• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 3 Images

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I just don't think they'll be able to squeeze anything more out of the PS2 to make a notable improvement visually over the first and second one.
Considering that almost everything looks better than the second one, they shouldn't have problems with that :p

I think DMC3 might be using graphics engine from Onimusha 3, which is very, very good. Lighting and particle efects in this game definitely look way better than anything in the first two DMC games, and about on par with Oni 3. The rain scene is pretty much better looking than anthing of it's kind... maybe even better than the rain effect in MGS2.

Drinky Crow said:
Fugly. Is Dante wearing a "bro"?

Culex said:

LOL@both of you.

Anywho, this game look like crap grpahically. While it does look a bit better in motion (and I love the music in the trailer), I must be to used to my XB, cause this just looks bad to the point of me not wanting to play it. I really wish Capcom would port this over to the XB. Even better, they should just make it initially for the XB, and then dumb it down for the PS2.

The Promised One said:
LOL@both of you.

Anywho, this game look like crap grpahically. While it does look a bit better in motion (and I love the music in the trailer), I must be to used to my XB, cause this just looks bad to the point of me not wanting to play it. I really wish Capcom would port this over to the XB. Even better, they should just make it initially for the XB, and then dumb it down for the PS2.

Sometimes Xbot scare me with their... selfishness.

Bebpo

Banned
The Promised One said:
LOL@both of you.

Solution: Play less Xbox

ourumov

Looks cool. I would like it Dante to be as badass as he was in DMC 1...And not 2 which I am beating now and so far doesn't show that bad ass guy...

Gattsu25

Banned
ourumov said:
Looks cool. I would like it Dante to be as badass as he was in DMC 1...And not 2 which I am beating now and so far doesn't show that bad ass guy...

he won't.

920607_20040511_screen001.jpg

17.jpg

davis

I think DMC3 looks bad I haven't seen it in motion but those shots look like shit and DMC2 sucked compared to the 1st . I dont think Capcom is putting their best people behind this series anymore and are just trying for a quick buck. I have Ninja Gaiden I think DMC1 is about on par as far as quality goes NG does some things better and some things worse also got to remember the time frame both games came out DMC1 still holds up fairly well, just its a different type action game. Gamerankings they aren't too far apart either in overall scores. I have zero interest in DMC3 though. Capcom better fix the series quick or kill it off.

----

Banned
I got to play DMC 3 at E3 and came away very disappointed. It had the worst graphics of all the games I saw at the show, the camera was terrible, and the gameplay was mindlessly bad. The graphics were so god awful you couldn't tell what the hell you were slashing up, just an ugly jagged pixelated mess of a creature.

I actually had a big discussion at E3 about how garbage like DMC 3 was completely unacceptable for anyone that had already played a game like Ninja Gaiden. I love the genre, but DMC3 would be a huge step backwards. Not just in the horrendous graphics, but the gameplay is so simplistic and the enemy AI is so primitive. And if you can't deal with the camera in Ninja Gaiden, then this game could only be deemed a nightmare. The original game in the series looked better than this and had so much promise. It seemed like it was going to be a great franchise originally.

I didn't play God of War, but it looked really really good. It's not that the PS2 isn't capable of great graphics, it's just that DMC3 looks and plays like a game made somewhere between last generation PSOne and first generation PS2 games. Blame Capcom, not the PS2.

Capcom's been pretty consistent when it comes to their DMC series screenshots. Which is to say, they're all fairly sh*tty. Seeing the games in person though, is a whole 'nother thing entirely.

Devil May Cry:
dmc_0301_screen005.jpg

Devil May Cry 2:
dmc2_1122_21.jpg

Devil May Cry 3:
06.jpg

This thread deserves a
rolleyes.gif
for all of the Capcom/DMC hate.

P90

DMC1 >>NG, but that isn't saying a whole lot. (DMC1 started out fantastic then went downhill. NG started meh and went nowhere).

DMC3 looks like a GH pickup for me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Promised One said:
Yeah, I would, if most of the PS2 games didn't bore me to death. I'm also a graphics whore.

So, what you are saying is that you DON'T like good games...you like good graphics?

firex

I wonder when they're going to make the online DMC where you post in Dante's livejournal community about what's new in hot topic.

Ceros

Spike Spiegel said:
Capcom's been pretty consistent when it comes to their DMC series screenshots. Which is to say, they're all fairly sh*tty. Seeing the games in person though, is a whole 'nother thing entirely.

