• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you go full VR?

Did you go full VR?

• Yes, I did

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • Well, only partially, so not "fully"

Votes: 64 40.3%
  • No, I don't play VR games

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Did you go full VR in your gaming like I did?
For me it is true "next gen" gaming.
With buying PSVR2 It finally clicked with me.
I played most of the hits on PS5 and now, with PC support, I cannot stop playing for the 15th time Skyrim, this time VR edition.

2D/NonVr Games don't exist to me now.
I hear about the greatness of Black Myth: Wukong etc, but I have no desire to stare at my TV anymore.

So, do you share any of my preferences or I am the only one on gaf with such deviation.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Hudo

Do you ignore all consoles that have exclusives also?

How about Sony and their exclusives? or Pc exclusives? or Nintendo exclusives? Or XBo.........

I mean what about Sony exclusives?
You can like the exclusives of a console manufacturer but you can also dislike how a manufacturer goes about locking your ass in their ecosystem.
I do own a Quest. And I think the way Meta design their ecosystem and its borders is pretty clumsy and bothersome. The Quest 3 itself is a nice piece of hardware, however.

The world is not black and white.

Last edited:

Resenge

You can like the exclusives of a console manufacturer but you can also dislike how a manufacturer goes about locking your ass in their ecosystem.
I do own a Quest. And I think the way Meta design their ecosystem and its borders is pretty clumsy and bothersome. The Quest 3 itself is a nice piece of hardware, however.

The world is not black and white.
I was just asking if you felt the same about other console manufacturers is all and throwing a joke in.

Last edited:
I was very into VR around 2020-2022 with two different Windows MR headsets but have tapered off significantly since then. I picked up a Quest 3 recently and while it's an impressive device it didn't solve the major hurdles of VR for me:

- General stagnation of software. I haven't been wowed since Half-Life Alyx in 2020 and nothing has come close since.
- PC VR is finicky. I could have everything set up the way I need it then a week later something has changed and theres a new problem. I've stopped playing sim racing titles in VR because of how unreliable everything was.
- VR is more involved than I'd like. At the end of the day I want to relax on the couch with a controller in my hand. I'm not reaching for my headset because of that.

Hudo

I was just asking if you felt the same about other console manufacturers is all and throwing a joke in. chill.
I am not even the guy, dude. I don't have any stakes in this conversation. I was just trying to provide you with a perspective. Chill, dude.

Three

Games that have a VR mode I play in VR but if I went full VR then I would be missing out on a lot of good games without a VR mode so partial for me.

Shtef

I would love to get vr headset but i am still not sure if i should go with psvr2 or quest 3, i own both ps5 and pc.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I was very into VR around 2020-2022 with two different Windows MR headsets but have tapered off significantly since then. I picked up a Quest 3 recently and while it's an impressive device it didn't solve the major hurdles of VR for me:

- General stagnation of software. I haven't been wowed since Half-Life Alyx in 2020 and nothing has come close since.
- PC VR is finicky. I could have everything set up the way I need it then a week later something has changed and theres a new problem. I've stopped playing sim racing titles in VR because of how unreliable everything was.
- VR is more involved than I'd like. At the end of the day I want to relax on the couch with a controller in my hand. I'm not reaching for my headset because of that.
What kind of issues? Ever since getting Virtual Desktop PCVR has been a completely smooth experience, better than regular desktop in fact.

Laptop1991

No, the price barrier for the headset and the lack of many top VR games has still put me off, i like the tech though.

GametimeUK

I have a few friends who are pretty much full VR now. They're insane. Don't get me wrong I like VR games, but I feel mediocre games get praised as if they were amazing games in the VR space.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i tried it out a few years ago. it was cool for the 2-3 days but it quickly got boring. there wasn't many games and i ended up only playing beat saber which i sucked at, the resolution was awful and out of focus, and the fov was terrible like looking through two toilet roll tubes!

i'd like to try VR again to see how it's improved. i'm not buying a PSVR but I might get a Meta headset whenever they release a new one. I thought about getting the Quest 3 but i can wait.

Unfortunately, while I love VR games, they make me violently nauseous after about 30 minutes. Which I find weird, because I used to work on boats as a tour guide in sometimes violent oceanic conditions and I never got motion sickness.

Resenge

out of focus
I am not saying you have bad eyesight but there has been an uptick of people finding out they have needed eye tests due to being in VR and realising that its not as clear as it should be. Maybe something to think about if you find other headsets are not as clear as you expected in the future?

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I am not saying you have bad eyesight but there has been an uptick of people finding out they have needed eye tests due to being in VR and realising that its not as clear as it should be. Maybe something to think about if you find other headsets are not as clear as you expected in the future?
i do wear glasses and the headset i had i could still wear my glasses. i'm short sighted but i thought that'd be ok since i'm focusing on a screen that is real close. i don't know.

keraj37

I would love to get vr headset but i am still not sure if i should go with psvr2 or quest 3, i own both ps5 and pc.
PSVR2, especially when the price is still artificially low

Exactly.

For example, the act of reloading weapons is so fucking good in VR (obviously when done right) and the scale of things.
Yep, reloading your double barrel shotgun when 5 zombies approaches you is something else. It cannot be felt outside VR.
Specially when you fail to put one shell and in falls on the ground. You need to make quick decision: do I shot just one, or try to load one more time. It is even better with revolvers.
Just like in The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners PS5.

Cakeboxer

Vr is true "next gen" gaming particularly compared to "novelties" like a stupid camera, controller gimmics or a weak ass portable, but we are not there yet. We need much more full lenght games that were designed for VR and not just ports. One of the best Vr games was Astro Bots: Rescue Mission. I was so disappointed when they just announced some vr-less Mario Galaxy lookalike. That doesn't help Vr.

keraj37

Owned an Oculus Devkit 2, a VIVE and for a while a Quest2. Hoping Gaben blesses us with a stand alone VR machine.
I had almost the same path, and it didn't click with me, but PSVR2 "is finally there", the previous headsets not so much and I sold them.
i do wear glasses and the headset i had i could still wear my glasses. i'm short sighted but i thought that'd be ok since i'm focusing on a screen that is real close. i don't know.
I thought the same, but it doesn't work like that. You still need sight correction when using vr headset.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I had almost the same path, and it didn't click with me, but PSVR2 "is finally there", the previous headsets not so much and I sold them.

I thought the same, but it doesn't work like that. You still need sight correction when using vr headset.
lol well that explains it. well i guess i won't be using VR unless it lets me wear my glasses or if i ever decide to buy contacts again.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I love VR, but it's like a whole different medium to me. It's not something that in any way replaces traditional games for me, any more than games replace TV.

I don't generally want to spend as many hours in VR as in traditional games. An hour or two of VR is enough for me. I also enjoy it less when I'm already physically tired from the work week or whatever. But it can be great to really feel transported. I want to upgrade to a Quest 3 soon.

keraj37

lol well that explains it. well i guess i won't be using VR unless it lets me wear my glasses or if i ever decide to buy contacts again.
Well, your case is not lost, check a thread I made before, I use my prescription lenses to this day on my PSVR2: long story short you don't need glasses or contacts while playing vr games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Absolutely no inclination despite having 3 VR-ready devices.

Those who do, good for them. It's not for me.

What kind of issues? Ever since getting Virtual Desktop PCVR has been a completely smooth experience, better than regular desktop in fact.

Virtual Desktop has been hit or miss from me. Some days its smooth, other days I get framedrops, sometimes my wheel and pedals aren't detected in game when using VD but work fine when I switch to a wire. I could dig into it more but I'm falling out of love with VR anyway so I don't care enough to troubleshoot more. My quest 3 is used more for the standalone stuff now.

jburdick7

Neo Member
I got a PSVR at launch and had some fun with it but ultimately didn’t really engage with it beyond finishing Resident Evil 7. Just felt way too solitary an experience.

Felt like games never really took advantage of the possibilities of the headset beyond single player titles. The best experiences (after getting past sharing it with family & their initial reactions) were games like Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes or the multiplayer games in Astrobot. Games that took advantage of one player wearing the headset and others having the TV or not being able to see what the headset wearer could.

Maybe I’m too old having grown up with couch multiplayer but I thought there was a lot of potential for unique local multiplayer experiences with it that never materialized.

Disappointments aside I do want to pick up a pc compatible headset for Half Life Alyx and to experience a few other games with VR mods (Alien Isolation mostly) now that I’m solely PC & Nintendo.

Crayon

I play sometimes but two problems:

1. For me, it's a pretty different kind of activity that playing a normal game. Even for a seated game with a controller, putting on the headset feels a little "bye bye world". Having the social screen with my wife (we watch each other play games all the time) helps a bit. But when I'm alone.... there goes half a day. It lends itself to LONG sessions.

2. Too many fucking bangers coming out as flat games. If ac6, rebirth, or almost anything else had vr modes I'd be using that quite a bit. GT7 is an extreme example where playing it on a tv is super lame when vr is an option.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I like VR and have a Quest 2 but it’s all so cumbersome to get going. There are a few recent VR games I would like to try. Alyx was amazing.

Mossybrew

I bought the original PSVR. I can't say it was a total waste of money, I enjoyed some interesting games/experiences in the format, discovered that I do get "vr sick" in certain situations, which was not fun, though it got better with time. Ultimately though after that first year it became just something of a dust collector, and it's just packed away in my garage at this point. Have to say I'm not much interested in the format anymore, just too much of a hassle all things considered, no plans to buy PSVR2 or any other vr device, maybe some new technology in the years to come may change my mind but for now it's shelved.

Last edited:

keraj37

GT7 + VR2 is insane. Just got my VR2 PC adapter, so will try other racing sims too, and VR playtime will increase, but I'll probably never go full VR.
Try Project Cars 2, it is dirty cheap now on Steam, and plays great with PSVR2, I know, I tried - it is better than GT7 on PS5.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
no VR is stupid. STUPID!!!!

I got a quest 2 and psvr .. loved the star wars games but even they were more of a carnival ride than actual games.. got bad motion sickness trying other boring games the vr crowd says " OMG SO GREAT! " then basically let my kids have the quest2 full time and they didnt even play it... I do not even know where either headset is at the moment. lol

Top Bottom