• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Symphonia

Banned
Oh yeah, I forgot about all the stupid frying pan bits. Ugh.
tumblr_ljmacabYn41qg3cha.gif

Tangled was fun and really pretty but that's all that I found that interesting.
Found all the hype around it really bizarre.

I'll gladly see this though as with most Disney flicks.

Leeness

That's really amazing. Are there any other movies that Disney has been trying to get off the ground for the last half century?

Not sure. But I think if you look back at a lot of Disney films, they were dreamed about a lot earlier than they came out. After Snow White, Walt dreamed a lot.

Looking at things on the wiki page, Beauty was attempted in the 30s, 50s, and then late 80s as a non-musical (and they talked to Richard Williams about directing it after Roger Rabbit). Then after Little Mermaid, they decided to make it a musical. It's also apparently the first animated film to use a script/screenwriter.

Wiki is a wealth of info. Little Mermaid was one of Walt's earlier ideas too and was started in the 30s and then put on hold. They were going to then do it in the early 80s but wasn't approved because Splash had just come out. :D

I also love the story of Snow White (everyone thought Walt was INSANE to make a full length animated feature) and the story behind Mickey (who wouldn't have existed if MGM hadn't swindled Oswald from Walt).

Solo

<3 Tangled. Up there with Lion King and The Incredibles as my animated favs. And that Blu-ray transfer!

qindarka

Banned
I'm curious to know if Pixar's downward spiral is related to Disney's resurgence. Are other Disney animation studious taking Pixar employees?

No, there are some former Pixar employees working for WDAS currently but this seems to be common in the industry, many former Disney employees are in Dreamworks for instance.

The directors of the last bunch of movies, Byron Howard, Chris Williams, Ron Clements, John Musker. Don Hall, Rich Moore, Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee have never worked at Pixar, or if they did, must have been for a short spell with no major accomplishments.

Lasseter and Catmull are in charge of WDAS, though they are still in charge of Pixar as well.

Also, there is this amazing user review:

2/10

Disney, when are you ever going to join the 21st century? Its animation studio just stays living in the past. The new Disney film Frozen could have easily been made in the 1940's. It is based on a classic fairy tale known as The Snow Queen. But you would think that in 2013 they might try to make it appeal to people today. Well you'd be wrong.

If you've seen the trailer for this movie, they market it as a movie more in the vein of Ice Age. There's a funny-looking snowman walking on ice and struggling to stay on his feet; he later winds up sneezing so hard that he blows his head off. All you see is the snowman and a likable moose. Instead, Frozen is actually a ridiculously old-fashioned movie about princesses. This movie is more like The Sound of Music than anything from this century. The songs all sound old and dated, just like everything else in the movie. The only good thing in the movie is that snowman, and they don't even bring him in until halfway through the film.

I understand that this is a movie aimed at kids, but most knowledgeable film studios nowadays at least try to entertain the adults watching as well. I was bored out of my mind. Then after briefly falling asleep, I woke up to see (cut for spoilers). Sure, that's what little kids want to see. Sorry if I ruined that for you but hopefully it will keep you away from the film then. Of course there will be children who enjoy the film simply because it's an animated fairy tale, and little kids don't expect much anyway. But something tells me that people in their 80's will enjoy this old-fashioned crap just as much. It opens on November 27 but try to enjoy your Thanksgiving by not seeing it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2294629/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

And I know nobody cares but I've just done some analysis on RT scores to support my hypothesis of early reviews being more positive. Results have been rather disappointing, which bodes well for this film, I guess. Seems to apply only for movies around the 60%-80% range.

overcast

<3 Tangled. Up there with Lion King and The Incredibles as my animated favs. And that Blu-ray transfer!
Unbelievably great looking movie. Like most Disney blu's the transfer is great. The boat/lantern scene is just gorgeous in every way.
I'm curious to know if Pixar's downward spiral is related to Disney's resurgence. Are other Disney animation studious taking Pixar employees?
I think the spiral is overstated. Pixar had a near perfect run, and they've had 2 straight movies that weren't met with "10/10 MOTY" reactions. MU was actually pretty damn good. Piling on.

Tricky I Shadow

You said it was not a special op?

ITS FANTASTIC ! :D dec 11th can't come soon enough.
Tangled fans rejoices

Heh....well that was before I decided to just go all out. The movie deserves a great OT.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it. I know how much you love Tangled!

So for those who have seen it. How well written is this snowman in the actual film?

Very well written for a comedic Disney side kick. Endearing with a good back-story too.

And people are also saying his comedic timing and delivery of lines are very well done.

