• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

cj_iwakura

amamicity.png

Somewhere in Japan, a heavily populated region known as Amami City
has been founded with the notion of guiding its population into the 21st Century.
As of recent, its citizens have been left far behind the times of the cybernetic revolution.

Until now.

hacking2.png

Thanks to the revolutionary software known as the Krypto Chip, Algon Software is proud to bring Amami City into an unprecedented level of network integration.

Welcome to the future.

Welcome to Paradigm X.

Welcome to the world of...

main.jpg

Before entering Amami City, those of us at Algon Software wish all of its citizens to have extensive knowledge of this region's historical significance.

To that end, we have constructed the following data readouts, to be made readily accessible to any and all denizens, new and old alike.

main2.jpg

SoulHackersUS.jpg

JP: 08/30/2012
US Release Date: 04/16/2013
EU: [TBA]
Availability: Cartridge & E-Shop

GoHqdlt.jpg

Nintendolife - 9/10
IGN - 7.8/10
Cub3d - 7/10
RPGFan - 79%
Destructoid - 8.5/10

Soul Hackers was originally released for the Sega Saturn in 1997.

A year afterward, it received a port/upgrade to the Sony Playstation, which included some extra quests and a few nasty optional bosses.

This is the version that was rumored to be up for localization, as even advertised in select publications at the time.

Sadly, that never came to be.

15 years later... we have our chance.

vvHwdWV.png

Soul Hackers' gameplay is a mixture of first-person dungeon crawling and turn-based RPG combat, mixed with a healthy dose of demon summoning and negotiation.

5GRBRpY.png

Demons thrive on Magnetite, which is gotten after each battle. Magnetite can either be traded in for currency(at a wicked 1/10 ratio), or used to keep your demons going.

When you have your demons summoned and you walk around with them, they cost Mag to keep active.

This isn't as bad as it sounds. As demons' levels and loyalty increase, the cost decreases, and certain demons cost nothing to keep around.

vm3MMZJ.png

Besides, you'll find the Main and Nemissa can be enough to keep the wolves at bay, more often than not.

Negotiation is also fairly simplified, though determining what can and can't make a demon happy can be a tricky affair...

Frjb0Od.png

On the bright side, if they like you(conveyed via a happy face icon), it makes it a lot more likely that they'll befriend you.

As a bonus, demons that have already joined you will automatically leave if you talk with them, and sometimes hook you up!

Weapons and spells all have unique visual effects, and the enemies even get differently rendered deaths based on how you killed them.

Fusion is made especially simple. Similarly as in Strange Journey, it's done on the fly through a handheld device; the GUMP(GUn CoMPuter) Application.

Td0hI3O.png

main3.jpg

What follows are the dossiers of Amami City's most recognizable figures.

Whether they are to be your best friend or your worst enemy is all up to you.

spbanner.png

A rag-tag group of freelance hackers, who delve into the archives of
Algon Software and soon find they are in way over their collective heads...

psbanner.png

A society of occultists dating back so far into the past that their existence has gone from rumor to legend. If they truly are operating in Amami City, it does not bode well.

And there are others still...

16th.jpg
32th.jpg

The taciturn mad scientist known as Victor, and his obedient maid, Mary.

No one can truly say what they are planning in their secretive lair... not even a Kuzunoha.

main4.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner

1.jpg

Devil Summoner began as a side-story game to Atlus' core Shin Megami Tensei franchise.

An investigator known as Kyouji Kuzunoha and his wayward partner Rei Reiho are hot on the trail of a madman serial killer known only as Sid.

2N4QXqd.jpg

What is he after? Why does he want Kyouji dead?

And most importantly, how is Kyouji alive when Sid already killed him?

8.jpg

Sadly, Devil Summoner has yet to be localized, even after receiving a direct port to the PSP. The gameplay is quite dated, but the story absolutely has its charms.

Although tangential, there are certainly some references to the original game in SH, so knowing this history will prove useful.

Devil Summoner [3 & 4]: Raidou Kuzunoha VS The Soulless Army / The Abaddon King

250px-SMTRaidou.jpg
thoveCs.jpg

This was the first game in the Devil Summoner series to receive localization, meaning it's the one with which most US players are likely familiar.

Turning a turn-based first-person RPG into a real-time action RPG, the Raidou Kuzunoha titles follow the adventures of early 1900s-era Kuzunoha Detective, Raidou, and his quests to keep his city safe from demons, summoners, suspicious blonde gentlemen, and crazed Russian monks.

