• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney actually gave a Jackie Chan movie a $110 million budget?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troidal

So what's the deal with Jackie Chan starring in this one?

Is it just a remake of the old classic, or will he be adding his own flavor doing kung fu stunts as he goes through different cities? :-D

belgurdo

Banned
At first I thought it was just the result of having shoestring budgets for his films, but now I'm convinced Jackie Chan can't act. Then again, I only watch him for his fighting anyway...

belgurdo said:
At first I thought it was just the result of having shoestring budgets for his films, but now I'm convinced Jackie Chan can't act. Then again, I only watch him for his fighting anyway...
Welcome to the rest of the world. :p I love the guy, but he's really a stunt man/coordinator good enough to be his own "acting double".

Dekajelly

MrPing1000 said:
its a STEVE COOGAN movie

_36594273_party4_150.jpg

"Ah-Ha!"

Bob White

Jacky's fighting from the commercial looks pretty cool. But I just KNOW if I go see it for the fighting I'll be letdown.

The commercial shows fighting but it'll probably be like one fucking scene thats cut up with some other action sequence.

Matlock

Banned
Jackie Chan, Jim Broadbent, Kathy Bates, Arnold Schwarzenegger, John Cleese, Owen Wilson , Luke Wilson, Rob Schneider, Mark Addy, Sammo Hung...

Now we know where some of the budget went. :p

Wario64 said:
I heard Jackie Chan isn't in the movie that long, or something...

Yep, he's not even the star of it, they're just billing him as it to sell the movie.

And as scary as it is for this movie to cost 100million. It's even scarier to think that Steven Seagal is the rumored villain of Rush Hour 3.

Cherubae

I don't know if it's just me, but the latest batch of Jackie Chan movies are kinda... sad. Perhaps I shouldn't compare them to Drunken Master, but The Medallion wasn't as entertaining.

effzee

i dont mind jackie's movies cause of his talent but i am getting tired of his comedic routine....he needs to do more serious roles and fighting.

effzee said:
i dont mind jackie's movies cause of his talent but i am getting tired of his comedic routine....he needs to do more serious roles and fighting.
wrong.gif

There are plenty of other people to fill that void. I don't watch them. The light-hearted moments, even in the middle of deadly fights, are what make Jackie Jackie.

effzee

JoshuaJSlone said:
wrong.gif

There are plenty of other people to fill that void. I don't watch them. The light-hearted moments, even in the middle of deadly fights, are what make Jackie Jackie.

plenty of people? where? not in mainstream america there arent. jackie made like no other....jet li even isnt that popular. jackie could break the mold and try to make some diff types of movies.

Mike

Yeah, I have to agree that this movie is gonna tank. There's just too much competition out there for a mediocre-looking film like this to do well.

Troidal said:
So what's the deal with Jackie Chan starring in this one?

Is it just a remake of the old classic, or will he be adding his own flavor doing kung fu stunts as he goes through different cities? :-D

ANytime you have a Jackie Chan you take the original story, place a few off color jokes and include over the top kung fu fights.

effzee said:
plenty of people? where? not in mainstream america there arent. jackie made like no other....jet li even isnt that popular. jackie could break the mold and try to make some diff types of movies.
But it's exactly that differentness that is the reason he's popular, and separates him from the Jet Lis and "serious" fighting have-beens like Van Damme or Seagal. They don't fight with bath towels or in wind tunnels. I wouldn't be particularly interested in a serious Jackie Chan fighting flick any more than I would be in a straight-laced Al Yankovic album or an M-rated title from EAD.

karasu

Some of Jackies best fighting has been non comedic. The Police Story series for example, it was cold and violent, and it completely changed the direction of Martial arts movies when it was released. He can do it all, he isn't a one trick pony. He constanty expresses his desire to go back to more serious work, and take his fighting back to the way he used to do it in the old days, with traditional stylings and such.

I'm interested to see how his sons work will turn out.

01.jpg

04.jpg

02.jpg

Jackie vs Donnie part II

18.jpg

"Imortality! It Yours! Take It!"

07.jpg

Jackie Jr

16.jpg

karasu

Well that's Twin Effects 2. Jackie only has a cameo, a rematch against Donnie Yen. Plus he's there to support his son. Chan is currently in Hong Kong working with Stanley Tong on an untitled movie.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Was Twin Effects a good movie? I have the movie but never bothered to watch it. Is Jackie's cameo short in the movie? I'd watch it if he does a fight sequence

cvxfreak

I watch Jet Li for the serious stuff and Jackie Chan for the not-as-serious stuff.

These two need to be in the same movie sometime just to see how things would turn out.

CVXFREAK said:
I watch Jet Li for the serious stuff and Jackie Chan for the not-as-serious stuff.

These two need to be in the same movie sometime just to see how things would turn out.

Have him as the villain in RH3. He's not against playingt he villain so he could do it. A full on, no wirefu fight between Jackie and Jet would be awesome.

Shinobi

effzee said:

I agree...I'd like to see him do at least a couple more serious movies before he retires. And as mentioned, something with Jet Li would be gold (Jet was an awesome villan in LW4).

I dont like how most Jet Li movies use Wires so much.

Jackie rules ppl need to see his 80's and early 90's hong kong movies.

Eh, Jackie's finally getting paid, I don't care what roles he takes now, as long as the man gets paid for the years of physical strain and death defying stunts. And there's a New Police Story (Police Story 5) coming out, and the trailer made it look much darker than the previous flicks...

karasu

Jet Li is boring. I hope they never make a movie together. It'd just be some novelty shit.

Jackie Chan isn't making anymore money than he's always made. He always says he's been making this kind of money for along time.

Flynn

acklame said:
BOMB BOMB

this one will flop badly

A friend of mine has a theory that the American Public hates fantastical and whimsical movie settings. Especially ones that aren't based on genre gold like LOTR or Star Wars.

karasu said:
Jackie Chan isn't making anymore money than he's always made. He always says he's been making this kind of money for along time.

No, he's making way more money as an actor and doing less work that he did as actor/exec producer/director/distributor/partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom