• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you go full VR?

Did you go full VR?

• Yes, I did

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • Well, only partially, so not "fully"

Votes: 64 40.3%
  • No, I don't play VR games

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters

ManaByte

bh90xkZ.gif

anigif_enhanced-29779-1422474251-10.gif

Hot5pur

VR is far more impressive, but flat screen had some real bangers too. Flat screen has the benefit of large budgets and better story telling so it is more compelling to many. As far as complexity I think both VR and flat can be equally complex gameplay wise.

VR is just harder for people to digest because:
- too many overweight/obese folks. VR is physically demanding
- motion sickness. I recently went away for a few months and came back to VR and I felt pretty bad for the first few sessions. Can take some time to adapt.
- lack of AAA which people may be expecting if they are coming from flat screen gaming
- more barriers to get going, need more energy, need the space (sometimes you may need to move furniture)

Personally if I look at the new Batman game, and if someone had asked me would I prefer it in VR or flat, I would say VR because few games these days give me new experiences. Maybe it's age, but I feel like I've played every genre 100s of times over and now it's just a matter of getting a new story with a different coat of paint. VR creates an opportunity that's much more unique gameplay wise and thats why I prefer it.

Romulus

Full VR. I use injector mods on PCVR to play games that normally wouldn't get a port. Absolutely love that aspect. I'll literally never run out of AAA games at this point. Just finished AC7 campaign. Unbelievable in VR, average without VR. It truly elevates gaming to a completely different level when its a full fledged game and not a short tech demo. Glad we're past those days.

Really looking forward to Batman and Alien Incursion. Currently playing The Outer Worlds, Fallout NV, and Mechwarrior 5 in VR.

I do play flat games but I keep talking myself out of them. Life sized scale in VR is something a monitor can never replicate that continually blows me away.

Last edited:

Ojeteespacial

Neo Member
Bought mine and loved It, but It broke and returned It and bought a new pc. I'll buy It again but its too expensive and a pc is a lot more useful for the same price...

The only kind of gaming I make time for now is VR. I've bought console and PC games but never finish them. But I've beat all my VR games. Finally finished Fallout 4 VR with mods and it was amazing. The mods make it so fun. Finally got Skyrim all modded and am excited to start that.

darthvargi

I don't get the argument that there are no games in VR. I can't play enough of them just this year here are some highlights or things to look forward to:

1. Vertigo 2 - PSVR 2 I know this is a poor port of a pc game that came out last year but it's a fantastic game overall with 15 hours of gameplay

2. Arcade Paradise VR (Quest, PC, and PSVR 2) - again another port this time of a flat game but made all the better with new VR options for light gun and some other games like Air hockey.

3. Max Mustard - (Quest, PC,band PSVR 2 soon) - this is a love letter to Astrobot. However it's a phenomenal platformer on its own and really worth playing

4. Hitman 3 - Quest - this comes out this week and although visually I'm questioning the design, I'm sure it will be a real treat to play and better than the PCVR and PSVR 1 implementations.

5. NFL Pro Era - Quest - The games in the series have been so so but with the addition of playing defense and although I can't say much do to a NDA it's very much improved from the previous two versions in all aspects.

6. Batman - Quest - Much like AC Nexus last year I suspect this will be a full game in the series that many will miss out on but I think it's going to be VR GOTY.

7. Metro Awakening - (Quest, PC, and PSVR 2) - a VR entry in the series only feels natural. I suspect it's going to be very suspenseful and outright terrifying.

8. Alien Rogue Excursion - (Quest, PC, PSVR 2) - I can't quite recall if that's the exact name but come on a terrifying experience fighting xenomorphs and face huggers, come on.

I could go on as there are smaller experiences like Action Hero and Trombone Hero just to name a couple but the reality is there are tons of games, unless you are unwilling to try different genres or have infinite free time you'll have plenty of content to stay busy.

To answer the question: I do play some flat games but overall I'm almost exclusively playing in VR. Since 2016 I can't get enough.

Wonko_C

No. I'm blind on one eye, so the main draw of VR (the stereoscopic 3D) just isn't there. I tried the first PSVR at Best Buy when they had demo units set up. While head-tracking was cool, it wasn't enough to be worth it for me.
The main draw of VR is far more than just the 3D. It's the sense of presence you get when inhabiting the game world, (plus tracked controller so you get not only your head, but your hands inside the game) so if you have been seeing with one eye through all your life, then VR should not look any different to you (field of view aside).

Resenge

The main draw of VR is far more than just the 3D. It's the sense of presence you get when inhabiting the game world, (plus tracked controller so you get not only your head, but your hands inside the game) so if you have been seeing with one eye through all your life, then VR should not look any different to you (field of view aside).
Thats exactly what draws me to VR also. I love the experience of being immersed in old flat screen games also. feels like a whole different game.

Romulus

I love depth perceptive too, but the scale of the worlds is what really sells me on VR. I got to play an OG Xbox on a literal movie theater set in the early 2000s, and while you might think that is enough, it doesn't come close to VR's ability to communicate how large things can be. Like a planet or Super Star Destroyer. I have a slight case of Megalophobia that's fearful in a good way, and didn't know it until I played VR how big these things actually are. They are objects we never see in a lifetime so there's no point of reference. Most people will die thinking that skyscaper they saw was huge, when its literally a peon. The empire state building is 381m. A super star destroyer is 19,000m for example. The sun takes 19 years to fly around in a 747 at max speed. I have some reference to that size now.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Did you go full VR in your gaming like I did?
For me it is true "next gen" gaming.
With buying PSVR2 It finally clicked with me.
I played most of the hits on PS5 and now, with PC support, I cannot stop playing for the 15th time Skyrim, this time VR edition.

2D/NonVr Games don't exist to me now.
I hear about the greatness of Black Myth: Wukong etc, but I have no desire to stare at my TV anymore.

So, do you share any of my preferences or I am the only one on gaf with such deviation.

giphy.gif
Your not wrong.

But I've found vr to stagnate with what meta is doing with quest 3 and it's exclusives. Instead of going deep we going shallow.

Wish Valve put out more stuff in vr. Alyx is still peak gaming

I love depth perceptive too, but the scale of the worlds is what really sells me on VR.
Sometimes scale works. Did you play Rogue Squadron in VR? Incredible vehicle models. It's worth playing just for that experience. But for some reason for me, the scale felt completely off. Frigates and Star Destroyers didn't feel massive. They almost felt the same size as the ship you were flying. It was really weird and pulled me out of the immersion.

Also gameplay wise, that game just kind of sucked. If you moved slow enough, your ship would just rub up and bounce off of other objects. Also for some reason, the other characters in the game felt off. Like for some reason, I knew this one tie fighter pilot was gay and that he had a son with his partner. Nothing wrong with that. But it was weird that he was giving me this information in the war room of a Star Destroyer while we were actively in battle.

Romulus

Sometimes scale works. Did you play Rogue Squadron in VR? Incredible vehicle models. It's worth playing just for that experience. But for some reason for me, the scale felt completely off. Frigates and Star Destroyers didn't feel massive. They almost felt the same size as the ship you were flying. It was really weird and pulled me out of the immersion.

Also gameplay wise, that game just kind of sucked. If you moved slow enough, your ship would just rub up and bounce off of other objects. Also for some reason, the other characters in the game felt off. Like for some reason, I knew this one tie fighter pilot was gay and that he had a son with his partner. Nothing wrong with that. But it was weird that he was giving me this information in the war room of a Star Destroyer while we were actively in battle.

I did, and no the scale was not up to par. However, the Tie Fighter conversion mod I played at length about a year ago and that more than did the trick. Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky do everything for scale anyone could ever want. AC7 UEVR was amazing to in that regard.

Played a lot of VR when I had a Reverb G2, but my playtime has kinda fell off a cliff since I got a Quest 3. Not sure why given it's easier to use with just a single wire and there's no compatibility issues with WMR no longer used. I'll usually fire it up for an hour to blow the dust off every couple of weeks.

Looking forward to the upcoming Alien Isolation spin-off and kinda hoping it'll rekindle some VR enthusiasm

SiahWester

Yeah, I'm pretty much all in on VR now. It has always been a dream since I was a kid. The first few headsets have been rough, but the Quest 3 has made me want to have my headset on all the time.