Devil May Cry:
dmc_0301_screen005.jpg

Devil May Cry 2:
dmc2_1122_21.jpg

Devil May Cry 3:
06.jpg

This thread deserves a
rolleyes.gif

The progession of teh jaggieness is what it looks like to me....shouldn't a devlepor wanna go in the OPPOSITE direction???

ourumov

When most of us play using interlaced sets I couldn't care less about jaggies...DMC 2 had much better texturing than DMC 1 and that's noticeable.
Fuck the haters.

dark10x

Ceros said:
The progession of teh jaggieness is what it looks like to me....shouldn't a devlepor wanna go in the OPPOSITE direction???

Err, but they AREN'T getting worse. If anything, the image quality has remained the same. DMC1 and 2 both use field rendering and end up looking quite pixelated when things start moving quickly. DMC3 will probably use the same technique.

It looks pretty bad on a progressive display, but still acceptable. At least it doesn't flicker. :\

Really, though, you absolutely can't judge image quality when using three shots all captured in a slightly different manner. DMC1 is displayed in about the lowest quality manner you'll find on PS2, so it isn't as if it can get worse...

Ceros

dark10x said:
Err, but they AREN'T getting worse. If anything, the image quality has remained the same. DMC1 and 2 both use field rendering and end up looking quite pixelated when things start moving quickly. DMC3 will probably use the same technique.

It looks pretty bad on a progressive display, but still acceptable. At least it doesn't flicker. :\

Really, though, you absolutely can't judge image quality when using three shots all captured in a slightly different manner. DMC1 is displayed in about the lowest quality manner you'll find on PS2, so it isn't as if it can get worse...

I don't understand all that technical jargon you're using and I'm not a graphix whore either, but in those 3 pics shown its more of a degression instead of a progression. Now all that stuff you're saying maybe in fact true, but I'm judging by what is shown. Answer me this, how bad can a picture of a game be captured where as though it looks like a first gen PS2 game? I swear that 3rd pic reminds me of Tekken Tag Tournament. I mean you don't even have to look @ the whole entire portion of the pictures. Just look @ the lighting effect of Dante's gun firing in each picture and you'll see what I'm talking about.

"I swear that 3rd pic reminds me of Tekken Tag Tournament."

Now we wouldn't want that would we?

ttt_08.jpg

Like I said, Capcom's always had bad capturing this gen. Does anyone remember those terrible pics Maximo that was put up on the official site awhile back? No one could believe that Capcom had actually put those up.

dark10x

Ceros said:
I don't understand all that technical jargon you're using and I'm not a graphix whore either, but in those 3 pics shown its more of a degression instead of a progression. Now all that stuff you're saying maybe in fact true, but I'm judging by what is shown. Answer me this, how bad can a picture of a game be captured where as though it looks like a first gen PS2 game? I swear that 3rd pic reminds me of Tekken Tag Tournament. I mean you don't even have to look @ the whole entire portion of the pictures. Just look @ the lighting effect of Dante's gun firing in each picture and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Well, first of all, TTT's US release still remains one of the best examples of high-end image quality on PS2 (non-progressive IQ, that is). It is extremely clean and crisp.

PS2 games generally look quite awful in still caps. One can not judge any of these games based on pics. You must see them in motion on an actual TV...

With field rendering, the effective resolution per frame is only 640x224. By quickly alternating scanlines, it gives the appearance of 640x448. With fast motion and no attempt at cleaning this up, you end up with the appearance of a very low resolution. Devil May Cry used this technique. As a result, I'm saying that, in motion, there is no way that DMC3 will appear lower in resolution than the original.

The appearance of DMC3 in these pics really DOES support the idea that they are using the engine from Onimusha 3. Oni 3 had the same problem. It looked very low-res in still pics. The actual game looked much better in motion, however.

Spike Spiegel said:

Devil May Cry:
dmc_0301_screen005.jpg

Devil May Cry 2:
dmc2_1122_21.jpg

Devil May Cry 3:
06.jpg

This thread deserves a
rolleyes.gif

i don't know about you, but those screens (at least for 1 and 2) look pretty indicative of what the actual game running looks like to me. Not to say thats a bad thing. Personally, i actually LIKED DMC2, so i'll still be looking forward to 3.

Is it me or is that a stripper pole in that third pic?

And why all the hate on the graphics? I would have expected more hate focused on the asstacular gameplay of DMC2 "The Search for More Money".

Fuck it, DMC1 still looks fuckin awesome on a decent TV screen and it looks like shit in screenshots just as much as DMC3 does... So I'm sure that DMC3 will kick ass in the visuals.

Top Bottom