• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dahbomb

Backwards/down teleport is R1 + Back + X in Devil Trigger for Vergil.

Weird that it's a DT skill. That's the sort of thing that should be a default ability.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Backwards/down teleport is R1 + Back + X in Devil Trigger for Vergil.

Weird that it's a DT skill. That's the sort of thing that should be a default ability.

Yep, Trick Down is DT exclusive. I remember that being a contentious topic during the Vergil livestream. I suppose they wanted to save extra mobility/evasion/positioning options for when you were in DT? It seems like a very deliberate design choice.

poncle

Is anyone else getting this? I feel like the bar isn't moving and it wont let me pass the first mission. Also the game has had about 24 hours to download, which is more then enough time on my 25mbps connection.

PSN has been very slow, to check the actual progress of the download I suggest checking it from the notifications menu.

Took 12 hours for me to be playable.

Dahbomb

Yep, Trick Down is DT exclusive. I remember that being a contentious topic during the Vergil livestream. I suppose they wanted to save extra mobility/evasion/positioning options for when you were in DT? It seems like a very deliberate design choice.
Obviously it's a deliberate design choice but it just feels odd among all the crazy bull shit that Vergil is capable of anyway. This stuff is more interesting to have than crazy damage burst options like Distortion.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Obviously it's a deliberate design choice but it just feels odd among all the crazy bull shit that Vergil is capable of anyway. This stuff is more interesting to have than crazy damage burst options like Distortion.

The only thing I can think of is that Itsuno wanted defensive mobility mechanisms and freedom tied to DT to give the sense of more freedom in DT, like how Vergil had airdash in DT in UMvC3. I'm not sure if it's really successful in conveying that DT advantage.

Stuff like Distortion and Full Steam don't really surprise me as default options since Vergil's DT acts like Dante's and DMC4 Beowulf is a re-tweaked Gilgamesh.

Alright, so I beat Vergil's story (damn am I a rusty sunnuvabitch). There are some SYSTEMS here. So, does he have a secret cutscene at the end? I got
the one where he walks away from the city and talks about how they'll know the power of a Son of Sparda[/spoilers]. Is there another one? I only
killed 19 demons at the end, and it told me I killed 10+. Is there a specific number, or is that all I get?
Now then, on to Lady/Trish.

Played it for a bit, i'm pretty much garbage and that's with Nero on Devil Hunter mode (haven't even touched the other 4). *shrug*

Took like 4 tries to take down Berial though to be fair i was doing fucking shit and refused to waste my one Gold Orb so far LOL.

Trying to IR my combos but man its tricky, especially in the heat of battle but I guess like DMC3SE i'll get in the groove eventually

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DEATH™;169606883 said:
How does the pad players manage though?

Style switching is performed with the d-pad directions on controllers.

With a stick, you're also not going to have any camera manipulation. Otherwise, it should work.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Started with Lady and Trish, will move on to Vegil. The rust is real but getting a bit better. Still getting hit every now and then. :S

My game glitched on the mission complete time lol
nqSi1sC.jpg

Gren

I ran the PC benchmark with everything max except a 60 fps cap. It maintained 60 for all four parts but gave me a "B" rating. I hope that's normal, lol.

I'm disappointed; the original runs perfectly fine on my machine but I can't get this version to run at all without huge loading times and severe slowdown even on the lowest settings. I expected it to have somewhat higher requirements but I didn't expect it to be this poor of a port.

Sectus

One small tip for people starting off who want a huge boost in proud souls: do the first 2-3 missions on Legendary Dark Knight difficulty.

Has anyone remapped the controls as Lady? It seems like it might be beneficial to remap the gun button to one of the triggers so you can keep charging it while doing wire shots or melee attacks. I briefly tried it, but I kept getting confused by the layout and I went back to default.

Just did my first playthrough as Lady/Trish and they were pretty fun to play as. Lady is surprisingly difficult to play as since most of her attacks have her standing still for so long, but the more I played with her, the more I came to appreciate her style of gameplay. It's definitely super different than any other character. I also love all the over the top effects for her attacks. Her lock on attack with the Kalina Ann looks super cool if you're in a big open area.

Trish was pretty fun to play as initially, but I found her a bit repetitive in the long run. She feels like the easiest character to use and she's got some ridiculously powerful moves which is tempting to keep relying on. Round trip is super good for stunning enemies and it gives you access to some extremely powerful melee moves. I was glad when the game switched back to Lady for the last few missions as I had more fun playing as her.

I dunno if people have talked about this already, but I got the impression this new version performs worse than the original release, so I did a quick comparison.

Original release: http://abload.de/img/devilmaycry4_dx102015hnq3s.jpg
Special edition: http://abload.de/img/devilmaycry4specialedvbq44.jpg

That is an absurd difference. Special edition literally runs half as fast as the original release. Sure, it does look better, but it doesn't look good enough to excuse that performance difference. This won't matter for most people as the game will easily run at 60fps on mid range PCs, but it had the potential to run great on low end PCs too.

DVCY201

I'm feeling pretty rusty, but I've been managing so far. Although the Red Orb Grind Fatigue is already starting to set in, seriously, what a dumb requirement.

//DEVIL//

woot i was able to get a physical copy of the game from a local store who imported only 10 copies lol " all sold out"

He called me to tell me that a DMC4 copy is available if i wanted one. I didn't even know he had them imported. " he is a friend of mine" and he said they all are reserved but 2. so i got one lol.

Lady is the first character in a character-action game to make me totally rethink all my instincts.

All I know is "go in." Now it's "stay at a reasonable distance."

