• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Lima

Shortt Sirket said:
Isn't the Mud and Guts Pack supposed to hit today? With the Peugeot 205T16 and the Stratos, the game will have almost all the great rally cars.

They are releasing new packs every Tuesday I think? I definitely want that pack.

Lima said:
They are releasing new packs every Tuesday I think? I definitely want that pack.

I know this has been said and said again, but I would pay an insane amount of money for a Pikes Peak DLC. The length of the tracks is starting to really bug me. It seems like by the time I start to get into a nice groove the track just ends.

And I miss being able to use any car on any type of track. Using the Group B Rally cars on the Trailblazer tracks would just be awesome.

Still though, the fact it has all the amazing Group B cars means I will be playing this game for years. I have wanted a decent Group B game for a long, long, long time.

Slightly Off-Topic but if anyone is looking for a cool Group B Documentary check out "Too Fast to Race" and "Still Too Fast to Race." They aren't big budget or anything, but really informative and interesting.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Class of All Platinum 2011 baby!!! :D

Feindflug

Neuromancer said:

Saw that yesterday on the Marketplace...and I didn't know if I had to laugh or cry.

Gone from delivering two games with lots of content with no "DLC support" to selling half the game as DLC's and now selling freakin' horn sounds? seriously? just fuck you Codemasters.

i've gone from loving this game to thinking codemasters took it the wrong route with all this DLC, should have been in the game already especially the missing GROUP B cars, monte carlo was badly missed too in a lackluster rally setup.

I can see F1 2011 going the same route personally with some content being held back and then forcefully advertised in the main menu -.-

Ballistik

So there was an update for this game on the 360.
Scheduled to go live today, Friday 8th July, this patch fixes several issues found in the Xbox 360 version of DiRT 3.

Patch Notes:
Reset line corrections to prevent potential ‘out of world’ or ‘driving into crowd’ issues on several tracks
Corrected a rare issue which could lead to finish line cameras being moved outside of the game world
Fixed a very rare physics issue which could lead to the player’s vehicle falling through the world continuously
Fixed several severe clipping issues during multiplayer party mode events in Battersea
Included messaging explaining the lack of ghost functionality if connection to the XLSP server is lost
Resolved an issue which could potentially cause a soft lock
Prevented engine audio incorrectly continuing to play in multiplayer events
Fixed a multiplayer spectator issue which would prevent camera rotation around a watched vehicle in chase cam
Corrected various spelling mistakes across all languages
Fixed an issue where invalid video tags were being uploaded to YouTube in some circumstances (e.g. “Weather condition: <DB_(NULL)>”)
Various stability fixes

Lima

Shortt Sirket said:
I think it comes out tomorrow, but I am not sure.

Well at the time of my post it was already Tuesday in my country. Anyway the car pack and the individual cars are now available on the live marketplace.

480 MS Points

fresquito said:
So I understand there're no essential mods...
Unless you really hate sun glare then the game is more or less spot on, it looks lush and great, feels great, runs really well on pc.

Dirt 2 had a lighting mod but it really killed the effects and just bleached the entire game to a pale pallete, it was another matter of taste.

You can mod the FOV for cockpit cameras but at least try out the game unedited first.

legbone

yes, finally. the glorious stratos will be mine. i also need to pick up monte carlo since i let it slide the week it came out. guess i better go grab some space bux.

Lima

As expected the Stratos is the dominant car in its class. Not sure if I like this considering the fact that it is a downloadable car.

Essential mod for this game is deleting the voice file. Maybe also turn off the music unless you like to hear 3 seconds of a song, screen fade in/out and 3 seconds of another song.

Shortt Sirket said:
Sweet baby Jesus I have finally been approved.

Isn't the Mud and Guts Pack supposed to hit today? With the Peugeot 205T16 and the Stratos, the game will have almost all the great rally cars.

I really wish there was an option to use the classic liveries. The Delta S4 just doesn't look right in anything but the Martini Racing livery.

Where did you hear about the Stratos being released? I've seen nothing about this, and that is the one car I've been waiting for.

Lima

Did you read the last posts in the thread?

The car pack including the stratos is out NOW on the xbox live marketplace for 480 MSP. Should be available tomorrow for pc.

You can also buy just the stratos for 160 MSP.

Lima said:
Did you read the last posts in the thread?

The car pack including the stratos is out NOW on the xbox live marketplace for 480 MSP. Should be available tomorrow for pc.

You can also buy just the stratos for 160 MSP.

Thanks. I didn't see your post about it being out. Can't wait to pick this up tonight!

About bloody time. Can't wait to drive the glorious Peugeot 205T16 and the brutal Stratos. This game has almost every important rally car you could want. Still wish we could use the original liveries.

I just got the game on PC. It looks great. I was wondering if any of the graphics settings are obvious hogs with no benefits. I get 45 or so FPS in the forests, and 60 FPS with an 8 man race around a track. I have everything turned up, at 1920x1080 with 2xAA and v sync on. I just did the first few events.

Class_A_Ninja said:
I just got the game on PC. It looks great. I was wondering if any of the graphics settings are obvious hogs with no benefits. I get 45 or so FPS in the forests, and 60 FPS with an 8 man race around a track. I have everything turned up, at 1920x1080 with 2xAA and v sync on. I just did the first few events.
What graphics card? I get the reverse of that (60fps in forest, 40fps in 8-car races) on a gtx 260 and c2d 2.8

You really can't. The only way you can choose is to go down the list and pick different "sponsors." That will change the livery, but also affects how many extra points you get for the secondary challenges.

Shortt Sirket said:
You really can't. The only way you can choose is to go down the list and pick different "sponsors." That will change the livery, but also affects how many extra points you get for the secondary challenges.
I was afraid of that, and it seems like an incredibly bizarre choice by the developer. It's fun to have just a bit of customization over your car, and it was perfect in Dirt 2.

BruiserBear said:
I was afraid of that, and it seems like an incredibly bizarre choice by the developer. It's fun to have just a bit of customization over your car, and it was perfect in Dirt 2.
I agree, it seems like a step backward. I dunno, part of me really feels that Dirt 1 was the all around better game. I mean, Pikes Peak!

I love Dirt 3, but there are so many things they could have done better and improved on.

I'm thinking about getting this game as a gift for a friend. She loves racing games.

My only question is, how are the rally tracks? Are they pretty lengthy tracks? I read from another thread that some people are complaining the rally tracks are shorter than past Dirt games which includes the older series. Is this true?

Also, about the online pass, is that only for online play or does it also unlock any single player modes?

Thanks.

sneaky77

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm thinking about getting this game as a gift for a friend. She loves racing games.

My only question is, how are the rally tracks? Are they pretty lengthy tracks? I read from another thread that some people are complaining the rally tracks are shorter than past Dirt games which includes the older series. Is this true?

Also, about the online pass, is that only for online play or does it also unlock any single player modes?

Thanks.

The tracks are between 1:30 and 3 mins long. They are pretty well laid out, but yeah they are not overly long.
The online pass does not really do anything for single player as far as I know.

If she loves racing games I don't see why she wouldn't love this. Is a good game, Codemasters falls short on some areas but is pretty solid.

sneaky77 said:
The tracks are between 1:30 and 3 mins long. They are pretty well laid out, but yeah they are not overly long.
The online pass does not really do anything for single player as far as I know.

If she loves racing games I don't see why she wouldn't love this. Is a good game, Codemasters falls short on some areas but is pretty solid.
Alright. Thanks for the info.

Daigoro

honestly its a great reacing game, but the question is will she be ok with the gymkhana stuff?

it took me a bit, but i like it after some practice. turns some people off though.

Mohonky

Shortt Sirket said:
I agree, it seems like a step backward. I dunno, part of me really feels that Dirt 1 was the all around better game. I mean, Pikes Peak!

....because it was? Way better game over all for me, as soon as they started putting in dudebro it all went to shit. The first one had the best tracks and events, it still managed buggies and trophy trucks but kept rally it's primary focus.

Dirt 1 with Dirt 3's updated visuals and physics would be perfect. Well if they added more tracks as well.

Dirt 2 and 3 felt like they had been designed by a committee of brands and dudebros.

Mohonky said:
Dirt 1 with Dirt 3's updated visuals and physics would be perfect. Well if they added more tracks as well.

Seriously, give me this. That is all I want right now. I try to go back to Dirt 1, but the physics really put me off. All the cars feel like they are pivoting on their center, just doesn't feel right.

Does anyone know if Shibuya will be the last DLC? I mean, is there still some small chance we could see Pikes Peak make a return?

InertiaXr

DurielBlack said:
So I've been sorely missing playing racing games since I lost interest in consoles entirely, and I have been thinking about picking up Dirt 3 for my PC to fill this hole.

I've never used a racing wheel setup, and I don't want to invest gobs of money into it.

How does this wheel stack up? Anyone used it?

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Force-Feedback-Racing-Wheel-Pc/dp/B0029XGV4U

Get a Driving Force Gt, I have one and it works great, only used in Dirt 3 and F1 2010 so far. I believe for the lower price points the Logitech wheels are generally considered the best, Fanatec has some real high end stuff. Also on a pretty decent sale, only $99 right now, usually is 120+.

InertiaXr said:
Get a Driving Force Gt, I have one and it works great, only used in Dirt 3 and F1 2010 so far. I believe for the lower price points the Logitech wheels are generally considered the best, Fanatec has some real high end stuff. Also on a pretty decent sale, only $99 right now, usually is 120+.

Shows as only working for the PS3, I need PC.

InertiaXr

DurielBlack said:
Shows as only working for the PS3, I need PC.

Yeah like fresquito said, it's USB and works on PC just fine. The only wheel that I know of that doesn't work on a computer is the propriety Microsoft nonsense.

Top Bottom