• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Spike said:
What?!?! Which one???
Agincourt Mall (Kennedy and Sheppard in Scarborough). I didn't pick it up because I pre-ordered from Best Buy during the 10% off sale plus 800 RZ points.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Oops. Missed the EU release date entirely.

Just going to nip out in the snow and grab it.

Well, I know I did promise it as a Christmas present - but the kids are out today ... so ...

MYE

Nose Master said:
Eat Children is pretty spot on, but I'd go further. This game is the pinnacle of lazy, licensed garbage. The platforming feels like it fell out of first-gen PS1 title. The cut-scenes look like a parody of cheap, outsourced animation. The environments are hideous. Just because it's a dark motif isn't an excuse to have the game look so boring.

Woooo, hyperbole!!!

ibu

Nose Master said:
Eat Children is pretty spot on, but I'd go further. This game is the pinnacle of lazy, licensed garbage. The platforming feels like it fell out of first-gen PS1 title. The cut-scenes look like a parody of cheap, outsourced animation. The environments are hideous. Just because it's a dark motif isn't an excuse to have the game look so boring.
Mickeyjunk mountain, which everyone will reply with, is a prime example of wasted potential. There's only 10ish actual pieces of memorabilia littered about, the rest of the area is mounds of dirt and generic boxes.

The only redeeming factor is the paint/thinner gimmick, which is ruined by the engine of the game being sloppy as hell.

Oh, and "combat" is a chore.
The cut scenes are pretty damn good actually, they are based on the actual famous Disney storyboard artist, Mary Blair. Same art style right down to the rich vibrant colouring. So to criticise that is essentially criticising all the Disney animations from 30's-60's.

You make some interesting points but mist remember to make these cohesively, without pandering to hyperbole.

Appreciate the game for what it is a historical eulogy to Disney heritage with a macabre twist and the over riding theme, all our wrongs can be put right.

It is a shame the controls are slightly off and the camera has a mind of it's own at moments, these occurrings can cause frustration in heaps. But these do not ultimately sully what is a solid game with moments of brilliance and fond memories.

Nose Master said:
Mickeyjunk mountain, which everyone will reply with, is a prime example of wasted potential. There's only 10ish actual pieces of memorabilia littered about, the rest of the area is mounds of dirt and generic boxes.

The only redeeming factor is the paint/thinner gimmick, which is ruined by the engine of the game being sloppy as hell.

Oh, and "combat" is a chore.

You are entitled to your opinion, and some of the things to said have sense, but the bolded part is idiotic.

Congratulations for calling the Mary Blair style cheap, becuase it is not (and neither is the animation in it, but as you dont now even who is Mary Blair you probably dont know a shit of animation). Are you the type of guy that calls childish or idiotic the design of the facade and ride It's a Small World?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the issue is the quality of the animations so much as it's their inconsistancy with the rest of the visuals. Mashing together different styles like that just ain't the fashionable thing to do nowadays.

m.i.s.

Banned
Ben2749 said:
I got the game today, and despite wanting so very much to like it, I'm just not feeling it. I've just got to the Asia Boat Ride.

I wouldn't call it a bad game, but so far it just seems unremarkable in every way. The only thing that appeals to me is the Disney fanservice, but that alone isn't enough to hold my interest throughout the entire game when I find the gameplay to be average. There are also definite camera issues, which is often quite irritating.

Also, I've noticed that so far there's next to no real structure to the game. I've just been following Oswald for a couple of hours or so, with no indication of whether this is a prologue, first level, or if the whole game is set up like this (linear, and not divided into stages/chapters/levels/etc). I don't have any clear objective besides following Oswald, and outside of the opening cutscene, there's been zero story.

Does the game pick up at all?

^^Almost exactly my experience too.

And tbh, would've just preferred a VC re-release of Castle of Illusion and Magical Quest.

MYE

M.I.S. said:
And tbh, would've just preferred a VC re-release of Castle of Illusion and Magical Quest.

We're asking for re-releases of old games on VC over new ones in this thread now?

:lol

GhaleonQ said:
Uh, I'm a huge animation elitist, and I'm not sure what you mean. Could you expand on this?

Its very possible he thinks it doesnt have too much movement, im sure he thinks that its too static and that characters dont have too much animation, when that is totally wrong, he can also think its too flat.

People that like animation will notice it looks like an animated storyboard and that the style is lke that because it tries to emulate Mary Blair's drawings.

