• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry vs Ninja Gaiden...FIGHT!

ElyrionX

Now that a good amount of time has passed since the release of Ninja Gaiden, which game do GAFers think truly owned the action genre this gen?

Devil May Cry:

+ Awesome action with an overdose of style and flair from Dante
+ Great variety of weapons and skills (lightning sword? flame gauntlets? rebounding laser gun? hell yeah!)
+ Good balance between long-range and melee fighting
+ Memorable boss fights (Nero Angelo, anyone?)
+ Great gothic setting
+ Great music
- Bad camera sometimes
- Occasional cheesey dialouge

Ninja Gaiden:

+ Strong gameplay dynamics (everything felt "right")
+ Unbeatable graphics
+ Interesting mix of weapons
- Skewed difficulty
- You can go through the entire game only using the Dragon sword
- Repetitive at times (you can go through the entire game only using Izuka Drop and Flying Sparrow (?))

MrparisSM

Banned
Ninja Gaiden of course!

There are a LOT more pluses that should be added to the Ninja Gaiden side. It's as if you haven't really play it at all...

Jim Bowie

Ninja Gaiden by a mile.

You said it right. Everything just felt so right. Devil May Cry was still a bit clusmy, IMO. But they're both great games.

ElyrionX

MrparisSM said:
Ninja Gaiden of course!

There are a LOT more pluses that should be added to the Ninja Gaiden side. It's as if you haven't really play it at all...

I confess that I only played till Chapter 13. I got bored of it after that.

And those were the only points I could think of on a whim. Did not really put much thought into those. Just some random points to get things started.

Oh, and its definitely DMC for me.

i got a few hours into ninja gaiden. i didn't like it very much.

devil may cry 1 was awesome. i loved the game and still feel it is one of the top action games of the 128-bit generation

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DMC, although I've yet to finish Ninja Gaiden. It didn't seem like the greatest action game as many people dub it, but I've yet to finish it so I might change my mind

And if I can choose it, I'd pick Viewtiful Joe over the two, and Zone of the Enders 2 over all of them

MrparisSM

Banned
ElyrionX said:
I confess that I only played till Chapter 13. I got bored of it after that.

And those were the only points I could think of on a whim. Did not really put much thought into those. Just some random points to get things started.

Oh, and its definitely DMC for me.

Ok, well to help some of your pluses for Ninja Gaiden out. Add these:

+ The boss battles.
+ difficulty(The difficulty was a plus not a minus)
+ combo variety(there were like 20+ moves per weapon.)
+ Downloadble content(the two hurricane packs)
+ The controls were perfect
+ Enemies actually had some intelligence.
+ Some of the best FMV I've ever seen in a game.

Wario64 said:
DMC, although I've yet to finish Ninja Gaiden. It didn't seem like the greatest action game as many people dub it, but I've yet to finish it so I might change my mind

And if I can choose it, I'd pick Viewtiful Joe over the two, and Zone of the Enders 2 over all of them

I agree on all points.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i got a few hours into ninja gaiden. i didn't like it very much.

devil may cry 1 was awesome. i loved the game and still feel it is one of the top action games of the 128-bit generation

Yeah. Although technically, this isn't the 128-bit generation, since the PS2 is the only 128-bit console. :p

But yeah, my vote's also DMC1. Will be DMC3 soon, though.

ElyrionX

Wario64 said:

I didn't throw VJ into the mix because it was essentially 2D and did not truly represent the transition from 2D action into 3D action that this gen has brought.

Also, ZOE2 completely slipped my mind. For me, its a close fight between ZOE2 and DMC but its still DMC for me. IMO, DMC>ZOE2>NG

MrparisSM

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Most of those moves were just slight variations of one another. That does not really count, IMO.

:lol Ok you obviously haven't delved deep into the game. I'm sorry. Every weapon performed and played differently, including the different moves for each weapon. I personally couldn't wait to level up each weapon to see what new moves I would get. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You forgot another plus for Ninja Gaiden

+ BOOBIES

And speaking of DMC's soundtrack, the CD's are finally released but in limited quantities I think. Took them forever to release a soundtrack

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ElyrionX said:
Most of those moves were just slight variations of one another. That does not really count, IMO.

What a load of C R A P. You clearly are lying through your teeth about playing it, or your just dumb as shit, either way ugh.

Oh and Ninja Gaiden is much better then DMC.

Ninja gaiden

DMC was my second fav PS2 game (Behind the GTA series) and honestly I even enjoyed DMC2 (didnt really see why people hated it so much other than the very shittacular camera angles and jagfest of graphics).

But after playing through Ninja gaiden, DMC felt...blandish.

peace

+ Difficulty, you got your money's in replay in atleast one completion so it wasn't a game you beat and trade the next day.
+ Connected World instead of "missions"
+ Weapons/Moves had a larger impact in usefulness then DMC did, in DMC most of it seemed like flash.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I say let's wait for DMC 3, then we'll compare. :)

Oh, and speaking of difficulty. Why mention Ninja Gaiden but not DMC when it comes to difficulty? Dante Must Die? :|

Prine

Banned
Kanbee-san said:
Hmm .... DMC for me.

Even though the static backdrops were used it still kicked ass.

Guns >>> Ninja's.

Shuri-kens >>> guns :p

Ninja Gaiden for the better combat and cooler levels

J2 Cool

DMC. Amazing boss battles and the rematches with them throughout with tougher difficulty was sweet. I loved Dante, the environments, the weapons and powers, the enemies, the art, the cheesy dialogue, everything. I personally didnt think the camera was too bad either when you got used to it. The game just blew me away. I went in when it launched based on its high praises and a kick ass demo but I so expected it just to wet my appetite for GTA and MGS2 coming after it. It ended up being just as good as both about, though GTAIII stood a tad taller than all that year.

Ninja Gaiden meanwhile was good but not THAT good.

J2 Cool said:
DMC. Amazing boss battles and the rematches with them throughout with tougher difficulty was sweet.

um...wtf? dmc boss battles sucked....the one thing i hated about dmc because of the boss battles...

i liked fighting normal enemies in dmc, thats where the game was fun for me.

Ninja gaiden boss battles were much much better.

firex

ninja gaiden is better, because ryu > dante, who will be writing in a livejournal for DMC3 about how he loves linkin park and staind.

Ninja Gaiden. The combat felt more engaging. The enemies were more varied and more interesting. The environmentsw were far more varied. I wouldn't say any one area was more interesting than DMC's, but they covered a lot of bases and each was at least as good. Parts of the game were layed out like Onimusha, others like Zelda dungeons, others like Metroid Prime, and yet others like I don;t know what, maybe MGS without stealth..?, but anyways it all worked. Oh, and how could I forget the platforming and ledge handig? Tsk Tsk...
DMC is still great though.

Ninja Gaiden.

The main reason for me was the lightning-fast control and, especially, the depth of combat...not only the sheer amount of moves and the variety in the combo list, but that enemies felt smart and really challenged you...where DMC 1 & 2 never felt quite as engaged or varied in combat.

DMC 1 was the best action title this gen until NG showed up. I'm looking forward to playing DMC 3, though.

Prine

Banned
Oh yeah. Ninja Gaiden bosses were insane, reminded me of the 16 bit days.

NG Bosses >>>> DMC Bosses

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ninja Gaiden was a superior game in every way, I believe. DMC was simply too rooted in Resident Evil style progression, and I disliked that aspect. Gaiden was a full blown adventure that spanned an entire city and the areas around it.

The combat was far more enjoyable, the level design was better, and the game was much longer. It was an amazing experience.

I really didn't enjoy DMC all that much (well, it was still good...but there were times when I just didn't want to play it).

Cathcart

"Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden vs Da Bears."
"Are da Bears using the Ditka sword?"
"Of course!"
"Then I gotta go with da Bears."
"Da Bears sword!"

I would picked NG but I need to say that DMC contribute tramendously to the re-establishment of 2D action game in 3D. DMC is the first real good attempt to take the feel of 2D beat'em up and expand it in 3D.

CVXFREAK said:
Onimusha 2 and 3 shit all over those two

vomit-smiley-023.gif

Anyway, can't decide between DMC1 and Ninja Gaiden...both are hellish fun.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DMC is the first real good attempt to take the feel of 2D beat'em up and expand it in 3D.

Yet they made the mistake of surrounding the combat with a Resident Evil game...

Top Bottom