• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Truespeed said:
I see they kept the piss filter. Why do they continue to do this? Any way to tone it down?
There is but I can't remember where that mod is. I read it in the other thread and lost the post. I will do that some time. Or just disable PP to see what it looks like.

rvy

Banned
Game is awesome. It's a shame about the filters, they're cool for the menus, but that's it. Still, loving it so far. YouTube implementation is crap though.

deduce

I've read a lot of posts about how the replays are letterboxed, but is the entire game supposed to be be letterboxed? Kind of annoying. ATI5770 playing on a Dell u2311h.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Someone needs to slap whoever thought it was a good idea to put Gymkhyana in this game. The events are so fucking stupid especially since some are required. I just want a racing game filled with tracks.

Unless you're going for 100%, past the first Gymkhana tutorial, you never have to do it again. If thats any consolation.

It is pretty terrible though. What it has to do with dirt racing is lost on me.

InertiaXr

Stallion Free said:
Someone needs to slap whoever thought it was a good idea to put Gymkhyana in this game. The events are so fucking stupid especially since some are required.

I hate Gymkhana being in this game and I wish Dirt 3 was what the developers said it was going to be before release, more rally. This was the first game I bought for a full $45 at release since early holiday 2009 and got burned hard.

Stallion Free said:
I just want a racing game filled with tracks.

lol, that sounds like nonsense

I also want that.

Gvaz

Banned
I see them and I would be too, wtf is that blotchy shit.

Also this game is stupid good in terms of graphics. Where the hell did they pull the fidelity out of?

demolitio

I need to get a copy of this game from AMD on the next wave. Every single picture I see makes me want it more and more but I'm always like a minute to late to get a code.

Such a gorgeous game yet it's more optimized than 98% of games out there on PC.

demolitio said:
I need to get a copy of this game from AMD on the next wave. Every single picture I see makes me want it more and more but I'm always like a minute to late to get a code.
It's also available in shops. Hope this helps.

1-D_FTW

toythatkills said:
It's also available in shops. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't recommend it at full price. It's un-fucking-acceptable what Codemasters has been doing. Up until Dirt 3, Codemaster PC games were retailing at 39.99. For Dirt 3, they raised the price to 49.99, literally shipped half a game worth of content, still haven't addressed the DX 11 issue (that's been documented with crash data hundreds of times on their forums), the G27 support has been stripped of LED support (which was in previous Codemasters games), etc.

Is it a good game? Sure. But it's definitely something that'll be more palatable if you get for free in a contest or on a deep sale. I wouldn't support Codemasters by paying retail for it. They don't deserve it on this game.

1-D_FTW

Now that I've forced myself past the Gyncana tutorial and get to play the campaign again, it does seem to have more variety than I feared. Even has more cool cars than Dirt 2, but between not actually owning them and the constant advertising of DLC, it's easy to forget it.

alf717

I just got the game last night. Seems to be pretty good but I picked casual difficulty and the game seems to be playing itself or trying to guide me. The only other thing I'm not fond of was for a 12GB game to already have so much DLC is silly. One thing that blew me away was how well it works with my setup although load times seem to be a bit long and the game seems to glitch (Assassin Creed style) when the camera angles change while loading. Can't complain too much though the game was free.

1-D_FTW

alf717 said:
I just got the game last night. Seems to be pretty good but I picked casual difficulty and the game seems to be playing itself or trying to guide me. The only other thing I'm not fond of was for a 12GB game to already have so much DLC is silly. One thing that blew me away was how well it works with my setup although load times seem to be a bit long and the game seems to glitch (Assassin Creed style) when the camera angles change while loading. Can't complain too much though the game was free.

You can change race settings when you're starting an event (the screen where it says Start/Tune Car/Etc or when you're racing an event and hit escape. They'll be options then to turn off driving aides and adjust difficulty settings. You're not locked into anything. Adjust at will.

Mascot

After whoring DiRT 3 for a while now I'm utterly, utterly convinced that DiRT 2 is a better overall game.
For one thing the tracks in 2 totally piss all over those in 3. Totally.

Still a great game, just not the advancement I was hoping for.

Truespeed said:
I see they kept the piss filter. Why do they continue to do this? Any way to tone it down?
It's gone for F1 2011, thankfully. It's amazing how ugly their piss filters are.

Edit: Well, all piss filters are ugly as sin, actually.

Bollocks

Mascot said:
After whoring DiRT 3 for a while now I'm utterly, utterly convinced that DiRT 2 is a better overall game.
For one thing the tracks in 2 totally piss all over those in 3. Totally.

Still a great game, just not the advancement I was hoping for.
Yep, it just isn't the same with the tracks, driving through them seems bland.
I still remember some landmarks from Dirt 2, with Dirt 3 I don't remember any

I can only shake my head when I look back to Utah, Malaysia, China,..fuck it, all of them, every single track was brilliant!!!

