• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

What controls should I have for Lady? I have Nero's gun at R2 for the charge but Lady can also switch weapons. Does L2 also switch weapons? What about Vergil? Can he stay on default?

I swap shoot to R2 for Lady. Her L2 is also a weapon swap so it's fine.

I have Vergil on default and it works okay. His spiral swords come out fast so it's easy to do them on default.

BadWolf

What controls should I have for Lady? I have Nero's gun at R2 for the charge but Lady can also switch weapons. Does L2 also switch weapons? What about Vergil? Can he stay on default?

For Lady I put:

- Lock-on L1
- Guns on R1
- DT on Square

The rest is default.

Working well so far, both lock on and holding the gun button down for charging feel good (reminiscent of a TPS where you aim with L1 and shoot with R1).

Angry Guy

What is the point of letting Vergil sheath his sword? In DMC3 Special it boosted your style and DT but I don't see any boost to his style or concentration (beyond what you'd get for just standing there) in this game. Haven't tested for DT yet. Am I crazy?

Also, the hell is he saying when he does rapid slash? I can tell two of the voice clips are "Die." and "So slow." but the third is a mystery to me.

Edit: It does recover DT but I could have sworn I saw somewhere that it's supposed to give a huge concentration and style boost.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Is there any way to change the descriptions to English in the Asian copy of the game? It seems odd that they would sell the game with full English on the cover and yet have Japanese to describe whatever menu option does.

What is the point of letting Vergil sheath his sword? In DMC3 Special it boosted your style and DT but I don't see any boost to his style or concentration (beyond what you'd get for just standing there) in this game. Haven't tested for DT yet. Am I crazy?

Also, the hell is he saying when he does rapid slash? I can tell two of the voice clips are "Die." and "So slow." but the third is a mystery to me.

Edit: It does recover DT but I could have sworn I saw somewhere that it's supposed to give a huge concentration and style boost.
Sheathing his sword blows up the grim swords embedded in enemies too.

He also says Scum with rapid slash.

Eh, it's not that bad. It's a bit heavier but you could max out the old game on a toaster.

That's the thing. If the original version ran at a rock-solid 60 fps at max settings on a given machine, there's no reason for the same machine to essentially not be able to play the game at all even on the lowest possible settings. It's really absurd that this one turned so unoptimized.

Dahbomb

So is there a dollar amount I can pay to just unlock full on PS4? I have zero desire to level.
Yeah. I believe $1.50 for all the modes and I think $3 to get enough Souls to get all the skills.

She shouldn't.

The characters should be more unique and I hope they expand on that in the future.
It's fine to be honest. Most characters have a Stinger equivalent to get in, a Helm Breaker equivalent etc. You gotta have the basic tools in the game. DMC4 and forward have made these grapple like moves standard tools. Either you have a grapple or a teleport.

It destroys all embedded Summoned Swords on the enemies. Very powerful after DT'd Rapid Slashes as every Rapid Slash embeds a few swords into the enemies it passes through.

The sheath animation can also be Just Frame Judgment Cut'd on particular moves, so as soon as he starts sheathing you hold the button and let go as soon as he's down sheathing.

Just wanted to post and say I loaded this up last night, changed all the graphics to high and at 1080p it looks GREAT. Plus is that it runs super smooth. Can't wait to play it soon. Busy all weekend :(

myco666

Want to play this but it apparently needs still to be installed so can't play anything other than first mission. Atleast I can practice little bit haha.

Strategies for Blitz as Trish? Lol.

I got him to his red lightning form a couple of times. I've basically just been attempting to play keep away with shooting and V Divider. When he loses his shield I do round trip + electrical dance

Not sure if there's anything more effective than that.

EDIT: Alright just killed it. Apparently red = self destruct mode? Weird, but works for me

TreIII

Played four more missions with Lady, she is so freaking fun and a total beast. That damage.

Love the feedback her weapons give you, both when shooting and with how the enemies react, it feels like they got hit by a truck (even the ice dudes). She rips through all enemy types equally well so far.

The style of play they came up with her here is excellent, some people want her to be much faster or be able to snatch like Nero but imo that is very much unnecessary (it makes sense for those characters to be faster and stronger physically). The way she feels now is unique both in the game and the genre in general.

The only additions I would make for her are more unique moves, but that is of course best left for DMC5 (I will be REALLY bummed if she isn't playable there).

Imo she is also beginner friendly as long as you know the basics of dodging in DMC (with jumping) and shouldn't be too hard to learn for people who are more accustomed to shooters than action games.

Sounds awesome!

