• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The writer for this game is reading this thread and he's/she's like:

UemiSPQ.gif
A shit ton of the dialogue is surprisingly on the nose and played completely straight. That first cutscene especially is the definition of rushed. Some of the lines don't even make sense, the dude is dragging Emily or Corvo through the hall and telling them his backstory in the most awkward possible fashion. 😐

Drewfonse

Man, Karnaca is so engrossing. Love the immersion and the atmosphere. 3 hours in but it seems like a richer, fuller, more confident Dishonored. Looks fantastic too.

Yeah, stellar first impressions. Arriving in Karnaca is a WOW moment, so pretty. Having just played the original on the Xbox, and now playing this on the Pro, the visual upgrade is pretty staggering.

Loving the intrigue and story so far.

Certinty

Only played the first two missions but already liking this more than the first. Love just going wild and taking everyone out.

Looks very clean on the PS4 Pro too which is nice.

Kind of surprised on the complaints on the writing. Not that I think it's great (I don't) it's just not any worse than the first game. The writing in the first game that I thought was good were the collectibles and the heart comments. Actual spoken dialogue and characters were really flat. Same with the voice acting in Dishonored 1- they got an all start cast and it all sounded like everyone was given heavy hits of Ambien before recording.

Dishonored 2 so far is pretty much the same.

Kind of surprised on the complaints on the writing. Not that I think it's great (I don't) it's just not any worse than the first game. The writing in the first game that I thought was good were the collectibles and the heart comments. Actual spoken dialogue and characters were really flat. Same with the voice acting in Dishonored 1- they got an all start cast and it all sounded like everyone was given heavy hits of Ambien before recording.

Hmm.

The fact that opinions on this are so divisive is actually more encouraging than anything. Makes it easier to go into it with an open mind.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

The lore isn't the issue.

Grisby

Couple of first impressions:
-OM NOM NOM NOM.
-Should have gotten Micheal Ironside to play Corvo Fisher.

But seriously, I'm still not out of the first area. Having no powers is a bit of a rough go on hard, if you're trying not to be seen of course.

So far it's fun. Ps4 version seems to be holding up ok.

Lizardus

In the 2nd mission,
I bought a map from the black market with the location marked on it. How the fuck do I get to it? You can only swim so far.

Figured it out, the scale of the map is really weird. Its
near the starting area. Just swim to the little buoy by the carriage support and swim down.

Elios83

Indeed I think it's well written so far and the random NPCs lines actually have way more variety compared to the original.
If people want to find an example of bad writing....Rise of Tomb Raider is the perfect example.

Tovarisc

Also I hate clockworks, took some doing to get this done. Must have spent few hours messing around with those things.
Body detections happened because after quick loading guard that was neutral before was now aggroed to look around, walked right into my collection of knocked out people. He proceeded to join them, but sucks.

Also one auto save had me on the platform, near the edge when looking at that save preview picture. I loaded that. I loaded into mid-air and flying towards ground at sanic speed, almost died to it. Loaded even earlier save after that.

GrayFoxPL

A shit ton of the dialogue is surprisingly on the nose and played completely straight. That first cutscene especially is the definition of rushed. Some of the lines don't even make sense, the dude is dragging Emily or Corvo through the hall and telling them his backstory in the most awkward possible fashion. 😐

Hahah I gotta buy the game just to hear that!

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, really liking the story itself more than I did the first game, I also like the new VA for the outsider, he gives a more committed performance than billy lush.

Karak

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, really liking the story itself more than I did the first game, I also like the new VA for the outsider, he gives a more committed performance than billy lush.

Ya I enjoyed Penguin but I get that peeps have issues with it.

Dmax3901

The line where he's like "it's said that this signet ring is one of two that can open a secret room..." and then he just turns around and leaves. I was like wait what? Why the fuck would he say that lol.

carlsojo

Soooo this one is much, much harder than the first.

Guards noticing when their buddy gets picked off is huuuuge. I might have to turn down the difficulty.

Wait people think the writing is worse than the first? It's like.. exactly the same.

...What does one have to do with the other?

Because people were saying they felt like it was a step down from the first game and I disagree?

I really want to kill all the guards but I also want to stay low chaos. Forced morality systems like this seem so early last gen.

I thought that previews indicated that if you kill guards that the heart reveals to be evil then you won't get much of a chaos hit at all.

newsguy

Is there anywhere with details on what the Pro version does? I'm playing it, for sure it has no hdr, but the image is clean and framerate is stable. I never played part one, and I see that this is a "style over pixels" game where it's not really pretty but the weird art style makes up for it. Definitely not a showcase game for the Pro.

