• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

God rays making the game blurry, motion blur that can't be turned off, terrible video options, slow motion problems, bad optimization in general.

How did this happen? Another goddamn botched Capcom port when they had one of the best PC ports ever to work with.

I was shopping through skills and then it hit me between seeing Vergil's skills in the DMC4 engine and the soothing ass store music, a single tear rolled down my cheek.

We here now brehs
gXx9w5B.png

never forget dmc started as a mistake resident evil game :)

Anteater

game runs about the same as I remembered the original running, 2880x1620, 60 to 80fps, some areas above 80 to 100.

760 gtx and an I5, it's cool

Okay, good, embargo's over.

The annoying thing about this game on Xbox One is that it records a clip every time you get to SS style

So if you're even moderately good at this game, you have a lot of clips of basically every battle in the game

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The mouse and keyboard controls any better? Or gamepad still the way to go?

You can use any input device you want, but the keyboard and mouse functions haven't changed. You're not going to find a lot of keyboard users.

I feel like I need to play him instead of Lady. Lady is my favorite character in the series though so it's hard to not want to play as her.

Lady is a different beast and only opens up once you unlock most of her moves. Vergil has an arsenal from the start.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Guys, let me get this straight. The Vergil campaign is a wholly NEW game? They don't just swap characters and make you play through the exact same thing, correct?

mui

Neo Member
tried it on my laptop with gtx 750m and the performance is really horrible. like really horrible. everything is in slow motion for some reason?

which is weird because im able to play the older dmc 4 on a solid 60 frame per seconds. gotta ask for a refund :(

ok so does vsync matter much cause i get a huge fps boost without it
also antialiasing?

You can skip v-sync as long as you aren't noticing screen-tearing, though depending on where your FPS is at (60+) there's no reason not to be using it. Anti-aliasing is more a matter of personal preference than anything else, though running a game with it completely off is more than most people can handle.

I'm really loving Vergil. As it's been so long since I've played the story mode, though, I had somehow managed to forget how much I dislike the Devil Bringer platforming. Thankfully it isn't too aggressively used after the first few levels.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hah, that's awesome. In the final credits sequence with Trish and Lady, you can watch Trish fighting on the other side of the blockade.

do you even exceed?
It's basically how you play Nero, but Vergil has an insane amount of options compared to Nero it's ridiculous. They should have added more weapons for Nero that had different implementations of exceed, or different modes for devil bringer that you select from the dpad..

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Played 2 missions with both new campaigns.

Lady is really weird, even lost against Belial, managed to get a few S rankings in the mission but not even I know how.
Now Vergil, boy that guy made me motivated.

Dahbomb

Vergil has his own Exceed type mechanic. His teleport is just vastly superior to Devil Bringer in terms of what you can actually do with it. Summoned Swords have a better movelist than Blue Rose. Concentration gives him buffed version of his own moves (similar to how EX moves give buffed moves to Nero). He has weapon switch. He has Distortion. He has Full Steam.

And he has swag.

Step aside son... daddy's home.

It's basically how you play Nero, but Vergil has an insane amount of options compared to Nero it's ridiculous. They should have added more weapons for Nero that had different implementations of exceed, or different modes for devil bringer that you select from the dpad..

I know, I was just teasing. But that is actually what I would like to see in the next game, an alternate weapon that still utilizes the exceed system. Same revving idea but different combo timings and abilities.

The problem is you can't really compare Vergil to anyone because they just give Vergil everything and make him super powerful. They make him Dante without the technical barrier of entry. I think Nero's gameplay style fits perfectly well into the context of the group, and he shouldn't really be pushed too far into Dante/Vergil territory.

Lady is way more based on charge attacks than anyone else. You shouldn't be just in enemies' faces trying to attack, you need to dodge them while charging until you've reached an appropriate level of destructive mayhem, then bait out an opportunity to attack.