Lard

Banned
Rez said:
I feel like, as a reviewer, you number one priority is communicating something to an audience. If you're using your sites scale, don't get me wrong, I think its admirable, but who are you helping?

This makes no sense at all. What is he supposed to do, *not* use the scale of the site he works for and make up his own? The site dictates the scale used, not him.

nemesun said:
The 5 star scale should be the de facto for now. Every site should implement it now that 10 point system is unsalvageable.

The five star system is completely and utterly meaningless.

MYE

Rez said:
Everything about the big world they were trying to create, this includes the 2D levels and paint/thinner mechanic, could have been enhanced with superior hardware. It doesn't seem like this design was built around the Wii's limitations like a Galaxy or a Kirby. It seems like a game that was built in the minds of the designers first and foremost and then scaled back to fit the Wii's limitations, not something designed FOR the Wii's limitations.

Funny that the Gametrailers video review said exactly the opposite.

But hey, i'm almost getting used to the "everything with scope and ambition should be done elsewere" shit people spam Wii boards with.

I'm not quite numb to this shit yet, but i'm getting there.

I'm stuck and I have the feeling it's a bug... very early in the game :(

At the carnival, I fixed the broken flying elephants and the tea cups. I then got access to a room with a chest, which I opened. Afterwards, there was nothing left to do and I wanted to leave with the boat, but the gate is closed. I can't find any other exit or any other task and I'm running around the area for 30 minutes now. Any idea?

one_kill

thegodsend said:
I'm stuck and I have the feeling it's a bug... very early in the game :(

At the carnival, I fixed the broken flying elephants and the tea cups. I then got access to a room with a chest, which I opened. Afterwards, there was nothing left to do and I wanted to leave with the boat, but the gate is closed. I can't find any other exit or any other task and I'm running around the area for 30 minutes now. Any idea?
All I know is that you're meant to hop on the boat which will lead you to the next part.

one_kill said:
All I know is that you're meant to hop on the boat which will lead you to the next part.

It really was a bug. When I restarted "from last checkpoint", everything was done but the boats were going to the next part. wtf.
still, good game :)

Wizpig said:
So i'm not the only one that says the pointer is sluggish, yeah?

I don't think it's in the fancy tails and blurs, try moving the pointer in the dashboard or in Mario Galaxy 2 and then at the Epic Mickey "press A" menu...
It doesn't nearly feel as good.

I hate when this kind of stuff happens because i don't know if i'm the only one with this issue or if it is a game problem!

Pointer performance depends completely on how much "anti-jitter" they've put into the game. Since their solution for a jittery cursor involves a delayed response, the higher they put it, the more lag you get. Games like Trauma Center and most FPS games have it very low or off, so the pointer response is perfect, but your aiming cursor is only as steady as your hand. Other games have it turned up very high, and the pointer lags terribly. But it's rock-steady on-screen even in an amateur's shaky hand. Link's Awful Crossbow Training is a good example of high anti-jitter. The Wii menu itself, and most Nintendo games, have it set in the middle somewhere.

Sounds like they have it turned up pretty high. Yuck.

AniHawk

Best Buy and Toys R Us have some nice deals for this game. Buy Epic Mickey (and/or DKCR at TRU), and get 50% off certain (any in TRU's case) Wii game.

The TRU deal is better, but if you have it preordered at Best Buy, you also get $10 if you have the rewards thing. You wouldn't be able to use it right away, though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MYE said:
Funny that the Gametrailers video review said exactly the opposite.

But hey, i'm almost getting used to the "everything with scope and ambition should be done elsewere" shit people spam Wii boards with.

I'm not quite numb to this shit yet, but i'm getting there.
I don't think it's a very controversial thing to say. If you're making big three dimensional rooms in a 'realistic' style (I don't have the correct word in my vocabulary to articulate what I'm trying to say here, maybe 'traditional rendering style' or something), then, you know, it will look much nicer with better hardware.

Scope and ambition is all well and good on the Wii, just make the right concessions when working in a 3D space. Smaller worlds, a simpler yet no less easy to read art style and, should you be using the pointer, get that thing as close to Nintendo-smooth as possible.

MYE

Rez said:
Scope and ambition is all well and good on the Wii, just make the right concessions when working in a 3D space. Smaller worlds, a simpler yet no less easy to read art style

Sorry but nothing i've seen so far looks half-baked because of technical limitations. Not in its presentation.
And the Wii is hurting its semi-realistic large enviroments? Really?

