• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

gamingeek

Amneisac said:
Yeah, cool, it's just going to cost me $4.98 in shipping (deducted from my refund) because I'm an idiot. I can handle that.

It's a good game, you should try it. If I were you I would play the hell out of it for a few days and then if you don't like it, sell it on ebay ASAP for maximum resell value.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Castor Krieg said:
Watched QL for this game, really intrigued. Are there any RPG elements, or is it straight-up platforming?
if there were RPG stuff I would probably bite, but it doesn't seem like it

Given the lower reviews than I expected and now the user reviews being less than stellar. . .I'll probably rather enjoy this.

Hype before reviews - 9.5
Hype after reviews - 8.0

I'll probably end up somewhere in between.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
looks like Warren Spector is going to be on All Things Considered today, real terrestrial radio! not even a podcast.

ksamedi

Played 3 hours or so and I don't like it that much. The platforming is pretty bad and the paint mechanic is not well implemented. Usually its just a choice between using the thinner or using paint. Both lead to the same thing and have no real consequence to them. The art style is pretty boring as well. There are better ways to portray dark worlds than this.

I have no urge to continue. I think I will give it another chance tomorrow before returning it. Maybe the later levels change my mind about this game but this is nowhere near an 8 game.

gamingeek

ksamedi said:
Played 3 hours or so and I don't like it that much. The platforming is pretty bad and the paint mechanic is not well implemented. Usually its just a choice between using the thinner or using paint. Both lead to the same thing and have no real consequence to them. The art style is pretty boring as well. There are better ways to portray dark worlds than this.

I have no urge to continue. I think I will give it another chance tomorrow before returning it. Maybe the later levels change my mind about this game but this is nowhere near an 8 game.

How far in are you?

m.i.s.

Banned
Lonely1 said:
How big is Disney Nowadays in the UK with the Kids?

Unless you subscribe to Cartoon Network on Rupert Murdoch's Sky Satellite Network, exposure is next to zero.

Older generation who were around before the arrival of satellite and paid-for-TV probably remember the cartoons being run on BBC and ITV. So the kids will know virtually nothing about Mickey - maybe the occasional exposure in places like Disneyland Paris.

Picked up a Wii on black friday and I can't decide on this game, I loved the Disney stuff in kingdom hearts and both me and my wife LOVE everything to do with Disney.. The GB QL looked pretty dang fun.

CiSTM

Banned
M.I.S. said:
Unless you subscribe to Cartoon Network on Rupert Murdoch's Sky Satellite Network, exposure is next to zero.

Older generation who were around before the arrival of satellite and paid-for-TV probably remember the cartoons being run on BBC and ITV. So the kids will know virtually nothing about Mickey - maybe the occasional exposure in places like Disneyland Paris.

On the other hand Donald and friends are still popular. For example some German weekly issues have well over 200k sales in Scandinavia numbers are even bigger and in Italy sales should be big too since many of the current authors are from there. I don't think Mickey has ever been such a big deal in Europe. Perhaps back when fantasia and other animated movies starring mickey he was big but other than that he is nobody. Don't even know any other disney franchises so don't know how big Disney is in Europe outside of Donald and mickey.

Eteric Rice

JetBlackPanda said:
Picked up a Wii on black friday and I can't decide on this game, I loved the Disney stuff in kingdom hearts and both me and my wife LOVE everything to do with Disney.. The GB QL looked pretty dang fun.

Same, I have the collector's edition pre-ordered and now I'm not sure. :|

Goddam it!

.la1n

I kept my expectations fairly low for this game despite my love for Disney, I was wise to do so becuase this is not a game I call fun. Just remake Castle / World of Illusion and all is forgiven.

.la1n said:
I kept my expectations fairly low for this game despite my love for Disney, I was wise to do so becuase this is not a game I call fun. Just remake Castle / World of Illusion and all is forgiven.

ouch? not fun?????!?!?

gogojira

Eteric Rice said:
Same, I have the collector's edition pre-ordered and now I'm not sure. :|

Goddam it!

