• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider – The Ultimate Target (out this Friday!!)

lcap

She’s killed for money. She’s killed for principle. She’s killed to survive. But Billie Lurk has a new reason to pursue her latest target: redemption. In Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, the fan-favorite character from the Dishonored series is playable for the first time ever – and she’s embarking on her final mission to take down a target like none other: the mysterious god-like Outsider. “Rightly or wrongly, Billie and her mentor Daud come to the conclusion that the Outsider is responsible for a lot of the chaos in the world,” says Creative Director Harvey Smith. “And if they remove the Outsider, then the world will be a better, safer place.”

But who exactly is the Outsider? Why is he such a beloved character in the Dishonored series? And do you actually have to kill him? Find out more in our latest video.

Bethesda Blog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61FqXD_csfw

Can't wait for this game, more Dishonored is always good. Hope it doesn't fly under people's radar that it's actually releasing this Friday!!!!

Coxy100

Banned
Does seem to hardly have been talked about on here - will be getting this in a month or so. More Dishonoured is a good thing!

Mifec

Hey our bad writers ruined a character so much that we have to make a whole expansion about killing him off.

I'm still gonna get it and play it.

Catdaddy

Seems to be very little buzz about this, didn’t know until last week this was even releasing, started playing DH2 again yesterday and probably through the weekend, to allow time for reviews and performance information to drop.

It wasn't until my second playthrough that I realized just how unbelievably good D2 was. Will support these guys by being there day 1.

Sciel

I'll get it on PC but i'll wait for performance reviews before buying. Won't make the same mistake as I did as Dishonored 2.

Morts

Got a shipping notification for this Monday so I thought I might get it early, but it hasn't moved since then...

rtcn63

Does seem to hardly have been talked about on here - will be getting this in a month or so. More Dishonoured is a good thing!

Dishonored 2's performance issues on almost every platform really soured people. And after playing the three-stage demo, the game really isn't that great- I honesty believe that the heart mechanic should be removed, and the game simply give you fewer items to pick up, while using more environmental cues (i.e. notes) to hint at their locations. Let you explore as opposed to tethering you (let's be honest the game is likely balanced around it) to the shitty GPS heart. (As in, it's also a shitty GPS considering its intent)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pre-load is live on Steam. 23.39GB install/20GB download.

Edit: It unlocks first in AU, NZ and Asia at 1am AEST*.
t1505401200z0.png

* Unless Valve's finally fixed the countdown timer, in which case it's 12am AEST.

dr_rus

Pre-ordered months ago. I have a feeling that I won't like the story again though, as it has already happened with DH2. I mean, Billy Lurk is most definitely not my "fan-favorite character", I would hardly even call her a character really.

Would very much prefer to play as Corvo again in this "standalone DLC", being in a proper story about Corvo this time, after DH2 basically forced me to play as Emily for its story to make any kind of sense.

The Dishonored series is my top new IP from the last 5 years. I might even say top 5 from the last 10 years along side IPs like the Last of Us, or RDR if that counts (given that RDR was really a fairly different game than Red Dead Revolver).

Arkane is just so good. The lore they pack their worlds with is great. The imaginitive gameplay is so unique. Their game worlds are great, characters are interesting.

It's amazing how much Dishonored 1 got right, as well. In an age when the second game always feels like it "should have been the first" and makes the first feel like a tech demo (Assassins Creed, Titanfall, Uncharted, etc), Dishonored 1 just got so much right. I only played Dishonored 1 once and then went back years later after playing the hell out of Dishonored 2 expecting it to be a lot worse than I remembered, but it wasn't... Aside from some things that were a little rough around the edges, and some levels that weren't paced evenly (especially towards the end), I was so surprised how well it all still played and how unique each level felt.

Dishonored 2, IMO, was a masterpiece. The first time playing the Adermire institute level I was afraid with my heart pumping. The first time in the clockwork mansion my mind was bending around those puzzles. First time in A Crack in the Slab I was just sitting in my chair with a huge smile on my face because when I didn't think the game could get any more clever, it just did. And then replaying all of those missions using Stealth / Ghost / No Kill / High Kill / etc, just made them so much different. Playing through a lot of levels 3 or 4 times I found things that I never saw the first 2 or 3 times, ways in our out of a room. Just a brilliant game.

I'm really excited for Death of the Outsider, though sad that it's also "the end" of this Dishonored saga/trilogy. It sounds like Arkane doesn't quite know if they're going to revisit the series, but I hope they do. Although they seem firm on the idea that this is the last Dishonored set around this period -- the rat plague, assassination of the Empress, bloodfly epidemic -- and that if they do come back to the continent, it'll be at a different time with a different story. I'm okay with that because the lore is so rich that they have a lot they can expand on.

WGMBY

Can't wait, just finished replaying Dishonored 2 as Corvo. I loved the Dishonored 1 DLC, so having Daud and Billie back is something I'm really looking forward to.

SkylineRKR

Dishonored 2 was so good that I could never play Mankind Divided again. The level design of Dishonored 2, the clockwork mansion for example, it was perfect.

