• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Neuromancer said:
Yeah it's a fantastic track. Hopefully they'll also channel this spirit into whatever rally/Dirt game they make next.
I will go into like shock if they announce that Dirt 4 contains 30+ trailblazer courses (unique) and 30+ rally courses (unique).

Also, fuck Monaco. It sticks out like a sore thumb in the game. It's like they are trying to tease Grid 2 and it's weird.

1-D_FTW

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
speaking of monaco, the street race course by the habour reminded me of Sega Rally 2 so much when playing at night, especially with the fireworks too. 90's Sega would be proud! =)
modern sega would be like 'DUUUUUUUURRRRR'.... :(

Did you play Dirt 2? Firecrackers at night on London was awesome. Monaco is budget backyard firecrackers using recycled assets from F1 2010. The pyrotechnics/spectacle was so much greater in 2.

RS4-

Got a code from a fellow Gaffer; game just sits there loading when I try to sign in a profile. If I make an offline account, I can't click on the live button to make a new one.

Any ideas?

edit - nm, GFWL was being very finicky.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
Did you play Dirt 2? Firecrackers at night on London was awesome. Monaco is budget backyard firecrackers using recycled assets from F1 2010. The pyrotechnics/spectacle was so much greater in 2.
The reflection and lighting was a lot better in Battersea (London) in Dirt 2 as well. Monaco looks pretty underwhelming.

I've ran out of hope now but has anyone managed to fix the issue of it not launching? Drivers are all up to date and I've tried running as administrator, running in compatibility, checking steam is not in compatibility, and even redownloading and installing the game.

gragy10

All up for a bit of master race multiplayer - Trailblazer sounds sweet.
Steam id is Granholme, GFWL is Banana Barons - feel free to add me

Ledsen

Yeah I think I'll have to wait to play this until I get a new computer. With the minimum settings I'm happy with (720p, 2xAA, Vsync+Triple Buffering, everything on low, or high if there's only off and high), I only get about 35 fps avg, which is pretty much unplayable to me in a racing game.

1-D_FTW said:
I had a post where I was going to tell him to install MSI Afterburner to monitor the GPU utilization and something like the ALL CPU METER gadget to monitor the CPU utilization, but then I remembered when F1 2010 launched and neither my CPU or GPU ever broke 65 percent utilization and my framerates were stuck in the 30s. Deleted the post. It's possible he does have a bottleneck, or it could just be a Codemaster's mystery for his rig.
You have no luck with Codemasters.

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:
You have no luck with Codemasters.

Yeah. It was probably lost in my constant bitching, but that was a large part of my complaint at the time. Just not as big as the DX 11 crashes or the fact I was getting .5 second hitches in turns while running DX9. It was fixed with the patch that eventually came.

mojiimbo

TheBothersomeMan said:
I've ran out of hope now but has anyone managed to fix the issue of it not launching? Drivers are all up to date and I've tried running as administrator, running in compatibility, checking steam is not in compatibility, and even redownloading and installing the game.
Do you mean that it stopped launching or it's never launched at all?

DD

Stallion Free said:
I will go into like shock if they announce that Dirt 4 contains 30+ trailblazer courses (unique) and 30+ rally courses (unique).

Also, fuck Monaco. It sticks out like a sore thumb in the game. It's like they are trying to tease Grid 2 and it's weird.
They've promised more tracks for Dirt 3 than they have made for Dirt 2, but they've made worse tracks in the same quantity they had in Dirt 2, but they even cuted out one of 'em to sell via DLC (Monte Carlo).

Codemasters REALLY let me down with Dirt 3. Also, the handling model + physics felt more natural in Dirt 2.

I loved Dirt 2, even felling that it was shallow, lacking content. I was hoping for Codemasters to fix these problems in Dirt 3, and I fell like a duck with their promises, like more realistic handling and physics, more tracks, less 'cool-bro' stuff, a game more centered in classic rally, etc. But what we got is an even shallower game, with less tracks/locations, worse and smaller tracks, even more 'cool-bro' stuff, a more arcadey handling model, etc. Not to mention the chutzpah DLC ads in my face all the time. Basically what they've promised they are selling via DLC now.

I'll no more expect anything good from Codemasters, except for nice graphics in their games. All Codemasters racing games in this current generation are shallow, except for F1 2010, because they can't do that with the F1 brand. So, I have no hype for any upcoming game from Codemasters, except for F1. From now on, I'll won't give a fuck for all Dirts and Grids.

TheBothersomeMan said:

Have you tried this.

mojiimbo said:
Do you mean that it stopped launching or it's never launched at all?
Well it wasn't launching at all, and I just tried Bobby Truffles solution and although it gets me further (the Dirt 3 logo actually appears this time) it crashes on that.

EDIT: Got it to work, thanks for the help :) I went back and tried some of the other fixes in conjunction with the gfwl update and running as administrator worked.

mojiimbo

TheBothersomeMan said:
Well it wasn't launching at all, and I just tried Bobby Truffles solution and although it gets me further (the Dirt 3 logo actually appears this time) it crashes on that.

