• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness |OT|

Mohasus

Why do they keep giving these evilities to the Main Character?

Laharl has +10% stats when he kills an enemy, it is so easy to snowball the whole game with him, took me 11h to finish the story. Had the same problem with Valvatorez in D4. :(

After platinuming D3, I don't even care about item world/grinding anymore. I'll do the extra stages (like CoO, cameos and stuff -which took me another 4 hours) and that's it.

Sad panda..
I love the game but i switched from dev job to consultant job for a 50% increased earning! company car for privat use, benefits.. Catch is i'll have to move to netherland, so gaming will be scarce for a bit....
Sighhhhh

hertog

Immediately got this game when it came out. But I'm playing too much FFXIV to start a disgaea game.

So.... bteer or worse than Disgaea 4 ( I LOVE! that game)

AwShucks

4 is the best of the series so far. So you should, dood!

I agree. I don't play too much end game or optional stuff, so story is really important to me. I loved the first, and I remember liking the second but I don't really remember anything of it. Disgaea 3 pissed me off at one point so I never finished. I went into 4 with restrained hope but ended up falling in love with the series all over again because of it. The story and characters were great for me and I never encountered some extremely hard level that seemed over powered compared to the previous boss level.

Anyways, looking forward to playing D2.

clem84

Gold Member
The OP should be updated with IGN's review. It got a 9.1. The only negative they had was that the games tend to reuse old character sprites. That's it. The review says "endless depth" !!! That sounds good to me. The post game stuff is a big reason why I like the Disgaea franchise so much.

Oh and NIS took my money too. I ordered the LE + guide. Next week can't come soon enough.

The OP should be updated with IGN's review. It got a 9.1. The only negative they had was that the games tend to reuse old character sprites. That's it. The review says "endless depth" !!! That sounds good to me. The post game stuff is a big reason why I like the Disgaea franchise so much.

Oh and NIS took my money too. I ordered the LE + guide. Next week can't come soon enough.

Updated the first post appropriately and fixed the PSN store stuff now that its out in Europe. Will add other recent reviews tomorrow.

According to the email I got there's been a delay on NISA getting the guides for the Guides +LE packages. NISA is going to ship the LEs now and the Guides later, though if you're in this group you can email them / put in a support ticket to get them to hold the LE until the Guide arrives.

I still haven't been charged for my LE + Guide either. Which is bizzare.

clem84

Gold Member
According to the email I got there's been a delay on NISA getting the guides for the Guides +LE packages. NISA is going to ship the LEs now and the Guides later, though if you're in this group you can email them / put in a support ticket to get them to hold the LE until the Guide arrives.

I still haven't been charged for my LE + Guide either. Which is bizzare.

They charged my CC 2-3 days ago and they sent me the message about the guide delay. I told them to hold onto my copy of D2 and ship both together. I don't mind waiting a bit longer to get everything in the same package.

panda-zebra

Not enjoying the story, it's pretty weak and lacks all the fun of the original. I've been less and less bothered with the stories with each successive game, though, so might just be me.

Some things seem a lot less grindy, but not sure what people consider a spoiler, so I'll hide my ramblings...

Levelling through item world is less stress as item worlder gives away gencys, saves tearing through 10 levels of an easy item to gain one. Soon as I got 1 million hell I spammed reload on that toy vending machine until I got something worth exploring, after that it all came pretty thick and fast. Cheat shop tweaking of item world allows you to avoid those tricky levels where you have to bail as well, but also lets you unleash some serious skills on masses of enemies, too, which is far much fun than simply replaying those stat grinding levels.

So there's no rarity of items 1-100 now? It's just C/R/L? Or have I completely missed something? That makes same item level bonuses easier to gain.

Many things are simplified in D2, and it's not a bad thing.

Postgame is as hardcore as ever. The "Cheat Shop" is a nice addition.

The new item world and the innocent management is good as well.

As for the story, it's inferior to Disgaea 4. A bit too plain.

panda-zebra

Anyone else keep getting back to the castle to find laharl on 1 hp?

I've had that several times, thought maybe I missed getting my arse kicked and some evility or whatever had saved me from death as a last-gasp kind of thing. Didn't realise it was a bug. My auto-save is set to off.

panda-zebra

Many things are simplified in D2, and it's not a bad thing.

