• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness |OT|

Dreamer RD

Finished it a couple of days ago. It was a lot of fun. Then began postgame grinding and stopped after encountering
Baal
. His stats and battle conditions are ridiculous. I wonder how much grinding is needed to take a character out of base panel at least.

WEK2kxv.jpg
^
My fav moment xD

mibm

aka funkky
Isn't the soundtrack and graphics print a pre-order bonus? Looks like Gamestop is offering it, but no mentions of it on Amazon.

Isn't the soundtrack and graphics print a pre-order bonus? Looks like Gamestop is offering it, but no mentions of it on Amazon.

Might be Gamestop Pre-order bonus ? I'll update the first post if anyone can confirm that Gamestop orders (or EB UK) get this and Amazon (or UK generally) don't.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really hate the art-style they've used for Laharl. :/ D1's Laharl was perfect. Dunno why they've redone the art-style for him in 2 on.

Dreamer RD

Need advice from Baal killers - how to prepare for fight with him? I'm just farming in regular mode and upgrading Arcadia in item world. Still not sure when to switch to Rasetsu mode.

What's Ratetsu Mode?

Same idea as Land of Carnage but more so. Enemies have higher stats, the stat cap is lifted further, you can fight Baal and you get various perks (items can be levelled to 999 instead of 300, you absorb part of the stats of defeated enemies, etc)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Same idea as Land of Carnage but more so. Enemies have higher stats, the stat cap is lifted further, you can fight Baal and you get various perks (items can be levelled to 999 instead of 300, you absorb part of the stats of defeated enemies, etc)

Cool, thanks.

I'll be picking it up either way to support the series, but I was worried this one would have too much stagnation in the systems and it would mainly be a story release. Seems like they're still doing some things to keep it fresh. I'll go for preorder to get the soundtrack, but the shipping to Canada would bring it up to $100 for the limited edition. Too much of a jump for me since I was only really interested in the art book.

My fav moment xD

Ha, I wonder how the English voice actor handles that one.

AniHawk

I went for the Limited Edition vis NIS Store :). Can't wait to get it.

i went for the strat guide edition. i am weak.

also, ign review

Stepping back into the item world again and getting sucked in for level after level felt like putting on a favorite pair of shoes that never wore out. After some entertaining but hollow-feeling detours for the franchise, D2 puts Disgaea back where it belongs: the top of the strategy-RPG heap. Its ongoing tendency to reuse old, familiar visuals keeps it from being a revelation, but mechanically, this is the most finely tuned, feverishly addictive entry in the five-game series. I came with time to give, and a healthy appetite for old-school grinding, and just as its predecessor before it, Disgaea D2 took me for every free hour I had.

my first spoiler-free experience since disgaea 2. can't wait.

This and Pokemon X/Y coming out in the same month is going to destroy me.

Can't wait to play this game. I haven't played Disgaea 1 yet but I know enough about Laharl that I'll get at least some of the story.

Raticus79

i went for the strat guide edition. i am weak

There's a lot of info in those strategy guides (exp formulas, detail on hidden values in the systems, etc) that you can't really get any other way. That little side industry is alive and well. You can think of them as "the rest of the manual" in a lot of ways.

isual

would love to pick this up, but at 49.99 it's still too high a price .

I've played and beaten all the console disgaeas, including up to BAAL, but I just don't have the money right now.

I really like this series.

There's a lot of info in those strategy guides (exp formulas, detail on hidden values in the systems, etc) that you can't really get any other way. That little side industry is alive and well. You can think of them as "the rest of the manual" in a lot of ways.

The first 3 guides were by Doublejump (now Onionbat and pretty much dead). The Disgaea 4 guide was by Brady Games (and not as good in quality). This one is by Prima so we have no idea what it's quality will be like yet. I've heard vague rumours that some of the former Doublejump team are involved though, so that gives me some hope.

rbanke

This OT just bums me out that I still have Disgaea 4 sitting on my shelf waiting to be played...that I bought day 1.

The true Disgaea Souls starts here.

