• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

BlizzKrut

Banned
Even though I planned on killing way more people in my second playthrough, I find myself actually not killing anyone. Aside from the deserters and traitors in the first mission I haven't killed anyone yet.

Especially as Emily the game hands you so many powers and tools to kill people, and yet it feels "wrong". It doesn't fit Emily and it doesn't fit the narrative. I have no reason to brutally kill guard #56 just because he happens to patrol the Dust District. I guess it's the same reason I don't kill enemy soldiers in MGS games, or why I prefer the stun gun in Watchdogs 2 when fighting cops.

Wouldn't even a yes/no be a spoiler?

Not really, as it's been stated by Arkane that the Low Chaos ending is the canon one.

I think Hiram Burrows is the only target Corvo canonically killed. I don't remember where I saw that though.

end-game question...
besides killing Delilah and using the corrupted rune is there another way of eliminating her?...in the Mission options there seems to be another way which got crossed out once I used the corrupted rune

**click on the thumbnail to make it bigger if you can't see it

No, the
"Find another way" just refers to continuing on the nonlethal option you're already taking.

Just finished my High Chaos Corvo run. Great stuff.

Going to take a break until the NG+ patch comes out. I hope they let us re-spec at the start of the run (since I'd like to swap my High/Low runs -- Low on Corvo this time, High on Emily).

TitusTroy

No, the
"Find another way" just refers to continuing on the nonlethal option you're already taking.

but then why was it crossed out?...usually if you're taking the correct steps it'll show you a check mark next to the Mission step...it only gets crossed out if you are no longer able to continue with that path or found another option

Just finished A Crack in the Slab and oooh boy. Between the mechanic here and Clockwork Mansion, this game has already surpassed my quite lofty expectations (considering especially that DH1 was my GOTY that year).

I think I'm going to stick to my mantra of avoiding previews of games I'm interested in, cause not knowing a damn thing about them and being surprised is just the way to go for me.

Only problem is I've killed about 8 people already, 7 more than when I played DH1, and a lot of it is by accident, ie. Having a guard in my clutches and another stabs him/her :(

Considering I still get to play through as Emily (and higher chaos), and with New Game + looming, one of the few single player games I'll play through again, methinks.

Co-op possible in DH3 somehow?? Edit: Not at sacrifing the single player experience, I'm just impressed with the puzzles and creativity, I'm curious what they can cook up for a Emily-Corvo/Emily-whoever tag team.

I'm about to start a play through of Dishonored 2, and I have a question I only trust my fellow gaffers to answer: Which character do you think is more fun to play chaos style with? I will sneak some, but I will be lethal and if I get discovered I don't plan to reload or anything.

I plan to do a second playthrough without killing anyone later.

I played the first game once, non lethal. So though I have played as Corvo I didn't use any of his aggressive powers.

I'm about to start a play through of Dishonored 2, and I have a question I only trust my fellow gaffers to answer: Which character do you think is more fun to play chaos style with? I will sneak some, but I will be lethal and if I get discovered I don't plan to reload or anything.

I played the first game once, non lethal. So though I have played as Corvo I didn't use any of his aggressive powers.

I like Corvo's animations better, but Emily can trick enemies into killing each other/ themselves and pulling enemies with Far Reach is plenty of fun. I'd say Emily.

but then why was it crossed out?...usually if you're taking the correct steps it'll show you a check mark next to the Mission step...it only gets crossed out if you are no longer able to continue with that path or found another option

Maybe it's because it's the last objective. There's a red X for objectives you can't fulfill, so I don't know what the blue line could mean.

Corvo is more suited for outright chaos and murder. Emily is great for non lethal.

edit: I was in the same boat as you in regards to playing Corvo non lethal in Dishonored. I chose Emily first, and after my first use of domino I was very happy with that decision.

Stoze

Emily, when it comes to lethal opportunities I think upgraded Far Reach and Domino are the most fun powers in the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe it's because it's the last objective. There's a red X for objectives you can't fulfill, so I don't know what the blue line could mean.