The gameplay of the first isn't for everyone, but it has quite a good story, and the sequel has significantly improved mechanics to boot.

main5.jpg

It is a time of celebration for Amami City's population. Algon Software's technological advances promise free wi-fi terminals accessible throughout the city, allowing the height of technology to become open to any citizen. Regardless of location, know-how, or even standing in society, anyone in Amami is now fully connected.

b1jbKi6.jpg

The height of this monumental achievement? Paradigm X, a fully interactive 3D world accessible from any terminal in the city.

uLeb4Cw.jpg

Interact with an entire community in full sensory 3D without ever leaving the keyboard.

LYn1Ap6.jpg

We'll be unveiling more about Paradigm X at its grand debut, so please be excited.

main6.jpg

Original Opening

3DS Opening

Story Trailer

Gameplay Trailer

Moonspeak Trailer

And, for something completely different...

Music

Tenkai Airport (Reality)

2D Field / City Map

Spookies

IbnCrZL.png
yg2F9A4.png
Suyx7DG.png
yc8zD9q.png
YmOWxWI.png

N6AGASo.png
3SQpPiW.png
iDyX5f7.png
L1l7Krg.png
G9Y3Xcw.png

l3so0wX.png
PmiSfON.png
Pa9VJto.png
msAeIA2.png
L4cpDsP.png

VN1lknB.png
d5PZ764.png
TKGrnuW.png
Xc3n34p.png
aFiK7fR.png

cF2k2oq.png
WmvaCp3.png
rzrJK2n.png
AL6JyRi.png
rlhcCTs.png

Bh5Y84Q.png
H9DvpFP.png
Fs6frrc.png
I8lbazd.png
OBlLdLY.png

Fire up those COMPs, hackers.

1365318427270.gif

Welcome to the new reality.

Special thanks to: we.are.the.armada for graphics, Gemini & Tom for trying, and Atlus USA; it was worth the wait.

ohlawd

eff nooooo I'm gonna be at least a week late in getting this game.

Don't finish this game without me guys ;_;

zroid

Banned
Had to choose between Soul Hackers and Pandora's Tower.

...PT won :(

I'll pick this up eventually...

Alright I have a question about this game.

I did not like Persona 1 or 2. At all.

I thought Strange Journey was pretty cool, but I never finished it (probably played like 12 hours of it)

Do you think I would like this game? Also how extensive of a story is there, I can't really tell. Not a deal breaker either way if the story is heavy or light though. A comment on its quality would be nice too.

Sophia

Still on the fence if I want this or not. Good OT tho, CJ.

I thought Strange Journey was pretty cool, but I never finished it (probably played like 12 hours of it)

Do you think I would like this game? Also how extensive of a story is there, I can't really tell. Not a deal breaker either way if the story is heavy or light though. A comment on its quality would be nice too.

Strange Journey is basically a spiritual successor to Soul Hackers. If you liked Strange Journey for it's gameplay, you'll like Soul Hackers too. Soul Hackers is easier, and more story heavy than Strange Journey was tho.

Had this pre-ordered since like, December, but after Sophia and Buddha showed me some gameplay videos, I've been on the fence...

If I do end up getting this, it'll probably be a few months down the road and potentially off the eShop.

I feel bad, but while the story interests me, I'm not too keen on the first person dungeon crawling. I wasn't too keen on it in the EO4 demo, not sure how I'd feel on this.

cj_iwakura

This is more like SJ than P1 or P2, but the atmosphere is all its own. Cyberpunk.

Story is heavy, way more than SJ. I love it, but color me biased.

Vamphuntr

I have it preordered! Excited to finally play it in English.

Hopefully there is actually a manual and a club nintendo code in the case. (my EO4 had neither).

I know the JPN release had an insert with the basic commands and the fusion chart. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nags

Banned
I never got a confirmation for preordering from GameStop... I'm worried they're gonna bone me on this one. Every time I've preordered over they years I've gotten fucked somehow, an opened game, not getting the preorder bonus...

Buy digital and physical. Treat yourself, you deserve it.

Moonlight

Banned
Great job on the OT, Iwakura.

I preordered as soon as I was able. I am so ready for this. I really adore the concept, being that I love cyberpunk and love SMT.

I'm also glad that I started EO4 before this. I was kinda apprehensive about first person dungeon crawling beforehand, but having gotten familiar with the perspective, I'm ready to go all in on this hype train.

