• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

As someone who really couldn't get into the first one (I can't even put my finger on why exactly, it just felt off and not particularly fun to me and I also felt disconnected from the world and indifferent to the characters) will I enjoy this?

I'm asking as I had exactly the same issue With Deus Ex: HR, but I loved Makind Divided.

Stoze

As someone who really couldn't get into the first one (I can't even put my finger on why exactly, it just felt off and not particularly fun to me and I also felt disconnected from the world and indifferent to the characters) will I enjoy this?

I'm asking as I had exactly the same issue With Deus Ex: HR, but I loved Makind Divided.

Hard to say, based off that criticism I would've thought you enjoyed Deus Ex: HR more.

The characters are about as flat as they were in the first, but the world, hub area, and individual levels are more interesting and engaging to me, as is the gameplay. Almost everything seems to be genuinely better than the first outside of glaring technical issues on PC.

So I donno. Rent it on consoles if you can, wait for a patch on PC and play until you hit the refund window if you're on Steam to test it out there.

AHA-Lambda

Hard to say, but I'm erring to no, as it really does feel like a sequel that is largely more of the same.

Picked it up. I always, always wanted to try the original. It always had this BioShock like feel to me. I figured for $60, the Definitive Edition and the sequel was a good deal. I started 2, just to see it in action, but deleted my save file promptly. I am going to go through the original and DLC first. I am excited.

d00d3n

So, you guys think Emily is better than Corvo for a stealth/no kill run?

I am playing as Corvo, but I don't think so. Enemies can still spot her during her Blink replacement ability, right? She also lacks time stop, which is pretty useful for a no kill run?

tommyguns

Godtier game design here.

This game is everything I hoped a new Deus Ex would be (but wasn't).

The technical flaws will disappear over time, and only this absolute gem of a game will remain.

GOTY contender for sure.

I can't wait to get home form work today. Impressions like this are getting me more and more hyped. The game is installed and updated on the Pro. Just waiting to be played!

carlsojo

I'm only in chapter 2 but the level design is just so fucking excellent. It's very vertical and there are a bunch of hidden things, multiple paths, and solutions.

drotahorror

Really diggin it. I'm about 6 or 7 hours in and I just started Mission 3. I pretty much explore every nook and cranny though, this is what makes Dishonored fun for me. Most games I'm not big on exploring but they really put a lot of detail in the world they've created which makes it worth exploring.

I'm on PC, haven't had much performance issues. There is some framepacing problems but I can deal. The audio mix is awful though. I can't tell if enemies are above, below me, next to me, etc.

AXidenT

Neo Member
Getting really keen to get into this - only two more days until my thesis is finished. :') Hopefully my PC doesn't have any issues running it - it's only a middish rig.

I have no idea how to apply rewire tools to clockwork soldiers. I'll see the option pop up in a brief flash before the thing goes aggro and kills me.

Sciel

I finished this as Emily in about ~17 hours. Fantastic game despite the technical shortcomings on the PC.

Late/End game spoilers/thoughts
1. Honestly thought the weakest part of the game was the beginning and the ending. The beginning just felt too rushed (they should extended it and have a character switch of sorts to let you use both characters before letting you make the choice). The ending was just OKAY, just felt too short.
2. I really hated the clockwork mansion. The idea was awesome but it was just annoying to go through it. On the other-hand, the other mansion where you can travel back and and forth in time was AWESOME.

The only thing I don't like about the combat so far is that if I'm choking a guy out and his friend starts attacking and kills my hostage accidentally it counts as a kill for me. Kinda made my decision to go no-kill or not a little easier.

Tovarisc

The only thing I don't like about the combat so far is that if I'm choking a guy out and his friend starts attacking and kills my hostage accidentally it counts as a kill for me. Kinda made my decision to go no-kill or not a little easier.

Patience my young Padawan, patience.

No kills and/or 100% ghost run does require patience and timing. Doesn't help that at random save you load has altered state of world, e.g. previously passive guard is now in hunting mode and looking around.

