• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

balddemon

Banned
I really want this Day1...but I haven't beaten any of D3 yet lol. I crushed Disgaea DS though.
Maybe I'lll get this like day....25ish?

Great OT btw.

PSN id: The Haighter

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
balddemon said:
I really want this Day1...but I haven't beaten any of D3 yet lol. I crushed Disgaea DS though.
Maybe I'lll get this like day....25ish?

Great OT btw.

PSN id: The Haighter
I never beat 3 -.-''
Im 55 hours in and right at the end whenever I want to finish it. I instead went down the rabbit hole of leveling up. Should just do it though.

Varion said:
Overall I'd say yeah, they've pretty much got better on the gameplay front with every game and this one's no exception.

Hmmm, problematic. Anyone who would agree that Disgaea 3 has much worse systems overall than the first game want to weigh in on the system quality in D4?

TheExodu5

Banned
I didn't like the skill learning system in D3, but otherwise, it's a big step up in terms of mechanics compared to the first game, IMO. D2 was probably the most solid, overall.

Takuan

Nice sprites. I've always been intrigued by the Disgaea series, but those sprites were way past their prime. This is more like it. Will buy if it goes on sale.

TheExodu5 said:
I didn't like the skill learning system in D3, but otherwise, it's a big step up in terms of mechanics compared to the first game, IMO. D2 was probably the most solid, overall.
I thought they got better as they went. After playing so much more of 3 than the previous two, maybe it's just brainwashing lol. I've really stayed away from any descriptions of the mechanics in 4 but I'm hoping it just gets batshit insane. That's what I love about Disgaea.

Not really looking forward to this.

One of the few games that I'll sink three hours into of a night time, and then around 8 hours in my head as I try to sleep. Tossing and turning as I play endless battles over and over.

Damn the item world :|

So Day 1

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The game did keep a classic sprite option in, right? Something about the HD sprites feels off to me, like they lost some of their charm. Maybe it is just those shots.

AwShucks

DMPrince said:
Sorry nis. can't afford you on day 1. will have to wait for a price drop. but hey. i'm buying Cladun X2.

Well, it's already a "budget" title if you compare to 95% of other titles, since the normal version if $50.

So hopefully that either sways you or you won't have to wait long for a drop to $40. But Disgaea could definitely use some sales.

tafer

Pre-ordered as soon as it was possible from the NISA site.

I have huge expectations for this game, specially after the not so great D3. (I guess it is silly to expect the magic from D1, but anything close to it will be enough)

Hngh, I can't really afford this game right now and there are too many other games over the rest of the year that already beg for my attention. Guess I wont play D4 before earlier next year. Makes me sad. :(

froliq

Genjikage said:
Is this coming out in Australia? I wants, will import if I have to, but means no DLC =\
EU date is October 26. I assume the AUS one is near it.

I might wait for the EU release myself. Depends how fast I can wrap up Xenoblade and I haven't even touched Deus Ex yet.

Varion

Drkirby said:
The game did keep a classic sprite option in, right? Something about the HD sprites feels off to me, like they lost some of their charm. Maybe it is just those shots.
Yeah, you can switch the sprites to classic mode in the options at any time during the game if you'd prefer that.

charlequin said:
Hmmm, problematic. Anyone who would agree that Disgaea 3 has much worse systems overall than the first game want to weigh in on the system quality in D4?
Well 4 basically builds on everything they did in 3, so if you really didn't like that then I get the impression you'll probably feel the same about this... Evilities, the Class World, the skill learning system, the weapon proficiency system, magichanges, tower attacks, bouncing etc are all still intact. The game added some new features, but I can't actually think of anything it changed significantly or got rid of from 3. What was it about 3 that you didn't like? Or all of the above?

Varion said:
Yeah, you can switch the sprites to classic mode in the options at any time during the game if you'd prefer that.