Just one thing Codemasters, where are the landrush offroad stages with alternative routes? You screwed up big time with your track design.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Really enjoying the visuals on PC

dirt3_game2011-07-2421v8oq.png

dirt3_game2011-07-2421v8ui.png

dirt3_game2011-07-2421k80s.png

dirt3_game2011-07-2421z8tt.png

dirt3_game2011-07-2421kkwd.png

Lima

So Shibuya track pack is coming out tomorrow. Not a big rally cross fan but I'm still excited. Can't get enough of this game.

Knock the ingame brightness down to around 0.8 for the best look, I find that with some deeper colours the night racing is 10 times better and the car's look more real, among other improvements.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lima said:
So Shibuya track pack is coming out tomorrow. Not a big rally cross fan but I'm still excited. Can't get enough of this game.
So it's just gonna add races where we have to do 4-8 laps? That makes skipping it so much easier. Monte Carlo was worth it because it added to the best mode in the game.

Dirt 3 feels a lot like the DIRECT sequel to Dirt 1 to me, like more 'serious' in presentation, (not in terms of audio though, why are these youtube dudebro's constantly talking to me?)

The head to heads especially remind me of the last gen's CM rally games.

I'm not knocking the Dirt games though I like them all, it just feels like Dirt 3 is Dirt 2 to me and visa versa.

Can someone explain to me why the first triangle of events hasen't turned gold, I've won all the events available to me apart from the DLC. If you have to win the DLC content in order to beat the game, my piss is going to boil. That is some SERIOUS bullshit and Codemasters should be ashamed of themselves. Please tell me that isnt the case? The fact it's not gone gold is bad enough though to be honest, smh.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Can someone explain to me why the first triangle of events hasen't turned gold, I've won all the events available to me apart from the DLC. If you have to win the DLC content in order to beat the game, my piss is going to boil.
That's exactly the case. If you don't buy the DLC the triangle will not turn gold.
You can turn the triangle gold without the DLC though.
On consoles you can force it by not connecting up with XBL and PSN.

Maybe there is a way to do that on PC as well.

I really don't care for the sleazy way Codies implemented the DLC into the career and the car list. Really fucking shitty after people pay good money for the game itself.

toythatkills said:
I turned the first tetrahedron gold the day before the DLC was released, then the next day I loaded the game and it was ungolded again.

RAGE.

No fucking way... wow. Are they taking the piss? These dudebros can take their DLC soured dirt tour, upload it onto youtube and shove it up their ass. I'm really disgusted by that, what made them think this was a good idea in any way, shape or form!? Haha

Neuromancer said:
I really don't care for the sleazy way Codies implemented the DLC into the career and the car list. Really fucking shitty after people pay good money for the game itself.
Indeed. There's no reason why they couldn't have just ungolded the triangles when you actually purchased the DLC.

Well, aside from the reason that they want to taunt people into buying it, well fuck that.

So i got this game free as part of the AMD deal, i was wondering though, where can i buy its DLC, i can't find it in Steam anywhere, also, what DLC do you guys recommend?

besiktas1

My copy came on Saturday and have been playing the shit out of it since then but one thing that pisses me off is I need to buy dlc to 300/300 some of the events?! WTF. If I wasn't on my phone I'd write a long arse post about how fucking ridiculous this is but touch keyboards wear me out.

Otherwise awesome game. Oh and the gyncana pisses me off but that's for another day :)

1-D_FTW

Neuromancer said:

And even if you do buy the DLC, not being able to run Trailblazer on Monte Carlo for TT is all kinds of stupid.

I got the game as part of a deal too, I'd be even more pissed off if I got it for 34.99 from the store (which I nearly actually did). There is no way I'm buying this DLC because the last thing we want to do is make them think this form of bullshit advertising actually works. Total disgrace.

And I agree that the gymkhana is annoying. Cool little spin off I guess, but have it as a bonus game type in the menu or something, don't have that shit in the campaign!

Gymkhana would have made a lot more sense in Grid, than it did in Dirt. I hate it, worst part of the game. Now that I'm done with the career more or less, I never have to play it again so there's that at least.

Neuromancer said:
Gymkhana would have made a lot more sense in Grid, than it did in Dirt. I hate it, worst part of the game. Now that I'm done with the career more or less, I never have to play it again so there's that at least.

Yeah thats a really good point. Where's Grid 2 I wonder...

I hate it too, I'm trying to platinum the tutorials and its a humbling experience lol
I should probably practise some more to be fair

ElRenoRaven

Neuromancer said:

Couldn't agree more. If I had actually paid for this game I'd be so damn pissed. Who knows though. With it being free I might actually pick up a couple of packs. Speaking of which it would have been nice if they actually did the cars in a pack for them all instead of piece by piece. You could easily have that option in there along with the pieces individually.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just wrapped up a 2-3 hour play session with friends and my god is this game good. We rotated through Rally, Trailblazer, and Rally Cross (all the good modes and not of the shit). Over the course of the session we fine-tuned our settings to:
-Full damage
-Forced off assists (no trust)
-Forced head cam (2pro, no trust)
-Staggered starts + collisions
-Mostly/completely hudless

It was incredible. We are all suckers for the weather effects and it's crazy scary in trailblazer where you don't have a co-pilot helping. I can't recommend this game with a group of friends enough.

Top Bottom