• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Max said:
Are there difficulty specific achievements? Or can someone just put it on the lowest difficulty and get every single thing (including REP points) exactly the same as people on Advanced?

Seems a bit too lenient
Yep difficulty has no bearing on achievements that I'm aware of. Personally I'm fine with that, Dirt 1 and 2 were the same way.

Got the game installed last night, my wheel hasn't arrived yet so I was just using the keyboard.

I did terrible, but that's because of the keyboard. I basically have to fishtail the entire time. Never used a wheel before but I was always good at racing games on the consoles so I should get better quickly once I have that.

Same complaints about needless menus, voice instructions, and dude-bro shit. Not going to say more on the matter since that's been beaten to death in this thread.

Game installed fine. Graphics are fine after setting it to the correct resolution. Sound is great on my surround setup.

I tried one multiplayer match. Just a point-to-point race. I finished 7th, then it disconnected me. Will have to test this more to see if I can actually play online or not with my crappy US internet, some games work better than others.

I think my live ID is LSMoofaa, and my steam ID is Moofaa if anyone wants to add me. With luck my wheel arrived today and I can play when I get off work.

Max

I am not Max
Neuromancer said:
Yep difficulty has no bearing on achievements that I'm aware of. Personally I'm fine with that, Dirt 1 and 2 were the same way.
I'm finding it fine with the Advanced options with difficulty options set to 3

Seems to be some kind of default without being ridiculous like the 5 setting

Lima

Max said:
Seems to be some kind of default without being ridiculous like the 5 setting

I did all the career races with the 5 setting. And this wasn't hard. 6 on the other hand is a whole different story. It is crazy how much harder the AI is.

1-D_FTW

Codemasters seems to be trolling by including a Drift event in the Rally Triangles. Yeah, I'm not OCD, Coddies. You can stick your yellow triangle you know where. Pass.

Salsa

Havent been following the thread but:

average fps in single player and benchmark: 59.8fps with everything on max and ultra

however, performance really drops in multiplayer (not cause im playing with other cars, since SP with AI opponents runs fine), and sometimes it turns into some kind of slideshow where it shows me 2 frames per second or something

any ideas?

Fëanor

Guys, I need some help. I want to watch the full replay after the race is over, but I see no option to do so, also I skipped the youtube settings during the set up and I get this message "LNG_NO_YOUTUBE_HARD_DRIVE_TITLE" and "LNG_NO_YOUTUBE_HARD_DRIVE_SUBTITLE".

So any solutions to my problem?

1-D_FTW

Fëanor said:
Guys, I need some help. I want to watch the full replay after the race is over, but I see no option to do so, also I skipped the youtube settings during the set up and I get this message "LNG_NO_YOUTUBE_HARD_DRIVE_TITLE" and "LNG_NO_YOUTUBE_HARD_DRIVE_SUBTITLE".

So any solutions to my problem?

???

Can't help you on the error messages. I too skipped the youtube settings (since I knew it was a joke anyways).

As for replays, it should come at the end of the race where you get the option to Exit on, Restart the Race, or Watch Replay.

1-D_FTW

Oh, man. It finally dawned on me why the Rally-X courses suck so badly compared to Dirt 2: they have to be wide open for easy drifting in the Gyncana stages. What a shame. Wish drifting games would get their own games. Oh, wait. They don't sell. Hint, hint, Codemasters. There's a reason they don't sell. Please never do this again to your games. And if you are, segregate that shit like you did in Grid.

Salsa

SalsaShark said:
Havent been following the thread but:

average fps in single player and benchmark: 59.8fps with everything on max and ultra

however, performance really drops in multiplayer (not cause im playing with other cars, since SP with AI opponents runs fine), and sometimes it turns into some kind of slideshow where it shows me 2 frames per second or something

any ideas?

anyone? :(

Fëanor

Actually I had the framerate drop quite a bit in the menus during MP session with friends. I do get some hits to my performance during the race, but not too bad.