My Pizza Box is sitting next to me at my desk at work, and I can't wait to dig into this puppy after work today.

biteren

Use Devil Bringer and spin the FUCK outta those pieces of shit and chuck them.

ive been doing this alot but those jerks machine gun those icicles my way, i do that and a combo of charge pistol lvl3 to help. it really sucks that Nero doesnt have a GTFO attack or weapon thats good (shotgun fixes those ice bastards real good)

Yeah. I believe $1.50 for all the modes and I think $3 to get enough Souls to get all the skills.

It's fine to be honest. Most characters have a Stinger equivalent to get in, a Helm Breaker equivalent etc. You gotta have the basic tools in the game. DMC4 and forward have made these grapple like moves standard tools. Either you have a grapple or a teleport.

It destroys all embedded Summoned Swords on the enemies. Very powerful after DT'd Rapid Slashes as every Rapid Slash embeds a few swords into the enemies it passes through.

The sheath animation can also be Just Frame Judgment Cut'd on particular moves, so as soon as he starts sheathing you hold the button and let go as soon as he's down sheathing.
Is this the key to the just frame timing on his judgement cuts? His air rave slash is fairly easy to time but the other slashes not so much...

Dahbomb

To get snatch, Nero's DT, and Dante's weapons/firearms you need to do story still

Probably shouldn't have used the word "abilities", but you get where I'm going now hopefully lol

You still have to traverse the campaign to get Dante's weapons and some of Nero's abilities (DT and Snatch).

Ah I see.

Is this the key to the just frame timing on his judgement cuts? His air rave slash is fairly easy to time but the other slashes not so much...
From what I have seen the timing for the Just Frames is earlier than what you think. He charges it up pretty quickly.

ShinMaruku

ive been doing this alot but those jerks machine gun those icicles my way, i do that and a combo of charge pistol lvl3 to help. it really sucks that Nero doesnt have a GTFO attack or weapon thats good (shotgun fixes those ice bastards real good)

Generally I try to launch them or knock them back then grab one and when spinng them I hit a bunch of them as he spins and it should kill that one and 2 others.

wait for his sword to fully charge blue
it has to be at the very moment it turns dark blue then let it loose
practice using the dashing slash(whatever its called)
youll hear a sound like hmmmdundun
like a whirling sound to indicate you got it right

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
ok...I must be missing something...

I keep trying to do one of Vergil's beginning Force Edge combos (sorry I can't think of the name right now) but it never works...you have to press YY then it says to tap Y after to do a combo that ends with what looks like a lot of hits in a row as you press but I can never get it to do the final multi hit part
After the second hit and during the delay, switch your finger positioning and mash y with your index finger when the animation of the last attack ends. I can't pull it off with my thumb in turbo.

gunbo13

Damn, unlock all modes doesn't count for missions. What a waste.

Why can't there just be a max the damn game $5 cost, no nonsense. I'll pay for that Capcom.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is there any way to change the descriptions to English in the Asian copy of the game? It seems odd that they would sell the game with full English on the cover and yet have Japanese to describe whatever menu option does.

Are you playing on a US or Asian account?

I have the Asian version, and as soon as I chose English when the game started up, every single thing in the game is in English, including descriptions. I'm not sure why it's not working for you.

Sorry if it's been answered before but how do you beat the secret mission in which you have to build style without using any attacks. I taunt with Vergil and he pulls out the sword during animation and causes me to fail the mission.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sorry if it's been answered before but how do you beat the secret mission in which you have to build style without using any attacks. I taunt with Vergil and he pulls out the sword during animation and causes me to fail the mission.

It's probably best suited for a character like Nero. He can use Snatch, Tablehopper, Enemy Step, and the grab&hold move to build Style while taunting.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Are you playing on a US or Asian account?

I have the Asian version, and as soon as I chose English when the game started up, every single thing in the game is in English, including descriptions. I'm not sure why it's not working for you.
EU, here. Probably might have had to do with me downloading the DLC from my Hong Kong account before booting up the game. I'll give it a do over and see what happens.

BadWolf

You are better off doing that one with Nero, he gets an ability which makes that a breeze.

Hold the enemy up as a shield when you get the Aegis ability

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I just hit Earth Defense Force levels of slowdown in the PS4 version during LDK mode. I'm talking single digit frames. I hope that doesn't happen too often.

Damn, unlock all modes doesn't count for missions. What a waste.

Why can't there just be a max the damn game $5 cost, no nonsense. I'll pay for that Capcom.

I feel you. I've beaten this game a million fucking times, I have zero desire to do it again.

MCD

OK. I have an annoying problem on Xbox One.

Whenever the "Saving" text appears on the power up/mission start menu, game freezes for a brief moment.

I thought it was my Xbox acting up last night but it's happening every time so apparently it isn't.

My game is installed via external HDD if it matters.

Is this a known issue?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did a clean install and save delete. Nope. Descriptions still in Japanese.

Ed: Ahhh. I think I found out why.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-676775/psa-for-those-outside-the-us-importing-asian-versi-1774392/

Now I have to deal with missing "U's", and "Z's" in place of "S's" if I want to play the game in full English.

Thank you for finding that. I was trying to find a solution for you without any luck, hah.

Someone else was having the same issue in this thread before. I'll try to shoot them a PM about it.

Afrocious

LDK makes Devil Hunter a walk in the park, but I think I'll finish up Devil Hunter on Vergil instead since dying all the time when I simply have to git gud annoys me.

Also, maybe I'm garbage but Belial w/ Vergil on LDK destroys me. I beat him, but he's not easy. I get up in his face and can wreck him, but he does that explosion attack too quickly that I can't run away. He also does that move where spikes of fire come out from underneath you.

Any tips on this fuck?

LDK makes Devil Hunter a walk in the park, but I think I'll finish up Devil Hunter on Vergil instead since dying all the time when I simply have to git gud annoys me.

Also, maybe I'm garbage but Belial w/ Vergil on LDK destroys me. I beat him, but he's not easy. I get up in his face and can wreck him, but he does that explosion attack too quickly that I can't run away. He also does that move where spikes of fire come out from underneath you.

Any tips on this fuck?

you can really teleport through all of his attacks, the only thing you have to worry about are the two things you mentioned, the explosion and the fire pillars. Both of those have pretty easy to read start ups, so you just need to be aware. For the fire pillars just run around and you won't get hit, and for the explosion, worst case scenario if you are really close, you can time a devil trigger to gain invincibility and not get hurt (at least I think I tend to do that from time to time)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
you can really teleport through all of his attacks, the only thing you have to worry about are the two things you mentioned, the explosion and the fire pillars. Both of those have pretty easy to read start ups, so you just need to be aware. For the fire pillars just run around and you won't get hit, and for the explosion, worst case scenario if you are really close, you can time a devil trigger to gain invincibility and not get hurt (at least I think I tend to do that from time to time)

I believe that only works with Nero, since his burst DT gives him unique cancelability and i-frames. Vergil can do his Judgment Cut (END) since that has extended i-frames.

For the pillars, just run around without lock-on. For the explosion, just be aware when he collapses that he's going to do it soon and get clear. If you have DT, you can also activate it and use Trick Down to back up quickly from him.

Hmm sounds like LDK mode is where the craziness is at but for now i'll stick to devil hunter so i can learn the ropes.

Also what's the best moves to buy for Nero right now (Mission 4) i have his stinger equivalent currently.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Thank you for finding that. I was trying to find a solution for you without any luck, hah.

Someone else was having the same issue in this thread before. I'll try to shoot them a PM about it.
I'M HELPING, I'M HELPING!

I'd like to see Capcom bring out a fix...but I doubt that appealing to a rather niche need would be that massive of a priority. Actually, doesn't Hong Kong use British English, what, with it once being ruled by the Queen and all?

BadWolf

Iirc in the E3 streams for the game, Itsuno mentioned interest in a pool cue weapon. Not sure if posted but just noticed this on Lady's wiki:

Lady is shown to be an avid billiards player. She is shown several times playing it, the first time being in the second volume of manga[4] and the second time in the anime.[5] She is a capable player, able to strategically make a complicated strike to win a bet.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hmm sounds like LDK mode is where the craziness is at but for now i'll stick to devil hunter so i can learn the ropes.

Also what's the best moves to buy for Nero right now (Mission 4).

My suggestion is any ground combos that look interesting to you (C is a good immediate choice), Speed, Streak, Split, Snatch 2, Roulette Spin, Charge Shot 2&3, Max-ACT, Exceed 2&3, Shuffle, and Calibur, probably around that order. I'd prioritize Enemy Step depending on how comfortable you are with the mechanic.

And people really shouldn't start on LDK anyway unless they're fluent with the game already.

Any ground combos that look interesting to you (B is a good immediate choice), Speed, Streak, Split, Charge Shot 2&3, Max-ACT, Snatch 2, Shuffle, and Calibur, probably in that order. I'd prioritize Enemy Step depending on how comfortable you are with the mechanic.

hmmm, will check those out

Also Enemy Step is the move that opens up the jump canceling stuff right?

Top Bottom