My understanding is that the blue line denotes sub-objectives that weren't completed but had no impact on the outcome of the parent objective. You don't need to kill or "find another way" to dispose of Delilah in order to eliminate her, and I distinctly recall getting a blue line through the "Talk to Dr. Hypatia" sub-objective in The Good Doctor as I assumed doing so would move things forward and instead inadvertently advanced the mission after exploring the room and talking to the injured guard.

Djostikk

Looking at Stealthgamer and others I can say this game can be so much faster with keyboard and mouse. I'm on PS4, though. Playing for the first time as Corvo, high chaos, I'm stealthy, but usually killing everyone I see. Impressed by huge levels and little details, so much secrets to uncover and so much to read.

I dunno, Domino allows for some pretty great chaos opportunities.

The great thing about the character design here is that there are no clearly defined "lethal/non-lethal" character. There are strong skills for both characters to do either.

From my experience, Emily is great for predatory stealth. She is at her strongest when picking off enemies, or using domino/mesmerize for clearing a whole room while staying out of full on combat. Ghosting with Emily requires a smart use of her skills since she is visible during far reach
if she doesn't have the black bonecharm

Corvo is great for pausing time, destroying everything in sight and using rat swarm to clear anything left. On a stealth playthrough his fully upgraded blink makes ghosting an outright joke.

I recommend doing a ghost/no power run on the hardest difficulty after your first couple playthroughs. It really made me appreciate the level design. Get your platforming skills up though, some jump with no powers will make you want to pull out your hair.

Thanks everyone! Although you didn't necessarily agree I think I will play Emily first, then Corvo full stealth/ghost/non lehal, and maybe if I can be bothered I will try Corvo again in new game plus, with fully upgraded powers. I will then prioritize full chaos, with rat swarms and everything ... I'm excited.

(Right now I'm close to finishing Titanfall 2. What a fucking masterpiece of an FPS!

One other thing going for Corvo high chaos is I feel like Stephen Russell really sells the "evil Corvo" lines. Gave me straight up chills a few times.

TitusTroy

seems like the game is meant to be played Low Chaos as a non-lethal character as you appreciate the level design more...playing with High Chaos is way too easy and you can probably finish the game in a ridiculously short period of time

One other thing going for Corvo high chaos is I feel like Stephen Russell really sells the "evil Corvo" lines. Gave me straight up chills a few times.

I like how they both say "And maybe I can find Sokolov" in the Clockwork Mansion like it's just an afterthought.

W E L C O M E T O T H E F I N A L M Y S T E R Y, J I N D O S H!

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before but I just started the game this evening. Is there a way to set the lean controls to be the same as the first game? I'm on PC, and I just want to be able to hold Q or E to lean left or right, not this weird Left-Alt toggle system. It's nice to be able to peek over and under, but I've got 60-something hours of Dishonored 1 muscle memory here (plus every other PC FPS with a lean function) and I really don't like this new system. I can't unlean when I want to, and I can't stay leaning when I want to. It automatically kicks you out of leaning when you start moving, so you can't round a doorway while leaning any more.

Almost done, I'm pretty methodical so I've gotten most special events and runes without being spotted. Only two lethal missions as well. I'm gonna get ghost but not clean hands this time. I'm at about 30 hours lol.

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before but I just started the game this evening. Is there a way to set the lean controls to be the same as the first game? I'm on PC, and I just want to be able to hold Q or E to lean left or right, not this weird Left-Alt toggle system. It's nice to be able to peek over and under, but I've got 60-something hours of Dishonored 1 muscle memory here (plus every other PC FPS with a lean function) and I really don't like this new system. I can't unlean when I want to, and I can't stay leaning when I want to. It automatically kicks you out of leaning when you start moving, so you can't round a doorway while leaning any more.

Nope, not currently. Harvey did say they were considering changing it on Twitter, but probably shouldn't count that as any sort of confirmation. I ultimately just didn't lean very much in Dishonored 2. (Which was mostly okay, since people can actually see you while leaning in this game.)

You mean 7. that's the time one.

I mean 7. That's the time one :D

To be fair, I think mission 8 is really great as well.

TitusTroy

why no Chapter Select option?...I liked that all my stats for each mission were laid out after completing the game...I know they're adding it later via patch but was that so hard to include at release?

Xeteh

Am I missing something or is the prompt for grabbing a guard to choke/kill super finicky about when it comes up? I've caused alerts because I try to quickly grab someone only to have to stand there a few seconds until I find a sweet spot for it to pop up. This is on PS4 if that matters.