DD

SalsaShark said:
The framerate during multiplayer races drops here too. The same thing happens with Dirt 2. It seems that the game locks it's framerate, although Dirt 3 locks in 43 FPS, which is weird.

Dirt 2 I think it locks in 30 FPS. Dunno why.

EDIT: but no slideshow here. xP

legbone

1-D_FTW said:
Oh, man. It finally dawned on me why the Rally-X courses suck so badly compared to Dirt 2: they have to be wide open for easy drifting in the Gyncana stages. What a shame. Wish drifting games would get their own games. Oh, wait. They don't sell. Hint, hint, Codemasters. There's a reason they don't sell. Please never do this again to your games. And if you are, segregate that shit like you did in Grid.

i agree completely. fuck all drifting and gymkhana. i really don't like either one. they need to get the clue that nobody i know (limited i admit) enjoys drifting in racing games or gymkhana in dirt 3. worst part of the game by far. we pretty much lost the different trophy trucks and buggies because of this shit i have a feeling. damn i miss my trophy trucks. and no, the truck in dirt 3 is not the same.

daw840

Just picked this up today. Loved Dirt, skipped Dirt 2, and this one is fucking awesome so far. Such an upgrade from Dirt. Dirt is one of like 2 games I have ever gotten 1000/1000 gamer points on. Let's see if I can do the same with this one...

For me on a c2d and gtx 260, I get 60fps in rally or single car races, 40ish when doing x-game multicar races and online it hops between 30 and 60ish at times with the framerate being sub 30 in party modes and multicar races, it really is weird.

mojiimbo

Piercedveil said:
Is there anyway I can use a 360 pad? Using the arrow keys doesn't feel right..
It's a Games for Windows Live game so it has perfect 360 controller support, at least from what I tried the other day.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Are there any tracks in dirt 3 that are similar to Sega Rally? I've been playing to two side by side for a few days and I honestly prefer the driving in Sega Rally mostly due to the deformable tracks and there's just more...squishiness to the off roading where dirt 3 most of the time just feels like I'm driving on a flat plane with particle effects. The steering and physics are superior in Dirt 3 when I change the driving difficulty though. Are there any settings I can change to make dirt a little more Sega Rally?

bs000

Piercedveil said:
Is there anyway I can use a 360 pad? Using the arrow keys doesn't feel right..

If you have a wired one, you can just plug it in and it'll work. If you have a wireless one, you can buy the official wireless receiver ($19.99). Just plug that in and sync your controller.

mojiimbo said:
It's a Games for Windows Live game so it has perfect 360 controller support, at least from what I tried the other day.

I actually did think about that, and then I checked its store page on Steam and it didn't say anything about it. I'll definitely try it in a bit though to see if I can get it set up. Thanks.

Max

I am not Max
Lima said:
I did all the career races with the 5 setting. And this wasn't hard. 6 on the other hand is a whole different story. It is crazy how much harder the AI is.
I'm really wishing that each race was tiered with the default difficulties

What is the reasoning with these assists? I joined a multiplayer lobby and all the settings were lenient, do the assists even really matter? Do they give you less control over your car the more casual?

I'm over-thinking this.

I used the 360 controller for it and it worked PERFECT. I really enjoyed playing it that way. I thought the graphics and gameplay were awesome, and I was surprised the game ran as well as it did.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Max said:
I'm really wishing that each race was tiered with the default difficulties

What is the reasoning with these assists? I joined a multiplayer lobby and all the settings were lenient, do the assists even really matter? Do they give you less control over your car the more casual?

I'm over-thinking this.
If you use assists in multiplayer, it's kinda like using an aimbot in Counter-Strike. Thank god they allow the host to control if people can use assists.

daw840

I tell you what, this DLC seems like bullshit to me. There is already probably $30 worth of DLC for this game. You know they could have just included these cars and tracks, but no....money grab.

*edit* wrong thread :S

all dlc in this game is purely farming money, car packs in launch trailers not in the final game, ported x-games tracks from dirt 2... terrible shit from codies.