Can't wait to break into this sucker. Quit D4 when I was fishing for unique innocents from mystery innocents on R40 weapons; wonder what's going to get me to throw in the towel this time?

isual

Can't wait to break into this sucker. Quit D4 when I was fishing for unique innocents from mystery innocents on R40 weapons; wonder what's going to get me to throw in the towel this time?

how did you stumble on this ?

rubius01

Oh Shit! Maxed out EVERYTHING! Just hope this has a puppy paw stick, or some sort of character kidnapping that we can exploit or the grinding will take an eternity.

how did you stumble on this ?

This pic? Gfaqs. To the point, the Asian version with English was released about a week ago. Think the EU guys got it around then, too. Pirated copy got leaked around even earlier, as I understand it.

Also, some frame of reference: back in D3 and D4, at max stats, an S-level, level 9 skill would do around 2.1 billion damage on a naked critical hit (2.5 on full elemental weakness). This Baal has 400 billion HP, x6 forms.

Oh Shit! Maxed out EVERYTHING! Just hope this has a puppy paw stick, or some sort of character kidnapping that we can exploit or the grinding will take an eternity.

That pic is with some enemy boosts in effect. Baal starts with "merely" half of those stats.

My PS3 has crashed twice when using Laharl's Burning Knuckle, but I've been able to use it twice without it crashing. I wonder if it's an isolated incident, if my hard drive's going (I suspect this), or if it's a widespread thing.

VXLbeast

I want to like this game so desperately. IGN's review makes it seem like it will be a return to form for the series, but I am leary of getting my hopes up. Fingers crossed.

VXLbeast

3 was a lot better than 4. The villain in 4 is awful.

2 is a lot better than 3. And 1 is a lot better than 2, imo. I'm really glad fans have continued to enjoy the Disgaea games, but while I enjoyed two I think that was mainly because I desperately wanted more Disgaea right after beating one. I got 20 hours into 4 before dropping it, and only 5 or 6 into 3 (played three after four, for some reason).

Shinjica

2 is a lot better than 3. And 1 is a lot better than 2, imo. I'm really glad fans have continued to enjoy the Disgaea games, but while I enjoyed two I think that was mainly because I desperately wanted more Disgaea right after beating one. I got 20 hours into 4 before dropping it, and only 5 or 6 into 3 (played three after four, for some reason).

Not a big fun of 2. Story is boring and no fun at all. 4 beat it in everything except final boss

Someone who finish D2 can tell me if story is better or worse than 1 & 4?

rubius01

Story-wise it goes 1>4>2>3. I am so tired of the Japanese school setting, so that's why 3 is so low.
Gameplay-wise it goes 4>3>2>1. I can't think of a series that the gameplay has gotten better with each iteration.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I haven't enjoyed a Disgaea game since the first one, so this looks great. I never did play D4, though.

I hope this one has Phantom Brave characters as DLC. Didn't D3 and D4 have some? I think D4 even had Laharl's dad, IIRC. Any love for PB is good.

Raticus79

Might be Gamestop Pre-order bonus ? I'll update the first post if anyone can confirm that Gamestop orders (or EB UK) get this and Amazon (or UK generally) don't.

It shows the soundtrack+art print on the preorder page on amazon.ca:
Amazon.ca said:
Pre-order Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness and receive bonus offer: Original Soundtrack 2-CDs and Art Print. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.ca. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders.
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BJH11F6/

The first 3 guides were by Doublejump (now Onionbat and pretty much dead). The Disgaea 4 guide was by Brady Games (and not as good in quality). This one is by Prima so we have no idea what it's quality will be like yet. I've heard vague rumours that some of the former Doublejump team are involved though, so that gives me some hope.

304 page hardcover for ~25 bucks with an art chapter seems like a good deal at least. The regular $50 would have been a bit steep. Not sure if that's just a preorder sale or what.
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0804162131/
Hopefully there's still lots of good content like you said.

I preordered the game at EB Games (Canada) to get it on release day, and got the guide from Amazon since they didn't have it. I've got maybe 2 evenings of play time after release and then leave for 2 week vacation so I'll be back to weigh in on things later this month.

Top Bottom