ControlRoom_thumbnail.jpg
5180310968_19aa08e37f.jpg

Textures are sharp and it has nice geometry, colors and designs. Seems to me like they made the game they set out to do, presentation-wise if nothing else. Reviews also seem to back this up.

I apologize if i sound harsh but this "make it 2D, super simplistic/stylized or dont even bother with this system" way of thinking can fuck off.
Last gen games like Silent Hill 3, RE4, MGS3 and SotC are still praised today by their scope and/or immersive, realistic atmospheres, but the Wii cant pull off fucking Epic Mickey now? :lol

Just arrived to new orleans and the game is incredibly awesome in my opinion.

And Ventureland is so good compared to the E3 demo.
from the entrance of ventureland, going through the Pirates of Caribbean facade, the interior of the ride, Jungle Cruise and Skull Rock, and the captain hook fight in the Jolly Roger at the end. What an incredible world and so long.

The sad thing is, I think that Tomorrowland is the worse used, the rides are used in a very cheap way (the worst offender is Carrousel of Progress, that would have been a magnificent stage, is relegated to a stupid door, and not even a tetric version of There's a Great and Beautiful Tomorrow is used. No mention of Adventure Thru Inner Space, and it could have been a great stage, and I would have like a zone with people to talk, just like the first stage of Ventureland. Totally wasted opportunity there.
Other than that this game is magnificent.

VAIL

MYE said:
Sorry but nothing i've seen so far looks half-baked because of technical limitations. Not in its presentation.

Textures are sharp and it has nice geometry, colors and designs. Seems to me like they made the game they set out to do, presentation-wise if nothing else. Reviews also seem to back this up.

I apologize if i sound harsh but this "make it 2D, super simplistic/stylized or dont even bother with this system" way of thinking can fuck off.
Last gen games like Silent Hill 3, RE4, MGS3 and SotC are still praised today by their scope and/or immersive, realistic atmospheres, but the Wii cant pull off fucking Epic Mickey now? :lol

I think I love you...:lol

Amalthea

Banned
I finished the game today.

My rating:

85%

90% when you are a Disney-Fan.

The game make me actually remember how much I used to love Disney back in the day.

I need some help, please. I'm on the Pirate Voyage mission, and have to find three pumps to get to the next bit. I have found two of the pumps, but the third has eluded me now for around half an hour. I AM GOING MAD. Please help. I've found the one behind the railings, obviously, and the one very close to it on the roof-level, but the other...

Also, out of interest, how far through the game am I?

whatevermort said:
I need some help, please. I'm on the Pirate Voyage mission, and have to find three pumps to get to the next bit. I have found two of the pumps, but the third has eluded me now for around half an hour. I AM GOING MAD. Please help. I've found the one behind the railings, obviously, and the one very close to it on the roof-level, but the other...

Also didnt know where it was :lol
Im sure you have left the first one, as the one in the middle would be the one behind the cage where you have to dissolve the roof, and the other in a porch near the end. The first one is the second level of that stage (i mean above the roofs) near the Fantasia brush trowing you thinner that is in sometype of bridge, well, from were you enter the stage, go up, pass the bridge with the enemy, and when youa rrive to the other part, start erasing all the walls, at the end you will find it.

I think you are in the middle-end part of the game.

Peff

whatevermort said:

It's probably this one. You're getting there, but there's still a while to go, more if you stop to do the fetch quests. I'd say 75% or so.

EDIT: Beaten.

Peff said:
It's probably this one. You're getting there, but there's still a while to go, more if you stop to do the fetch quests. I'd say 75% or so.

EDIT: Beaten.

Or maybe is that one, I though that was too obvious you had to use thinner in the sides of the door. I found that one the first in that stage.
I think the first one is the worst becuase there is no indication which wall is inside.

I'm starting to really like this (like 2 hours in) and controlling the camera (which you absolutely HAVE to do to get anywhere) quickly became second nature. The most important thing to do is be prepared to move the camera down a notch at all times so you can judge your jumps better. Somehow I'm sorta starting to prefer this to the more fixed camera angles in like Super Mario Galaxy. I did flail around like a huge idiot at the beginning of the game, though.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I hope people talk about this on upcoming podcasts. I'm not going to get it myself, but I've been following it throughout development (even went LTTP: Deus Ex) and would like to hear different opinions. I guess I could read reviews, but man I hate gaming sites...everything is flashing and moving everywhere, yeesh.

