• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

cj_iwakura

d4.png

Release Date, Platform, Pricing
disgaea3-art1a.jpg

September 2011, PS3 Exclusive.
$49.99 for the regular, $59.99 for the LE w/ artbook,
$119.99 for the Premium with figurines.

The Story So Far
disgaea2-art4a.jpg

The Netherrealm - a vile, corrupt place, fraught with evil,
despair, and twenty-four hour school days.

The Netherrealm consists of innumerable Netherworlds;
each ruled by an Overlord, a demon of immeasurable power.

It is in this one Netherworld that a mighty vampire known as Valvatorez
holds sway. Strangely enough, this vampire not only refuses to drink human blood,
but has taken it upon himself to safeguard the lives of the Prinnies under his care.

One particularly dark day, Valvatorez's Prinnies go missing.

Someone has some explaining to do, and if not, heads will roll.

To keep the Prinnies safe, Valvatorez is willing to go to war against hell itself:
the Netherworld Corruptternment.

The Netherworldian Players

disgaea-art5a.jpg

"This idiot wants to save Prinnies? And you want to play as him?
You're just as big a loser as he is."

The Protagonist
d41-1.png

The Fangirl
d42-1.png

The Garou
d43-1.png

The Politician
d44-1.png

The Angelic
d45-1.png

The Rock-Star
d46.png

The Final Boss(!?)
d47.png

Boxarts

7XB7O.jpg

(JP)

147275e.jpg

(US)

Limited Edition Swag
MFIxi.jpg

Screens

All of the series' classic sprites have been fully redone in gorgeous HD, bringing the art of Disgaea to life like never before.

Disgaea-4_2010_10-06-10_49.jpg

Disgaea-4_2010_10-06-10_09.jpg

d44.jpg

d45.jpg

d41.jpg

d42.jpg

d43.jpg

Videos
makai-art3a.jpg

Opening

DLC INSANITY!
Asagi, slow-motion gunplay, orbital laser handwriting!
(She will be the main character. HER TIME IS NOW!)

English Trailer, featuring Ragna The Blooded- Patrick Seitz!
Take a dump on common sense!

WTF Is Disgaea!?
disgaea-art6a.jpg

http://hardcoregaming101.net/nipponichi/nipponichi2.htm <~ Read that.

Reviews
disgaea3-art6a.jpg

(TBA)

PSN IDs
disgaea-art7a.jpg

Why is this here? Because we can make our own maps and go to war with each other!

Or so the story goes.

cj_iwakura - cj_iwakura
Penguin nerd - Nerd_Boy777
Nix - Sayoshii
Negator - Negatorz
Corran Horn - Corran
MotionBlue - MotionBlue

Awesome OT. Going to be hard to wait another week for this. D:

I wish I could have a Prinny hat...

Edit: Oh, PSN ID is Nerd_Boy777

Nix

Banned
Fuck Cj! I wanted to do the OP!

Just kidding (...no, no I'm not), I like your OP man, it looks great. Can't wait to fire this up and start playing the shit outta it.

Am I weird for being more exited for the artbook than the actual game? Because I am.

Edit: PSN ID: Sayoshii

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lucentto said:
I really want to try this game out. But fuck, SRPGs have never sat well with me. VC was the only one.

You should try Disgaea 3 first. High level play can be intimidating, but you can play through the whole story mode without much frustration. The battle system is fantastic and it's really not all that complex, give it a shot.

Negator

Fuck yeah! My Super Baller Edition shipped yesterday. I'm stoked to play this game!

Who wants to race to the Platinum trophy? PSN ID is Negatorz

Lucentto

Banned
Snuggler said:
You should try Disgaea 3 first. High level play can be complex, but you can play through the whole story mode without much frustration. The battle system is fantastic and it's really not all that complex, don't let it intimidate you.
Is it not possible to just go with this one? I don't really want to get something earlier in the series when a sequel is releasing soon. It's either this or WC2 for me, this just looks more interesting.

cj_iwakura

Negator said:
Fuck yeah! My Super Baller Edition shipped yesterday. I'm stoked to play this game!

Who wants to race to the Platinum trophy?

If you Platinumed Disgaea 3, you're a robot. I submit myself to a higher power.

I beat the game, and I'm at 4%.

I shiver to think what D4 might expect for trophies.

Also, Fuka is the ish.

Also also, every Disgaea is stand alone. Jump on in.

cj_iwakura said:

Also, Fuka is the ish.
i forgot who platinum'ed both the japanese and english version. i think it was D3 or demon's souls lol. but either way they did both.

Varion

Man, this thread appearing to remind me I need to finish getting the platinum sometime. Already played for as long as it took to get 3's (~110 hours-ish) and haven't even got half the trophies yet ;_; So much ship parts collecting.