Strange Journey is basically a spiritual successor to Soul Hackers. If you liked Strange Journey for it's gameplay, you'll like Soul Hackers too. Soul Hackers is easier, and more story heavy than Strange Journey was tho.
This is more like SJ than P1 or P2, but the atmosphere is all its own. Cyberpunk.

Story is heavy, way more than SJ. I love it, but color me biased.

Thanks you two. Gameplay like Strange Journey, but Easier and more story driven sounds like something i'd be interested in.

Seda

Still on the fence if I want this or not. Good OT tho, CJ.

Is Strange Journey considered difficult? I'm in the D-section and so far it's been absolute cake. I'm having a much easier time than I did playing Nocturne for example. I also have a ton more Chakra Drops and Revival Beads than I ever had in Nocturne.

Being more used to the series now probably helps though.

ohlawd

I never got a confirmation for preordering from GameStop... I'm worried they're gonna bone me on this one. Every time I've preordered over they years I've gotten fucked somehow, an opened game, not getting the preorder bonus...

Try preordering your stuff at a different Gamestop? I had the same problem but it's not a big deal since it just adds another 20 mins to my travel time.

Is there a release date set? Not seeing it in the OP.

April 16th, 2013.

Vamphuntr

So what did they change in the streetpass features from the JPN release? Nich was saying about how they modified it in the localized version and I was wondering what changed. Was it possible to get D-souls using play coins in the original or was the only way to acquire them was to streetpass people?

Sophia

Is Strange Journey considered difficult? I'm in the D-section and so far it's been absolute cake. I'm having a much easier time than I did playing Nocturne for example. I also have a ton more Chakra Drops and Revival Beads than I ever had in Nocturne.

Being more used to the series now probably helps though.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Have fun in Sector Eridanus. :p

I wouldn't say Strange Journey is as difficult as Nocturne, but it's up there. Soul Hackers on the other hand is on the easier side for a MegaTen game.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Completely forgot this was coming out so soon, and with SMT4 coming out in July or whatever... god damn too much Fatlus.

Seda

Ha. Ha. Ha. Have fun in Sector Eridanus. :p

I wouldn't say Strange Journey is as difficult as Nocturne, but it's up there. Soul Hackers on the other hand is on the easier side for a MegaTen game.

Good. It was boring just auto-battling everything.

Very nice OT. I'm definitely on board day 1 for this one. Been playing through Strange Journey to get in the mood for this.

Mind if I take this avatar?
L1l7Krg.png

Masahiro Sakurai?

I could pick this up, maybe if I grab injustice I'll get this too. Drowning in games right now. Still deciding.

While Devil Summoner 1 has a few connections to Soul Hackers, it directly mentions some characters from SMT 1, such as Ambasador Thorman and Gotou.

chrono01

Nice OT, thanks.

I have this one pre-ordered, and am planning on picking up Pandora's Tower sometime next month.

Here's hoping they don't immediately sell out and I face a "Xenoblade incident".

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
First Devil Summoner doesn't get enough love. Enjoy your annoying demon loyalty system in the original Saturn release!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Nice OT, thanks.

I have this one pre-ordered, and am planning on picking up Pandora's Tower sometime next month.

Here's hoping they don't immediately sell out and I face a "Xenoblade incident".
Considering it's not exclusive to GS like XB was and has a digital version available, highly unlikely.

chrono01

Considering it's not exclusive to GS like XB was and has a digital version available, highly unlikely.

True enough.

I know The Last Story was available for a pretty decent amount of time, and that was a "Special Edition". Pandora's Tower also isn't as popular as Xenoblade [Operation Rainfall undoubtedly helped spread word of its existence], and let's face it, Xenoblade is near perfection.

Still, I won't wait too long before picking my copy up, but Soul Hackers comes first.

I know this has been asked a ton already, but how difficult is this game compared to SMT1, SMT2, and Strange Journey? Easier?

And does this have both openings?

kunonabi

so excited for this. i'm trying to finish up as much of my backlog as i can so just spend the couple weeks with SH. i never thought i'd see the day i could play it in english.

Are there multiple human party members in this? Can someone give me the battle party breakdown? It looks like six people in battle at once?

cj_iwakura

I know this has been asked a ton already, but how difficult is this game compared to SMT1, SMT2, and Strange Journey? Easier?

And does this have both openings?

It's much easier than SJ. Harder than SMT1&2, but they're broken as heck thanks to charm bullets. (SMT2 less so, but still, I thought it was a cinch.)

And...
YES! :D

Top Bottom