• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Are console users facing the same issues as PC owners, such as inconsistent frame rate and input lag?

Just trying to understand how this game received such positive scores. And for the record I like this game ( as well as the original). But it has its fair share of technical issues unlike the first.

Wanderer5

Exploring chapter 2 as Corvo. I was thinking of doing High Chaos, but I just not in the mood for now heh. Non-lethal/low chaos is just more appealing for me ha ha. I should check out the heart more and pick out some guards least through.

KORNdoggy

So my biggest pet peeve besides not being told if bodies are being found in the stat screen is that the collectibles in a level sometimes require powers. It was frustrating playing through mission 3 a couple days ago and collecting everything only to be unable to get the black bonecharm on the roof

SomTervo

Just got whacked by the "flickering black screen" bug. GeForce Experience tries to autoset screen resolution and gets stuck in a loop. You can't get past the game's boot up.

Got to play it Windowed, by changing the setting IN GFE.

What a ballache. At least it works.

Here I am trying to relax after a 12 hour day, and up again in 6 hours.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Are console users facing the same issues as PC owners, such as inconsistent frame rate and input lag

I haven't noticed input lag, but the frame rate tanks to what feels like 15-20 fps during, say, the otherwise gorgeous introduction, and most other high-action areas.

Furthermore the textures in the middle and far ground are laughably blurry for a major 2016 release.

In one instance, during the second level, I took me staring at one of those double-door, furnace/kiln things for almost a minute before the texture loaded in and I could actually read the writing on it.

Game is great but these issues are glaring and I never complain about performance. (X1 version, FYI. I hear the PS4 is marginally better.)

Tovarisc

Dammit. I had a save right before the target area. Went through and did what the post said and it still came up as a kill. I must have knocked too many guys out in the hub area.

Man, so much wasted time for trying to do a no kill run. Nice bug.

Could be. I and few others got lucky and workaround worked for us. I ran into other variation of this bug in Mission 08 and haven't touched game in few days now, can't find will to QA that mission for Bethesda.

If you have early save in M05 you could try running mission again.

Zesh

Dammit. I had a save right before the target area. Went through and did what the post said and it still came up as a kill. I must have knocked too many guys out in the hub area.

I read a post where someone said that they fixed the issue by finding the enemies who died, and hitting them with another sleep dart before triggering the nonlethal method. Could be worth trying.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Crack in the slab spoilers, sooooorta...
Does the Mission End screen double-count some items? Because I scoured that place pretty well and I'm not sure how I could have missed 2 paintings, 3 bonecharms, 3 runes and another blueprint.

Zesh

Crack in the slab spoilers, sooooorta...
Does the Mission End screen double-count some items? Because I scoured that place pretty well and I'm not sure how I could have missed 2 paintings, 3 bonecharms, 3 runes and another blueprint.
Shouldn't double-count anything. Did you check every area in every time period/timeline? After changing the present, new items show up in the mansion and the Dust District.

Vanadium

I gave up non lethal when
the robots occasionally kill NPCs after you pop their head off. Particularly good in the last mission against witches.
Funny and useful. I went with it.

Wanderer5

Done this twice for now, but a bullet (and maybe bolt?) to the leg causes the enemy to fall to the floor where you can still do the non-lethal takedown (along with the kill takedown). Might be a trick to add when confronting a enemy in combat non-lethally. Isn't there a sliding non-lethal takedown too? I want to look at the non-lethal moves a bit more closely.

carlsojo

Done this twice for now, but a bullet (and maybe bolt?) to the leg causes the enemy to fall to the floor where you can still do the non-lethal takedown (along with the kill takedown). Might be a trick to add when confronting a enemy in combat non-lethally. Isn't there a sliding non-lethal takedown too? I want to look at the non-lethal moves a bit more closely.

I haven't tried it myself because I'm trying to do a nonlethal ghost run because I hate myself, but I have read there is a nonlethal slide takedown.

Wanderer5

I haven't tried it myself because I'm trying to do a nonlethal ghost run because I hate myself, but I have read there is a nonlethal slide takedown.

Shall give it a round when I get in game next. Want to get crazy and quick with some non-lethal assault heh.

