

What Steam needs is an authorized-traveller account or something, where if you've kept your account for so long, and established residency in a few countries, where you buy it won't matter.

Pretty excited about more Deus Ex. How did the iOS version fare excluding controls?
I thought it was pretty fun -- it was a decent approximation of the real deal and it made some flights go faster for me. That said, I'm thinking it might feel pretty shallow on PC. It won't be like another 'Missing Link' or anything.

Card Boy

Banned
Less than 24hrs till release and no new PC media, reviews or videos.

cdtl3nbecbni.jpg

I bought both Human Revolution and the Director's Cut - both had to be patched several times before they would run on my PC properly (which has no problems with almost all other games). The Director's Cut still isn't playable without community fixes which is why I'll never buy a Deus-Ex product again. Burned, twice with the same game.... Pity, I thought the game rocked but fuck them.

Could you elaborate on the community fixes for Director's Cut?

xbringer

Neo Member
I played it on IOS and it's alright. I didn't buy any microtransactions and thought it was pretty easy anyway. Shooting anything was a huge problem due to the controls, good thing I noticed that early during the tutorials. I played it just like I played HR however, sneaking around invisible, and that worked fine. It's not a twitch game, there are many areas to plan ahead. So, the basic gameplay is familiar and fun if you played the earlier games, the story is trash however, so you're not missing anything important either.
You start playing as a bad guy (the ones doing the raid in the lab during the intro to HR), then find out you're being lied to and fight against them.

considering the cost (or lack thereof) i will purchase this for two reasons
1. i love Deus Ex
2. maybe it will encourage SE to keep the brand going and not go crazy with mobile versions

STEALTH reason: Slim hope it gets ported to a portable like Vita or 3DS

dr_rus

Thank you. :)
Most of these were fixed in a new Geforce driver a month or so ago anyway.
DXHRDC had problems because they didn't update the driver profile for DXHR to include DXHRDC in it. That's what you get when a game is low profile and isn't in TWIMTBP program.

3bdelilah

Banned
What are the slim chances we can see this on PSN any time soon? My pc is shit and literally makes tons of noise because of YouTube, but I kinda want to try this. DX:HR is one of my all time favourites!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wow, I'd never heard of this game, until I just happened to see this thread.

I'm a sucker for Deus Ex, but the port of a mobile game? Hmmmmmm.

3bdelilah

Banned

Haha you haven't seen the teaser for it? A lot of fans thought it would be a full DX4, until it got unveiled as a mobile games. I've never seen so many "Deus Ex: The Fail" posts in my life. Still curious though, but only if it gets a digital PSN release (most likely not going to happen, I guess).

Nzyme32

It's something of a necessary evil due to Steam's region-specific pricing and games in Eastern Europe generally being ~40% cheaper than elsewhere, although Valve recently introduced a new gifting/trading flag that can and has been used in lieu of onlyallowrunincountries (in such cases gift copies that international users receive from South American and Eastern European users are region-locked at the activation level; there are no runtime restrictions).

With that explanation in mind, I feel like they should be a bit more open about the reasoning to those affected and also perhaps come up with a system that can allow those guys to access an unlock to the run restriction if they happen to move out of that territory, although how you actually do that is the big problem

Nzyme32

If you don't know already, you should check this out towards the bottom of the page, where they discuss "Deus Ex Universe" or rather their commitment to create multifaceted sets of story content that also includes new game on PC / mobile / console / comics/ etc etc...... ie expect the same confusion more often, and for them to possible milk it...

Card Boy

Banned
Just came out 5 minutes ago. Looks like they changed the Deus Ex 1 pre-order bonus to a limited time offer available post launch lol. Steam page has a trailer.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Thoughts from having played a little over an hour of the game:

Non-spoiler commentary:

They didn't upgrade the texture resolution from the mobile version. Looks really bad in many parts of the game. There are other buggy aspects of this port, like looking around being jumpy, which is particularly jarring and frustrating.

This game really needed to have been developed for PC first, with a focus on making the content and narrative as strong as both the main game and The Missing Link.

On the bright side, Steam trading cards = a bit of free pocket change.