No kills and/or 100% ghost run does require patience and timing. Doesn't help that at random save you load has altered state of world, e.g. previously passive guard is now in hunting mode and looking around.

Ohhhhh boy. Yeah I think I'll be holding off on the no-kill run/ghost run for a while.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not enjoying this and I really enjoyed the first. I'm not sure why. I usually like "stealth" games and I think I'm pretty creative with problem solving, but it feels like I'm constantly getting detected and bombarded. I'm only in level 2 and I'm dying constantly. Maybe I'm trying to play perfectly, but I'm in the first section of level 2 past the Wall of Light and there are just guards everywhere. I'm trying high, low, whatever...it's just not clicking. Maybe I was tired.

Also the "pick Emily/pick Corvo" decision at the beginning with the player having no knowledge of why they'd want to pick either is odd.

I'm not enjoying this and I really enjoyed the first. I'm not sure why. I usually like "stealth" games and I think I'm pretty creative with problem solving, but it feels like I'm constantly getting detected and bombarded. I'm only in level 2 and I'm dying constantly. Maybe I'm trying to play perfectly, but I'm in the first section of level 2 past the Wall of Light and there are just guards everywhere. I'm trying high, low, whatever...it's just not clicking. Maybe I was tired.

Also the "pick Emily/pick Corvo" decision at the beginning with the player having no knowledge of why they'd want to pick either is odd.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm having fun, sure, but the thrill of exploring/staying stealthy has turned into frustration in this game. I'll randomly get spotted by guards who have no business whatsoever seeing me, the level design makes a lot less sense and those goddamn robots are just annoying.

Bought this at lunch. Missus just asked for a pass to go out this evening.

"Oh, OK then. I'll look after the dog".

I get a bottle of wine for my sacrifice.

Wiseblood

So does freaking out civilians count against ghosting a level because (mission 2 sidequest)
I had to take an absolutely stupid route to take this body where it needed to go without freaking out any civilians in the nearby market.

So does freaking out civilians count against ghosting a level because (mission 2 sidequest)
I had to take an absolutely stupid route to take this body where it needed to go without freaking out any civilians in the nearby market.
I'm not sure, but at this point I've stopped caring. If I can finish kill-free, I'll be happy.

I've actually been spotted by guards through walls and floors so far.

If it's sound, it's simply propagating way too far and through too many things by stealth game standards.

That's literally what I just got finished doing. Though I came in through the window, grabbed it from like 10 feet away, left through the window, and just kept using the warp to find a route where some random NPC wouldn't spot me through a solid object from across the city. F5 and F9 are my friends in this game. I don't understand why the tentacle warp ability is so difficult to use to just get you back to the ground. I don't remember having this much trouble using Corvo's warp in the first game.

There's two civilians in particular in that area in the upper portion of that market, one on a bench, and the other pacing, who are capable of spotting you when you go to certain areas, or perform certain actions anywhere near them. I'm assuming this was the devs trying to get you to go a more difficult route, or maybe incapacitate some people beforehand, and I feel like I cheated the system or something by eventually after like 100 attempts, finding a route that actually worked.

And yeah, I'm assuming it counts against you, considering every time I was spotted by a civilian during that part, it would show up as being detected in the stats screen, and they'd generally come running at me with someone who's armed.

I've actually been spotted by guards through walls and floors so far.

If it's sound, it's simply propagating way too far and through too many things by stealth game standards.
Every single NPC was making the same exact comment about me wearing a mask and guards not liking that. One of the NPCs literally made the comment from another room, and I'd never even met the guy before.

One time really early on I was stuck with a save where a guard who had vision of the entire area I had to go through was stuck in an object facing my direction. He was walking in place, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Tovarisc

If bolts over NPC's head go all red I'm reloading from save, not risking it.

Fuck the Clockwork Mansion. Confusing, annoying, shitty level. No matter what I do, those fucking robots are there to stab me in the gut.

