• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

Mxrz

I snagged the D3 platinum without too much trouble. Think the most tedious bit was looking for one of the pirates. I guess it is about time for a new one. Are Marjoly and Prier regulated to 1 scene DLCs again? Ugh.

And just for once, I would like to be able to keep a succubus or other monster throughtout the entire game, and not have them be total weaksauce compared to the demi-gods you can capture post game. So annoying.

i really want to play disagaea 4 ...i'm very intrested with this game however , these are such time sinkers and i'm busy with equally long titles ...a real shame .

maybe i'll get it when NIS will release the DLC

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The Premium Edition box is a lot smaller than I expected. It's not like the Rorona/AT3 style boxes they've been using... the box itself is about the size of a standard PS3 game, just thicker to account for the figure.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kagari said:
The Premium Edition box is a lot smaller than I expected. It's not like the Rorona/AT3 style boxes they've been using... the box itself is about the size of a standard PS3 game, just thicker to account for the figure.
Got it already? :eek:

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Kagari said:
:(

I want...now.

aw, I sorta like those big boxes

Ken said:
Looking forward to this game.

Also, if anyone wants:
63dc5a4e.png

I'll bum this pink one, thanks!

tiff

Banned
After a few hours of Disgaea 3 I'm still not sure if this is my series, but I have a weakness for niche JRPGs so I'll be jumping in Day 1 with the Premium Edition either way!

Subscribing~

TheExodu5

Banned
tiff said:
After a few hours of Disgaea 3 I'm still not sure if this is my series, but I have a weakness for niche JRPGs so I'll be jumping in Day 1 with the Premium Edition either way!

Subscribing~

Now, I never really got into D3 either, but these games really start shining once you get into the post-game. The progression is insane...it feels so good to be able to power level characters like crazy and deal out millions of damage.

Getting this game AFTER labor day is a real shot in the dick. I'm going to pick this and resistance up and have about 2 hours before I go to work. I just hope I can save and reload 235 times until I finally find the valuable random thing or person I need, that's the best part :D!!!!! !

Cheska

Kagari said:

So the artbook isn't very big then :(

Negator

Kagari said:

I NEED PICTURES STAT

BobTheFork said:
Getting this game AFTER labor day is a real shot in the dick. I'm going to pick this and resistance up and have about 2 hours before I go to work. I just hope I can save and reload 235 times until I finally find the valuable random thing or person I need, that's the best part :D!!!!! !

haha, this is definitely the best part

Erekiddo

Bought a PS3 for Disgaea 3, so, this is a welcome addition.

Currently have an order with Amazon for the premium version with release date guarantee.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AniHawk said:
the box looks kinda like this

sk7UA.jpg

Yep, that's it. Like I said, it's very different than what I was expecting! And yeah, it means the artbook is small :<

I don't have my copy yet, but soon~

Sonicbug

I’ve been playing to review for a site I write for, but I’m running out of time and probably won’t end up beating it before the game comes out. *sigh* STUPID HURRICANE! How dare you take away my power!

I ended up skipping Disgaea 3, so I’m not sure what’s new from 3 to 4. The english voice acting is up to the usual NISA standards though. The guy voicing Valvatorez is pretty damn good. The one thing that's annoying me is the slow unlocking of the different gameplay systems. I wanted to jump right in to item worlds and all that stuff at the beginning, but in the interest of not breaking new players they dole out all that stuff slowly.

Yeah yeah, lame complaint, but whatever. I will push onward! I wish I already knew which maps are the best to cheese the system and power level on... but oh well.

Oh they did ship my copy yet. Not only is it going to take forever to ship it, but they can't cant even ship it out early either. Sometimes it kinda sucks to be Canadian.

DaBuddaDa

I haven't played a Disgaea game since the day D1 came out in the US, but I don't think I can resist those hi-res sprites...

balddemon

Banned
Okay so my check this week will be 1k+ (OT ftw) so I'm definitely getting this day 1...only $50...maybe $60 if I get the LE. I really want the CE but I've got other things to spend my money on :( Huzzah for my first Day 1 console game!

Schlep

Have this preordered on Amazon with a $10 Kindle coupon and the rest already paid. Unfortunately, it probably won't be here until Tuesday. I guess someday I'll have to go back and play 2 & 3...

PSN: SchlepNT

What the in the name of the Overlord is THIS? Why is Brady doing the strategy guide for 4? I always bought the Double Jump guides because they matched my level of fanaticism for the games. Just crazy things that I wouldn't even consider trying they had. I'm sure I'll still enjoy Disgaea but without a Double Jump guide it just won't be the same.

Erekiddo

TestMonkey said:
What the in the name of the Overlord is THIS? Why is Brady doing the strategy guide for 4? I always bought the Double Jump guides because they matched my level of fanaticism for the games. Just crazy things that I wouldn't even consider trying they had. I'm sure I'll still enjoy Disgaea but without a Double Jump guide it just won't be the same.

Just peeked over to the Double Jump Books website, and it seems he semi-retired from the guide business due to them not selling well. Shit. I have a bunch of guides from DJB. They were excellent.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
TestMonkey said:

Thanks for linking this as I had no idea there was a guide. Ordered.

bryehn

NeoNess said:
Just peeked over to the Double Jump Books website, and it seems he semi-retired from the guide business due to them not selling well. Shit. I have a bunch of guides from DJB. They were excellent.