I might pick up this piece.

jacobeid

Banned
Dishonored 2 was so good that I could never play Mankind Divided again. The level design of Dishonored 2, the clockwork mansion for example, it was perfect.

I might pick up this piece.

Dishonored 2 was so good that when I tried to play Deus Ex, I didn't make it two hours into the game before selling it (I never do that).

Can't wait for Friday to play this. I still need to do another playthrough of D2....

I'll get it on PC but i'll wait for performance reviews before buying. Won't make the same mistake as I did as Dishonored 2.

Exactly where I am with it. Loved D1 and how well it ran and bought D2 sight unseen. Was very disappointed how D2 ran on my i7-4770k/980ti combo. It ran like garbage and took months before it was in a state that I thought was acceptable. It's awful performance really ruined my excitement for the game, which was bad because it was my most anticipated game of the year too. Still have yet to do a second playthrough.

I really hope they got their shit together. But I won't bank on it.

Pre-ordered months ago. I have a feeling that I won't like the story again though, as it has already happened with DH2. I mean, Billy Lurk is most definitely not my "fan-favorite character", I would hardly even call her a character really.

Would very much prefer to play as Corvo again in this "standalone DLC", being in a proper story about Corvo this time, after DH2 basically forced me to play as Emily for its story to make any kind of sense.
The proper way to play DH2 was to skip every cutscene.

lcap

The Dishonored series is my top new IP from the last 5 years. I might even say top 5 from the last 10 years along side IPs like the Last of Us, or RDR if that counts (given that RDR was really a fairly different game than Red Dead Revolver).

Arkane is just so good. The lore they pack their worlds with is great. The imaginitive gameplay is so unique. Their game worlds are great, characters are interesting.

It's amazing how much Dishonored 1 got right, as well. In an age when the second game always feels like it "should have been the first" and makes the first feel like a tech demo (Assassins Creed, Titanfall, Uncharted, etc), Dishonored 1 just got so much right. I only played Dishonored 1 once and then went back years later after playing the hell out of Dishonored 2 expecting it to be a lot worse than I remembered, but it wasn't... Aside from some things that were a little rough around the edges, and some levels that weren't paced evenly (especially towards the end), I was so surprised how well it all still played and how unique each level felt.

Dishonored 2, IMO, was a masterpiece. The first time playing the Adermire institute level I was afraid with my heart pumping. The first time in the clockwork mansion my mind was bending around those puzzles. First time in A Crack in the Slab I was just sitting in my chair with a huge smile on my face because when I didn't think the game could get any more clever, it just did. And then replaying all of those missions using Stealth / Ghost / No Kill / High Kill / etc, just made them so much different. Playing through a lot of levels 3 or 4 times I found things that I never saw the first 2 or 3 times, ways in our out of a room. Just a brilliant game.

I'm really excited for Death of the Outsider, though sad that it's also "the end" of this Dishonored saga/trilogy. It sounds like Arkane doesn't quite know if they're going to revisit the series, but I hope they do. Although they seem firm on the idea that this is the last Dishonored set around this period -- the rat plague, assassination of the Empress, bloodfly epidemic -- and that if they do come back to the continent, it'll be at a different time with a different story. I'm okay with that because the lore is so rich that they have a lot they can expand on.

You nailed perfectly my feelings towards Arkane. I remember when I first played D1, not knowing what to expect (I kinda went to the game blind a few years later, only knowing that you had superpowers) and being blown away by every level of the game, specially Lady Boyle's Party.

It's really a game about the journey rather than the endings and puts me a smile on my face how much I've grown as a player because of D1, its DLC and D2. They taught me how to finally value environmental storytelling, and pay attention to the amount of work the devs have put to make an incredible environment and lore. Last week I went back to play a few of the Knife of Dunwall and it really has shown my growth, becoming way more creative with how I handle my possibility space within the game and more importantly, I learned to stop save spamming and decided to adapt to the situation as soon as I got detected.

If there is one gripe I would have with the game that made me lose about an hour to this day is that in one of the first missions I had to dump a guy on a dumpster and, as I always play with the markers off I tried all the dumpsters on the city until I found which specific one I had to.

I'm currently reading through the Corroded Man novel and I'm loving the game's lore even more.

rackham

Banned
Dishonored 2 was absolute garbage.

Literally just replayed Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches today though. Still amazing.

I MIGHT pick this up but who knows. I really hated what they did to The Outsider (and everything/everyone else) in Dishonored 2. I don't trust them to pull off anything good with this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sweet. You better have a good thread title *shakes fist*

Knife of Dunwall was originally titled The Other Side of the Coin. While the name would have been a perfect fit for the Knife of Dunwall OT, it's also relevant to Death of the Outsider given you play as Billie Lurk and she's closely affiliated with Daud.

JWiLL

Banned
StealthGamerBR posted a video of this already, which means Arkane are working with him directly now...which is amazing.

At work so I can't post it but I'd urge anyone interested in the game to check it out. Incredible stuff as per usual, even more so considering the limited time he had with the game to plan it out.

Top Bottom