Are the last few missions short or long?

(I'm not rushing through this or not enjoying it, I swear. I just always like to know how much time to dedicate. It's my OCD. I actually love this game and think it's a 9/10.)

Just started Crack in the Slab. I honestly can't think of a game I've played in a while that has better level design.

Speaking of Mission 7...

SPOILER
If I KO Aramis so he doesn't attend the seance, is there anything noteworthy to find in his mansion when I return to the present
?

aett

This series has somehow completely escaped my notice. I just saw some footage from 2 and it looks fantastic - is the first still worth playing? I can get a new copy from my nearest Best Buy for $16.

The Flash

Banned
This series has somehow completely escaped my notice. I just saw some footage from 2 and it looks fantastic - is the first still worth playing? I can get a new copy from my nearest Best Buy for $16.

You should absolutely play the first game. Try to get it on PC if you can.

Stoze

So I thought it would be a neat challenge/mini game to equip the heart and to root out the more evil guards and NPCs and take them out. You know, because they're scum.

Well I guess 90% of EVERYONE is scum. Wife-beaters, child abusers, thieves, murderers.. I can only assume that as long as the heart explains that they're evil, killing them won't count towards chaos?

It took me awhile but I found two decent people that worked for the Overseerer. I was legit shocked, because everyone was so horrible.

I when through this exact line of thought, everyone I used it on was a jerk for the first few missions and then I started seeing a few neutral and even a couple good guards. I think the main problem is they still feel like enemies to the player no matter what. That's mostly due to the fact most of them did terrible things, and you start hearing recycled lines from the heart if you use it often (not nearly as quickly as the first). Not to mention taking the heart out to try and gauge people is too time consuming.

I was disappointed with it, but asking for the heart to be a robust game-changing system is asking for a lot in terms of development.

Finished Stilton's manor today. Holy crap was that whole level fantastic! Definitely my favorite part of the game so far. This game's level design is incredible; I don't think I've played a game with better level design this whole year, at the least. This is definitely shaping up to be one of my favorite games of the year.

Zesh

Are the last few missions short or long?

(I'm not rushing through this or not enjoying it, I swear. I just always like to know how much time to dedicate. It's my OCD. I actually love this game and think it's a 9/10.)

Probably depends on your playstyle, but I'd say they're about the same length as the other missions. The final one is a bit shorter, I'd say.

Speaking of Mission 7...

SPOILER
If I KO Aramis so he doesn't attend the seance, is there anything noteworthy to find in his mansion when I return to the present
?
There are new runes/bone charms in the mansion and the Dust District.

hughesta

Banned
Got a question for early on on Mission 4

after Paolo and his goons talked to the black market shopkeep, I dominoed the three of them and knocked them out. Paolo turned into a bunch of rats, and I killed most of them. Does that count as a kill?

Grisby

Could be. I and few others got lucky and workaround worked for us. I ran into other variation of this bug in Mission 08 and haven't touched game in few days now, can't find will to QA that mission for Bethesda.

If you have early save in M05 you could try running mission again.
I read a post where someone said that they fixed the issue by finding the enemies who died, and hitting them with another sleep dart before triggering the nonlethal method. Could be worth trying.
Yeah, thanks for the suggestion guys. I just moved on. I'm still going for a low chaos run, but if i ever decide to try a complete no kill run it'll be a lot later and hopefully after they've patched it.
I gave up non lethal when
the robots occasionally kill NPCs after you pop their head off. Particularly good in the last mission against witches.
Funny and useful. I went with it.
Ha, yeah I found that out by accident in M4.

lightus

Man, I'm still getting spotted really easily. Am I just awful at the game? I feel like I spend more time saving/loading than actually playing.

Examples (short vids - no spoilers): This alley in the video below is the only exit for the area. Not sure what I was supposed to do to avoid getting caught as there wasn't anywhere apparent to blink to, I couldn't hear the guard and I couldn't detect him using Dark Vision.

https://youtu.be/rA4xajVKn3o

In the video below this, I was doing pretty well. For some reason dropping the whale oil made a noise loud enough to get the attention of the guards outside though. Am I missing something?

https://youtu.be/k4mWOcr6XyM

Other than getting caught easily, I'm really enjoying the game. It feels good to be back in this universe.