Dahbomb

Lady is way more based on charge attacks than anyone else. You shouldn't be just in enemies' faces trying to attack, you need to dodge them while charging until you've reached an appropriate level of destructive mayhem, then bait out an opportunity to attack.
Actually you should be charging while doing her Circle moves and her Grapples. Just gotta start up the charge before doing those moves (not after).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The fact that she has an offensive dodge backwards with the grenade toss reinforces this. Her charge times are quick, and I'm actually surprised at how powerful her shotgun is.

They really made Lady's guns feel and sound powerful. It's much appreciated. The guns have never felt this strong before. Even in DMC2, where the guns were overpowered, they felt flaccid.

Vergil has his own Exceed type mechanic. His teleport is just vastly superior to Devil Bringer in terms of what you can actually do with it. Summoned Swords have a better movelist than Blue Rose. Concentration gives him buffed version of his own moves (similar to how EX moves give buffed moves to Nero). He has weapon switch. He has Distortion. He has Full Steam.

And he has swag.

Love this post lol

So pumped to get off work and play

Corpsepyre

Banned
I remember switching to DX10 caused the game to enter this odd full-screen mode where you could see black bars on the sides. Is it the same situation here with the SE?

Sephzilla

And he has swag.

I read this in Vergil's voice

tried it on my laptop with gtx 750m and the performance is really horrible. like really horrible. everything is in slow motion for some reason?

which is weird because im able to play the older dmc 4 on a solid 60 frame per seconds. gotta ask for a refund :(

Is it using integrated graphics? For some reason it defaults to Intel.
The game also runs significantly worse I'm guessing because there's currently no way to disabled post-processing/ motion blur, which is not only a performance killer, but ugly. I had to turn everything to low to maintain 50 fps on my laptop and I just don't have any motivation to play the game when it looks so awful with that motion blur.

Tizoc

God rays making the game blurry, motion blur that can't be turned off, terrible video options, slow motion problems, bad optimization in general.

How did this happen? Another goddamn botched Capcom port when they had one of the best PC ports ever to work with.

Durante save us!
SOMEONE SHINE THE DURANTE SIGNAL, WE NEED HIM NOW MORE THAN EVER!

EDIT: Eh just give it a while, I'm sure someone will write up a guide on how to remove the undesirables.

Yeah fullscreen seems to make the game crash for me. Better compatibility with windowed but of course there's no borderless. Motion blur is horrible and the game just looks super blurry in general compared to vanilla. Ugh. Time to try out Vergil to get the hype back up and running.

Anteater

yeah it comes out a bit blurry, it doesn't bother me too much

hope their post release support is as good as their other games but performance is pretty great on my end

Gren

Hmm, so general consensus is that the PC version isn't nearly as well-optimized as the original, but how does it fare on its own merits? Could one get a solid 1080p/60fps with all settings max using the recommended specs from the Steam page (i3/GTX 570)? If it can't even meet that guarantee, then I guess I'll be skipping it for now.

Stayed up till 2am playing..had to get up at 7am for work. My eyes are two blood red orbs and all I want to do is go home and play more Vergil. I don't even want Batman anymore...until I'm done..

Anteater

Hmm, so general consensus is that the PC version isn't nearly as well-optimized as the original, but how does it fair on its own merits? Could one get a solid 1080p/60fps with all settings max using the recommended specs from the Steam page (i3/GTX 570)? If it can't even meet that guarantee, then I guess I'll be skipping it for now.

I have a 760 gtx i5 and I can run it at 2880x1620 with 2xMSAA, not sure how it compares to a 570.

Squishy3

Hmm, so general consensus is that the PC version isn't nearly as well-optimized as the original, but how does it fare on its own merits? Could one get a solid 1080p/60fps with all settings max using the recommended specs from the Steam page (i3/GTX 570)? If it can't even meet that guarantee, then I guess I'll be skipping it for now.
I'm running it on an AMD FX 8120 and a GTX 770 and have experienced 0 drops so far. Got an S rank in the benchmark with everything maxed.

Game is so sick. Still not entirely adapted to Vergil's style of play, granted I don't have anywhere near close to all the moves yet, of course. :p

Didn't know they updated some of the effects. Don't remember Berial's lava effects looking like that.

Top Bottom