The D3 guide was amazing, except the binding came unglued. Think I'll go digital if that's an option this time.

Lain

I still have to preorder this.
I just can't settle if I should preorder from NISA for the OST, which kills me on shipping prices or go with vg+, which means no OST, acceptable shipping prices but 1 month waiting for it to get here.

Ken

Lain said:
I still have to preorder this.
I just can't settle if I should preorder from NISA for the OST, which kills me on shipping prices or go with vg+, which means no OST, acceptable shipping prices but 1 month waiting for it to get here.
1 month of waiting?

How long and how much is NISA shipping for you?

lljride

Forgot to add my PSN to the mix yesterday. PSN lljride.

USPS is so freaking annoying. I got the shipping confirmation email on Friday, but USPS still says shipping info not available. REALLY hope I get this by the 3 day weekend.

Lain

Ken said:
1 month of waiting?

How long and how much is NISA shipping for you?
Yeah, 1 month more or less. I don't know why, but it started taking longer for their stuff to get here (Italy).

Shipping from NISA isn't high per se (15.48$, USPS First-Class International), but I'm worried about customs, which could add another 30$.

Ken

Lain said:
Yeah, 1 month more or less. I don't know why, but it started taking longer for their stuff to get here (Italy).

Shipping from NISA isn't high per se (15.48$, USPS First-Class International), but I'm worried about customs, which could add another 30$.
That customs fee sounds rough but a month of waiting is pretty long. I don't think I could wait a month for an already released game. D:

Kind of glad I haven't gotten charged any customs fees for my imports yet.

Owensboro

I'm going to ask a strange question that I hope GAF can answer for me: Are there any "How to Play" guides / videos for these games? You see, I loved both D1 and D2 when they came out, but I don't think I actually every truly beat either of them. When I finally got a copy of D3 I think I only played for around 10 hours because at that point I felt like I just wasn't doing something right. I didn't fully understand multiple parts of the battle system (In particular, Tower Attacks, re-incarnation, and item leveling). I felt like I wasn't taking full advantage of those things and was suffering for it.

I really want to play D4 because I'm a sucker for turn-based-strategy (especially the grid variety) but I want to feel like I'm not doing things wrong. Does this game do a better job of teaching you not only how to use it's extra systems, but also why to use them? I'm thinking one of the reasons I never tried to do any of the Tower attacks, Reincarnation, or Item Leveling was because I never really understood why you would want to do them in the first place. For instance, why spend the hour it would take to level up and item when you will just buy a better one later? Why stack everyone in a Tower and take one turn, when you could have everyone take individual turns and kill faster? Why Reincarnate and cripple your character back at Level 1, only to have to babysit them to level them up again? Why have that monster combine with that character to make a weapon when you could have both characters attack separately and do more damage?

I'm sure that I am incredibly wrong in those assumptions and I want to be told the right way to play! Help me GAF!

Owensboro said:
I'm going to ask a strange question that I hope GAF can answer for me: Are there any "How to Play" guides / videos for these games? You see, I loved both D1 and D2 when they came out, but I don't think I actually every truly beat either of them. When I finally got a copy of D3 I think I only played for around 10 hours because at that point I felt like I just wasn't doing something right. I didn't fully understand multiple parts of the battle system (In particular, Tower Attacks, re-incarnation, and item leveling). I felt like I wasn't taking full advantage of those things and was suffering for it.

I really want to play D4 because I'm a sucker for turn-based-strategy (especially the grid variety) but I want to feel like I'm not doing things wrong. Does this game do a better job of teaching you not only how to use it's extra systems, but also why to use them? I'm thinking one of the reasons I never tried to do any of the Tower attacks, Reincarnation, or Item Leveling was because I never really understood why you would want to do them in the first place. For instance, why spend the hour it would take to level up and item when you will just buy a better one later? Why stack everyone in a Tower and take one turn, when you could have everyone take individual turns and kill faster? Why Reincarnate and cripple your character back at Level 1, only to have to babysit them to level them up again? Why have that monster combine with that character to make a weapon when you could have both characters attack separately and do more damage?

I'm sure that I am incredibly wrong in those assumptions and I want to be told the right way to play! Help me GAF!

Item leveling provides instant results of getting more HP and stats on your weapon, even just going in the item world once for ten levels makes the item better, certainly better than spending tons to get the weapon.

The advantage for tower attacks was get everyone in a tower then you can just keep throwing everyone wherever and deal attacks, or just to take advantage over everyone in a tower gaining exp and mana from the same enemy, if I recall.

I usually follow those item and character maximization guides, since item level, reincarnation are really best reserved for after the story mode...usually.

Given my history with this series, me putting this game in my gamefly queue is the definition of insanity.

I've never beaten a Disgaea game, I never bother to fully understand all the mechanics, and I often go into battles with a weary attitude instead of a mind for strategy. In fact there have been several times where I've loaded up a Disgaea 3 save, instantly felt exhausted at the overwhelming possibilities of what to do next, and just shut the system off.

Why can I not resist.

ElegantBuffalo

Neo Member
Can't wait for this. Preordered and eagerly awaiting it. I don't expect to get it till after the three day weekend. But that is just not fair. WHY! WHY NISA!? I want it now :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wanted to make the OT, but didn't have the time aside to make one. I will be following this thread vigorously! Now how to I balance playing Deus Ex, Xenoblade which should get here at any moment, and Disgaea 4?

Top Bottom