• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Doesn't the included definitive edition of dishonored 1 include all of the dlc?

I would recommend disabling some of it. With some of the DLC, You get an absolute flood of free runes and bone charms in the early game that is really game breaking.

I would just play with the Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches DLCs and leave the rest.

Yo, what's this I hear about input lag? Is it present on PS4? This isn't 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' bad is it?

even if it is on the same level as ROTR, which was annoying but not so bad once you got used to it, it shouldn't be too bad for a game you'll probably be playing slow and steady.

SivArcher

Neo Member
I never finished Dishonored 1 because motion sickness....
Are 2 going to be the same ? I found that I'm dizzy to First Person Action Game, Shooting Game no problem....
I really like the art style and gameplay... What can I do... *sigh*

without spoiling anything, are there any missions like the Boyle Mansion?

Sorry for the confusion but your phrasing here made me think I needed something more then the aforementioned definitive edition

my bad

I never finished Dishonored 1 because motion sickness....
Are 2 going to be the same ? I found that I'm dizzy to First Person Action Game, Shooting Game no problem....
I really like the art style and gameplay... What can I do... *sigh*

did you ever try disabling the head bobbing feature?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Played about five hours, pure stealth with Emily. Environments are more open, AI is way better and really ups the difficulty, haven't been able to try any new powers. In terms of mission structure and story, seems to be taking a little longer to get going, there isn't a assassination in every chapter but there's side missions to supplement that. Lasf mission, going for the pacifist route, really, really involved, more branches than anything in the first game, if the game has more missions like it, then it could very well be better than the original.

Thank you for the impressions!

I actually ended up playing the game for a few hours and basically here are a few key points to how I feel --

1) Game looks good -- but not great. Don't expect a large jump in visual quality, at least on consoles (playing on PS4).

2) This is definitely an iterative sequel. I'm actually a bit shocked by how similar and slapdash some things feel. The game, at times, feels like it could've used another 6 months in the oven. Expect it to play just like the last game, because it does, except....

3) "Feel". That elusive beast. Somehow, the game just doesn't feel as smooth or as polished as the first Dishonored. Maybe it's the input lag I've been reading about, but it just doesn't feel as snappy and precise and responsive as I'd like. And yes, I've noticed some frame drops, definitely in combat, more so than the first game. Definitely doesn't help things.

4) Stealth is harder. As it's been eluded to, guards seem much more perceptive now and I find myself entering combat more than I'd like. Speaking of combat, love the new animations and some cool new combat merchanics (sliding especially).

Just note that I am early in the game (2 hours, at least I hope that's early) and that I'm enjoying myself, just wanted to point out the things that have really stuck out in my mind.

Dolobill

I hate it when this kind of thing happens. I just finished Mission 2 a couple hours into the game, and I've been going for a non-lethal playthrough. At the mission summary at the end apparently one civilian got counted as killed. I know I never attacked anyone, I only used non-lethal takedowns on guards. Some collateral damage must have happened somehow. I have no idea when or how it might have happened. Pretty damn annoying. Maybe I will just switch to a high carnage playthrough.

I hate it when this kind of thing happens. I just finished Mission 2 a couple hours into the game, and I've been going for a non-lethal playthrough. At the mission summary at the end apparently one civilian got counted as killed. I know I never attacked anyone, I only used non-lethal takedowns on guards. Some collateral damage must have happened somehow. I have no idea when or how it might have happened. Pretty damn annoying. Maybe I will just switch to a high carnage playthrough.

Same happened to me. I wish they'd alert you to killing someone for the first time in each mission. I kept going because I'm sure I'll be replaying a couple times but it sucked for that to happen so randomly.

Roussow

I haven't notice any inpug lag at all on PS4. Feels pretty much like the first game to me.

Does it still have the aggressive auto aim of the first game? Playing the definitive edition early this year I remember the cursor literally tracking heads away from the center of the screen.

Impulsor

To anyone that has finished it, for example, @karak

How long did it take to do a playthrough for the first time?

BashNasty

Onto chapter 6, I am loving this game so much - it's such a refreshing change of pace from the standard AAA fare.

Yea, this game is amazing, I'm very, very impressed with it. Much better than Dishonored 1. The fact that it's getting so much in the way of passive negativity here is pretty crazy. Mission 4
Clockwork Mansion
and the degree that it lets you interact with that level in some really intuitive and unexpected ways (at least from a game design perspective) solidified the fact that this is a great game for me.

Yea, this game is amazing, I'm very, very impressed with it. Much better than Dishonored 1. The fact that it's getting so much in the way of passive negativity here is pretty crazy. Mission 4
Clockwork Mansion
and the degree that it lets you interact with that level in some really intuitive and unexpected ways (at least from a game design perspective) solidified the fact that this is a great game for me.
I'm with this. I think it's absolutely amazing. It looks great (yes, even on the Xbox), is pretty solid performance wise, the level design is superb, the mechanics sublime. The writing is a bit on the nose sometimes, but it's at least well written on the nose writing.

EvB

Same happened to me. I wish they'd alert you to killing someone for the first time in each mission. I kept going because I'm sure I'll be replaying a couple times but it sucked for that to happen so randomly.

There is a stats menu this time that shows you your current alerts etc for the level you o on, you don't need to finish the level to find out

d00d3n

Where on the boat can I find the book "A reflection on my journey to the pandyssian continent" [3]?

1, 2 and 4 are in S
okolovs
room, the storage room and the front part of the deck.

Logsi

Amazon UK have failed me and missed not delivered on thursday, nor today...got an email saying they're screwed up and it's coming monday... :/

Oh well...will have to play my plethora of other games before it comes. Can't complain too much at £18...

Reedirect

It's interesting how fast they want to get the action going. The antagonist arrives after like a minute, explains the plan in a Bond-villain fashion and then it immediately goes to shit. It's awkward, but I find it funny how no one in this world catches a breath for even a moment.

KORNdoggy

Yo, what's this I hear about input lag? Is it present on PS4? This isn't 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' bad is it?

it's pretty terrible by default imo, but there is an option in the controls that lets you reduce what they call "friction" which i find eliminates it.

EDIT:

i'm loving the game btw, not played much, but one thing really frustrates me. while the game tracks stats across the mission you're on, the playthrough you're on, and your global stats across all playthrough's it doesn't track the "bodies discovered" stat. instead it tells you that little nugget of information right at the end of the level?!? which sucks so hard when you're aiming to ghost the entire game with no casualties, no discovered bodies and not being spotted...after 2 hours clearing the entire first level non-lethal, and getting to the very end, apparently someone somewhere found a body...so i had to do it all over again :/ seems like a really dumb oversight given it tracks everything else.

Did Bethesda just drag out the two voice actors skyrim had to voice the main protagonists in this game?

I don't believe Eric Lutrell voiced any character in Skyrim (She voiced a few NPCs in Fallout 4, though)

As for Stephen Russell, the reason was simple. Harvey Smith was a big fan of Stephen's role as Garrett in Thief games.

Anybody know how to get the definitive edition of DH1? I got the legacy edition, and it includes a slip that shows the definitive edition as well as a preorder pack. I redeemed the code but I am only seeing the preorder pack in steam, no dice on the DH1 def edition.

Khoryos

In the first outdoors area in Dunwall, how do I get to these places?
upload11yuiz.jpg

upload20buga.jpg

When you're about to drop off the rooftops, if you instead look around you'll see a pipe on the corner of another set of buildings. Take a running jump, grab hold, and you'll end up at the first screenshot - that then leads to the second.

d00d3n

When you're about to drop off the rooftops, if you instead look around you'll see a pipe on the corner of another set of buildings. Take a running jump, grab hold, and you'll end up at the first screenshot - that then leads to the second.

To clarify, this is possible on your first visit when you are powerless?

d00d3n

To clarify, this is possible on your first visit when you are powerless?

To answer my own question, I got it now, and the area is accessible without powers. You only get the book "knife of dunwall" for your efforts, though ...

bunkitz

So I desperately want the Collector's Edition, but the shops here never put up pre-order forms and whatnot, so we couldn't pre-order and they don't have it today either. They might next week... but I really want to play the game already. Thinking of buying the standard edition for now and selling it (at a slightly lower price) later if the CE becomes available.