Diablohead said:
all dlc in this game is purely farming money, car packs in launch trailers not in the final game, ported x-games tracks from dirt 2... terrible shit from codies.

You're right...I hate this shit. I'm done with DLC like this. It just somehow ruins the game for me.

The DLC isn't the only thing that wreeks of shit in this game. The achievements do too.

Just got done finishing all the gymkhana crap, all platinums, got the achievement for that but I've haven't one for getting all silver or gold medals. When I did it, it popped up and said '4 for 70g' but I looked on my profile and its only done 2 - the platinum achievement and the one for simply doing all the challenges.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Whoever the fucking asswipe is at Codemasters who put the Gymkhana and drift challenge shit into this game needs to be immediately fired and spend the rest of his life working as a fry cook.

Way to completely and utterly ruin an otherwise fun game.

Shaneus

Is it worth me setting up the DFGT for Dirt 3 on PC? It's weird... F1 was great with it, yet I could never get it feeling right with Dirt 2.

1-D_FTW

Sinatar said:
Whoever the fucking asswipe is at Codemasters who put the Gymkhana and drift challenge shit into this game needs to be immediately fired and spend the rest of his life working as a fry cook.

LOL

I honestly think they were trolling with it. Seriously, how the fuck else do you explain putting a drifting event in the one Rally sub-triangle?

I put almost 50 hours into the single player and TT events of Dirt 2. I think I'm finished with the game half-way through the 3rd Big triangle (and about 13 hours on my Steam profile). Dirt 2 rapes this game and it's comical looking back at all the rhetoric that was said during the pre-release hype phases of Dirt 3. Comical. I do think the handling model is slightly better in 3. That's about all I award a victory to.

SmokyDave

Sinatar said:

Agreed but my worry is that the sales will lead them to believe that this is what people want. Hell, maybe it is. I just want a decent successor to Colin McRae 2.0 or Rallisport Challenge 2 that isn't RBR. Something new. Just point to point rally stages, ideally.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
I put almost 50 hours into the single player and TT events of Dirt 2. I think I'm finished with the game half-way through the 3rd Big triangle (and about 13 hours on my Steam profile). Dirt 2 rapes this game and it's comical looking back at all the rhetoric that was said during the pre-release hype phases of Dirt 3. Comical. I do think the handling model is slightly better in 3. That's about all I award a victory to.
Dirt 3 has significantly better Rally/Trailblazer content, but Dirt 2 never stoops to Gymkhana so it wins overall.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
Dirt 3 has significantly better Rally/Trailblazer content, but Dirt 2 never stoops to Gymkhana so it wins overall.

What do you mean by content? Cars? I'd agree with that. But IMO Dirt 2 has much better tracks. And maybe I'm nuts, but it really does seem like 2 has more Rally environments.

The cars are kind of a wash for me, though. For one big reason: my favorite Trailblazer car is the Dallenbach Special. Dirt 3 definitely has a better roster in terms of quantity, but the Dallenbach is my favorite.

Plus, in Dirt 2, you could race the Dallenback on any single course you wanted in TT. No restrictions. I don't consider the Dirt series to be sim. To me, it's pure arcade. And the Dallenbach was the best balls-to-wall car for high speed racing. To have that aspect completely yanked out sucks. Heck, you can't even race Trailblazer cars in TT on Monte Carlo. And those are freaking rally courses. There were a zillion courses I could race the old Dallenbach on. And in 3, the developers have deemed they no more about fun than I do. And apparently, Trailblazers are only fun on courses they deem acceptable. I disagree with that premise.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
What do you mean by content? Cars? I'd agree with that. But IMO Dirt 2 has much better tracks. And maybe I'm nuts, but it really does seem like 2 has more Rally environments.
In 2 it felt like there was far less track variety for Trailblazer and Rally.

There were about 10x more rally cross tracks though.

