• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Xeteh

.Yeah doing my second playthrough as Emily, like it even more than my first as Corvo. Just makes more sense to play as Emily, I guess. Even though Blink is probably superior to Far Reach, but the "grab object from afar" kinda negates that.

I'm kind of bummed with the Far Reach upgrade to grab humans. I was expecting it to pull them to Emily with the same speed/trajectory that Emily travels with it... it like floats them over to you a lot slower and even with the corrupted boneshard that makes it "silent and stealthy" they make so much noise it doesn't matter. I wish I could refund it.

In mission 9, turning on the power in my game causes three witches to appear, embedded in the ground, and two of them are dead. Because why not. I'm wondering if any of the game testers bothered with a no-kill run. Really hope there's a patch for consoles soon.

CzmlWlrWIAANgov.jpg:large

Chitown B

In mission 9, turning on the power in my game causes three witches to appear, embedded in the ground, and two of them are dead. Because why not. I'm wondering if any of the game testers bothered with a no-kill run. Really hope there's a patch for consoles soon.

you sure they didn't fall off stuff? a few are on chandeliers and outside on the statue.

Start relying on quick save.
Start checking the stas page for kill less.
Check randomly and see you have 2 kills and your last non quick save was an hour ago.
Feels so god damn bad.

How many chapters are there in the game?

you sure they didn't fall off stuff? a few are on chandeliers and outside on the statue.

You're thinking of a different level. This happened in a much later level, after merely turning on the electricity to the building. Prior to doing so, there weren't even any witches in the room where their corpses are.

(But even on the level you're thinking of, 4 witches in my game died even though they were already knocked out. I'm guessing these situations are basically caused the same bug.)

How many chapters are there in the game?

- Nine -

Bunga

Completed this last night. On the whole I really enjoyed it. It had two stand out levels and the rest were mostly good, with a couple verging on boring/filler. I wish they had fleshed out the targets a bit more, even when I was getting down to the last 2-3 targets, I had almost no information about some of them. The art direction is absurdly good, really something else, but that was the same with D1 so I'm not at all surprised.

Emily's powers were fun to use, although I think I preferred Corvo's set from the original game so I'm looking forward to revisiting the game down the line and playing as him instead.

It took me about 17 hours to play through which is a good length but I dread to think just how much of that was Rune/Bone Charm collecting. I regret not turning the indicators off and simply coming across these more naturally.

The ending was a little bit "oh, it's done, here's a tiny cinematic" again, which is pretty disappointing.

Loooooads of replay value here though so will definitely revisit, but not now.

Djostikk

Completed today as Corvo, high chaos. Awesome game overall, a lot of details, readings everywhere, and they make world feel alive. Story was ok, but I find some side stuff more interesting than main ones. Will do no kill run later.

Anno

Sounds like a beta update is live on Steam for NG+. Full release on the 19th. And NG+ let's you select from all the powers of both characters which sounds like a lot of fun. I wonder how Domino and Possession work together.

hydruxo

https://bethesda.net/en/article/1xv1an5Nj6qiOigcme0Qso/dishonored-2-update-new-game-plus-mode
Unlocked once you complete Dishonored 2 with either Emily or Corvo, New Game Plus lets you begin anew with either character, but this time you’ll have access to the full suite of abilities from both of the game’s heroes. You’ll also start your new playthrough with all the Runes and Bonecharm Traits you’ve collected from your previous game, but you’ll be able to re-assign those Runes so you can choose the powers you want.

Dishonored2_MesmerizeWindblast_730x411.gif

“Dishonored players have asked for it, so now New Game Plus is here for Dishonored 2,” says Creative Director Harvey Smith. “If you've ever wanted to make higher-powered characters, now's your chance. If you've wanted to play Emily Kaldwin with Possession or Devouring Swarm, or Corvo Attano with Domino, now you can. We've been having fun with it here at Arkane Studios, and we hope you will too.”

The first of two free updates, Game Update 1 releases today as a beta on PC, then will release in full for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on Monday, December 19.

Game Update 2 will arrive in January, and will include two new features: Mission Select and additional Custom Difficulty Settings, the latter of which allows you to further tailor Dishonored 2 to your playstyle and adjust the challenge based on a wide array of settings. We’ll have more info on Game Update 2 soon.