I'm on my phone so I don't know where the links are, but a bunch of the video reviews in the last thread (grown men reviewing) said Olaf was "the best fucking thing". Lol.

You mean this one: video review &#8211; &#8220;The best f***ing character in this movie is Olaf!&#8221; Literally every review that has mentioned Olaf said they were pleasantly surprised....

Tangled's previews made it look a LOT better than the movie actually was. It's easily the worst Disney animated movie I've seen in theaters. It's not a terrible movie, but it was incredibly disappointing.

Wait what? Are you going to tell me this trailer makes the movie look better than it actually is? I can barely even get through that trailer. I......don't......compute.....ERRORRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! **explodes**

First negative review:

The downside of trying to rekindle that unique magic is that Frozen feels a little like a Las Vegas tribute show: it hits all the recognizable beats without quite capturing the soul of what it&#8217;s paying tribute to.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/11/frozen.html

To be expected. The overall tone isn't even that negative. When all is said and done I can see this averaging a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Anyway.....I'll go ahead and update the Rotten Tomatoes pic that I put in the OP to show that the movie now has an overall rating of 94%.

Leeness

Loooooooool I love that review.

And I know nobody cares but I've just done some analysis on RT scores to support my hypothesis of early reviews being more positive. Results have been rather disappointing, which bodes well for this film, I guess. Seems to apply only for movies around the 60%-80% range.

Ho ho ho~

:) :) :)

Tangled has 90% on RT. Frozen will end around there, give or take a few.

qindarka

Banned
May god have mercy on us all.

Counting all of the reprises, it has
9 including a couple of songs with chanting vocals.

The track list is in the OT, I don't think there is a need to spoiler tag it.

Yes, 9 songs, but in addition to that, some Saami folk chants, one of which opens the film. A few of the songs are rather short, though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
After Snow White, Walt dreamed a lot.

He sure did ;___; RIP

Looking at things on the wiki page, Beauty was attempted in the 30s, 50s, and then late 80s as a non-musical (and they talked to Richard Williams about directing it after Roger Rabbit). Then after Little Mermaid, they decided to make it a musical. It's also apparently the first animated film to use a script/screenwriter.

Wiki is a wealth of info. Little Mermaid was one of Walt's earlier ideas too and was started in the 30s and then put on hold. They were going to then do it in the early 80s but wasn't approved because Splash had just come out. :D

I also love the story of Snow White (everyone thought Walt was INSANE to make a full length animated feature) and the story behind Mickey (who wouldn't have existed if MGM hadn't swindled Oswald from Walt).

Thanks for the info - this is all so fascinating to me.

qJkDH67.gif

Maximus <3

My wife is the biggest Disney fan I know and has owned horses her whole life, but she hated the movie and especially the horse because it made no sense for it to act like a dog instead of a horse. I'll probably give this movie a shot eventually when it comes out on video, though.

qindarka

Banned
My wife is the biggest Disney fan I know and has owned horses her whole life, but she hated the movie and especially the horse because it made no sense for it to act like a dog instead of a horse. I'll probably give this movie a shot eventually when it comes out on video, though.

Is it really that much of a big deal? Movies don't have to be accurate to real life.

Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney classic, so these reviews have me hyped. There is no way this is as good as they say, but the family and I will be going Thanksgiving. Can't wait.

Leeness

I'm interested in cinema/television history in general but I don't really know much about the history of animation. Can you recommend any books on the subject?

Of Mice and Magic by Leonard Maltin.

Only downside is that it was written in the 80s and never updated. But everything before that is ace.

Prax

Cautiously optimistic.

I really liked Tangled so I have.. confused hopes.
That Olaf snowman though. .... At least the animal sidekicks in Tangled don't speak. It's usually the talking that kills it for me.

UrbanRats

English as second language?

Yes.
I gotta learn it as i go along, man.

Cautiously optimistic.

I really liked Tangled so I have.. confused hopes.
That Olaf snowman though. .... At least the animal sidekicks in Tangled don't speak. It's usually the talking that kills it for me.
That's very true of most "cute" sidekicks.
Have them be mute is the easiest way to avoid annoyance.

Leeness

Lmao, apparently the marketing worked on my mom. She asked me "did you know there's a new Disney movie coming out?

Mom...yes. You know who you're talking to, right?

"That snowman looks funny, with his carrot nose. I miss watching Disney movies with you when you were little".

Lol. Aww. So now I've convinced her that over Christmas when all of our family is around, we will watch Tangled, and someday we'll see Frozen.

Top Bottom