You can have AR experiences like pool, sword fighting, puzzle games, etc. I'll use it to play flat games in a movie theater environment using virtual desktop. The image is clear in the Q3 and playing things on an IMAX sized screen is just so much more immersive than my normal TV. I've played around installing Android apps like Fall Guys, Tik Tok, and various emulators and it all works great. Lots of capabilities there. The AI on demand is a super cool feature. You can play media in the background when playing any VR app. It's just a well rounded media device imo. The pass through cameras are a real game changer because it doesn't feel isolating anymore.

I really want to see more 3rd person games in VR though. There really aren't enough. I love the kind of experiences I can sit back and play. I imagine most others do too. The physical experiences that require you to get up are awesome, but sometimes you want to lounge.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
51Ywz-RYrjL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Vr is leading up to a point where the components are built into you and I worry about organ failure I think the next generation of people will have technology built into them.

Humdinger

I tried PSVR, but it wasn't for me. I found the setup cumbersome, and I got motion sickness after about half an hour. I also had trouble finding games I wanted to play. Although I had some intriguing VR experiences, I decided to sell the unit after about six months. It just wasn't my thing. I am still interested in VR developments, though.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

51Ywz-RYrjL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Vr is leading up to a point where the components are built into you and I worry about organ failure I think the next generation of people will have technology built into them.
Standard games have been doing the sedentary life just fine. Sit on the couch and veg out with a controller in hand for hours. Not good for health. At least with VR we're moving, some people have lost weight even.

Romulus

By the poll, you could estimate that 60% of Neogaf is playing VR to some capacity. It'd wager that's a massive difference over a few years ago. I'd be curious what the % is for Xbox consoles in 2024. Probably not far off.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
By the poll, you could estimate that 60% of Neogaf is playing VR to some capacity. It'd wager that's a massive difference over a few years ago. I'd be curious what the % is for Xbox consoles in 2024. Probably not far off.
Yeah exactly, and I am surprised how many are full VR like I am, I thought it is tiny niche inside other tiny niche.

Krathoon

Gold Member
It is great that VR is portable now. It is hard to get free space next to a system sometimes. Now, you can go into the bedroom or something where the space is more open.

I do thing playing Beat Saber might be a bad idea in my apartment.

Wonko_C

While I don't believe a single game will be the turning point for VR (Even Half-Life Alyx couldn't do it), I love her enthusiasm and how she doesn't shy away from calling VR "The superior medium".

IyvnKDx.png

Last edited:

Romulus

While I don't believe a single game will be the turning point for VR (Even Half-Life Alyx couldn't do it), I love her enthusiasm and how she doesn't shy away from calling VR "The superior medium".

IyvnKDx.png

What I think alot of people are missing out on is developers have a new canvas in terms of passion. Many are burnt out on the same looking AAA games we've been playing since 2010, but now with better textures! Its the same old shit. But with VR, devs are excited to show us a new way to game. In a way like the 3d era coming from 2d. Sure many were terrible with janky cameras etc, but once they figured it out it was amazing. I think VR is starting to hit that stride. Not in the same level of mainstream because there are so many options but there are parallels and lots of hardcore gamers are missing out.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Eh, I think the true figure is much lower than that. I'd wager most people who don't play VR aren't even going to bother to click on the thread.

Yeah I'm predominantly VR since 2023. I will always focus on a VR game by default but at times I will still kill a little extra time with 2d stuff as Its easier when I'm feeling lazy.

ElFenomeno

No way .. no. I prefer to be aware of my actual physical surroundings.
Plus I don't look like a knob with that stuff on my head.

Sunkrest

Neo Member
I have a 7900XT GPU and I heard
that there are some issues with RDNA3 cards when it comes to VR performance so I'm hesitant when it comes to purchase of Meta Quest 3. But I'm definitely interested - especially in big titles like HL: Alex and fitness games.

Maybe I'll order a headset and test it for two weeks. I live in EU so I can return it easily.

MayauMiao

I did, got out. Cumbersome, uncomfortable, poor image quality, most of the VR games are gimmicks, and I don't like the feeling of tied down to a cable.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
I bought a psvr2 when the sale went on a few weeks ago. I can't imagine ever going full vr but this is the 1st vr unit I've had

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
The games I like are just not VR games and I don't want them to be. Don't like the style of games, don't like to wear the headset. It's not for me.

Top Bottom