• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Kvik

Two of my favourites. See if I can post more later.

31409094301_b9936a7795_o.png

"Afternoon Cards".

Duke Luca Abele definitely got influenced by Delilah. A self portrait.

SJRB

Gold Member
Crack in the Slab:
that was an amazing change of pace. Very, VERY well-crafted mission.

However, I was under the assumption that I could take insane Stilton back to the ship but unfortunately that's not the case.

I realise what I should have done, but the seance is over and it's too late. This is the second time now I realise I can save a character when it's already too late. I'm not sure if it's just my fault for not thinking "outside the box" enough or of the game doesn't give enough hints.

O well, I'll save you on my next playthrough, Stilton. You kinda got what you deserved though by being part of the seance in the first place.

Chitown B

Just got the "Silence" achievement.

Going through the Clockwork mansion without alerting any Clockwork Soldiers or rotating any of the rooms was really cool. Plus the satisfaction of assassinating that smug asshole without him ever knowing I was there was great.

Realizing you can beat that level without ever rotating any of the rooms also gave me another layer of appreciation for the level design.

Saved at the start and I'm going to replay it though, because I want to hear the High Chaos dialogue between Jindosh and Corvo (did low chaos Emily the first time).

Pretty sure to save the prisoner you have to rotate one of the rooms.

Curufinwe

I think you have to actually kill the enemy to get the 10 drop assassination trophy.

I didn't get it after two full playthrus, so I loaded up mission 4 and killed a bunch of people by dropping on them at the start.

Well i finished it today. Really good game overall. Two really clever unique levels are its high point. Its lowest being (end game spoilers)
Delilah fight. Stealthing the clones was ok but the rest felt kinda badly done. Saying that there are prob other ways to beat her that play out differently. I put her soul back in stealthily (but you immediately get teleported infront of her, then she ran through the painting, then i added the corrupt rune, then went in painting, then stealthed the clones and finally murdered her crazy ass.

Overall though, its a great sequel.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished it, low chaos Corvo.

That was amazing. Excellent game, overall. Some low points, but I've had a great deal of fun playing this one. Took me about 26 hours for this playthrough, really took my time and explored as much as I could.

The greatest compliment I can give the game is that its level and gameplay design makes me feel smart. By using chandeleers, edges along roofs and all sorts of routes I feel like I'm outsmarting the game. Even though of course those things were placed there for obvious reasons. Another moment that made me think I was super clever [until I noticed there was an actual trophy for doing this so everyone and their mom did it was in Crack in the Slab:
hide under the table, warp to the past, pickpocket the soldier's keys, warp back to the present

Crack in the Slab and the Jindosh Mansion were the highlights because of their non-traditional level design and clever use of the game's mechanics.

Mission 8 was surprisingly anticlimactic, unfortunately. Up until this point the game "tricked" me several times, so I was totally expecting a
body double doublecross or something [the body double IS the actual Duke
, but alas. The game basically hands you the solution to everything as soon as you enter because there are two NPCs who explain who's who. I even used the heart several times on both to make 100% sure I wasn't being punked.

Another anticlimax is the final boss, but I'm not sure how I'd change it to make it more interesting. I wasn't detected once, so it made the entire fight moot. But still, the way the final boss is dealt with in low chaos is kinda okay, in a twisted way.

Final point: I cannot believe that all we get as an epilogue/outro is a 15-second sequence of freeze frames. It's just like the first game. I really wish they would've just shown some of Karnaca's areas we visited being all better now. But alas, can't have everything I suppose.

9/10, no doubt in my top 3 favourite games of 2016. Excellent experience. Can't wait to replay as Emily and try out her powers. After holding back so much as Corvo, can't wait to kill some of the scumbags in this game.

Can't wait to replay as Emily and try out her powers. After holding back so much as Corvo, can't wait to kill some of the scumbags in this game.
Yup. I just started my replay as Emily. In mission one
I initially knocked out Ramsey and left him in the safe room. I then repassed the dead body of the female bodyguard he brutally murdered. Said fuk that so picked him up, opened the window in the adjoining bedroom, and threw him into the sea below.
Felt cathartic.

Also regarding mission 8
I talked to Luca thinking he was the double and he played along with Corvo's plan. We walked downstairs together but he pulled the alarm nearby alerting the guards outside who rushed in and smoked me. Was a cool touch that.

