• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dislike Button is coming to X/Twitter

HoodWinked

Couple of the early replies have the same "sky is falling" energy like when half of twitter was fired and the site ran fine afterwards.

The "dislike" is probably just this with less steps so it can tune the recommendations more easily. Ironically the people saying it would bring more negativity it probably will do the opposite since it will reduce that visibility depending on your preferences.

bKZWWLd.png

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Love it

X has been really good for me. Gets me what I need. I stay out of the BS. I will gladly take the good over the stupid. It will exist and continue to do so. Best not put your brain energy into idiots.

Tams

I mean, the irony of saying that introducing a dislike button to Twitter/X will increase negativity on it...

It's long been an echo chamber, which won't change. All sides are going to receive (so far it's just users transmitting it) more negative responses, but I reckon the liberal snowflakes are the ones most likely to have breakdowns over it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Couple of the early replies have the same "sky is falling" energy like when half of twitter was fired and the site ran fine afterwards.

The "dislike" is probably just this with less steps so it can tune the recommendations more easily. Ironically the people saying it would bring more negativity it probably will do the opposite since it will reduce that visibility depending on your preferences.

bKZWWLd.png
I seriously doubt dislikes will be fed into the algorithm and stop showing you they content.

Dislikes will probably not publicly viewable, it's there so the algorithm can use that information to show you more interesting posts in the "For You" timeline.

BTW There are browser addons like "Return YouTube Dislike" that show you the dislike count. Works perfectly.
If that's the case, this might be a good change after all. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Good. We shouldn't foster a generation of snowflakes afraid to have their content criticized and disliked.
I don’t really care but it also just feeds into the “brigading” people do which I think is cringe. Like you are going to change the world ratioing dorks on the internet most people have never even heard of.

No need to review bomb, splash a fiver a month and directly tell the game devs what your talentless freak ass dislikes.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Looking at this from a different perspective this is actually a great way to increase engagement, as I've pointed out in a thread previously people seem to thrive in hating and being negative online, so now posts that you hate will also get attention because now you'll want to interact with this post, you'll want to dislike it BUT then you'll also share it with your followers, you'll encourage them to dislike it too, thus increasing reach and engagement.

It's genius, it's tapping into how most humans use the internet now, to hate on things and bitch!

FeralEcho

I mean, the irony of saying that introducing a dislike button to Twitter/X will increase negativity on it...

It's long been an echo chamber, which won't change. All sides are going to receive (so far it's just users transmitting it) more negative responses, but I reckon the liberal snowflakes are the ones most likely to have breakdowns over it.
Bet we'll see alot of "emotional damage" in the coming weeks of its implementation.

IntentionalPun

I dunno man it’s an endless string of thin skinned people on these platforms not exactly unique to liberals.

Tams

I dunno man it’s an endless string of thin skinned people on these platforms not exactly unique to liberals.

Oh, I wasn't claiming that liberals were solely the thin-skinned. There are plenty on all sides.

I'd say there's nothing of value on Twitter/X, but thinking about there is. It keeps the nutjobs mostly there, so we can enjoy forums like this mostly undisturbed.

IntentionalPun

Oh, I wasn't claiming that liberals were solely the thin-skinned. There are plenty on all sides.

I'd say there's nothing of value on Twitter/X, but thinking about there is. It keeps the nutjobs mostly there, so we can enjoy forums like this mostly undisturbed.
Yeah it's like it's own world full of people who think the entire world is like their Twitter battleground. In the end it's a couple hundred million people at most who are not a representative sample of the 8 billion on the planet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom