• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Inside Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 - An Unreal Engine 5 Masterpiece - The Ninja Theory Breakdown

kikii

I really don't get how people day this game has 0 game play.

The sword fights always get my heart pumping. Couple that with the presentation of graphics and audio and I'm pure adrenalin in those fights and atmosphere.

Different strokes I guess.
cause its not a game, left thumb up and listen some fcked up noises 5hrs, dont get me wrong, but i didnt like 1st one so i bet 2nd one is worse :p

Roberts

cause its not a game, left thumb up and listen some fcked up noises 5hrs, dont get me wrong, but i didnt like 1st one so i bet 2nd one is worse :p
It is a game. Every game has its own goals when it comes to gameplay. It is not just left thumb up even though the things you do in the game are limited to three or four activities. And it is OK. It is what they set out to do and they do it well. I find it weird to be honest when it comes to people (who most likely haven't even played it) complain that it is not a game because it is simple - it would be like saying that Uncharted games suck because you only do 3-4 things in it, over and over again.

peek

The sword fights always get my heart pumping. Couple that with the presentation of graphics and audio and I'm pure adrenalin in those fights and atmosphere.

Yeah, I was almost having a heart attack watching how fast her legs were moving in a youtube playthrough. Like the corridors were moving past her at such a blistering fast rate as she walked down the hallway.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Game looks amazing and it does have plenty of gameplay although it is kinda obscured by the commitment to not having any hud, menus etc. The story is unrelentingly dreary and depressing by design but that isnt really a good fit for a game. The biggest flaw is that it is too on rails, I'm not a fan of open world stuff, but I'm even less a fan of not being able to walk past a small pile of stones or some extra long grass. You can't immerse me in a beautiful recreation of wide open Icelandic scenery and then kill that immersion with brutally restrictive paths.

Chronos24

I must be in the smallest minority because I ACTUALLY enjoyed the game. Was it short? Yes. Other than length the game to me was of course visually one of if not the best game graphically I've played on console. I didn't mind the walking really. It was the immersion with the voices and the environments. I also really liked the combat. It was so well animated but I'll say a complaint there would be once you learn to spam the _________ the fights did get considerably easier. Still, is this supposed to be major action fast paced type? No. I definitely think the game is meant for an audience that really likes to delve deep into psyche and environment and ethos and sound. The game is a technical masterpiece indeed. Is it super exciting for the masses? No.

CamHostage

Interesting to note that the game was running on UE4 as late as the 2021 showcase trailer.

Yeah, despite UE5 seeming to be ready-to-use tech in the May 2020 reveal (and thus assumptions that there were surely developers already using it behind closed doors, as was often the case in the past with engine technology by the time it was debuted to the public... I actually made this assumption in a post about GCD 2021 before The Coalition's Alpha Point showed to be a rudimentary experiment with the tech rather than a full-fledged showcase,) this tech was still far from mature and available for productions.

We learned in that Alpha Point post-mort that Epic did not give private access for UE5 even to developers as close as The Coalition (a team which is Microsoft's most important UE developer, responsible for evaluation and optimization of UE technology on Xbox in addition to making games; Coalition was also involved in Matrix Awakens) until November 2020. Coalition was still modeling Alpha Point in UE4 and other development tools through that Oct under guidelines and assumptions of the technology and concepts, to be ready for UE5 when they got access.

For most game developers, that Early Access release of UE5 in May 2021 was when they first got to try out the tech. Pros and the public got it on the same day, which is one of the reasons why there are so many amateur/indie "demos" using UE5 while there are still so few games and relatively few revolutionary showcases of the technology even 3 years after access.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Not for you, that's fine.
Yeah, I was almost having a heart attack watching how fast her legs were moving in a youtube playthrough. Like the corridors were moving past her at such a blistering fast rate as she walked down the hallway.
This is good!
Ludacris Tastes Good GIF by First We Feast

Fess

Who says that? Nobody you should pay attention to. If you filter out the trolls and warriors you end up with a game most would rate 7/10 up to 9/10 depending on how much they enjoy story telling and cinematic gaming experiences.
Which means:
Metacritic 81 PC 80 Xbox
Steam 87% Very Positive

The slow puzzles killed the flow for me but otherwise it was a playthrough I’ll remember for a long time.

peek

Not for you, that's fine.

This is good!
Ludacris Tastes Good GIF by First We Feast
Yeah im just busting balls here haha. No disrespect to anyone who enjoys these types of games xD

Im just too much of a gameplay above everything else type of person. Games like this are better for youtube watch to me.

Top Bottom