GAME UPDATE 1 RELEASE NOTES

New Features

New Game Plus mode!
New Quick-Access Wheel option for hiding/unhiding items
Improved Features

Fixed Oraculum false-kill count in Royal Conservatory
AI detection tweaks to clarify when players are detected or not
AI locomotion improvement for running
Fixed various Bonecharm effects (Strong Arm, Spiritual Pool, etc)
Fixed a problem in slow-motion where some inputs were ignored
Blood Thirst: various enhancement and fixes
Killing an NPC with their own bullet is now more reliable
Tweak for mana potion refill speed, depending on difficulty
General performance and optimization improvements
Fixed various game logic issues
Fixed various User Interface issues

Downloading the beta patch now -- looks to be 382.4 MB. Can't wait to try it out later today. Everything I wanted from NG+, honestly: all powers available as well as re-speccing. So cool! I'm guessing the only thing locked in depending on the character will be Blink vs Far Reach?

I can only imagine what kind of awesome montages people are going to come up with now that you can combine Domino / Devouring Swarm / Bend Time / Shadow Walk / Whirlwind / etc etc.

(I'll report later if I notice any performance improvements from this patch.)

I cant image people that are sticking to the no-kill playthrough with this game. I am trying to keep a low chaos and Im on the 8th mission but there is always....ALWAYS one death in my results screen no matter what I do. I dont dump bodies near blood flies, I dont dump them where they could fall off, I dunno what is going on.

There was one where I knocked out a guard and threw him in a bathtub but he grazed one of those privacy screen things while I was dumping him and he was indicated as dead as soon as he hit the tub....ridiculous

Looking foward to wrapping up this low chaos playthrough so I can go high chaos with Emily and not worry about unconscious people randomly killing themselves somehow.

Chitown B

You're thinking of a different level. This happened in a much later level, after merely turning on the electricity to the building. Prior to doing so, there weren't even any witches in the room where their corpses are.

(But even on the level you're thinking of, 4 witches in my game died even though they were already knocked out. I'm guessing these situations are basically caused the same bug.)

- Nine -

sorry, I saw witches and not "mission 9"

Curufinwe

I cant image people that are sticking to the no-kill playthrough with this game. I am trying to keep a low chaos and Im on the 8th mission but there is always....ALWAYS one death in my results screen no matter what I do. I dont dump bodies near blood flies, I dont dump them where they could fall off, I dunno what is going on.

There was one where I knocked out a guard and threw him in a bathtub but he grazed one of those privacy screen things while I was dumping him and he was indicated as dead as soon as he hit the tub....ridiculous

Looking foward to wrapping up this low chaos playthrough so I can go high chaos with Emily and not worry about unconscious people randomly killing themselves somehow.

The only issue I had with enemies dying who should have been alive was the Oraculum bug on level 5, which is being fixed in the patch.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1325089

Mcdohl

Late to the party here, considering buying this.

Two questions:

1. Does this have PS4 Pro support? 4k, HDR?

2. Classic question: Will I enjoy it if I did not play Dishonored 1?

Two questions:

I'm on PC so can't comment on question 1. But for question 2 I'd definitely say yes. Dishonored 1 is good enough that it's still worth playing, but it's really not a pre-req for enjoying this one.

Chitown B

help for those trying to get the "Heartbeat Reaper" achieve/trophy - just stack 6 snoozing people on top of each other, toss a grenade, and bam.

Trying out the NG+ beta and noticed two awesome things that weren't mentioned in the patch notes:

- You can now enable hold lean (instead of toggle) in the settings. Makes it perform like Dishonored 1 lean

- The weapon wheel is much snappier now. Comes up almost immediately, whereas there was a slight delay before

Performance has also been better for me.

I also wasn't sure how they would handle blink vs far reach in NG+ -- but it looks like they just give you access to both of them. Sweet!

I wonder if it's limited to one NG+, or if there is a NG++, NG+++ and so on...

Yeah...looking at the cost of all of Corvo and Emily's powers, I don't think it'll be possible to even max out everything after finishing a NG+ run. (Maybe if you min max rune crafting.) Hopefully you can continue on with that save and your runes keep carrying over. Would love a playthrough with literally every single power and upgrade unlocked at some point.

If my count is right, the cost for everything (Corvo and Emily) is 170 runes. I've got access to 48 at the start of my NG+ run. (I probably missed a couple of runes on that first playthrough.)

