• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

qindarka

Banned
I hate to mention this and it might not even be relevant but to lend more credence to the idea that early reviews tend to be more positive, I looked at the RT scores for Man of Steel on a whim and the early ones were pretty damned positive.

So might be best not to get carried away with the early acclaim.

Ithil

The trailers were not good, but the actual footage in them seemed good, like Tangled and its trailers. I must say, I hate the simplified title. "The Snow Queen" is a much better title than "Frozen".

Gaston

I am so psyched for this movie. The initial trailers gave me a bad taste in my mouth, but I think it was the third one that had "For the First Time in Forever" playing that really sells me on Disney coming out with another classic.

massoluk

Banned
I don't understand Disney. I thought they totally outdid Pixar with Princess and Frog and Tangled. Then they gave us turd like Planes. Now they seem to reach greatness again with Frozen.

I don't understand you.

qindarka

Banned
I don't understand Disney. I thought they totally outdid Pixar with Princess and Frog and Tangled. Then they gave us turd like Planes. Now they seem to reach greatness again with Frozen.

I don't understand you.

Planes isn't a WDAS film, it's by Disneytoons which specializes in DTV films. Planes was indeed meant to be DTV before a late decision to put it in theaters.

The trailers were not good, but the actual footage in them seemed good, like Tangled and its trailers. I must say, I hate the simplified title. "The Snow Queen" is a much better title than "Frozen".

...and 'Rapunzel' was better than 'Tangled'. It's their new concept for naming fairy tale musicals, apparently.

Violet_0

Banned
Tangled and Wreck It were both great, Bolt was good too (I enjoyed Winnie the Pooh as well). WDAS hasn't disappointed in a while

drspeedy

tumblr_mus8sgr8Po1rho45co1_500.gif

Dat OT. The only animated movie I've skipped over recently was Cloudy 2, so I'll be watching this eventually. Of course the trailers do it a disservice (snowman's is a bit annoying for older people) but the reviews and others' impressions have me more interested. Tangled was good (not amazing, but good, especially with its painty-feeling animation) and if this is said to surpass that, I'll most certainly give it a chance.

why did you skip cloudy 2?!

just as quirky as the original with a ton of great puns and stupid humor. Plus it has a certain Genndy Tartakovsky quality that I really loved.

Back on topic: excited for this one, Tangled was great. If the comparisons are accurate Frozen should be amazing.

Didn't they rename it to Tangled to attract a wider male audience?

Yep. It was strongly suggested that "Princess and the Frog" was poorly received due to the lack of gender neutrality. Boys don't want to see a princess movie...

why did you skip cloudy 2?!

just as quirky as the original with a ton of great puns and stupid humor. Plus it has a certain Genndy Tartakovsky quality that I really loved.

Dunno. Cloudy's a bit too quirky for me I guess. I think I've seen every animated movie to hit theaters this millennium except that one, so I might as well give it a shot.

Yep. It was strongly suggested that "Princess and the Frog" was poorly received due to the lack of gender neutrality. Boys don't want to see a princess movie...

Oh, I haven't seen Princess and the Frog either.

meow

I LOVE Let It Go. Been listening to it so much the last few days.

I think I'll take my sister to see this movie next weekend.

I don't care how good the reviews are. The snowman is so fucking annoying in the previews that's all I can think about. If they wanted people to understand it's a good film, why would they market it like that? The previews are not doing it any favors.

WvNVlRhl.jpg

Same here. I just can't get past that terrible snowman character. I might give it a chance when it's available on home video.

overcast

Really can't wait for this movie. I adore Tangled, beautiful and funny movie. Wreck it Ralph was damn good as well.

The trailers for this were really not convincing, but neither were Tangled's. So, I was expecting this to turn out well. Seems like I could be right.

Oozer3993

I'm absolutely there day 1. I adore Tangled, think Wreck-It Ralph is incredible, and love Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell, so I am ludicrously psyched for this.

I know that lately the "opposite" thing has worked for Disney trailers... Tangled looked awful but turned out decent, Wreck-It-Ralph looked decent but turned out awful...

But man, that snowman. Fuck that snowman.

I don't even hate Disney's cutesy sidekick characters that often, but this guy gives me "annoying" vibes on the level of the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies, or Beverly Hills Chihuahua or whatever.

Anyway, I hope it ends up being good because I'll probably end up seeing it at one point or another.

I know that lately the "opposite" thing has worked for Disney trailers... Tangled looked awful but turned out decent, Wreck-It-Ralph looked decent but turned out awful...

But man, that snowman. Fuck that snowman.

I don't even hate Disney's cutesy sidekick characters that often, but this guy gives me "annoying" vibes on the level of the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies, or Beverly Hills Chihuahua or whatever.

Anyway, I hope it ends up being good because I'll probably end up seeing it at one point or another.

Yeah I thought this looked rubbish too and the trailers haven't sold me on it but the reviews are looking really good so it may be surprising.

eXistor

But Tangled wasn't even that good. This one looks fun though, I'll give it a go someday, but the trailers don't seem too promising to me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Holy fuck. Those reviews. I wasn't planning on watching this in theaters but now I'm seriously reconsidering that stance...

Whoa.

I'm really hyped now. :O

Honestly, I'm still kind of shocked (and thrilled) that Disney finally made their Snow Queen film.

It's been in the Disney pipeline in various forms for no less than six decades.

That's remarkable. Do you have a link detailing the film's production history?

I used to hate on Olaf...

Then I remembered Ray in The Princess and the Frog. Ray was a much more likable character than 98% of every character that wasn't Charlotte in that film.
Then I read leaked bits of the script.
Then I saw bits and pieces of The Book of Mormon.
Then I saw his musical number.

Then I realized that Olaf is going to be okay.

What are you on about, man?