I hadn't gathered any intel in the mission on the double as I blinked up to the Duke's roof and dropped right into his chamber.

The weakest mission for me was probably the final one. Felt very anticlimactic but it was really dark.

TitusTroy

I'm up to Mission 9 and curious if the game ever references Piero or Samuel the boatman from the first game...I thought they deserved a mention...especially Piero since he and Sokolov were partners at the end of the first game

MazeHaze

Banned
I'm up to Mission 9 and curious if the game ever references Piero or Samuel the boatman from the first game...I thought they deserved a mention...especially Piero since he and Sokolov were partners at the end of the first game

Emily offhandedly mentions samuel in mission 8 or 9, but it's just like a one second dialogue quip.

"If samuel could see me now" iirc

There's a couple of references to both of them.

(Also, the S&J Elixirs are a reference to Piero and Sokolov: Sokolov & Joplin, as they worked together to end the rat plague.)

TitusTroy

so did most people figure out the twist before it was revealed that
Meagan was really Billie Lurk
...it came as a surprise to me...seems like the DLC from the first game is almost required to play to fully understand and appreciate Dishonored 2

Nope, I got it on my no kill run.

Could it have been from dogs and Clockwork Soldiers? Because I definitely did not get it on my no kill run, and I would drop attack people all the time.

...it came as a surprise to me...seems like the DLC from the first game is almost required to play to fully understand and appreciate Dishonored 2

I didn't figure it out, but I blame that on the fact that it's been 3 or 4 years since I played D1 and its DLC. I honestly pretty much forgot who Billie Lurk was until the end. If I had played it recently I think it would have been more obvious to me.

Lijik

I did but thats mostly because
Billie makes a surprise appearance right at the end of the tie-in comic series that makes it obvious she's Meagan
. I think even without that I would've guessed at some point since I had played the DLC earlier this year but I dont know if I wouldve picked up on the foreshadowing right away or not.

SJRB

Gold Member
O my fucking god, end of chapter 2 and according to the stats I got spotted once. This is absolutely 100% not true. There goes my ghost playthrough. There's no way I'm restarting the game, even though I'm only in chapter 2.

I don't like this.

edit: great, it also didn't unlock the trophy for saving the guy from getting pushed into the wall of light, even though I did. I disabled the windmill and the guy ran away. Damnit.

shiba5

O my fucking god, end of chapter 2 and according to the stats I got spotted once. This is absolutely 100% not true. There goes my ghost playthrough. There's no way I'm restarting the game, even though I'm only in chapter 2.

I don't like this.

edit: great, it also didn't unlock the trophy for saving the guy from getting pushed into the wall of light, even though I did. I disabled the windmill and the guy ran away. Damnit.

Did you get spotted by a civilian maybe? They were a pain in the butt in that chapter - trying to get the body to Mindy was awful because they would all freak out.

There is a reference to Samuel in the first mission in Emily's Panic Room.

Is there a bug with The Dust District blueprints? The mission success screen says I found 2/3, but every guide I've looked at only lists the two I found. Is there a hidden one all of the guides are missing?

Man this game would have been my goty if it had more levels like mission 4 and 7 still a great game

I realize I'm in the minority, but I hated mission 4 (clockwork mansion) so much. So frustrating and not fun. It made me turn on the game a bit, but I'm back to enjoying it again on mission 5.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just completely ghosted the Clockwork Mansion, that was awesome. And surprisingly easy to boot. Can't stop playing this game, it's so freaking good.

One weird oversight is that you can't grab someone in a chokehold when they're sitting on a chair, so when I reached
completely unsuspecting Jindosh it resulted in a weird dance of me trying to grab him, he jumping up, I misgrab, he spots me, etc. I rendered him KO before he could alert the clockwork soldier, but still. It was a bit of an awkward anticlimactic moment.

The game has a surprising amount of weirdly janky stuff, but it only happens on occasion and it's hard to reproduce. Like for example when you get spotted and soldiers go into alert. If you quickload a save, some soldiers might still go in caution mode after the load is complete, even though technically there's no reason to do so. Some AI stuff just carries over from the previous loadstate I guess? It's weird.

Anyway, how about this vistas huh? Beautiful game.

The Dishonored 2 art book is overpriced at $50, but very nice.

I got it for my birthday.

O nice, I should look into that. 50 bucks is kinda brutal though, that thing better be 800 pages or something.

ArjanN

I don't like this.