Fantastic game though. Can't really compare it to the original since it's been so long since I last played it, but I definitely enjoyed the main story a lot more than 2 and 3. Valvatorez is such an awesome protagonist, I usually ditch the leads in the postgame and play as better characters but I couldn't bring myself to stop using him.

Lucentto said:
Is it not possible to just go with this one? I don't really want to get something earlier in the series when a sequel is releasing soon. It's either this or WC2 for me, this just looks more interesting.
Sure, no direct story connection or anything. Personally I'd say go with this rather than 3 because, well, it's better. And has the shiny new HD sprites.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lucentto said:

This is going to be better than WKC2, there is no question. It looks like a major upgrade over D3 and it's sure to have hundreds of hours of content.

I only mentioned D3 because it's a cheap way for you to get an idea of how the series plays before you drop $60 on this one.

Negator

cj_iwakura said:

The hardest one was the 10 Million Damage trophy. I cheesed it with Hero Prinny DLC.

Negator said:

Who wants to race to the Platinum trophy? PSN ID is Negatorz

Looked at the list. I'm game! That platinum trophy icon is epic.

Also I'm envious of all you people who had their copy already shipped. :(

cj_iwakura

D3's plot was kind of underwhelming, truth be told, but it had its moments.

Namely Champloo and Raspberyl and Almaz. Oddly enough, everyone but Mao.

The plot to D4 sounds awesome.

Mikey Jr.

Varion said:
Man, this thread appearing to remind me I need to finish getting the platinum sometime. Already played for as long as it took to get 3's (~110 hours-ish) and haven't even got half the trophies yet ;_; So much ship parts collecting.

Fantastic game though. Can't really compare it to the original since it's been so long since I last played it, but I definitely enjoyed the main story a lot more than 2 and 3. Valvatorez is such an awesome protagonist, I usually ditch the leads in the postgame and play as better characters but I couldn't bring myself to stop using him.

Sure, no direct story connection or anything. Personally I'd say go with this rather than 3 because, well, it's better. And has the shiny new HD sprites.

In terms of gameplay, how would you rate 4 among the others? The best one yet?

AwShucks

So looking forward to this. Although I never did beat Disgaea 3 as one stage pissed me off so royally that I gave up on it.

Varion

cj_iwakura said:
D3's plot was kind of underwhelming, truth be told, but it had its moments.
It really was. Buy Disgaea games for the postgame anyway so it wasn't a massively big deal or anything, but it was definitely a letdown.

Mikey Jr. said:
In terms of gameplay, how would you rate 4 among the others? The best one yet?
Overall I'd say yeah, they've pretty much got better on the gameplay front with every game and this one's no exception. The new item world routes are pretty cool, as was the combining monsters to make a giant one system, although I don't generally use monsters so didn't get much use out of it. It's kind of fun to be able to send people to your friends' assemblies too, even if they don't usually get you that many amazing bribes and you'll probably just get them hating you if your character keeps voting against them.

That said I did have one grumble in that duping is a right pain in the ass to do now, for anyone who intends to spend ages on the postgame. You either have to work to find your dropouts (takes ages), use the assembly (good luck with that, they'll never vote no when you want them to), or partner up with a friend and dupe off each others pirates. Which is what I went for in the end.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Negator said:
Oh my god, items are going to get even more ridiculous.

Bronze Trophy:
Reach item level 300
Oh god...Its going to be the same as 3 for me...spend like 50+ hours and get 5% of the trophies haha.

DMPrince said:
Sorry nis. can't afford you on day 1. will have to wait for a price drop. but hey. i'm buying Cladun X2.

My plans exactly. That and Atelier Totori.

I know I'll just get bogged down if I try to start Disgaea 4 anyway - I still need to get through Disgaea 1 PSP. I want to like this series but sometimes it feels so hard to do so.

Rarutos

Nice OT, Mr. Iwakura!

Dem sprites were more than enough to convince me to grab this! Just... Not the figure set. I think I'll try to bum rush through the first three Disgaea games soon so I can actually justify my purchasing of this so quickly...

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Looks real good finally, waiting for the price drop though.

boingball

Nice OT.

I ordered my Premium Edition a couple of weeks ago from NIS site. Probably will take two weeks until it gets to New Zealand.

Can't wait for next week. I plan to sink in at least 1k hours into this game (since Japanese gamers are saying this is better than 3). I only sank 150 hours in Phantom Brave (last NIS game I played), but I'm planning to overdo it with this one.

PSN ID: F999KR

please add me to the list.

Cheska

Making a change and giving these games another chance. Actually watched some videos, and read a little more about the game, so I'm ready for the dive :D

I got my D3 platinum, I and am finally ready for this game. No racing for me, the last platinum took me two years! I'm really excited about D4, not enough games like anymore.
UHN. Not sure if I'll screw with the map maker much but I'll at least push out one crazy map for fun.

Top Bottom