Enjoying it, though.

Lady is the first character in a character-action game to make me totally rethink all my instincts.

All I know is "go in." Now it's "stay at a reasonable distance."

Enjoying it, though.

Level 3 charge on any weapon is god like.

Also stinger shotgun plus follow up (forgot what its called) is a great move that u can get early on.

Level 3 charge on any weapon is god like.

Also stinger shotgun plus follow up (forgot what its called) is a great move that u can get early on.
I've noticed her damage output is amazing, but going in is not good. Unless you Gunstinger (because I forget her name for it) -> Ground Zero. Then s'all good.
It's almost funny how Kalia Ann makes Bael/Dagon a complete joke.

That boss is a complete joke no matter who you play as

Gren

Has anyone remapped the controls as Lady? It seems like it might be beneficial to remap the gun button to one of the triggers so you can keep charging it while doing wire shots or melee attacks. I briefly tried it, but I kept getting confused by the layout and I went back to default.

Ooh good idea. I did that in Sengoku Basara w/ Ieyasu so I could charge his Balrog-style punch whilst still being able to move the camera around

So far it runs just fine on my desktop (even though from what others pointed out the performance is worse, but still 100+ FPS on 1080p), but trying to full screen this game on my laptop (Windows 8.1 with a GTX 980M) either freezes or just gives me a "Fatal Error, Error9: Unsupported Function" message. Tried the following:

1) Uninstalled and installed newer Nvidia drivers. Didn't work.
2) Ran the game as an administrator. Didn't work.
3) Tried compatibility modes (Windows 7). Didn't work.
4) Messed with the .ini file and tried to make it full screen there. Didn't work.

Eh, went ahead and returned it. Maybe I'll get back to it some other time.

Veelk

Banned
I've noticed her damage output is amazing, but going in is not good. Unless you Gunstinger (because I forget her name for it) -> Ground Zero. Then s'all good.

Lady is a really interesting character to play as, but none of the immediately available modes suits her I think.

Devil hunter is too easy and sparse with enemies. Its essentially a shooting gallery and quite boring on it's own.

Legendary Dark Knight is really fun in wide open area's. I bitched about the Frosts earlier, but now that I have gotten the hang of it, it's kind of interesting playing keep away while firing off from a distance. They're still fucking assholes, but I'm intrigued by this strange cat and mouse game we play. But in close quarters, I have no idea what is happening. There's just a bunch of movement and I'm trying to explode the shit out of the entire area. It's just chaos. A good sweet spot might be on Son of Sparda or Lady Must Die.

I think they stumbled onto an action play style character that I haven't ever seen before. You're supposed to remain at distance as enemies try to get closer to you. It's almost like a super actiony version of tower defense. The only thing is, like others have noted, is that Lady REALLY needs one or two more evasive moves. I feel this is may be a potential to some legitimate innovation on the action game front. I would love to have a whole game designed around Lady.

That boss is a complete joke no matter who you play as

True, but it became a comedy routine with her.

I think they stumbled onto an action play style character that I haven't ever seen before. You're supposed to remain at distance as enemies try to get closer to you. It's almost like a super actiony version of tower defense. The only thing is, like others have noted, is that Lady REALLY needs one or two more evasive moves. I feel this is may be a potential to some legitimate innovation on the action game front. I would love to have a whole game designed around Lady.

The main reason I've wanted to play Lady was because I've wanted something like this for a while: Character-Action keep away. I'm glad the idea came into fruition so well despite the flaws in level designs and such. Some work and it could be a new style to the genre.

If anyone knows of any game with a similar style, let me know.

Seyavesh

all these dudes saying going in with lady ain't good like the quickest way to kill everything isn't level 3 shotgun charge->enemy step->point blank shots x n

That final Sanctus fight with Lady is such fucking horseshit at the end. Burned through 2 gold orbs on that mother fucker. Weirdly enough, it still gave me an S rank. Not complaining, though.

Oh well, Lady/Trish campaign is now complete. Shame I only got 19 kills during the credits sequence. But at least that's done. All that's left is to wrap up Vergil in the next couple days then start preparing for the GAF True Style tournament.

You just gotta find the right weapons to use and when.

Here is my Lady against him on LDK.

http://youtu.be/FyRa_wkxRsI

all these dudes saying going in with lady ain't good like the quickest way to kill everything isn't level 3 shotgun charge->enemy step->point blank shots x n

Yeah, Lady's shotgun is devestating at close range. And if you corner trap an enemy with fireworks you can juggle them all day. It even works on the last boss.

Lady is a really interesting character to play as, but none of the immediately available modes suits her I think.

Devil hunter is too easy and sparse with enemies. Its essentially a shooting gallery and quite boring on it's own.

Legendary Dark Knight is really fun in wide open area's. I bitched about the Frosts earlier, but now that I have gotten the hang of it, it's kind of interesting playing keep away while firing off from a distance. They're still fucking assholes, but I'm intrigued by this strange cat and mouse game we play. But in close quarters, I have no idea what is happening. There's just a bunch of movement and I'm trying to explode the shit out of the entire area. It's just chaos. A good sweet spot might be on Son of Sparda or Lady Must Die.

I agree based on my experience so far.
True, but it became a comedy routine with her.
I played through first with Vergil, and boy does "________ Swords" just destroy him. Seriously. Blistering, Spiral, anything. Wrecks his shit.

Veelk

Banned
You know, I'm really surprised Lady doesn't have a pull enemy towards you move.

She already has a grappling hook she uses to launch herself to other places. You'd think it'd be obvious.

Top Bottom