If you're going for a ghost playthrough make new unique saves often and frequently check your stats.

Nope buy its been ages since i plaued D1 and never played the DLC. That whole reveal felt really out of place to me but i guess its because of this. What i did like however is that after mission 7
she had her eye and arm back. So i guess knocking out the dude in that mission fixed what ever caused that. Or maybe it happens what ever choice you make, i dont know

SJRB

Gold Member

I had it on my Amazon wishlist with the art of Deus Ex book, and my mum picked the much more expensive one to get me.

After the very disappointing Deus Ex artbook I'm never dishing out 40 bucks for an artbook again unless I'm 100% positive it's going to be well worth it.

You actually can, just gotta get the right angle.

From my experience this depends on the type of chair. You can snag people away from a regular chair. There are also chairs with bigger back frames and I found it impossible to grab anyone sitting on those. In mission 2 at the Overeer Outpost, the head overseer is sitting at a desk, back to the balcony. The guy is impossible to grab. I could literally grab all the loot and notes right from under his nose, but it was impossible to grab him. Same goes for Jindosh, I couldn't for the life of me get the grab prompt. Now with Jindosh I had to work kinda fast because of the patrolling Clockwork Soldier, but still.

Finding the game kind of boring without powers. A big part of the fun of doing it in the first game was discovering the ways the game was built to incorporate no powers. In this game, you already know the game was designed with that in mind, so it's just a more-limited version of what I've already played.

What is up with

Meagan sometimes missing an arm and an eye, and sometimes not?

Don't read if you want to figure it out yourself:
Knocking Aramis Stilton out in the past creates a better present where Meagan has her eye and arm

Gave this game a second chance after not liking it on a rental. Still not into it. I like playing as Corvo better than Emily but I just don't like it, ultimately.

Only thing I can think is that maybe it's actually a little too big. I always felt like I was finding places and having a hard time figuring out how it connected to the map as a whole

Also sometimes it seemed like whether or not blink worked was a bit arbitrary.

Gave this game a second chance after not liking it on a rental. Still not into it. I like playing as Corvo better than Emily but I just don't like it, ultimately.

Only thing I can think is that maybe it's actually a little too big. I always felt like I was finding places and having a hard time figuring out how it connected to the map as a whole

Also sometimes it seemed like whether or not blink worked was a bit arbitrary.

Do you not like stealth games?
The maps are overwhelming on the first playthrough. Some people like exploring the entire game their first time through. I prefer to just walk through it and save exploration for when I know how to not be spotted by guards every 5 seconds. There are unfortunately quite a few places that aren't necessary to go to even to collect runes or bone charms. It's good that they're fleshing out each level as a coherent and believable location at least.

This is the Thief sequel I always wanted isn't it.

How can Arkane deliver two of them in a row. Thief IV(Dishonored) and Thief V(Dishonored 2) are fantastic.

TitusTroy

end-game question...
besides killing Delilah and using the corrupted rune is there another way of eliminating her?...in the Mission options there seems to be another way which got crossed out once I used the corrupted rune

**click on the thumbnail to make it bigger if you can't see it

brawly

Started it today. Looks really good graphically (OG PS4). Bit annoyed with the aiming acceleration.

And I wish developers would include a "story / exploration" mode choice so we could automatically skip all of this "are you ready?" bs.

Edit: just deleted it. Really not up to stealth atm (getting constantly spotted) and the combat is still trash. I don't get why they don't implement different heavy attacks. These guys made Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. In Dark Messiah pressing right before holding the attack button is a different strong attack than holding up, right or down. Here it's always the same forward piercing motion. How lame is that?

The writing was on the wall, because while I enjoyed the first one on the PC, I couldnt get past the first hour upon replaying it on the PS4.

SJRB

Gold Member
Even though I planned on killing way more people in my second playthrough, I find myself actually not killing anyone. Aside from the deserters and traitors in the first mission I haven't killed anyone yet.

Especially as Emily the game hands you so many powers and tools to kill people, and yet it feels "wrong". It doesn't fit Emily and it doesn't fit the narrative. I have no reason to brutally kill guard #56 just because he happens to patrol the Dust District. I guess it's the same reason I don't kill enemy soldiers in MGS games, or why I prefer the stun gun in Watchdogs 2 when fighting cops.

Without major spoilers, but can anyone tell me if Daud appears in this game?

Wouldn't even a yes/no be a spoiler?

Top Bottom