Game keeps getting better and better. This narrative has a slow boil to it. The first game's narrative kicked off hot and simmered down, but then got really hot again. Different paced story, but I appreciate the new one now.

What is the best difficulty to play on? Think I'm gonna go Emily and try to be stealthy maybe..

If you are familiar with Dishonored, then I would suggest the hardest difficulty. It's not been too bad for me (using a controller or mouse + keyboard). Feels really good actually and I have been doing pure stealth and low chaos.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Are console users facing the same issues as PC owners, such as inconsistent frame rate and input lag?

Just trying to understand how this game received such positive scores. And for the record I like this game ( as well as the original). But it has its fair share of technical issues unlike the first.

yup. ps4 pro here. feels like you're fighting the controls. had to bump up sensitivity and turn off friction. feels bearable now but still wish the game didn't feel so heavy.

Carm

What side alley? You mean the two you run into before getting near the conservatory?

If these two are the witches you are talking about, I brought them both to the machine, unconscious, then dead, after pulling the lever, this is a possble repeatable bug.

Guess I'm done with the game to see if they bother patching it.

Quoting myself because I think I have this figured out.

Mission 5 related

Alright, after being pissed about this all yesterday morning and afternoon, and saying I'd wait, I spent the evening going through the level and testing a couple of scenarios and think I figured out the issue.

To finish non lethal you must keep one npc ( civilians/BM npc not tested) conscious, outside of the conservatory, that is Not either of the two witches in the side alley behind the bar.

This didn't work when I left 3 witches conscious inside and the two alley ones conscious. When I did it this way it showed one credited kill. Leaving one guard or one witch(4 of them in front of the building outside) I was able to get non lethal credit.

Those two witches end up dead in the alley, after leaving the conservatory 8 total guards spawn 4 by conservatory, 4 near beginning of the level. Those 4 near the conservatory are leaving the bar and I think they kill the two witches in the alley, backdoor was open and I'm pretty sure I had closed it, which makes me think they path through there. Or those two are just bugged.

Also, unrelated, if you are nonlethal, after finishing last quest npc in conservatory, to return to meagen, use a stun mine on the npc, then loot. Knocking out doesn't work with choke or dart. Just in case you, like me, didn't think much of reading one of the found notes.

Stoze

Got a question for early on on Mission 4

after Paolo and his goons talked to the black market shopkeep, I dominoed the three of them and knocked them out. Paolo turned into a bunch of rats, and I killed most of them. Does that count as a kill?

No, it shouldn't. Also you can check for that anytime by going into stats from the pause menu.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm just about to get to Karnaca. Really feeling the game, even though I haven't done a proper mission yet. Dunwall Tower/Streets had much more to it than I anticipated (I spent two hours going through it). I can see the level design beginning to bloom and can't wait to take on a proper mission.

Guard AI is a little twitchy on Hard but not unmanageable. I like a lot of the upgrades they've had in the searching department. I found being bolder in my stealthy decision making tends to pay off better than being overly cautious. No kills and no alarms so far.

The Void looks incredible. The only thing throwing me off about The Outsider is the speed he's going through his lines (reminds me of The Jackal in FC2).

I told him where he can shove his mark (not on my hand). It just seems right to me that Emily would turn it down. There's something about a powerless hero facing down an almighty Witch with nothing but her cunning and trickery that sits well with me.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Shouldn't double-count anything. Did you check every area in every time period/timeline? After changing the present, new items show up in the mansion and the Dust District.

Yeah, I did- still says 7 out of 11 for bonecharms etc. Can't find anything online about where the other 4 could be and given up searching, so I guess I'll leave it for now.

d00d3n

Quoting myself because I think I have this figured out.

Mission 5 related

Alright, after being pissed about this all yesterday morning and afternoon, and saying I'd wait, I spent the evening going through the level and testing a couple of scenarios and think I figured out the issue.

To finish non lethal you must keep one npc conscious, outside of the conservatory, that is Not either of the two witches in the side alley behind the bar.