That's not unreasonable, right...?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anybody know how to get the definitive edition of DH1? I got the legacy edition, and it includes a slip that shows the definitive edition as well as a preorder pack. I redeemed the code but I am only seeing the preorder pack in steam, no dice on the DH1 def edition.

You're not explicitly looking for Dishonored: Definitive Edition in your library, are you? It'll be listed as Dishonored (or Dishonored RHCP if you're in Eastern Europe/Hungary/Czech Republic/Poland) as the Definitive Edition is just the GOTY Edition rebranded rather than a separate, new release.

FHIZ

I never got that far in the first but wanted to give this one another try, so I could use some help with the basics. While I'm trying to be as stealthy and non lethal as possible, it's pretty hard up front with no powers, but it seems damn near impossible when I'm found. My problem is with the combat. Is there a way you can quick dodge the way enemies do? They always seem to jump back while my two options are stand there or turn around and run. Also, is there any tips I'm missing with the block/parry? I'm finding the wind up on enemy animations pretty difficult to read and time correctly.

Satch

Banned
oh god i panicked and did a bad thing

i mean ive been doing a lot of bad things so far but this feels like a worse thing than even those bad things

So I desperately want the Collector's Edition, but the shops here never put up pre-order forms and whatnot, so we couldn't pre-order and they don't have it today either. They might next week... but I really want to play the game already. Thinking of buying the standard edition for now and selling it (at a slightly lower price) later if the CE becomes available.

That's not unreasonable, right...?

It's up to you if you want to get the game now while you wait, but your should definitely get the collectors edition, because it's really cool. I took the mask out of my box and put it on it's stand, but it was really well presented in the box that the collectors edition comes in.

I never got that far in the first but wanted to give this one another try, so I could use some help with the basics. While I'm trying to be as stealthy and non lethal as possible, it's pretty hard up front with no powers, but it seems damn near impossible when I'm found. My problem is with the combat. Is there a way you can quick dodge the way enemies do? They always seem to jump back while my two options are stand there or turn around and run. Also, is there any tips I'm missing with the block/parry? I'm finding the wind up on enemy animations pretty difficult to read and time correctly.

Block with your sword just as they are about to attack and you'll be able to knock them off-balance and counter-attack

Watch yourself with the officers, they're tough.

I suppose getting caught hauling a body by Civilians counts as being 'seen', right? Had so much trouble hauling that dead body through the second mission.

Godtier game design here.

This game is everything I hoped a new Deus Ex would be (but wasn't).

The technical flaws will disappear over time, and only this absolute gem of a game will remain.

GOTY contender for sure.

FHIZ

Block with your sword just as they are about to attack and you'll be able to knock them off-balance and counter-attack

Watch yourself with the officers, they're tough.

Okay, maybe the distinction between officers and regular dudes is something I didn't get. I assume they're the ones with better looking attire? Bit bulkier? Safe to say I should probably avoid them at all costs early on in the campaign when Emily doesn't have any powers?

Stoze

If you're having trouble in combat, slide attack. You don't really need any run up to perform it, and you can do it facing or behind enemies in and out of combat.

Okay, maybe the distinction between officers and regular dudes is something I didn't get. I assume they're the ones with better looking attire? Bit bulkier? Safe to say I should probably avoid them at all costs early on in the campaign when Emily doesn't have any powers?

You're still early on basically in the tutorial section, they are all regular dudes there. The game gets significantly easier after Dunwall once you get your powers, more tools, and the environment is more open with more spread out enemy placement.

Loving it so far, playing as Emily

Level design is excellent, and on Xbox one ive not really hit the performance issues I've seen mentioned - or I'm not as sensitive to them.

Guards are far more aware which makes stealth much more challenging and rearding, really have to think about avenues of approach.

It's Dishonored through and through and that is just fine with me!

So I've only played a few hours, and I'm enjoying it, but I think I've missed something.

(Crown Killer spoilers, early game)
This crazy botanical woman seem to suddenly become the Crown Killer with no warning. Have I missed a clue somewhere or missed some audio? It really seemed to come out of nowhere.

So far a lot of the plotting seems to be happening without it really being clear what's going on. I was super stressed yesterday though so maybe it's just me.

Top Bottom