Video clip: Link

Chitown B

Am I missing something or is the prompt for grabbing a guard to choke/kill super finicky about when it comes up? I've caused alerts because I try to quickly grab someone only to have to stand there a few seconds until I find a sweet spot for it to pop up. This is on PS4 if that matters.

Video clip: Link

yeah that's a problem on X1 as well. Half the time I'll just put up my knife to block.

brawly

Glad I gave it another try. I got the warp, bought the "enemies vanish upon silent takedown" and the chain takedown. It's so much better now. Did anyone play through it without powers? I can't even imagine.

Chitown B

Glad I gave it another try. I got the warp, bought the "enemies vanish upon silent takedown" and the chain takedown. It's so much better now. Did anyone play through it without powers? I can't even imagine.

I will eventually. I did it in DH1, but in that one you could at least use Blink. Not so in DH2.

Xeteh

yeah that's a problem on X1 as well. Half the time I'll just put up my knife to block.

Yeah, its strange. I played through the first game multiple times on PC with a 360 controller and never had the issue but its been driving me nuts on this one and I'm only on mission 4.

I kind of just want to be playing more Dishonored 2 right now. Forcing myself to wait for the NG+ update, though. Hoping it comes out this week.

I'm on mission 7 of a ghost/no powers run. There have been plenty of reloads, but it is incredibly fun. Traps and grenades actually work as a great stand in for powers. Playing without powers made using equipment and finding blueprint upgrades crucial.

I was pushed to go no powers after playing the game and finding all of the alternate paths hidden throughout. The level design in this game is so good.

Just finished mission 5 I think it was and I am LOVING this game. I'm playing Emily right now and playing super stealth and it's so much fun @.@ I just love sneaking around and the level design is wonderful, oh man.

Satch

Banned
i've finally started playing as corvo for my clean hands run and i miss playing emily
BibleThump.png

SJRB

Gold Member
Pretty cool new kill compilation video. I think Corvo definitely has the more fun kit for this kind of stuff because of Time Stop.

...what the hell at the guard pushing the lady over the ledge. In my playthroughs they're friends, maybe even lovers and talk about running away together. She still has to steal the silver cigarette case for the guard, but it's to finance their escape.

It's probably a high/low chaos thing, but didn't realise stuff like this changed too.

i've finally started playing as corvo for my clean hands run and i miss playing emily
BibleThump.png

Yeah doing my second playthrough as Emily, like it even more than my first as Corvo. Just makes more sense to play as Emily, I guess. Even though Blink is probably superior to Far Reach, but the "grab object from afar" kinda negates that.

haveheart

Banned
Just finished it. Took me almost 20 hours even thought I'm just a partial completionist. I think you could easily sink 30 hrs into the first walkthrough. I'm saving my second Emily run for summer next year.

What a great game! Surapssed my expectations. The end credits song is so good!

I cannot wait for a DLC.

Just finished at almost exactly 30 hours. Got my shadow achievement but my hands were dirtied accidentally at Addemire. I think I only had two missions with kills. Really wonderful game.

brawly

What do I do if I don't have a rewiring tool and don't have a key to a side alley? I don't it being this annoying to proceed in the first one.

Nevermind, the power thingy was right next to the rewire box.

Renae

Don't know if I'll enjoy the game, since stealth games are not my preferred games. I went through MGS 2-3-4 only because the story was good, I finished Deus Ex HR but it bored me as hell, and I think stealth games are in general too punishing.
Should I buy Dishonored 2 ? I can get it with the first one for only 30 bucks.

Don't know if I'll enjoy the game, since stealth games are not my preferred games. I went through MGS 2-3-4 only because the story was good, I finished Deus Ex HR but it bored me as hell, and I think stealth games are in general too punishing.

I would say you should probably pass then. Technically you can play it loud and violent but its really designed for stealth play IMO.

I would say you should probably pass then. Technically you can play it loud and violent but its really designed for stealth play IMO.

I would disagree that the game is primarily designed for stealth. It's incredibly fun to play lethally and non stealthily. A lot of work went into making the game work for both approaches.

Top Bottom