Xeteh

I'm on PC so can't comment on question 1. But for question 2 I'd definitely say yes. Dishonored 1 is good enough that it's still worth playing, but it's really not a pre-req for enjoying this one.

And if you can get the Dishonored 2: Limited Edition release (I did after it came out) it comes with a code for Dishonored Definitive Edition as well.

No Love

Banned

Two questions:

Play through Dishonored 1. I never played through it back in the day, got my free code from Dishonored 2 LE and have been playing through it over the last few weeks. It's a brilliant game. Essentially Thief on steroids. The art design and atmosphere is dripping with quality. You won't regret it.

Anyone that loves Thief, System Shock 2, Bioshock and/or Deus Ex needs to play through Dishonored 1 and 2. Period.

Can you start using powers from mission 1? Because I am gagging to go through that level and show those traitors what for.

No, the first level is still no powers. After the mission 1 Outsider scene you get access to powers as normally, you just have all the runes that you completed the game with.

No, the first level is still no powers. After the mission 1 Outsider scene you get access to powers as normally, you just have all the runes that you completed the game with.

NOOO WHYYYY????
Since the NG+ news I had been planning what to do to deal with these feckers. :( I mean, they will all still die horribly but it'd been nice to do it with powers. :(

Yeah...looking at the cost of all of Corvo and Emily's powers, I don't think it'll be possible to even max out everything after finishing a NG+ run. (Maybe if you min max rune crafting.) Hopefully you can continue on with that save and your runes keep carrying over. Would love a playthrough with literally every single power and upgrade unlocked at some point.

If my count is right, the cost for everything (Corvo and Emily) is 170 runes. I've got access to 48 at the start of my NG+ run. (I probably missed a couple of runes on that first playthrough.)

I really hope this is true. My plan was to keep playing until maxed :lol

Also, finished 6 and 7 tonight. I am LOVING this game. 7 was really really cool.

I really hope this is true. My plan was to keep playing until maxed :lol

Also, finished 6 and 7 tonight. I am LOVING this game. 7 was really really cool.

Someone on Reddit posted confirming that runes continue to carry over after your first NG+ run. So should be able to max out everything after 2 NG+ playthroughs or so.

SJRB

Gold Member

And does the game replace all bonecharms with others? Or can you get, say, tripple Strong Arms and choke fools out in a second after bonecrafting?

chrixter

Been messing around with the NG+ beta patch. Some notes:

Bonecharm traits carry over, but actual bonecharms don't. So any black/corrupt bonecharms will have to be found again since you can't harvest their traits. Fleet Fighter... =/

Unlocked blueprints carry over, but you have to buy them again in the shop. (By the way, apparently some of the yellow blueprints are different for Emily and Corvo. For example, Emily can upgrade her pistol to never have to reload, while Corvo can upgrade his pistol to shoot bullets that ricochet)

Money, ammo, items don't carry over. Ammo/items aren't that big a deal, but it would've been nice if money and any purchased blueprints (aside from yellow ones in case you want to respec) carried over. I doubt anyone wants to go scavenging for money all over again to rebuy the same blueprint upgrades on subsequent playthroughs. Seems like an oversight.

My hope was to play NG+ enough times to eventually have all powers unlocked, all bonecharms available, and all blueprints purchased near the beginning of the game, but sadly that isn't possible (without PC cheats). Still, having access to both power sets is a pretty awesome addition on its own.

Been messing around with the NG+ beta patch. Some notes:

Bonecharm traits carry over, but actual bonecharms don't. So any black/corrupt bonecharms will have to be found again since you can't harvest their traits. Fleet Fighter... =/

Unlocked blueprints carry over, but you have to buy them again in the shop. (By the way, apparently some of the yellow blueprints are different for Emily and Corvo. For example, Emily can upgrade her pistol to never have to reload, while Corvo can upgrade his pistol to shoot bullets that ricochet)

Money, ammo, items don't carry over. Ammo/items aren't that big a deal, but it would've been nice if money and any purchased blueprints (aside from yellow ones in case you want to respec) carried over. I doubt anyone wants to go scavenging for money all over again to rebuy the same blueprint upgrades on subsequent playthroughs. Seems like an oversight.