I love the Dallenback special too, but the Tacoma made me overlook it's absence.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
In 2 it felt like there was far less track variety for Trailblazer and Rally.

There were about 10x more rally cross tracks though.

I love the Dallenback special too, but the Tacoma made me overlook it's absence.

I think my fundamental issue is how I played Dirt 2. I could literally spend an hour racing nothing but Battlesea or LA with the Dallenbach. And even after I got tired of that, I went back and played some of the seldomly run truck courses with the Dallenbach in TT. There were so many tracks to just chill arcade style with. If I could race the non-rally courses with Trailblazer cars like in 2, it would hold much greater longevity for me.

Interesting, I installed the F1 2010 EMB series mod filter to DiRT 3 and the difference is quite nice, a few tweaks to sharpness and bloom and the game really looks lovely, might be able to tweak it even more but i'm not going to waste much time on this, just for fun really.

27xovfc.png

1-D_FTW

Diablohead said:
Interesting, I installed the F1 2010 EMB series mod filter to DiRT 3 and the difference is quite nice, a few tweaks to sharpness and bloom and the game really looks lovely, might be able to tweak it even more but i'm not going to waste much time on this, just for fun really.

http://i56.tinypic.com/27xovfc.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

The plutonium filter;)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
I think my fundamental issue is how I played Dirt 2. I could literally spend an hour racing nothing but Battlesea or LA with the Dallenbach. And even after I got tired of that, I went back and played some of the seldomly run truck courses with the Dallenbach in TT. There were so many tracks to just chill arcade style with. If I could race the non-rally courses with Trailblazer cars like in 2, it would hold much greater longevity for me.
See I got so sick of Battersea after completing the tree of events that I never really want to race on it again. I also got really tired of LA's visuals plus it also had events with way too many laps. I'm just not a fan of Rally Cross tracks in general, at least no where near as much as regular Rally Courses/Trailblazer. I do agree removing the drive any car on any track option was a massive oversight as my friends and I would love to mix and match the trailblazer/rally cars with each others courses.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
my thoughts for the dirt series and gymkhana going forward...

codies gets an A fucking + for including the fairly massive gymkhana playspace for you to mess around in to your hearts content. it works as an area to hone your rally skills as well as a format to truly show off those skills to others (with all assists off). additionally, i love tearing through trying random stuff and occasionally getting rewarded for completing "missions" as i go.

however, the more structured events (including sprints and drift) are not as fun, and should not be something the player is forced to compete in regularly during the career. i would like to see one tournament at the end of each season that you could chose to take part in and for it to otherwise be limited to multiplayer modes.

... but really, hopefully the debate over gymkhana is worthless as codies will hopefully pick up the wrc license and make a focused rally game next ;)

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
See I got so sick of Battersea after completing the tree of events that I never really want to race on it again. I also got really tired of LA's visuals plus it also had events with way too many laps. I'm just not a fan of Rally Cross tracks in general, at least no where near as much as regular Rally Courses/Trailblazer. I do agree removing the drive any car on any track option was a massive oversight as my friends and I would love to mix and match the trailblazer/rally cars with each others courses.

Yeah. That's the whole point. I'm not saying my method of play style is for everyone, but if the developer's give you the option to play however you want, more people are going to find something they really like to play. To remove it solely because the director has a vision and he wants people to appreciate the proper way to play is self-indulgent.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. That's the whole point. I'm not saying my method of play style is for everyone, but if the developer's give you the option to play however you want, more people are going to find something they really like to play. To remove it solely because the director has a vision and he wants people to appreciate the proper way to play is self-indulgent.
Well we already know that the director for the game was off his rocker because of Gymkhana it's only fitting that that was one of many bad decisions.

Gymkhana score attacks are cool
Gymkhana speed runs are alright
Gymkhana do all given tasts in 30 seconds for plat are bullshit, that mode is a mess up once and retry style mode and I dislike those, in fact I hate using retry in racing games where possible, in rally racing at least you can make up lost time from a crash in the next stage.

Top Bottom