I'm in a similar position. Sucks. My wife is a Disney fanatic though and the Mickey figure got her on board fast. It's a bummer hearing all the less than positive impressions.

gogojira said:
I'm in a similar position. Sucks. My wife is a Disney fanatic though and the Mickey figure got her on board fast. It's a bummer hearing all the less than positive impressions.

I like Disney on a very casual level but I'm enjoying this so far. Nice atmosphere, lovely presentation. Mechanically imperfect, but nothing game breaking unless you're especially unforgiving. A rough gem, but a gem all the same, in my opinion. One thing to keep in mind is that it's not really a platformer, since that aspect is so rudimentary (Junction Point said similarly a while back). Much more a platform adventure, maybe Rare-esque, warts and all.

Karram

I really feel bad for Disney. Epic Mickey was supposed to be their big game but I doesn't look it met their expectations looking at the reviews. I will probably still play the game.

.la1n

JetBlackPanda said:
ouch? not fun?????!?!?

I'm not having fun with it. It feels more like a chore than a natural jump in and have a blast type game (Sly, Jak 1, Ratchet, Mario) if that's what they were going for. I think the game will be a hate it or love it type experience for most. I would rent and give it a shot for yourself.

markatisu

gogojira said:

If she is a Disney fanatic she will love the game, the camera can be a pain at times but you really do learn how to work around it.

I think after tomorrow more people should play the game and spend less time reading reviews about it

[Nintex]

I'm having a love - hate relationship with this game.

For the first time today I was seriously pissed:
In Tortooga, I had to collect 3 gems, 3 emblems and destroy 9 enemies but the hit detection on the pirate enemy feels off somehow and he kills you in three hits. So I die and have to collect/talk/do shit all over again. They forgot to add save points to the place that needs them the most :(

SpokkX

4-5 hours in..

.. and I kind like it.. it is original, has nice graphics and somewhat ok control (for a third party game, can´t be compared to Mario but way better than Kingdom hearts)

but it is not really grabbing me, I can easily put it down... I expected a disney game to be more "playful" and frankly "fun". It is more interesting to explore and progress than to actually play with the world. It REALLY feels like a Rare game from the n64 days - a Nintendo clone, that lacks that "magic" and "Nintendo-fun" but is still a good game

Overall it would probably have been a bit better if they looked a bit more at Nintendo..

Btw the 2d levels feel out of place and are really simplistic... would rather see them gone or just as extra unlockables. They are really boring

p01ar

GameTrailers
SpokkX said:
Btw the 2d levels feel out of place and are really simplistic... would rather see them gone or just as extra unlockables. They are really boring

I loved those levels, they were pure nostalgia/fan service.

loosus

Banned
My girlfriend is bugging for this game like mad. She loves Disney games, and when she heard it might be like Mario, she just had to have it.

So, I put the Collector's Edition in my basket at Amazon and almost bought it. I just decided not to buy for now because -- frankly -- I just don't have the fucking money right now.

But now, reading more about it and seeing how the game plays, I think it might be for the best, anyway. The game sounds pretty underwhelming, at best. I guess that's usually the case for games that have documentaries about them and their developers while they are in production.

apana

loosus said:
My girlfriend is bugging for this game like mad. She loves Disney games, and when she heard it might be like Mario, she just had to have it.

So, I put the Collector's Edition in my basket at Amazon and almost bought it. I just decided not to buy for now because -- frankly -- I just don't have the fucking money right now.

But now, reading more about it and seeing how the game plays, I think it might be for the best, anyway. The game sounds pretty underwhelming, at best. I guess that's usually the case for games that have documentaries about them and their developers while they are in production.

low blow dude :lol

Blizzard

Banned
xir said:
looks like Warren Spector is going to be on All Things Considered today, real terrestrial radio! not even a podcast.
Yeah, I heard that mentioned this morning while I was driving to work. I don't know if it will help publicity much, but who knows.

I might be hesitant to get the game since I'm not in love with Disney classics and people are saying the game isn't fun etc., but I already have a Toys R Us coupon I need to use, and if I get Epic Mickey for like $40 then I should be able to get Mario Galaxy 2 for $25, right? Seems reasonable to me as far as Wii games go.

The only Wii games I regret missing are Metroid Trilogy (hard to find now) and maaaaybe Twilight Princess.

In another thread in a spanish forum is totally the opposite. People are loving the game, and think is really fun becuase they wanted something like the old rare n64 platformers.

markatisu

loosus said:

If she loves Disney games then you are really screwing her

Yama

Finished up the game, had a great time. Wrote a quick review to sum up my thoughts, no spoilers outside of the intro.

21opuu9.png

Disney's Epic Mickey is one of those titles that has been anticipated for so long, it inevitably can't surpass it's own expectations. However through eyes willing to accept it for what it is, there is a fairly long and unique journey ahead.

First off, the game's appeal. Classic Mickey Mouse (1920's+) and a modern, dark atmosphere. The direction is as unique as it sounds and is a mesh of wonderful ideas. Epic Mickey is one of those cases where the conceptual artwork alone gathers immense amounts of interest. Mixing such wonderful visuals with both interesting gameplay and a consistent atmosphere is what brings a title like this to life. Epic Mickey is spot on in most areas, yet misses the boat in others.

We'll start with the story. Mickey Mouse finds himself in Yen Sid's workshop, a sorcerer who is creating a pen-and-paper world for 'things that have been forgotten.' When the sorcerer leaves his table, Mickey sneaks to take a look. He hears a noise and accidentally spills paint over the carefully crafted world and tries to resolve his problem by covering it up. In doing so he spills a jar of thinner, allowing a shadow blot to pass through who would later torture and destroy the inhabitants. This once lively world soon became a wasteland.

Later Mickey is dragged into the world he destroyed when a blot visits him through his magical mirror. In the wasteland Mickey meets with Oswald, a rabbit whom Mickey Mouse stole his fame from. Oswald was victim to the thinner disaster, along with his love and friends. His hatred for Mickey assisted him in coming up with the idea to capture Mickey's heart. It is up to the player to gain Oswald's trust and put the blot to rest, thus restoring the wasteland to it's former glory.

Players take control of Mickey Mouse, equipped with a brush, paint and thinner. Basic platforming controls and moves are in place, such as a double jump and spin attack. Aiming with the Wiimote, Mickey can paint or thin selected locations or enemies. Thinning an enemy will lay it to rest, while painting it creates a friendship. Based on how the player eliminates bigger enemies, the tube for either the paint or thinner will fill. Enemies can only be neutralized with paint, as spin attacking or jumping on their heads will only daze them. The only other option is knocking them off of an area, which is the most timely solution. Painting an area restores it, thus putting the town back together. It is good practice however to thin first, as there are a ton of sections both in walls and even underground. Once this practice becomes second nature, there is a lot of exploring to do. There are multiple paths and many hidden treasures in the form of collectible pins, artwork, movies, secret quest items and even power ups.

The gameplay at it's core is basic and even a hair outdated as far as platformer mechanics go, though the paint and thin options make for some interesting alternatives in battle and exploration. The camera however is not so interesting, considering there is no lock on button and it struggles to keep up. While annoying, it never prevented me from clearing an area or conquering a battle, so I'd mark it as more of an annoyance than game breaking.

Epic Mickey is unique in that it meshes many genres together. Overall it feels like a platforming adventure title with RPG elements thrown into the mix. It offers unique pacing and a ton of creative areas to explore. How players explore these areas is entirely up to their use of paint and thinner, which offers a unique outlook on something that is otherwise traditional. The game does suffer from an overly used "chore system" in which you are constantly doing minuscule tasks. Sometimes these become repetitive and override the focal point of exploring, thus making forward progression continue at a snails pace. Fixing and cleaning up a world that Mickey has ruined does make perfect sense, though the pacing could have been spread out better. Rarely the game can start to feel repetitive and even generic, but in continuing something much bigger and better always comes out prevalent. In the end the interesting aspects of the gameplay and design outshine the blemishes, though you wish such things didn't exist in an otherwise enjoyable package.