Soooo this one is much, much harder than the first.

Guards noticing when their buddy gets picked off is huuuuge. I might have to turn down the difficulty.

I'm thinking of dropping the difficulty as well. Tired of reloading saves. There aren't any difficulty-related trophies, are there?

Without any major spoilers, are there any actual levels set in Dunwall or is the entire game set in the new location? I loved Dunwall in the first game.

So, I liked Mission 3, but IMO the non-lethal solution is incredibly difficult to figure out. I had to look it up, and even then I couldn't find the things I needed to find to make it happen. Guess that's for the second playthrough.

Stoze

The heart is pretty disappointing so far. Instead of having people be good, bad, morally gray, or just all morally gray, all the guards and overseers I've used it on are just bad people or really bad people. I guess it's better than nothing since you can still consider if their crime deserves death, but in the end it's very simplified and not compelling enough to make me whip out the heart for every enemy.

edit: Been running into more neutral ones now in mission 3.

Through the tutorial, prologue, and first mission (1hr total). I'm really digging it so far, it's just much harder than D1. The first mission has you on the street with a dozen guards in broad daylight. The writing is kinda dumb, but the graphics are awesome even on Xbox.

Anyone with a decent PC just say fuck it and play it anyway with the terrible optimization? I really wanna do it, but I want my first experience to be annoyance free.

how did you manage to settle?

Anyone with a decent PC just say fuck it and play it anyway with the terrible optimization? I really wanna do it, but I want my first experience to be annoyance free.

It's really not all that bad tbh, I have g sync turned on so it stays at a pretty solid 60 fps, everything maxed out. There's the occasional stutter here or there, but I play these games so methodically that it doesn't interfere at all.

The game also happens to be phenomenal, enjoying it immensely.

Satch

Banned
the tutorial is so cute omg i love when u have to try to choke out corvo and she pats him on the shoulder when she's ready to let go

d00d3n

The game runs in over 60 fps on the highest settings and 3840*1620 resolution for me. I settled for that. Running on a Titan X Pascal tho ...

renzolama

A shit ton of the dialogue is surprisingly on the nose and played completely straight. That first cutscene especially is the definition of rushed. Some of the lines don't even make sense, the dude is dragging Emily or Corvo through the hall and telling them his backstory in the most awkward possible fashion. ��

I found the dialog for Emily, particularly the inner monologue, to be teen-angst-novel-esque in a way that felt very low-budget compared to a lot of the dialog from the original game. And yeah, the guy telling his life story during the dragging was so jarring I wondered if I had missed some critical plot point that explained why this guy was rambling about nonsense out of nowhere.

Got to
The Good Doctor
mission and stopped for the night. So far I'm really enjoying it! I love how open everything is, and the art direction and atmosphere is top notch yet again, just like the first. Going with Corvo and stealth for my first run, and then I'm going to kill everybody with Emily on the next, haha. This is definitely much harder than the first game though; I died like five times already and I barely died in D1 ... I'm not complaining though, it just encourages me even more to be stealthy :)

the tutorial is so cute omg i love when u have to try to choke out corvo and she pats him on the shoulder when she's ready to let go
what, no. that's corvo tapping out.

So which of the 3 dlc packs from dishonored 1 definitive is the standout? Which is the most skippable?

both of the Daud story ones are worth it. it's part 1 and 2 so you'd need both. the trials one is throwaway.

Doesn't the included definitive edition of dishonored 1 include all of the dlc?

yes, that's why it's called the definitive edition.

Cartho

Played up to the end of mission 1 last night on PS4 pro. Looks lovely, such a nice art style.
Gameplay feels just as satisfying as the first one. I'm very very rusty though when it comes to combat. 1V1 I'm fine - got my parry timing down and pulling off those parry riposte insta kills is ace.

Shit hit the fan big style on the last bit of mision 1 though and I ended up slaughtering 3 people in one big brawl in the middle of the street, chugging health potions as I went. Not particularly classy compared to how brutally efficient I had been in the first part of the mission!

Still, I didn't reload my save. On my first playthrough I'm going to just fly by the seat of my pants, massacre anyone who gets in my way and muddle through. I'll save specific styles (lethal Vs non lethal, stealth vs Rambo) until my second play, when I'll have learnt the levels and systems.

Top Bottom