Postgame is as hardcore as ever. The "Cheat Shop" is a nice addition.

The new item world and the innocent management is good as well.

As for the story, it's inferior to Disgaea 4. A bit too plain.

I'm not in post-game as the story is always secondary to pretty much everything else for me. Agree with the rest.

One thing I like the idea of is how the shop buying level seems tied to story progress. You can have a buying level that's very high, but if you don't get through the story it won't appear in the senate to boost item levels at the shop. It nudges you to get on with the story early instead of putting it off (at least I think that's how it's working). So my next task is to get that story out of the way (and hope it improves... Laharl used to be a likeable little shit who slowly came 'round to being decent... in D2 so far he's got all the little shit qualities and none of the redeeming ones. At least Etna is still Etna.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
ARGH I totally forgot this was coming out. I wonder if I should bother to see if they still got LE versions of the US one avail.

Already have the JP one, but hasnt stopped me in the past from picking up the US vers of the others too. D:

Dear god why did I click on this thread...

Kouriozan

Oh damn, currently stuck on CoO 5 so I can't grind on 6, and the postgame is kicking my ass.
Axeeeeeeeeeeel!!!
So I'm trying to get some statisticians, grinding some item worlds, but damn CoO 4 to 5 is a huge difficulty leap >.<

ARGH I totally forgot this was coming out. I wonder if I should bother to see if they still got LE versions of the US one avail.

Already have the JP one, but hasnt stopped me in the past from picking up the US vers of the others too. D:

Dear god why did I click on this thread...
Less than 25% left! Hurry hurry~

Unfortunately, there'll be a week delay or so for those that order after September 9th. :<

Karuto

Is a lot of the postgame stuff dubbed like in Disgaea 4?

EDIT: Haha, oops, double post.

Yes. I've been through a few of the post-game content obtained through the Senate and they have all been voiced.

I agree that Disgaea 4 was the best of the series in terms of content and all of that user-generated stuff. If they took that and put Laharl, Etna, and Flonne in there, Disgaea D2 would have been a much better game.

One important question. Farming statitician is still annoting like in Disgaea 4?

Yes& No. No more puppy paw sticks anymore. On the other hand you aren't stuck resetting on reverse pirating stages for statisticians anymore. You find them by progressing through the item world normally now, so you can keep building up items while looking.

scy

Pretty much everything about the character/item perfecting process has been smoothed out a bit. Like, you can just keep running an Item so there's no "you must do this or else" to max it out. You actually keep getting bonuses for Reincarnating as well.

Pretty much everything about the character/item perfecting process has been smoothed out a bit. Like, you can just keep running an Item so there's no "you must do this or else" to max it out. You actually keep getting bonuses for Reincarnating as well.

Is that true post-Rasetsu/Land of Annihilation patch, though? Hearing a lot of theorycrafters saying that there might be optimal methods you can take to fully max out an item at level 999.

scy

Is that true post-Rasetsu/Land of Annihilation patch, though? Hearing a lot of theorycrafters saying that there might be optimal methods you can take to fully max out an item at level 999.

There's optimal ways, yes, but there's no "You screwed it up, try again with a new item" thing. You just ... run the item again.

Oh, that's reassuring. Screwing the pooch at item level 298 when the item was already at floor 99 was bad enough already before. Even worse was knowing your level 300 item was shy a few points because you forgot to insert an innocent when the slot opened up, or something. Couldn't even begin to imagine hitting level 999 on an item only to realize you missed some part of the formula to make it perfect.

Good thing that's been set aside.

zulux21

so while the story hasn't been all that interesting through the first two chapters (it's slowly getting better) the way they have decided to do some mechanics are really interesting... it seems like they simplified a lot of things, and then added a few more systems to the game (while basing the mechanics off disgaea 1/2 instead of 3/4)

I'm torn between th
e cheat shop
or an
innocent warehouse
being the best new feature so far lol.

I can't wait to play around in item world tomorrow and see what they changed there.

Ken

what's the dlc it talks about on the sticker for regular edition? says it has expiration date of 11/8/13 i think.

oh nevermind, it's the costumes huh.

Top Bottom