This didn't work when I left 3 witches conscious inside and the two alley ones conscious. When I did it this way it showed one credited kill. Leaving one guard or one witch(4 of them in front of the building outside) I was able to get non lethal credit.

Those two witches end up dead in the alley, after leaving the conservatory 8 total guards spawn 4 by conservatory, 4 near beginning of the level. Those 4 near the conservatory are leaving the bar and I think they kill the two witches in the alley, backdoor was open and I'm pretty sure I had closed it, which makes me think they path throuh there. Or those two are just bugged.

Also, unrelated, if you are nonlethal, after finishing last quest npc in conservatory, to return to meagen, use a stun mine on the npc, then loot. Knocking out doesn't work with choke or dart. Just in case you, like me, didn't think much of reading one of the found notes.

To clarify, if I leave one npc conscious outside of the conservatory (such as the three dock workers, or the black market guy), I can know everybody out inside the conservatory?

Carm

I did not test to see if civilians counted, had already knocked them all out, assumed at the time they wouldn't. BM npc was still awake but he was awake the night before and didn't seem to count as everything else was knocked out, and it showed me with two kills.

Edit: updating original post to reflect that

bunkitz

In the middle of Mission 5. Outside the Royal Conservatory. Took out most guards already, was walking around to look for things to loot. Turns out, there were three guards left. I was spotted by one of them so they began to attack me. I quickly Domino'd the three of them while defending myself, trying to think of how to handle the situation. I get hit and I'm dying, so I run away from them as fast as I can. Suddenly, I see a red figure in the distance. The closer I got, the clearer it was that it was a soldier. Just standing there, not facing my direction. I quickly Domino him, go into a slide, and then bam! Non-lethal takedown. The three other soldiers fall one by one, right behind me. Like fucking dominos.

God, I love this game.

Ghost hound things and witches stress me out, though.

Carm

Ghost hound things and witches stress me out, though.

I was worried bout the hounds but someone confirmed you can them kill and they don't count against non lethal. Two crossbow bolts to take out since you have to destroy the skull after the first shot.

Since you already have Domino there really is only one witch you have to be mindful of inside, if you're not careless. She is on the fourth floor and paths from one end to the other, she can see you if you far reach/blink onto one of the hanging platforms in the middle.

Should take her out along with the two sitting on the chandelier with domino and sleep dart. I'd save before doing that though, it only happened once but one of those on the chandelier fell off the wrong side and died.

I was bored so ran through conservatory faster than normal, my upload is terrible so needed small video size. Going this route only real concern is witch falling from chandelier, doesn't seem to happen with choke out, and witch falling from sitting on book case. Don't think fall will kill her but I backed up while choking to make sure she stayed on the bookcase.
https://youtu.be/fI7_M30cfRU

I guess I got lucky in Mission 5. Was running like hell from some screaming witches, jumped up into a narrow escape and stumbled into a hidden room that had the
bone charm that makes the dogs not smell you. Never had to deal with them!

The way things are going, I'm expecting to hop right into a high chaos Corvo run after finishing this low chaos Emily run. The game is just that good. The lore is all starting to connect and I feel like I'm still building on my skills. Can't wait to see Karnaca turn to shit.

I'll probably murder every shitty citizen, too, but I'm worried that might lead to low chaos. Anyone figure out how this works yet?

carlsojo

Speaking of Mission 7...

SPOILER
?

Oh my god I can't believe I didn't think of that

I guess I got lucky in Mission 5. Was running like hell from some screaming witches, jumped up into a narrow escape and stumbled into a hidden room that had the
bone charm that makes the dogs not smell you. Never had to deal with them!

The way things are going, I'm expecting to hop right into a high chaos Corvo run after finishing this low chaos Emily run. The game is just that good. The lore is all starting to connect and I feel like I'm still building on my skills. Can't wait to see Karnaca turn to shit.

I'll probably murder every shitty citizen, too, but I'm worried that might lead to low chaos. Anyone figure out how this works yet?

I can't wait to do my high chaos run.. I'm going to try to spread the bloodflies all over Karnaca by dumping corpses by nests.

Top Bottom