• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Only playing this for the story and so far on easy mode I've made it to the airport only using AUTO mode for battles and doing no fusion. hope I can keep this up.

Speaking of Nemechi, how many times can it evolve? I feel like I might do something wrong here and I also want a better Demon selection too.

Five times, but there are two paths. You'll know you finished one path when you have either
Izanami
or
Lucifer Frost
available.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
How can I raise the loyalty of calm demons?

I think they're the ones you pretty much have to use items on or change their nature using liquor.

I haven't had much problem raising the loyalty of calm ones. Mostly they're okay with any move I choose. If I'm unsure I like to make them attack with Go and watch which move they choose, then use that. It has worked surprisingly well.

I have had a few Sly ones not get raised at all despite using magic and having their comments be in blue text. Bug perhaps?

vall03

Five times, but there are two paths. You'll know you finished one path when you have either
Izanami
or
Lucifer Frost
available.

How should I know which path Im in? Mines showing some sort of lady legs form or something and Im not sure what it is. Checked various sources for a guide and haven't seen anything.

Btw, I loled at the recent Reader Review in Gamefaqs. hehe

How should I know which path Im in? Mines showing some sort of lady legs form or something and Im not sure what it is. Checked various sources for a guide and haven't seen anything.

Btw, I loled at the recent Reader Review in Gamefaqs. hehe

You should have
Setanta and Chernobog
available, right? That means you're on the Cat/Girl path and you'll have finished it when you unlock
Lucifer Frost

Ok wow I'm really digging the gritty atmosphere of this game. Combined with the map system with free roaming and the districts, SH reminds me of Persona 2 a lot.

Also the music that plays when you are at Lisa's house has been recycled for the sake shop. Neat.

Moonlight

Banned
To my understanding, just the one. And it doesn't affect stats and growth, just the skills that she gets as she levels up. Upbeat = Fire/Expel, Calm = Ice/Death, and Sexy = Lightning/late-game Almighty.

ohlawd

Any way for Hitomi to go back to her old outfit?

Only at the airport still. Gawd I wasted today, I should have played more...

Unison

To my understanding, just the one. And it doesn't affect stats and growth, just the skills that she gets as she levels up. Upbeat = Fire/Expel, Calm = Ice/Death, and Sexy = Lightning/late-game Almighty.

Should I restart if I picked Calm? I hate to think I've screwed myself over... I'm only 2-3 hours in.

Moonlight

Banned
Should I restart if I picked Calm? I hate to think I've screwed myself over... I'm only 2-3 hours in.
I haven't gotten very far into the game yet (thus not the best resource), and I haven't really seen any of the other skill paths, but it might be worth it - I've seen a lot of demons thus far weak to Fire or Expel, and not a whole lot too bothered by Ice or Death.

Is there an inn or somewhere I can rest to heal everyone?

The thai restaurant in the shopping center, or you can go to the heal spot on the first floor of the Sea Ark if you've unlocked it. I generally prefer the Sea Ark because it feels like it's cheaper than the restaurant.

Any way for Hitomi to go back to her old outfit?

Only at the airport still. Gawd I wasted today, I should have played more...

Nope.

You'll be fine.

Any advice on the (non-VQ) Airport boss? I'm able to kill 2 of the demons, but I get smoked soon after.

Summon the Silkie you got from Judah's COMP and have her cast Media every turn. Have Judah's Dokkaebi spam Rakunda (you'll have to grind up his loyalty using sake first).

The ape demon on the right is really only gonna take damage from magic. It's technically weak to Hama spells, so you may try to get lucky that way.

randomkid

Two days for free super saver shipping, not bad!

I think this was my most successful blackout yet, I've started things up totally blind. Didn't even realize you were a nameless protagonist, I thought you'd be playing as the lady in the box art!

I did somehow manage to hear about freezing bugs which is super scary and kinda unacceptable to be honest, but I won't get upset unless it actually happens to me and I'm too excited to let it get me down.

The big dilemma right now is deciding whether or not to turn voices off. I like what I've heard so far in typical Atlus fashion, but I wanna hear the music (WHICH IS SO GREAT SO FAR) at full volume. Two different kinds of atmosphere... blech, don't know what I'm gonna do.

Anyways, haven't read anything in the thread so sorry if I'm rehashing stuff, I'm just pumped that I really know nothing about what's ahead. SOUL HACKERS YEAH!

KarmaCow

So I just started this after finishing some exams and I'm still very early. It seems to be fairly wordy at this point, should I expect a lot of this or does the game leave you alone after the intro?

Setre

Anyone know how long Soul Hackers is? I really like Shin Megami Tensei games but hardly ever beat them due to length.

Artemisia

Banned
I'm at
the planetarium fighting the guitar dude again
and the story really isn't grabbing me yet and just seems there. When does it really kick in?

EDIT:
oop possessed

cj_iwakura

Don't forget to check back at Spooky HQ between events, even if it's before a major dungeon, I've run into quite a few story scenes that seemed totally optional.

Soriku

Started the game, 3 hours in. It's awesome so far. Story's not bad so far, characters are cool, and battles and general loading is lightning quick. No real complaints so far except the FMVs aren't full screen for some reason and low quality. NPCs repeating lines is kinda annoying but not a big deal. I like that there's a lot of VA. Pretty happy overall.

MAG doesn't seem like a big issue so far but I don't have a full party either. I just got rid of three low level demons to make one lvl 10 demon (Seere), is that OK?

Also, when is it recommended to level up Nemechi? I haven't actually checked when I can do it (I guess I need more D-Souls?)

cj_iwakura

Sea Ark is my current favorite BGM.

Also, the FMVs are not full screen because they didn't change the resolution. Why I can only wonder.

Also, when is it recommended to level up Nemechi? I haven't actually checked when I can do it (I guess I need more D-Souls?)

you can only evolve it once every 24 hours, and there's really no reason not to because whatever demons you've unlocked will still be unlocked. of course it basically takes 20 play coins per level up so.

Soriku

you can only evolve it once every 24 hours, and there's really no reason not to because whatever demons you've unlocked will still be unlocked. of course it basically takes 20 play coins per level up so.

Can I just change the time manually?

Can you even summon Lucifroz if you're not up to his level yet?

MAG doesn't seem like a big issue so far but I don't have a full party either. I just got rid of three low level demons to make one lvl 10 demon (Seere), is that OK?

You will get plenty of MAG, so you really don't have to worry too much about it. I have 40,000 right now and I already converted a ton to yen.

Demons don't level up, so it probably wasn't a bad move to fuse them into something stronger.

Artemisia

Banned
The OST isn't that good. I'm wondering why everyone is raving about it. A lot of it sounds like background noise, and what is initially appealing quickly gets repetitive.

cj_iwakura

The OST isn't that good. I'm wondering why everyone is raving about it. A lot of it sounds like background noise, and what is initially appealing quickly gets repetitive.

It has a very unique vibe, and I love the synth/drum effects, trademark old school SMT.

Top Bottom