RobbieNick

apana said:
Just realized that OP was banned, holy shit, mind blown!

Willy105 was banned? Kid wasn't too bright when it came to his opinions, but he made good OP's. He must've said the wrong thing too many times.

Glix

MYE said:

Those have to be Dolphin shots, that looks much sharper than the game I've seen.

Does junction point have a lot of ex-Rares? The level design and textures and Geometry remind me so much of N64 era rare, Banjo in particular....

gamingeek

Ben2749 said:
I got the game today, and despite wanting so very much to like it, I'm just not feeling it. I've just got to the Asia Boat Ride.

Does the game pick up at all?

IMO the game doesn't even start properly till you hit Mean street (the level hub) and beyond.

It gets much better than Asia boat ride.

Been away for most of the weekend, engrossed with Epic Mickey. It officially gets my stamp of approval. It's much bigger than I thought it would be, there are lots of quests some of which are good, others stray too close to fetch questing.

It has some enchanting areas. I'm no hardcore Disney fan, but when the music, visuals and area is juuuuust right, it feels, almost, well magical.

The 2D sections are just little interludes between proper 3D areas. They are throwaway and don't feature any substantial challenge or innovation. But they do have delightful ways of using animation to change the environment, which makes them more than worth investigating.

Cutscenes - the animated ones that is, are brilliantly done. And the game seems to have lots of little secrets tucked away, for instance when I hit Mean Street I thought it was a superficial 2D facade, only to discover that there was a whole new level underneath when you started splashing the thinner about.

There is some BS, like there will be times where you have to find 4 things, and I spent ages looking for them only to find 3 and take the easy way out (paying a character to do it)

Camera is fine, actually, now that I am practiced on it. When it is fixed, it's honestly picking the right angle for the scene, even when you assume it's not and want to see what is unseen. You turn back to see the unseen area the camera wouldn't allow you to see, only to find either a useless drop to your death or a plain wall. Learn to trust the auto-camera and use the c-button centering.

This game is pretty good and is starting to feel "Epic" in a way. Some of the combat is getting more difficult and sometimes frustrating as you can be concentrating on one and several others will bum rush you from behind.

Tomorrow City was hard to see where you were going because of the dark art style, but hell, Tron boss Made it all worthwhile - I will say no more.

Oh yeah on the SDTV to HDTV comparison, SD wins hands down, it's a rounded, soft and jaggie free game, all of which is semi-ruined by HDTV scaling. Jaggies kill it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
good god, the blatant fetch quest in Mean Street has really killed my urge to keep playing. Who thought that was a good idea.

Peff

Rez said:
good god, the blatant fetch quest in Mean Street has really killed my urge to keep playing. Who thought that was a good idea.

What, the Horace/Pete stuff?

Just you wait :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I hate that talking to people fades the screen to black on the way in and out of the conversation, kills my urge to talk to people. :(

Oh yes, the pirate that is in love with the cow is the largest fetch quest of the all... talk with them, go through the cartoon, mean street, go through the cartoon, ostown, find the fucking flowers (one nearly pisses me off to the level of erasing the whole of ostown, im not kidding), give them to Calarabelle, go trough the cartoon, mean street, go through the cartoon, ventureland.

The worst thing of all, I got only one flower, thinking that was it (because I didnt read properly) went thorugh the cartoon, mean street, through cartoon, ventureland, talk with the pirate...
fuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

I think Im starting to hate the Thru the mirror cartoon :lol

gamingeek said:
for instance when I hit Mean Street I thought it was a superficial 2D facade, only to discover that there was a whole new level underneath when you started splashing the thinner about.

Please, tell me more...

one_kill said:
When you finish the game, what happens to your save file? Can you go back to areas that have been blocked off?

Restarts to intro-credits. There's no way to go back, you just have to start the game over.

Amneisac

Oops. I really meant to cancel this preorder, but Amazon shipped it today, I have been sidetracked with all the black Friday / Cyber Monday deals. I guess I'll return it to Amazon? I have never actually returned anything to them.

You should be able to send it back to Amazon with pre-paid shipping, no questions asked. Like most of their customer service, their return/replacement policies are awesomely lenient. They overnighted me replacement headphones and I had a month to ship back the old ones for free.

Amneisac

Yeah, cool, it's just going to cost me $4.98 in shipping (deducted from my refund) because I'm an idiot. I can handle that.

Top Bottom