• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you manage to secure the PS5 Pro?

And if you did, which version?

• Total voters

FunkMiller

I’m in JB Hifi’s lottery for the anniversary edition.

Pray I Hope GIF

Spoiler: I don’t actually care all that much.

Dthomp

dont worry, youre only missing out on games youve already played at 5-10fps more. Smart choice my friend

This was the biggest thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger when I got one in the cart, I'm never going to replay all those games I've already played cause they'll look a tiny bit better and I guess run a little better? (I only play in performance mode anyways). Good I guess for new adopters but when you have a backlog that you could stop buying games now and never get through it in your lifetime you don't really need a mid to late gen console refresh for this price and need a disc drive when you can just wait the additional year and a half to two for their new console and see just how unconsumer friendly it is instead of this. I really need to learn the ins and outs of upgrading PCs and all that cause I'm so sick of Sony at this point :/

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Good I guess for new adopters but when you have a backlog that you could stop buying games now and never get through it in your lifetime you don't really need a mid to late gen console refresh for this price and need a disc drive when you can just wait the additional year and a half to two for their new console and see just how unconsumer friendly it is instead of this. I really need to learn the ins and outs of upgrading PCs and all that cause I'm so sick of Sony at this point :/
It's probably going to be more like four years at the earliest.

I don't know where you're based, but the UK had some PS5 PRO's left earlier.
So, I’m living in Brazil, and I finally managed to get my hands on a PS5 last December—it wasn’t easy, but man, I’m loving it. But now there’s talk of a PS5 Pro, and I bet it’s gonna hit our shelves at around 2 grand;

It’s kind of sad news form me, though. I mean, PS5 still feels like an avantgarde next-gen high tech machine to me, lol... The idea of being left behind already? That’s a bit of a bummer...

Btw, thanks for the heads-up, bro 🫶

Last edited:

dmaul1114

Yeah I can’t see PS6 before fall 2028 at the earliest as well. Slow start to this gen with Covid supply chain introductions means they’ll want to stretch it longer to max out the late gen years when profits are higher (biggest install base to sell games and PS+ subs took, hardware component costs are down so profit on console sales are up etc.).

Dthomp

I hope you're right, just felt like PS4 pro wasn't on the market that long before we had the 5 dropping. I'm still in the camp that thinks we made the jump to this gen with no plans since we still have games being cross gen looking this many years later already. I'm still waiting for the true PS5 surge of next gen only games and am being dumped an upgrade when like 95% of the games so far have literally been playable on last gen. Sorry for the venting.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I hope you're right, just felt like PS4 pro wasn't on the market that long before we had the 5 dropping. I'm still in the camp that thinks we made the jump to this gen with no plans since we still have games being cross gen looking this many years later already. I'm still waiting for the true PS5 surge of next gen only games and am being dumped an upgrade when like 95% of the games so far have literally been playable on last gen. Sorry for the venting.
It might've felt that way, but it actually launched in the fall of 2016, which was exactly four years before the PS5 launched in the fall of 2020.

DrDryRub

I wanted a 30yr anni to scalp for 4090 $$ but the only option was the pro. So I closed the window and bought some games on steam instead. No money to be made from a pro

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
So, I’m living in Brazil, and I finally managed to get my hands on a PS5 last December—it wasn’t easy, but man, I’m loving it. But now there’s talk of a PS5 Pro, and I bet it’s gonna hit our shelves at around 2 grand;

It’s kind of sad news form me, though. I mean, PS5 still feels like an avantgarde next-gen high tech machine to me, lol... The idea of being left behind already? That’s a bit of a bummer...

Can you trade your PS5 in like many of us have done, to take the sting out of the PS5 PRO purchase? I got £350 for my lot.

wipeout364

I got a pro, bizarrely I was only able to find it in Costco here in Canada. Tried bestbuy but their cart kept crashing and Amazon had nothing. I don’t know if we even got any of the PS5 pro 30th Anniversary editions in Canada.

TAS

Regular Pro for me. I waited a few hours in line at Gamestop (Ajax, Ontario) with a buddy. We were first in line. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

What a pathetic first world we have created, we need to *secure* entertainment overpriced and artificially limited things that finally mostly only reach scalpers. That's... never mind, I must be tired.

Tired Burn Out GIF by Pudgy Penguins
Tired Burn Out GIF by doodles

No, I've even not tried.

Last edited:
It looks like preorders are still available everywhere in Australia for the pro at the moment. People might be seeing if they can snag an anniversary one first.

Realistically though I think in our current economic climate here a $1,200 console is probably a stretch too far for most. Might see some price drops in a few months to move stock.

RyanEvans21

Half of PS4 owner didnt upgrade yet! So dont feel sad.

ramuh

First time I didnt buy/preorder day 1 release of a sony console... I remember waiting in line for a ps2 at a walmart (they had twenty)... but I just got a 4080S/7800x3d computer. So I'll be riding that for a while.

Most of the games I play on PS5 are rpgs and indies, so I dont think i need the Pro. That might change. I love new consoles, lol.

Last edited:

Metnut

This was the biggest thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger when I got one in the cart, I'm never going to replay all those games I've already played cause they'll look a tiny bit better and I guess run a little better? (I only play in performance mode anyways). Good I guess for new adopters but when you have a backlog that you could stop buying games now and never get through it in your lifetime you don't really need a mid to late gen console refresh for this price and need a disc drive when you can just wait the additional year and a half to two for their new console and see just how unconsumer friendly it is instead of this. I really need to learn the ins and outs of upgrading PCs and all that cause I'm so sick of Sony at this point :/

4 years is a long time. After trading in my PS5, I’m basically paying $80 a year to play all the games at better settings. I think it’s a fair proposition.

Gamerguy84

Does Sony buy back your PS5 for a decent price. I definitely don't need 3 so wanna get rid of one.

Also cant wait for this PRO. Looks like a nice jump from PS5 power wise plus PSSR especially.

DarkstarRising13

Neo Member
Nope, unfortunately. I didn't have the necessary funds to purchase it. Hopefully, my local Walmart will have one in stock by the time it hits shelves on November 7th. Pre-orders are, surprisingly for the area I'm living in, sold out.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
4 years is a long time. After trading in my PS5, I’m basically paying $80 a year to play all the games at better settings. I think it’s a fair proposition.

Not to mention the increase in storage.

Going from 825GB to 2TB is a huge difference, nearly 2.5X more storage. You can always delete and re-download, but I was having to make serious deletions on a regular basis for many games I'd like to keep permanently on the drive.

dmaul1114

PS4 Pro came out in November 2016. PS5 November 2020. So 4 years, and likely the same this time as I can’t see PS6 before fall 2028 (and wouldn’t be surprised if they pushed to 2029 or 2030 if sales are strong since the install base got off to a slower start with Covid supply chain issues).

Last edited:
Tried to get the 30th anniversary bundle as I really like the look, but sold out. Don't think I'm that fussed about the regular pro yet. Will wait and see the games in January I think. Really did want the anniversary console though would definitely get that at launch if it was available. I just don't really like the white ps5s

Top Bottom