• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you go full VR?

Did you go full VR?

• Yes, I did

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • Well, only partially, so not "fully"

Votes: 64 40.3%
  • No, I don't play VR games

Votes: 69 43.4%

• Total voters

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Partial. I think in order to go full, you have to have at least a Quest 2/3 or PSVR2 and use them on PC as well.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I initially went FULL-ass VR. I kickstarted the original Oculus dev kits. I bought almost every major headset up to and including the Valve Index. And then… I just stopped.

The software couldn’t keep up. I haven’t touched VR for a couple years, now, aside from the random Beat Saber session. VR is in a coma for me. I hope one day it wakes up with a plethora of new and exciting games, but as of now, I’m pretty over it.

We got Half Life Alyx, and nothing before or since has even been half as good.

Rockondevil

jsROUoT_d.webp

Wonko_C

I consider myself full VR player but i still play flat games, mostly classics. New flat games just don’t grab my attention anymore unless it's from a franchise I really love (Street Fighter).

To me VR is the natural evolution of gaming: We went from 2D games to 3D games in the 90's, now we went from 3D games to VR games.

I really don’t understand people who keep bashing stuff they haven't tried even once. They have no ground to stand on (other than hearsay) yet they double down in their ignorance. I don't think I have seen this phenomena elsewhere.

Last edited:
I adore VR but I still play flat. It's easy for me to dedicate multiple months in the year to just VR because there aren't ever too many current flat games on my radar. I know there should be but it's impossible to be aware everything that's releasing and if it appeals to me.

The thing I love about VR is what most people hate. I love the weird janky aspects and how things are simplified in a sense for gameplay. Immersion be damned, I'm well aware I'm in a videogame world and "immersion breaking" critiques make me roll my eyes. I have to assume the people who are vocal about it live in some kind of Soviet Era apartment complex and truly need an escape from their actual world, I don't need that. Only 1 game has truly sucked me in and thats because it's polished as can be, Propagation Paradise Hotel.

I love the feeling of being inside the game and sorting out the weird aspects until it becomes fluid, and then you can take it a step further and manipulate the game in many ways. VR is awesome, it is a damn shame that so many people poo poo it because it's mostly small teams experimenting and how can you not appreciate that as a videogame enthusiast? Every serious gamer should dabble in VR.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Try Project Cars 2, it is dirty cheap now on Steam, and plays great with PSVR2, I know, I tried - it is better than GT7 on PS5.
If you have the time for getting it all set-up Asseto Corsa with mods is a great VR experience, especially on the nohesi servers with endless traffic to weave through.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I wear glasses so I tend not to bother. That and I also easily get motion sickness...so I tend not to bother. Plus the games seem fairly rudimentary...so I tend not to bother.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've had both PSVR h headsets and they've grabbed my attention for a week, the games just ain't there for them.
And the ones that are playing better in 2d

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
PSVR2 lets you wear your glasses. You can buy lenses that fit on the vr lens itself too so that you don't need glasses.
Yeah, but try wearing glasses in PSVR2 without any bumpers at least - the lenses get scratched quickly. The best solution are dedicated PSVR2 prescription lenses.

I initially went FULL-ass VR. I kickstarted the original Oculus dev kits. I bought almost every major headset up to and including the Valve Index. And then… I just stopped.

The software couldn’t keep up. I haven’t touched VR for a couple years, now, aside from the random Beat Saber session. VR is in a coma for me. I hope one day it wakes up with a plethora of new and exciting games, but as of now, I’m pretty over it.

Village is dope. I really want to play Alyx someday because I can't imagine it being THAT much better than Village. Not a knock again Alyx, just really curious.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Village is dope. I really want to play Alyx someday because I can't imagine it being THAT much better than Village. Not a knock again Alyx, just really curious.
Village is easily my second favorite VR game and the only one that compares to Alyx. But the controls and gameplay are still just standard RE, which makes sense since it’s a TV game adapted to VR.

But Alyx is built entirely with VR in mind. It’s not playable any other way, so they can really design the gameplay around VR controls. It makes it so much more immersive imo. Nothing else (aside from RE) comes close.

sncvsrtoip

Gold Member
I would go full vr if sony provide vr mode for all games they release and I mean even simplest one with tpp. Its frustrating that they can do it with really marginal costs and they ignore possibility.

Last edited:

Preseznik

Neo Member
- PC VR is finicky. I could have everything set up the way I need it then a week later something has changed and theres a new problem. I've stopped playing sim racing titles in VR because of how unreliable everything was.
Haha yeah I race in VR and often the settings that worked fine yesterday suddenly don't today. I tinker with the settings more than I actually play.
Which is why I stick with GT7 most of the time and remain hopeful PS5 Pro improves on VR.

CS Lurker

There's no way I could go full VR. The tech is mind blowing, but the best games are still for flat screens (unfortunately), and because of motion sickness and other barriers I can't see this changing.

El Muerto

Gold Member
I have a Rift S, Quest 2, and PSVR. Might pick up PSVR2 since it's compatible with PC now but will wait for a major price drop. Quest 2 on PC is just fine for me.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
I have a Rift S, Quest 2, and PSVR. Might pick up PSVR2 since it's compatible with PC now but will wait for a major price drop. Quest 2 on PC is just fine for me.
Well, your dreams come true, it is $350 almost everywhere, and you can always go second hand below that.