The world is average in size and filled with iconic areas, theme parks, movie references and designs. Though there are occasional uninspiring blot-filled areas, the sweeter of the bunch offer both motivation and satisfaction for continuing forward. Areas like Mickey Junk Mountain make the journey worth it. Picture climbing a mountain filled with forgotten Mickey Mouse memorabilia, such as classic lunch boxes, toys and appliances. There are also towns. Though not huge in size, they offer communities, shops and other areas to explore. There are four in total, all unique in their own way. Mean Street is a dark town with basic amenities. OsTown is a colorful neighborhood in which many of the games heroes live. Ventureland has a tropical vibe and a community made up of Pirates. Lastly Bog Easy stands before a haunted manor, inhabited by both frightened villagers and ghosts who love to prey on their fear. All of the towns have a good amount of NPC's, all ready to hand Mickey side quests in the fashion of a traditional RPG. E-Tickets, the games currency, can be spent in shops located across these areas.

To travel in-between towns and other areas, Mickey uses old film reels. These are some of the more interesting sections of the game, though are extremely short. The reels are made up of 2D side scrolling gameplay without paint or thinner mechanics. Each stage has an optional collectible film to obtain, along with a start and end point. The themes are from classic films such as Steam Boat Willy, Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia. Sadly these sections can not be accessed post game or at any other time, so players will need to play through the game in it's entirety to enjoy them again. Popular warp points, such as towns, reuse a single film every visit. Yet some of the more interesting films are only viewable once, such as the reels towards the end of the game. Overall they offer a nice change of pace and a break from the depressing, destroyed world of the wasteland.

The games visuals are solid and further backed up by a beautiful art direction. The cut scenes are presented in a movie-like manner and are re-watchable at any time via the extras menu. A mixture between classic Disney style and a new, dark art direction lead to some beautiful viewing material. The game isn't exactly consistent in delivering this style through out, though does a wonderful job most of the time. Remixed music and sound effects aid the movie reel stages faithfully, though the rest of the areas have a somewhat generic score.

Overall, Epic Mickey delivers where it counts and falls short only in areas that can easily be overlooked. Though the original conceptual design may have shown something bigger, the world came together with as much creativity and care one could anticipate. The mesh of classic Disney and a dark and dirty atmosphere makes for some of the most interesting set pieces in gaming history.

Played through the demo at Best Buy today, and... I liked it.

Mechanically, it felt a little unpolished, but what wouldn't after coming from Galaxy 2. Same thing for the level design.

But the paint/thinner is pretty intriguing, as is the supposed level of choice, although its hard to gauge how much these aspects really factor into it from the demo.

If it does some creative things with moral choice and drawing/erasing, I'll love it. If not, eeehhhh, it's better than Flip's Twisted World.

M.I.S. said:
So the kids will know virtually nothing about Mickey - maybe the occasional exposure in places like Disneyland Paris.

Not knowing about Disney, Mickey, Goofy, etc. should be a crime against humanity.

one_kill

Need help guys...

Remember the quest given to you by the detective to find Moody's missing cousin? Where is he? I've been to the place he was meant to be twice now. I've decided to hold off going to Skull Island just in case I've missed him.

gamingeek

[Nintex] said:
I'm having a love - hate relationship with this game.

For the first time today I was seriously pissed:
In Tortooga, I had to collect 3 gems, 3 emblems and destroy 9 enemies but the hit detection on the pirate enemy feels off somehow and he kills you in three hits. So I die and have to collect/talk/do shit all over again. They forgot to add save points to the place that needs them the most :(

You have to skirt around him and sneak up on him from behind walking on tip toes. So approach from the tree branch side, not the bridge side. It takes 2, maybe 3 spin attacks to kill him so hit him then run and then wait till he turns around again.

JohngPR

d8x.jpg

Yay!

I'll post impressions later. Going to grab some lunch and walk my dogs before I play. Platformers are one of if not my favorite genre, so I'm hoping I enjoy it!

Luigi87

JohngPR said:
Epic Mickey Pic
Yay!

I'll post impressions later. Going to grab some lunch and walk my dogs before I play. Platformers are one of if not my favorite genre, so I'm hoping I enjoy it!

So glorious looking...
I must wait... 25 more days for my own...

Top Bottom