My hope was to play NG+ enough times to eventually have all powers unlocked, all bonecharms available, and all blueprints purchased near the beginning of the game, but sadly that isn't possible (without PC cheats). Still, having access to both power sets is a pretty awesome addition on its own.

So you can eventually start the game with every single power and upgrade, but neither ultimate bonecharms nor weapon upgrades will be available. Meh, sounds good enough.

So you can eventually start the game with every single power and upgrade, but neither ultimate bonecharms nor weapon upgrades will be available. Meh, sounds good enough.

Would've been fun to carry over all those, but happy with this. Maybe another update will sort it, or it's in the GOTY edition.

The fact that equipment upgrades don't carry over is a definite bummer, because the last thing I want to do on NG+ is scavenge for money. If achievements were a concern they could've disabled certain achievements on NG+...

Either way I'm still having fun with NG+ at least.

Stacking the bonecharms that make more white rats appear with the rune that lets you recover mana by eating white rats makes Rat Swarm incredibly OP. Unlimited Rat Swarms Unlimited Mana!

NOOO WHYYYY????
Since the NG+ news I had been planning what to do to deal with these feckers. :( I mean, they will all still die horribly but it'd been nice to do it with powers. :(
I just restarted as Emily (I'm away on hols by the time the NG+ update kicks in) and as I leave the safe room, about to go down to the streets, I turn around and look at the skyline...and the boat. Then I thought, 'hmmm...with blink/far reach, surely I can just hop across the rooftops direct to the boat...'
Ah well! :)

Satch

Banned
damn i cant wait to get that patch

i need to hurry up and finish my corvo run so i can get back to playing emily for next time

Spoilers for Mission 4

I've been doing a no detection, no kill playthrough on Very Hard of this game with a dear friend of mine who has been going through a seriously serious rough patch in his life... Tonight we spent upwards of six hours playing through the clockwork mansion, literally until the sun rose outside. Seeing him explode with happiness in probably the first time in 3 or 4 months as we played through this mission is some of the purest joy a game has given me in a good long time. Figuring out how to get that fucking electroshock chair working without being spotted by those two machine soldiers...absurd. Why is it that killing them in a pure aerial takedown counts as a detection no matter what? I'm sure there's some non lethal way of taking them down...what is it? We just avoided them entirely which fuckin sucked. In a nice way.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Spoilers for Mission 4

I've been doing a no detection, no kill playthrough on Very Hard of this game with a dear friend of mine who has been going through a seriously serious rough patch in his life... Tonight we spent upwards of six hours playing through the clockwork mansion, literally until the sun rose outside. Seeing him explode with happiness in probably the first time in 3 or 4 months as we played through this mission is some of the purest joy a game has given me in a good long time. Figuring out how to get that fucking electroshock chair working without being spotted by those two machine soldiers...absurd. Why is it that killing them in a pure aerial takedown counts as a detection no matter what? I'm sure there's some non lethal way of taking them down...what is it? We just avoided them entirely which fuckin sucked. In a nice way.

That's a cool story. :)

The answer is:
Stun mines or grenades

I was originally skeptical to Karnaca, thinking that the more central/northern European style of Dunwall was more suited for this game's art style.

I'm now in mission 6, and I think I like Karnaca more. The city just feels carved into the seaside cliffs, ancient and full of mystery. It also has this weird 1920's LA vibe to it, in a way I can't quite describe.

So I noticed a few pages ago that some people liked the in-game paintings, so I thought I'd share links of some artists behind the art design of Dishonored 2:

Piotr Jablonski

Sergey Kolesov

Cedric Peyraverney

Mathieu Reydellet (He did some of the props and posters)

Thanks for the links, and yeah I adore Karnaca as a setting. My next playthrough is going to be a high-chaos one killing just about everybody, not only so I can go crazy with the powers but also just so I can wander around in peace taking in all the freaking amazing art. Like, actual architects surely worked on this game. Stunning.

Spoilers for Mission 4

Shoot off their head with a crossbow (or pistol, though pistol is harder) and then aerial takedowns won't be detected. Just make sure they are far enough away from each other and you are far enough away they don't detect your shot. Distance and accuracy upgrades help a lot.

Just wanna say that Vincent D'Onofrio did a great job as Duke Luca Abele.

Hell, the speech he makes where
he's forced by Stilton to reward miners for their work
gave me a few laughs

Top Bottom