Seeing the A.I complaints is weird considering the A.I was one of the main complaints in the first game for being too easy.

Just a little tip, they can see you while leaning at their line of sight and moving above then in the rooftops, so best to improvise.

Morts

I wasn't expecting a novel with my Best Buy steelbook edition. Anyone know if it's any good?

Anyway I played the first hour or so last night. It seemed a little
rushed and ridiculous how seemingly four dudes took over my empire in less than five minutes.
Some of the dialog seemed a little stilted and comic-books as well. I stopped when
I got to Karnaca on Meagan's boat, so I'm sure it'll massively improve.

Acinixys

Just want to check something

Is the game DL only?

I bought a physical copy, but it installs like 4gb and then starts a 40gb download from steam?

Jharp

Having a hard time decided between Corvo and Emily. Can you change per mission or are you stuck with your choice through the whole game?

Also having a hard time decided between lethal and totally non-lethal.

Tovarisc

Having a hard time decided between Corvo and Emily. Can you change per mission or are you stuck with your choice through the whole game?

You make a choice and that is how it will be for rest of the game.

Both are equally good in stealth and action.

I only got to play for 30 minutes last night. It I really appreciated stepping back into that world. I haven't played Dishonored in a long time so I'm going to use Corvo. I threw some guard out the window and smiled.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It could be just due to the difference in Emily's powerset vs Corvo's, with small things like the Tendril-blink not making you 'invisible' like Blink does for the travel, or the (sometimes) overbearing narration that, while most of the time okay/minimal, occasionally goes overboard, or stuff like the new guard 'neck-based' sight lines (which isn't necessarily bad, but is a definite change).....

but thus far, something has seemed off in my stealth, no-kill playthrough. Not too far in yet, to be fair, but enemy placement/level design does feel a bit....stilted, in terms of multiple routes and power selection.

JakR

I chose Emily for my first run and lethal playthrough. You learn the levels and less frustration in exploring.

Played 4 hours and still at the beginning of mission 2. Most of the time the game looks really good, but then follows low resolution textures. Try to read every book, looking in every corner.

Playing on PS4 Pro and will have at least 3 playthroughs in the end.

But at my pace this game will hold me hostage for a long time.^^

Tovarisc

It could be just due to the difference in Emily's powerset vs Corvo's, with small things like the Tendril-blink not making you 'invisible' like Blink does for the travel, or the (sometimes) overbearing narration that, while most of the time okay/minimal, occasionally goes overboard, or stuff like the new guard 'neck-based' sight lines (which isn't necessarily bad, but is a definite change).....

but thus far, something has seemed off in my stealth, no-kill playthrough. Not too far in yet, to be fair, but enemy placement/level design does feel a bit....stilted, in terms of multiple routes and power selection.

Clockwork Mansion mission will most likely make you want to cry in few places when doing 100% stealth & no-kills. Frustrating as hell to do in that way.

Anung

Un Rama
I wasn't expecting a novel with my Best Buy steelbook edition. Anyone know if it's any good?

Anyway I played the first hour or so last night. It seemed a little
rushed and ridiculous how seemingly four dudes took over my empire in less than five minutes.
Some of the dialog seemed a little stilted and comic-books as well. I stopped when
I got to Karnaca on Meagan's boat, so I'm sure it'll massively improve.

Yeah, I might just go to Buckingham Palace and say I'm actually the long lost King since it seems about that easy to take over a kingdom.

Tovarisc

On PC, same spot;

1080p
UaLJIw3.png

I can't finish the Clockwork Mansion mission. I just can't.
I can't sneak past those Clockwork Soldiers to kidnap the target, and if I try killing them they go aggro and kill the target themselves.
I can't find a way to effectively deal with these things and it's driving me insane.

You know what? I'm done. I'm clearly not in the right mindset to play this game right now, as I'm just getting more and more frustrated the more it goes on.

I'll come back once I've cleared some other games from my plate.

Top Bottom