• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Have they posted any updates for the console's updates? The performance on XB1 is a bit disappointing.

I might actually get a PS4 Pro just to play Dishonored 2 with decent graphics. The Xbox One struggles with this game, and everything at a distance is like a blurry water color painting.

It's in equal parts the most beautiful and ugliest game I've played on Xbox One. Riding into Karnaca at what must have been sub-20 FPS was really disappointing. Every moment of awe in Dishonored 2 feels reduced to a graphical letdown.

As for the controls, the other big complaint I've had, I've adapted to them. I turned Friction to 0 and turned the sensitivity sliders up to 60 horizontal, 50 vertical and it actually feels playable now. I'm not sure why they went with such abysmal defaults compared to the original game, but that's probably just the result of user testing.

Chichikov

The original is one of my favorites of last gen, so I intend to stick with it. I played that on PC; I just steered clear of this game's PC release because it sounded like console was the focus this time around what with all the performance reports.

And yeah, I will probably drop the stealth-only playthrough at some point. I actually think the original Dishonored's """bad""" ending is actually the only narratively satisfying ending, so I probably need to get over myself and just play the game naturally and indulge in action if it seems like the most appropriate response. I just have a hard time doing that in games that treat lethal playthroughs as """bad""". Everything about this game screams at you that playing nonlethal is the correct way to do things, which was my major gripe about the original (even if, ironically, I thought the negative ending was better).
Yeah, I really didn't like it about the first game.
I think I said it before but one of my least favorite design decisions is giving you cool and fun tools and then punishing you for using them, even if the punishment is not really severe.
It really annoyed me in MGSV too, though once I just said fuck it and started murdering everyone I enjoyed the game much more.
I plan to do the same in Dishonored 2 (unless non-lethal ends up being more fun than I think, though historically, I enjoy stealth games the most when I just kill everyone and pile the bodies in a restroom somewhere).

Edit: I heard the high chaos in this game mostly impact cutscenes, is that true?

Stoze

Yeah I needed the far reach one.

I also had one that replenished mana after drop takedowns, and one with faster chokes. That was a game changer.

Was the faster choke one a regular bonecharm? I tried that one, even stacked it 4x, but it seemed like it didn't make much of a difference.

Other big ones that I didn't really use either because I got them way late or because I was playing mostly non-lethal:
Fading Light - Far Reach and Blink cost zero Mana if used right after an assassination
Clumsy Assassin - You gain invisibility briefly after knocking out or assassinating an enemy, but enemies can see and hear when you lean
Bloodfly Alchemy - An enemy’s first ranged attack turns into Bloodflies

How's performance on the PS4 Pro?

I've yet to really play the first game. Can I just go to Dishonored 2, or should I really complete that first?

Thank you.

SkylineRKR

Was the faster choke one a regular bonecharm? I tried that one, even stacked it 4x, but it seemed like it didn't make much of a difference.

Other big ones that I didn't really use either because I got them way late or because I was playing mostly non-lethal:
Fading Light - Far Reach and Blink cost zero Mana if used right after an assassination
Clumsy Assassin - You gain invisibility briefly after knocking out or assassinating an enemy, but enemies can see and hear when you lean

Yeah I first thought it worked but I checked and it didn't. Its no difference or even slower.

Clumsy assassin is decent, because I never used lean (I didn't even know how to do it until I checked the controls near the end of the game). I used a lot of wallhack though its not that OP in this game.

SkylineRKR

Yeah, I really didn't like it about the first game.
I think I said it before but one of my least favorite design decisions is giving you cool and fun tools and then punishing you for using them, even if the punishment is not really severe.
It really annoyed me in MGSV too, though once I just said fuck it and started murdering everyone I enjoyed the game much more.
I plan to do the same in Dishonored 2 (unless non-lethal ends up being more fun than I think, though historically, I enjoy stealth games the most when I just kill everyone and pile the bodies in a restroom somewhere).

Edit: I heard the high chaos in this game mostly impact cutscenes, is that true?

I think it impacts levels as well, more bloodfly nests.

shiba5

I think the Strong Arms charm is bugged if you stack it. The one I crafted made choking people out even slower - a lot slower.

SkylineRKR

I enjoyed the final level a lot and I think it was the easiest to ghost. But yeah the previous one was superior.

Its not also not fixed who (mission 8 spoilers)

the real Duke is. I've seen a playthrough when the fake one was at the third floor. In my game that guy never smoked and I never got the idea he was fake. So I went upstairs to spy the other one and there it was noted that I had encountered the fake one.

I reloaded and persuaded the real one. He would agree but go for the alarm. I had no rewire tool but you can rig it. Wonder how he reacts.

I might actually get a PS4 Pro just to play Dishonored 2 with decent graphics. The Xbox One struggles with this game, and everything at a distance is like a blurry water color painting.

It's in equal parts the most beautiful and ugliest game I've played on Xbox One. Riding into Karnaca at what must have been sub-20 FPS was really disappointing. Every moment of awe in Dishonored 2 feels reduced to a graphical letdown.

As for the controls, the other big complaint I've had, I've adapted to them. I turned Friction to 0 and turned the sensitivity sliders up to 60 horizontal, 50 vertical and it actually feels playable now. I'm not sure why they went with such abysmal defaults compared to the original game, but that's probably just the result of user testing.

This is what it looks like on the pro on a 1080 set. It actually looks sharper than this but i digress.

cP1Qby.png

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
A wee bit late, but I haven't really felt like the bone charm for choking has actually made it noticeably faster, either.

Anyone know which chapter has the charm for
far reach being silent?

SJRB

Gold Member
So I thought it would be a neat challenge/mini game to equip the heart and to root out the more evil guards and NPCs and take them out. You know, because they're scum.

Well I guess 90% of EVERYONE is scum. Wife-beaters, child abusers, thieves, murderers.. I can only assume that as long as the heart explains that they're evil, killing them won't count towards chaos?

So I thought it would be a neat challenge/mini game to equip the heart and to root out the more evil guards and NPCs and take them out. You know, because they're scum.

Well I guess 90% of EVERYONE is scum. Wife-beaters, child abusers, thieves, murderers.. I can only assume that as long as the heart explains that they're evil, killing them won't count towards chaos?

It took me awhile but I found two decent people that worked for the Overseerer. I was legit shocked, because everyone was so horrible.

Menthuss

I wonder if there are seperate Chaos modifiers for these people. The devs mentioned that this is the case for targets but I could see it applying to guards as well.

d00d3n

When you
enter mansion and find lever to pull, instead of pulling it look up. If you want easy stealth way.

You can actually pull the lever once and get away with it. Kirin Jindosh will assume that it is a lever malfunction after 30 seconds of taunting you. If you pull any lever again, you are busted, though. With some acrobatics skills you can even get behind the shell defense while the walls are moving. I guess this is a concession to the no powers players ...

SJRB

Gold Member
Woooow, mission 3 was so cool. Creepy atmosphere, and the whole setup to the finale was incredibly well done.
The reports from the janitor who saw a strange beast, the doctor who disappeared and hasn't been seen for months, and once you reach Hypatia and slowly start to realise that something is really, really wrong was so chilling. If you move into her little study and you hear her confused mumbling transform into fucking weird shit was so crazy.

I actually completely trainwrecked my first playthrough of that mission, because
I figured Hypatia was the killer so I tried to choke her out, but she transformed and attacked me. I killed her on the spot, but it felt really bad.

After exploring the area more I found the room with the dea doctor and a note that said it was possible to make a cure. so I followed the steps in the instruction even though Hypatia was dead, just to see where it would go. I had no idea it was an actual story element, I was stunned when I actually made the antidote.

So I just reloaded a save from 45 minutes earlier and did the entire sequence again, only this time with the "correct" ending.

That was AWESOME. Playtime after 3 missions: 6.5 hours. Crazy.

Also pro-tip: for god's sake, use multiple save files.

Majin Boo

Just finished my first playthrough as Corvo with 0 kills and 0 detections. I explored every level completely, collected every bone charm, rune, painting & blueprint and finished with 31 hours on the clock (I had to play mission 5 twice due to a bug which probably added a couple of hours...). Playing stealth without killing anyone was a chore. The game doesn't really give you many tools to help a non-lethal stealth approach, most bone charms are crap, and I got the few good ones in the last level (
faster sneaking+faster mana restoration
, is it still random which bone charms you get?). Really looking forward to playing with Emily and killing everyone...

Huh, I haven't seen that -- I noticed the auto-save by pulling up the journal and leaving immediately, but that's about it.

I'm playing the PC version with the Xbone controller. You just pause the game and it says press RT ( well hold it down) to quick save, LT to quick load. Maybe it's only specific to PC?

Grisby

Someone dies every time I take away
Breanna's powers
in mission 5. I'm going to have to take out
each witch
manually aren't i? Sigh.

Jsut finished Mission 5 and damn that was great. It was nice to
be able to walk around the museum with no enemies after disrupting the witch's portal to the void.
A nice change of pace!

I wonder if there are seperate Chaos modifiers for these people. The devs mentioned that this is the case for targets but I could see it applying to guards as well.

Wondering the same. Well the heart says everyone is evil and I haven't been killing anyone. So letting them live isn't raising me above low chaos.

Teggy

Had a weird thing happen in the last level. I walked into
a room with 4 witches casting
so I chained up all 4 and hit one with a sleep dart. I walked around and noticed that one was dead - no, they were all dead. I have no idea how that happened unless when the one I hit fell it cracked it's head on a flower pot or something XD. I know it was a sleep dart.

Anyway, I finished up and immediately started up a new game as Corvo to just mess around and kill stuff. I didn't even get to the boat yet and I've found new routes and rooms. My favorite part of the game is definitely exploring.

Also, something about the very last part.
When I brought Delilah back it said "place her on the throne" or "deal with her another way" under the low chaos options. What is the other way?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Have they posted any updates for the console's updates? The performance on XB1 is a bit disappointing.

So it's not just me who's asking? I actually un/reinstalled the game thinking something was amiss. No help.

And I had the option to get this for PC but held off due to THOSE performance problems. Ugh. This is the first game that has completely disappointed me on this console. Even XCOM 2 and Just Cause 3 run better.

Any update on a possible performance patch?

So what are the differences in playing with the two characters? I chose the woman.

Do you get like different perks?

You get different powers. Domino, for example, allows you to link few people so they share the same fate (If you shot one of them in the head with crossbow bolt, the others share his fate)

Top Bottom