Spoiler commentary:

I've only played the tutorial mission so far, but I'm disappointed with how much was streamlined vs. how the tutorial mission's events were portrayed in Icarus Effect. For example, the section with Saxon dealing with the guards and the elevator, with Federova coming to the rescue, is completely missing in this game. Stuff like this bugs the hell out of me because Icarus Effect had so much content that would've made for good gameplay, but it seems absolutely wasted on a mobile-focused title.

sweet, this game comes with deus ex. I mean I already own it on physical format, but it's nice to have on steam.

i might purchase Invisible war that way I have the whole series in one place and since it's a cheap game. and yes, I actually liked invisible wars (puts on flame suit)

I'm getting some super hardcore stuttering whenever my back is to any surface and I move turn the corner while keeping my back to that surface. (Basically the hold A option). wtf....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dreadful port: pretty sure there's mouse acceleration and no option to turn off, sound bugs that override some dialogue and in-game sounds (gunshots, footsteps, etc) to mute while background music plays (turning down music to 0 does nothing), weird mouse stuttering at random points almost like what you see when a multiplayer game is lagging hard.

I can hack not having graphics upgraded. I can kinda hack the game design being restricted to what was on iOS (eg: no jump, no iron sights, overall limited in depth and control compared to Human Revolution), but these technical issues are unacceptable.

Tizoc

Is it me or is the button mapping messed up? I'm using a PS4 controller and apparently Square is the 'A' button, and X is the 'B' button.

Dennis

Banned
Dreadful port: pretty sure there's mouse acceleration and no option to turn off, sound bugs that override some dialogue and in-game sounds (gunshots, footsteps, etc) to mute while background music plays (turning down music to 0 does nothing), weird mouse stuttering at random points almost like what you see when a multiplayer game is lagging hard.

I can hack not having graphics upgraded. I can kinda hack the game design being restricted to what was on iOS (eg: no jump, no iron sights, overall limited in depth and control compared to Human Revolution), but these technical issues are unacceptable.

What a shame.

Thanks, I was almost considering picking this up. Sounds like it would be just a waste of time though.

EDIT: I've also read that there's no inventory system AND you can access a store at all times? Wow...

The Steam reviews page are also all confirming that it's a horrid port on top of a mediocre game. Why in the world did they release this EARLY? That makes me think they definitely were just planning to send it out to die, and likely have few plans for patching the bugs.

Deathcrow

Neo Member
With the missing sounds as early as the tutorial I can't believe that anyone even playtested this poor excuse for a release. Did they just click on "Build for windows..." in Unity and ship it like that?

... or did they just not care about the bugs?

Thanks, I was almost considering picking this up. Sounds like it would be just a waste of time though.

EDIT: I've also read that there's no inventory system AND you can access a store at all times? Wow...

The Steam reviews page are also all confirming that it's a horrid port on top of a mediocre game. Why in the world did they release this EARLY? That makes me think they definitely were just planning to send it out to die, and likely have few plans for patching the bugs.

Don't forget that you can't drag bodies or interact with them in any way. They actually disappear after a couple of seconds.

bobawesome

Pretty disappointing stuff to hear. I guess I'll just stick with the iPad version for now...
May buy once it's a dollar.

EatChildren

Well look: ideally they'd have gone to the game's template, overhauled the engine (which is Unity) to the Human Revolution engine (dated as it is), and enhanced the game mechanics, AI, depth of interactivity and so on to be more like a stand-alone Missing Link. It would have been a big job as a copy/paste would just break the game, but that would be ideal.

What instead they've done is just direct port the game. Yes, it's annoying, because it means you get a stripped down version of Deus Ex lacking in interactive depth, and it doesn't feel right with a keyboard, but it does work and in their defence they haven't advertised it as anything but a port. It's pretty much "Did you not play this? Well, now you can", and I fit that category.

But technical issues are where I draw the line. If cutscene and radio dialogue disappears in half a second or cuts out instantly I'm missing chunks of story. If the mouse aiming and movement is occasionally stuttering I'm struggling to play an already basic game. These are game breaking bugs and thus nobody should spend a cent (assuming you still want what you're getting) until they're fixed.

EDIT: Like I get that it cops shit for being super watered down and limited, but I guess it doesn't bother me any more than Peace Walker in the MGS HD Collection lacking the interactive depth of MGS3. They're both portable ports, gameplay restrictions. Total remake/overhaul would be nice, but whatever. I just want a functional game.

Nzyme32

el+padre.JPG

Top Bottom