Wreck-It Ralph turned out to be pretty damn enjoyable. Nowhere near the standard set by Tangled but certainly worth a watch.

To be fair, I thought Tangled was only "decent" as well, but I was expecting straight-up BAD from the trailers. Regardless, we're still a LONG way from the quality of the renaissance period.

Wreck-It Ralph left a sour taste in my mouth by having a pretty strong opening that then pulled a MGS2-level bait-and-switch, taking us to the unfunny, uncharming candy lands where the entire thing goes off the rails. The humor also tends to be pretty annoying and patronizing imo.

So for those who have seen it. How well written is this snowman in the actual film?

My brother, who went to the premiere last week, equated him to Jar Jar Binks. In that a scene is developing into something great and he comes in to ruin it with jokes. Hah. Well, we'll see, I guess.

In terms of the whole movie, he said it wasn't as good as Tangled, but far better than Wreck It Ralph. But that puts it in a grand range because he really didn't like Wreck It Ralph.

is your brother posting on this board with an Earthworm Jim avatar

im pretty sure im not related to timetokill. haha

Symphonia

Banned
My brother, who went to the premiere last week, equated him to Jar Jar Binks. In that a scene is developing into something great and he comes in to ruin it with jokes. Hah. Well, we'll see, I guess.
Comparing Olaf to Jar-Jar is not good. My desire to watch this film keeps changing from 'day one' to 'might download' purely because of this damn snowman, haha. I need the opinion of someone who has seen the film for themselves so they can give an honest, straight-to-the-point view.

I'm surprised by all the positive buzz. The marketing has been atrocious so far. And while I'm not the target audience, I'm young-at-heart enough to enjoy whimsical and silly characters. Still, the snowman seemed like a dud to me and I couldn't really gather much else from the trailers during Football. But I'm glad to see this is actually a quality film and would be willing to give it a chance once it's on blu-ray.

Going to a Disney screening Sunday. Don't know a damned thing about it other than it looks chilly. Hope to have my socks knocked off! I liked Tangled and Wreck-it-Ralph, although the latter was overplotted.

Leeness

I used to hate on Olaf...

Then I remembered Ray in The Princess and the Frog. Ray was a much more likable character than 98% of every character that wasn't Charlotte in that film.
Then I read leaked bits of the script.
Then I saw bits and pieces of The Book of Mormon.
Then I saw his musical number.

Then I realized that Olaf is going to be okay.

Pretty much. His musical number was really endearing (and I kind of felt like Anna after the song. "I'm gonna tell him." "No, don't... :(").

Comparing Olaf to Jar-Jar is not good. My desire to watch this film keeps changing from 'day one' to 'might download' purely because of this damn snowman, haha. I need the opinion of someone who has seen the film for themselves so they can give an honest, straight-to-the-point view.

I'm on my phone so I don't know where the links are, but a bunch of the video reviews in the last thread (grown men reviewing) said Olaf was "the best fucking thing". Lol.

That's remarkable. Do you have a link detailing the film's production history?

I think it happens a lot with Disney. Beauty and the Beast was the same (talked about like...around Sleeping Beauty times, shelved, talked about again, shelved.)

But I know Snow Queen was talked about in Walt's time, talked about after Beauty and the Beast, talked about after Princess and the Frog (as a hand drawn film and more akin to the original fairy tale), and then brought back as what it is now.

Tangled was also back and forth a lot, different styles, different stories (Rapunzel Untangled, no thx).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think it happens a lot with Disney. Beauty and the Beast was the same (talked about like...around Sleeping Beauty times, shelved, talked about again, shelved.)

But I know Snow Queen was talked about in Walt's time, talked about after Beauty and the Beast, talked about after Princess and the Frog (as a hand drawn film and more akin to the original fairy tale), and then brought back as what it is now.

Tangled was also back and forth a lot, different styles, different stories (Rapunzel Untangled, no thx).

That's really amazing. Are there any other movies that Disney has been trying to get off the ground for the last half century?

Arcayne

I had no idea this movie existed until now...I've been really out of the Disney/Pixar loop after Cars and Brave, but I did like Tangled. Looking forward to it, great thread OP!

I had forgotten how terrible Tangled's previews were...so I re-watched them...yikes, I feel dirty now.

The previews for this are also pretty bad, though to my senses, not quite as bad.

Still excited however, you can't turn me off with your trailers aimed at lobotomized 8 year olds Disney!

I had forgotten how terrible Tangled's previews were...so I re-watched them...yikes, I feel dirty now.

The previews for this are also pretty bad, though to my senses, not quite as bad.

Still excited however, you can't turn me off with your trailers aimed at lobotomized 8 year olds Disney!

Tangled's previews made it look a LOT better than the movie actually was. It's easily the worst Disney animated movie I've seen in theaters. It's not a terrible movie, but it was incredibly disappointing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tangled's previews made it look a LOT better than the movie actually was. It's easily the worst Disney animated movie I've seen in theaters. It's not a terrible movie, but it was incredibly disappointing.

How many times have you seen it? When I saw it in theaters I was very underwhelmed, but several months later I caught it on TV and it ended up really clicking with me.

R.I.P

Oh cool, it's coming out during the Christmas break here in Finland. Think I'll go see it with my two nieces. We watched Tangled a few weeks back and they both really loved it, plus I don't think either of them has seen a Disney movie on the big screen so it would be a nice experience for them :)

How many times have you seen it? When I saw it in theaters I was very underwhelmed, but several months later I caught it on TV and it ended up really clicking with me.

I admit I've only seen it once, but I absolutely hated the male lead, his horse, and the tavern scene. I liked the songs, the princess, and the villain, but they were totally overshadowed by how annoying the old Dreamworks-style comedy was.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about all the stupid frying pan bits. Ugh.

Top Bottom