EDIT: Got it to work, thanks for the help :) I went back and tried some of the other fixes in conjunction with the gfwl update and running as administrator worked.
Yeah, I installed it for the first time yesterday and at first it wouldn't launch even after verifying files. I had to restart my computer and try again to get the initial GFWL installation to take. GFWL has been running fine since though.

wutwutwut

This is my first real racing game -- Burnout Paradise doesn't count I guess. Playing on PC with an Xbox 360 controller, and it seems like a lot of fun so far.

K701

Banned
Crosspost from the get dirt 3 for free thread; Thought you guys would be interested in seeing the game running in eyefinity 6:

IMG_0138.JPG

Lima

This is why hood view is the only way to play with a wheel. Cockpit view is fucking stupid. I already have a wheel in front of me.

Lima said:
This is why hood view is the only way to play with a wheel. Cockpit view is fucking stupid. I already have a wheel in front of me.
No, the best way is cockpit view with the steering wheel removed. Unfortunately only a few sims have this feature (e.g. Simbin games).

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah and those are a monthly fee and you have to pay per car and stupid fucking shit like that.

Also cockpit view is a waste of six screens. 60% of it is your roof.

Pazuzu9 said:
No, the best way is cockpit view with the steering wheel removed. Unfortunately only a few sims have this feature (e.g. Simbin games).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLxZrFXoWN4

K701 said:
Crosspost from the get dirt 3 for free thread; Thought you guys would be interested in seeing the game running in eyefinity 6:

IMG_0138.JPG
my god man change the FOV to 40 or something, the default 70'ish there makes the side and top screens completely pointless to have!

You will have to edit the xml file for each car but there is a tool out there which can do it in one sweep.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I got a free code for the game but my PC can barely run it (I have the bare minimum System Requirements).

God, I want those new PC parts. :(

Stallion Free said:

Yeah Monaco sucks a fat one. Stupid boring course.

Gvaz

Banned
Dude even my shittass laptop I got with my tuition can play dirt 3 on ultra low.

That being said, I can't wait to go back to my apartment where the internet doesnt suck and my computer and dirt 3 can bump uglies

54-46!

The game won't load for me on Steam, all I get is the "Preparing to launch.." pop-up and then nothing happens. I've tried verifying game cache and defragmenting game cache.

Specs: Phenom II X4 955, HD4890, 4GB RAM, Win7 x64, latest drivers etc.

EDIT: Oh, wow.. fuck this shit.

So I install GFWL, that doesn't work, I install the Live Login Assistant it linked me to, doesn't work, download and install another separate Login Assistant I found on my own, works, try to log on to GFWL, doesn't work, update certificate on Xbox.com, try to log in, works, try to run Dirt 3 from Steam... NOPE, UNEXPECTED ERROR.

Uninstall, thanks for reminding me why I fucking hate GFWL, Dirt 3.

DD

54-46! said:
The game won't load for me on Steam, all I get is the "Preparing to launch.." pop-up and then nothing happens. I've tried verifying game cache and defragmenting game cache.

Specs: Phenom II X4 955, HD4890, 4GB RAM, Win7 x64, latest drivers etc.

EDIT: Oh, wow.. fuck this shit.

So I install GFWL, that doesn't work, I install the Live Login Assistant it linked me to, doesn't work, download and install another separate Login Assistant I found on my own, works, try to log on to GFWL, doesn't work, update certificate on Xbox.com, try to log in, works, try to run Dirt 3 from Steam... NOPE, UNEXPECTED ERROR.

Uninstall, thanks for reminding me why I fucking hate GFWL, Dirt 3.
Try to open the ".exe" file on the game directory. I had this problem with some games either. Steam doesn't show any error message, but Windows does. Maybe there's a missing DLL. You'll just need to download it from the internet and drop it on the right folder.

Are there any ini tweaks or something to improve the graphics?
Runs smooth as butter fully maxed on my ancient 4870, wouldn't mind a bit more eye candy or better reflections or something if possible.

Also SMH so much DLC in this game, can't 'gold' complete the triangles unless you buy dlc, can't pick half the cars unless you buy them seperate, dude goes 'broski maybe you should buy some of that awesum dlc' at the start of the game.

I don't remember dirt 2 being like that.

Symphonic

Game is awesome aside from the DLC issues. The racing is tight and what not. My first venture into the DiRT series, so it's a nice surprise how well the cars handle and how great the tracks look.

But damn, that DLC. It's everywhere.

1-D_FTW

SneakyStephan said:
Are there any ini tweaks or something to improve the graphics?
Runs smooth as butter fully maxed on my ancient 4870, wouldn't mind a bit more eye candy or better reflections or something if possible.

Also SMH so much DLC in this game, can't 'gold' complete the triangles unless you buy dlc, can't pick half the cars unless you buy them seperate, dude goes 'broski maybe you should buy some of that awesum dlc' at the start of the game.

I don't remember dirt 2 being like that.

That's because Dirt 2 had zero DLC. This seems to be Codemaster's first foray into it and it's been handled less than spectacularly.

54-46!

Daniel Dantas said:
Try to open the ".exe" file on the game directory. I had this problem with some games either. Steam doesn't show any error message, but Windows does. Maybe there's a missing DLL. You'll just need to download it from the internet and drop it on the right folder.
Finally fixed it, had to disable "Run as admin..", got another problem now though, the menu in the GFWL ui isn't aligned with the mouse controls.

How well do the PS3 controller work on Dirt 3 (Motioninjoy)?

EDIT: LOL, GFWL also broke my mouse sens, THANKS.

1-D_FTW said:
That's because Dirt 2 had zero DLC. This seems to be Codemaster's first foray into it and it's been handled less than spectacularly.
Well other than 'unlock everything' codes, yeah. Grid had a car pack or two. Here's hoping they tone it down in their next games. I hate being bombarded with 'buy this! buy this!' after I've already paid for a game.

54-46! said:
Finally fixed it, had to disable "Run as admin..", got another problem now though, the menu in the GFWL ui isn't aligned with the mouse controls.

How well do the PS3 controller work on Dirt 3 (Motioninjoy)?

EDIT: LOL, GFWL also broke my mouse sens, THANKS.

Such a sin to not play racing games with a wheel man.

loblaw said:
Game is awesome aside from the DLC issues. The racing is tight and what not. My first venture into the DiRT series, so it's a nice surprise how well the cars handle and how great the tracks look.

But damn, that DLC. It's everywhere.
Idk the handling is way too forgiving, you just point the wheels to where you want to go and floor it and the car will follow, rarely do I have to adjust (only when making really big mistakes, and even then just easing off the throttle a bit is enough).

Manager said:
Anyone played PC-version with a X360 Microsoft wheel? Since FF doesn't work, might you just as well play it with a gamepad?

(Note: Since I've never used it on PC for any game I have no idea how shitty it is playing without FF)
The FF isn't very good anyhow in dirt3, and you at least still get the precision from a wheel.

Manager

Anyone played PC-version with a X360 Microsoft wheel? Since FF doesn't work, might you just as well play it with a gamepad? Tried Googling impressions without any good result.

(Note: Since I've never used it on PC for any game I have no idea how shitty it is playing without FF)

Symphonic

SneakyStephan said:
Such a sin to not play racing games with a wheel man.

Idk the handling is way too forgiving, you just point the wheels to where you want to go and floor it and the car will follow, rarely do I have to adjust (only when making really big mistakes, and even then just easing off the throttle a bit is enough).

Guess we're playing a completely different game then.

Manager

SneakyStephan said:
The FF isn't very good anyhow in dirt3, and you at least still get the precision from a wheel.

Thanks, guess I'll have to order one of those receivers then. Will there be any resistance in the wheel at all, or will the wheel be completely floaty?

loblaw said:
Guess we're playing a completely different game then.

Playing with assists off, manual shifting on my dfgt and there is absolutely no challenge to control the cars, it's all in memorising the tracks and finding a line through them.
Not sure what you want me to say.

Go play RBR and comment again =)

Manager said:
Thanks, guess I'll have to order one of those receivers then. Will there be any resistance in the wheel at all, or will the wheel be completely floaty?
Depending on what that receiver costs, maybe you are better off picking up a second hand driving force gt, I'm not a fan of logitech at all, but for the price it's a decent wheel.

There is a resistance option in the menu, so normally it shouldn't be floaty (it never is for non FFB wheels), but with proprietary MS shit you never know:p

Symphonic

SneakyStephan said:
Playing with assists off, manual shifting on my dfgt and there is absolutely no challenge to control the cars, it's all in memorising the tracks and finding a line through them.
Not sure what you want me to say.

Go play RBR and comment again =)

Depending on what that receiver costs, maybe you are better off picking up a second hand driving force gt, I'm not a fan of logitech at all, but for the price it's a decent wheel.

There is a resistance option in the menu, so normally it shouldn't be floaty (it never is for non FFB wheels), but with proprietary MS shit you never know:p

Wait, I never said it was difficult to control the cars. I said they handle well. I think we're talking about two different things.

Manager

SneakyStephan said:

I guess with the receiver I would also be able to use my gamepads for other PC games, but thanks for the tip. Might aswell just buy a wheel too if more good driving sims are released.

Max

I am not Max
Are there difficulty specific achievements? Or can someone just put it on the lowest difficulty and get every single thing (including REP points) exactly the same as people on Advanced?

Seems a bit too lenient

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
speaking of monaco, the street race course by the habour reminded me of Sega Rally 2 so much when playing at night, especially with the fireworks too. 90's Sega would be proud! =)
modern sega would be like 'DUUUUUUUURRRRR'.... :(
not to keep posting my youtube videos :p but it was the same to me too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrQdL5YixTM

start at 8:16 for SEGAAA RALLIIIEEEEEE as you explained.

Top Bottom