Well 4 basically builds on everything they did in 3, so if you really didn't like that then I get the impression you'll probably feel the same about this... Evilities, the Class World, the skill learning system, the weapon proficiency system, magichanges, tower attacks, bouncing etc are all still intact. The game added some new features, but I can't actually think of anything it changed significantly or got rid of from 3. What was it about 3 that you didn't like? Or all of the above?
wait, you can really switch to low res sprites? When he asked that I thought it was a joke. I thought D3 sprites looked off because on the ps3. It's nice they put the option in there.

Varion said:
Well 4 basically builds on everything they did in 3, so if you really didn't like that then I get the impression you'll probably feel the same about this...

Part of what makes Disgaea great is that it starts tossing these abusable, broken systems at you right at the start because it knows that ultimately, this is a game about leveling to 9999 and whatever "broken" combos or ability sets you can put together on your level 12 guys aren't going to amount to anything later on.

For reasons that entirely escape me, D3 decides that letting people abuse the systems is problematic and so everything has completely pointless limiters on it. You can't just set up combos, you have to memorize which abilities are combo breakers! You can't just teach people abilities from other classes, you have to use (effectively limited) reincarnations to do it in a really roundabout way! It's like the most miserly way you could make a gonzo ultra-leveling game.

Ken

Looking forward to this game.

Also, if anyone wants:

51eb9b36.png
d9fac074.png
a48b31c5.png
63dc5a4e.png
78ac33f6.png

3cdb252f.png
f72a8e45.png
9455f1c8.png
c413f390.png

94ced500.png
855a870c.png
c718cedb.png
20bfa43a.png
d5a872f5.png

f85b9592.png
d597f133.png
e4fa1f0c.png

cj_iwakura

So I hear the 'multiplayer' is really just importing your party's data into the network, which is then AI-powered to invade other players' games.

Sad, but ah well. True turn-based multi in Disgaea would be ridiculous anyway, let's face it.

Varion

cj_iwakura said:
So I hear the 'multiplayer' is really just importing your party's data into the network, which is then AI-powered to invade other players' games.
Pretty much. Hell, when you're fighting other sets of pirates online you don't even control your own characters, they're AI controlled too. The whole system is just pointless, to be honest, the only reason I ever used it is when you beat another user's pirates you get a phone that you can use to summon them in the item world. Which you can then use for duping with a friend.

Varion said:
Pretty much. Hell, when you're fighting other sets of pirates online you don't even control your own characters, they're AI controlled too. The whole system is just pointless, to be honest, the only reason I ever used it is when you beat another user's pirates you get a phone that you can use to summon them in the item world. Which you can then use for duping with a friend.
What the hell?
It reminds me of that bizarre Versus mode in R-Type Final.

AniHawk

well you can't control your characters in pirate battles, but you can control them in map battles. the only thing you have control over in pirate battles is the ai you set for each character

boingball

Genjikage said:
Is this coming out in Australia? I wants, will import if I have to, but means no DLC =\

You can create a US account on your PS3, buy a US$ PSN card and buy the DLC on the US Store. The DLC will work then with all accounts on your PS3 incl. your Oz account. I am doing this all the time (Games in USD are much cheaper than in NZD or AUD nowadays...).

Nyx

Never played a Disgaea before, but love SRPGs.

I guess the gameplay of Disgaea is the same as f.e. Final Fantasy Tactics ?
Or does it have significant differences ?

Anyway, looks awesome, will buy.

Nyx said:
Or does it have significant differences ?.

Similar sort of gameplay, but a different focus. You will quickly learn that the story parts of the game really are not the point. The best fun can be had basically grinding away in randomly generated levels increasing your stats and fighting ever harder and harder enemies. To do you have to cheat a little and break the systems, but the game (generally) in the past encourages you to do so. This sort of thing really brought me in.

As such it may take a bit longer to get into the 'real game'. Some people just play through the story and it never quite 'clicks'. Certainly worth a go to see if it is right for you.

Nyx said:
Never played a Disgaea before, but love SRPGs.

Or does it have significant differences ?

Its much deeper, statistically mindblowing in damage, and less serious in terms of story.

Top Bottom