Minsc

Gold Member
VR is way too tiny to go all in on it. It's definitely its own thing and you're missing out by skipping it, but skipping everything else? That's an infinitely larger ocean than VR. There's so many genres in VR that are entirely missing numerous AAA entries, like RPGs. VR is like the FPS/Zombie/Horror wet dream with some sprinkles of variety here and there, but it makes the AAA content for consoles look like a vast library of knowledge instead of the copy/paste regurgitation it too often is.

I dunno, Village was astounding in VR, RE4 VR frequently gets labels from VR reviewers as better than Alyx, and GT7 is objectively better as well, as almost nothing compares to GT7 with a wheel in VR.

You can go further too, plenty of Team Beef ports are amazing in VR, we're even getting the original Tomb Raider in FP and TP on the fly. I just don't believe anyone who think VR peaked with Alyx, that's to me like saying Mario games peaked with SMB3 and everything else can't compare.

Though the weight one puts on various elements does come into play, like personally picking crap up and the whole physical immersive aspect of VR is novel, but it's not what I'm there for.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I like my Index, but I don't see myself ever going "full vr". Playing games on the desk or the couch will always be much more comfortable.

And man, I can't really enjoy VR during summer, makes me sweat like a pig.

Wonko_C

Lol, that new VR user feeling 😂 get back to me in six months and tell me how much VR you play 😂
I've been playing since 2017 and between PSVR1 classics, Quest exclusives, PCVR plus VR mods my flat game backlog took a backseat against my VR backlog. If anything I have "reverse honeymoon". I wasn't impressed by VR at first but with each year it passes I become more and more passionate about it.

Zug

VR is the real next gen but there's no worthy software for it, and no incentive to make more.
HL Alyx was the last one and it was more than 4 years ago.
I do have 500+ hours on Skyrim VR though, but that's only thanks to modding, and players making their own VR software on the established Skyrim "platform" due to the lack of anything else.

Last edited:

Rayderism

No. I'm blind on one eye, so the main draw of VR (the stereoscopic 3D) just isn't there. I tried the first PSVR at Best Buy when they had demo units set up. While head-tracking was cool, it wasn't enough to be worth it for me.

buenoblue

I've been playing since 2017 and between PSVR1 classics, Quest exclusives, PCVR plus VR mods my flat game backlog took a backseat against my VR backlog. If anything I have "reverse honeymoon". I wasn't impressed by VR at first but with each year it passes I become more and more passionate about it.
You went full VR 😂

Digity

90% of my gaming is sim racing now and I do all of that in VR, no going back for that particular genre. Iracing is the only title I play in VR. I have played other VR titles which have been good but don't quite hook me.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I like my Index, but I don't see myself ever going "full vr". Playing games on the desk or the couch will always be much more comfortable.

And man, I can't really enjoy VR during summer, makes me sweat like a pig.
I bought a lot of games on PSVR2 where I just messed around for an hour then just quit.

I did spend a lot of hours on Gran Turismo because I can sit on my couch without restrictions.
Also spent a lot of time with the walking dead games.

I also played 20 minutes of Arizona Sunshine 2 then just quit.

I'm just a lazy bum who can't be bothered to move his coffee table and push back his sofa 😄

Codes 208

Lol fuck no

I have an occulus quest 2 for my pc to play games like half life alyx and blade & sorcery, but itll never be my go-to form of gaming

sigmaZ

Did you go full VR in your gaming like I did?
For me it is true "next gen" gaming.
With buying PSVR2 It finally clicked with me.
I played most of the hits on PS5 and now, with PC support, I cannot stop playing for the 15th time Skyrim, this time VR edition.

2D/NonVr Games don't exist to me now.
I hear about the greatness of Black Myth: Wukong etc, but I have no desire to stare at my TV anymore.

So, do you share any of my preferences or I am the only one on gaf with such deviation.

giphy.gif
Not until they unify it with flat gaming.

TrueLegend

Not booted in months. Have all Half life games, RE4 played none of them except for few minutes. It's not for me but I have it for novelty like Table Tennis and such bullshit stuff.

I play mostly VR games but I haven't gone full VR yet.

I love VR but I won't be going full VR until VR headsets are as comfortable and as seamless as putting on a pair of glasses. When that happens I'll play even my 2D flat games on big VR screens :messenger_beaming:

Sorcerer

I wonder if the next Half-Life game is going to be VR-exclusive as well.
Never. Valve would never give up a gold mine and let that happen. Half Life Alyx, while part of the Half Life universe is still a niche VR experience that was made specifically to demonstrate and sell headsets. It wasn't made to be a non-vr game although you could play it that way. I think it was or is given away with the purchase of the headset in fact.
Valve would not even lock Half Life 3 to Steam OS, never mind a headset.
I guess they could do a VR version as well, but I imagine it would compromised compared to Alyx as they still have to bring the regular version out to the masses.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I was big on vr before, but now i'm just waiting for vr to reach the next evolutionary step, the devices are still way too bulky and weighty, i need something in glass format, something that i can keep up more than 30 min without sweating my scalp off or having an headache.

So basically 20 years from now tech most probably, because even if they nail the shape, i still want something powerfull and with good battery life, maybe 20 years are not enough :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Sorcerer

VR at the moment just doesn't seem to scream casual experience. Just let me grab 10 quick minutes in a game, okay let me get this helmet on, clear space so I can dance around the room, shit I need to grab a beer, take a piss, helmet off. LOL!!!
I speak out of ignorance of course, so shoot me down if need be.

Last edited:

EerieArcade

Neo Member
Bought a PSVR for Resi 7. Bought Quest 2 for Resi 4. Probably get PSVR2 for Village. Picked up a few horror games for both - think it's the only genre really interests me when it comes to VR.

Top Bottom